Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9042 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Nzu girl

Northampton, UK

#6464 Aug 18, 2013
Amina wrote:
I finally have the dry clay I've been looking for, couldn't be happier :D
Where did you find it ?
Nzu girl

Northampton, UK

#6465 Aug 18, 2013
Does anyone know what kind of clay Sikor is ?
SA consumer

Ashburn, VA

#6466 Aug 18, 2013
Earthy lady and Clayer 2....where in johannesburg do u buy ur clay?i hav came across d clay which had d blck thngs in it....but most clays iv purchased ddnt hav...so i gues it depends on whr u get it.....i hvnt been buying clay 4 some time now but i crave it lyk crazy...i wsh i had a frnd wu ate so i cud get a chance 2 bite nw n dn..coz i dnt see myself buying it again....obvious whn u buy u get more n i tend to eat mch.....nt dat i eat @ once but i cnt get it off my mnd so i get 2 hav a bite nw n dn.....i wndr if d cravings wil eva go away....m sooooooo craving i smtyms wsh i cud jst grab a handful of top soil n chew dn spit it out...y is it lyk ds?i wndr y i started eating it....but m glad m nt dat mch addicted coz i cn go 4 mnths ignoring d crave.....jst wana hav a bite nw n dn,m sure dat us nt dat harful....is it?
Udz

Warwick, UK

#6469 Aug 19, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for those who dont understand 1k is less than 1
I bought my clay from mavu and it arrived the other day, I must say i devoured it so quickly, was well worth it. her delivery costs were just too high though because in Kenya with just 1 you can get about 3 packets, and I only bought a pack from mavu and it cost me 17!! But its just because my craving was really bad tht I was willing to spend so much on clay when I know in Kenya its so cheap. Every time i travel back to kenya i usually buy about 20 packets!!
Udz

Warwick, UK

#6470 Aug 19, 2013
I found with the Nakumatt clay, having eaten it for a long time, some packets are usually hit or miss, some are just too gritty while others are just too sticky, i'm not sure though if there people who actually like these types. My favourite ones are the smooth with a real earthy taste that just seem to melt into your mouth. I love biting into them and love the crunchy taste of just chewing them. Its funny how when I lived in Kenya they were pretty much available everywhere and almost all supermarkets sell them but its so hard to get them abroad! Travelling back to Kenya in a few weeks, Nakumatt will definitely be my first stop b4 i get to the house!
Chian

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#6471 Aug 19, 2013
I'm just going to say it. I think all of you are being scammed by Mavu seller. That said this is a vid about eating clay.

http://vimeo.com/70843319
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#6473 Aug 19, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
I finally received my Nakumatt clay order from Mavu today. It taste like the roasted/smoke ayilo. The clay is much harder to bite into its gritty and very crunchy. Im not a fan but Let me know if you would like to try it. I still have your email address & will follow-up with you.
@ Alabama Red thanks again the Nakumatt Clay it arrived today .I'm in the same boat with you NOT A FAN EITHER. However I did enjoy the crunchy,roasted taste but It tasted like the calabar/chalk just smoke and roasted.
Alabama Red

Bessemer, AL

#6474 Aug 19, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @ Alabama Red thanks again the Nakumatt Clay it arrived today .I'm in the same boat with you NOT A FAN EITHER. However I did enjoy the crunchy,roasted taste but It tasted like the calabar/chalk just smoke and roasted.
I'm glad you were able to try it. I will go back on my fast of no clay or dirt until maybe the next time there's something new to try.
Udz

Warwick, UK

#6475 Aug 19, 2013
Chian wrote:
I'm just going to say it. I think all of you are being scammed by Mavu seller. That said this is a vid about eating clay.
http://vimeo.com/70843319
This video makes me want to stop eating clay completely but I'm so addicted. The video mostly talks about pregnant women, does anyone know any health problems that may arise to women who eat clay and are not pregnant? Wondering if there any health problems caused by eating clay, if any of you have been eating clay for a while and know of any health problems kindly do share.
Faatimah

Ashburn, VA

#6476 Aug 20, 2013
I lyk to scratch sand from the wall and eat it,will i become infertile for eating it?
clay junkie

UK

#6477 Aug 20, 2013
Not trying to deface mavu, she runs a business and she has to consider the costs she incurs to get us the clay abroad and shes our best bid if u need it urgently esp. In the uk. My comment was for those who had the ability to source it directly from home.

That being said hope you all enjoying your nakumatt clay.. cant wait to get my hands on fresh red odowa from kenya..

Since: Oct 12

Leigh, UK

#6478 Aug 20, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
Not trying to deface mavu, she runs a business and she has to consider the costs she incurs to get us the clay abroad and shes our best bid if u need it urgently esp. In the uk. My comment was for those who had the ability to source it directly from home.
That being said hope you all enjoying your nakumatt clay.. cant wait to get my hands on fresh red odowa from kenya..
Clay junkie am so jealous . How will you get the fresh red odowa?? Am waiting for a friend to bring me some nakumatt clay and the gray odowa from the market .. My cravings this time are so high ..
Info

Leicester, UK

#6479 Aug 20, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay junkie am so jealous . How will you get the fresh red odowa?? Am waiting for a friend to bring me some nakumatt clay and the gray odowa from the market .. My cravings this time are so high ..
Mmmh, would def want to try that red odowa, is this another clay you can source Mavu..?

Since: Jun 13

Lawrenceburg, IN

#6480 Aug 20, 2013
Does anyone actually like grit in their white dirt? The two orders I have recently got from Mutt and Jeff have had a fair amount of grit. There have been plenty of the smooth crunchy pieces I like too. But it just got me to wondering if anyone actually likes the gritty pieces.

About Mavu I haven't ordered from her. Too high for me but I realize that she has got to make enough money to make it worth it for her. Not just shipping prices but also her time spent sourcing her product getting it from her suppliers then getting it ready to ship it out to her customers. If I were doing her I would be sure to price it high enough to make a little something for my effort.

Cheers
STOP

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6481 Aug 20, 2013
Used to eat it 15 years ago and stopped, got a piece again and got hooked. I am honestly trying to stop, I have recently started feeling discomfort in swallowing and I am attributing it to this bad habit. I swallow it no more, all I do is chew and spit it out and immediately brush, and it gives me the same satisfaction. I am still trying to stop this altogether. I feel like throwing it all out but how can I?
clay junkie

UK

#6482 Aug 21, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Odowa lover! My clay arrived this morning....im doing the moonwalk dance. Now that the roasted clay came through in one piece will try and use the same method to get some red (kisumu) odowa shipped with a few things like royco, pilau spice, tea masala and binzari.
clay junkie

UK

#6483 Aug 21, 2013
Info wrote:
<quoted text> Mmmh, would def want to try that red odowa, is this another clay you can source Mavu..?

Well havent seen it on her website but this is not roasted its mined straight and consumed...others prefer to boil it with salt (dont like these) but tastes very earthy like mavu clay if uv ever tried it. You can type in odowa youtube if you want to make your mouth water.

Since: Oct 12

London, UK

#6484 Aug 21, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Odowa lover! My clay arrived this morning....im doing the moonwalk dance. Now that the roasted clay came through in one piece will try and use the same method to get some red (kisumu) odowa shipped with a few things like royco, pilau spice, tea masala and binzari.
Please gawia me a few pieces . Will reciprocate when mine arrives ... My email is [email protected]
Clay addict

Saint Albans, UK

#6485 Aug 21, 2013
Hi I am from bangladesh I used to eat roasted clay they were grey square chunks, white in the inside, crunchy melts in your mouth, little gritty. Does anyone know where I can get this clay at all?
clayman

Preston, UK

#6486 Aug 21, 2013
its very tasty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scientists trace autism 'pathway' from gene to ... Aug 26 VacTruth dot Com 2
News 13,000-plus in Marion County could lose food st... Aug 26 Let it Be 3
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... Aug 22 Sharon 8
News Living with HIV? Here's why excercise is a prio... (Jul '11) Aug 19 Femon 2
News Tips on how to enjoy eating out and not gain we... Aug 16 pranab31 4
News Medicaid offers nutrition counseling to combat ... Aug 16 Second Hand News 1
News 1 in 4 senior women in U.S. has osteoporosis Aug 13 Elise Gingerich 1
More from around the web