Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9224 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

clay clay

Union, NJ

#6041 May 30, 2013
anyone there to help me out. I have not had clay for a month and I can't control my cravings. I really want to pass by the African store and by some today. confused. to buy or not to buy.
loly

Ashburn, VA

#6042 May 31, 2013
helo derr! I used to see people eating clay and say no to them,they will get sick.but after i bleeding for 2mnths i started buying it from street vendors,owh! Was crazy about the smell especilly the red and white one. Im tryng to quit but its very hard. I really wanna knw wat made me loves this cause i used to hate it.even when i was pregnent i hd never craved for clay
MzLibra

Newport News, VA

#6043 May 31, 2013
loly wrote:
helo derr! I used to see people eating clay and say no to them,they will get sick.but after i bleeding for 2mnths i started buying it from street vendors,owh! Was crazy about the smell especilly the red and white one. Im tryng to quit but its very hard. I really wanna knw wat made me loves this cause i used to hate it.even when i was pregnent i hd never craved for clay
Where do u get your clay from?
deepti

Delhi, India

#6044 May 31, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
Where are you from deepthi ?
frst of ol my name is deepti not deepthi..plzz i juz cant bear ny1 pronouncng my name in a wrng way...n btw m from india delhi...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6045 May 31, 2013
loly wrote:
There is a proven link between being anaemic and cravings like what you are experiencing. Some people say that eating clay and similar things causes anaemia, and some say anaemia causes the cravings: based on my experience and others I have read about it is being anaemic that is a cause of cravings, and I believe it is because the body is desperately trying to nourish itself and instinctively turns to clay and things that are clay-like (and we tend to also be drawn to some things that aren't really going to nourish us, like cornstarch, because our bodies are fooled into being attracted to them I think because they are sort of like clay).

Some people have had good results with a reduction or complete loss of the craving for clay after taking iron for a while and/or healthy eating including raw food. I have been taking iron regularly lately, as well as a good multi-vitamin and drinking fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies and already I see a reduction in cravings. I'm so happy about that! I can walk right by a soft, earthy rock wall now that used to make my mouth water! I'm still eating chalk though, but I think that is mainly because it has become a habit.

In a way I would be sad if I lost the cravings completely, because I enjoy clay and similar things so much. It would be good to get the cravings under control though.
Alexx

Decatur, GA

#6046 May 31, 2013
I made my little chunks which I really wouldn't consider chunks . When I think of chunks of think of like a big amount of clay , like a handful of clay . Mmmm . Anyways I made my "little chunks" of red dirt that I dug from my grandma back yard to last me through this whole week . Which is good because I mean when I say these chunks were very small like not even a mouth full , one chew on it & it's gone . Yes , that small . But it lasted me a week . I guess I can say I'm eating in moderation . But I'm really craving for white dirt . Ughhh that taste , the creamy texture & the crunch you get when you bite into it it . Mmm I'm really craving some right now .

Did anybody receive their orders from mavu yet ? How's her clay ? Did you buy all 3 or just the original chunks ?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#6047 May 31, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I made my little chunks which I really wouldn't consider chunks . When I think of chunks of think of like a big amount of clay , like a handful of clay . Mmmm . Anyways I made my "little chunks" of red dirt that I dug from my grandma back yard to last me through this whole week . Which is good because I mean when I say these chunks were very small like not even a mouth full , one chew on it & it's gone . Yes , that small . But it lasted me a week . I guess I can say I'm eating in moderation . But I'm really craving for white dirt . Ughhh that taste , the creamy texture & the crunch you get when you bite into it it . Mmm I'm really craving some right now .
Did anybody receive their orders from mavu yet ? How's her clay ? Did you buy all 3 or just the original chunks ?
Hi Alexx, glad to hear that you've had the chance to have a little dirt (even if the chunks are small).

How does the dirt you dug compare to Leslie's red dirt? Was it just as good? How come you could only dig a small amount? Did you not get the chance to dig more while you were there?
Alexx

Decatur, GA

#6048 Jun 1, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Alexx, glad to hear that you've had the chance to have a little dirt (even if the chunks are small).
How does the dirt you dug compare to Leslie's red dirt? Was it just as good? How come you could only dig a small amount? Did you not get the chance to dig more while you were there?
Compared to Leslie dirt ... I will have to say Leslie is better because her grit kinda melts away and the dirt I dug had a lot of grit and it felt like little rocks was just stuck in my mouth . Literally , I would chew it a few hours before bed and the next morning I will brush my teeth and rinse with mouth wash & ill chew gum a little afterwards and the grit will come inside my gum and I'm just chewing it . Something I really hate .

I could only dig a small amount because I was afraid somebody would come outside and see me digging . Also I was just like "I only need just a little sample to satisfy my cravings ."

But if I had a chance , the whole side of her house would be laid out w/ a lot of red chunks of dirt to dry and for me to take home .

I also had to take my dirt home to let it dry out because I was digging the dirt when the sun was going down do so it wasn't our there long enough to get dried by the sun and create that earthy taste that we all love .
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#6049 Jun 2, 2013
Wow! Can anyone translate in English what these ladies are saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#6050 Jun 2, 2013
Ayilo kills softly I can read that ! But I would like to hears all the details.
sophie

Central District, Hong Kong

#6051 Jun 2, 2013
I jst bought some goood white dirt nd it is so cheap in nigeria i love it when it is toasted it is crumbly nd hard nd so earthy i jst loooove clay
Alabama Red

United States

#6052 Jun 2, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
Wow! Can anyone translate in English what these ladies are saying?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Hi Mary, this is a great video. Yes I would like to know what the ladies are saying also it would help many of us to stop eating clay. It's been a month for me and I'm feeling great I take iron pills & vitamins and I can tell I'm not as sluggish as before.
clay4life

UK

#6053 Jun 2, 2013
The title of the video is misleading as it doesn't mention reports of death by clay lol ppl need to calm down. The nurse in the video said when the women eat the clay the babies are born with their eyes stuck together because of the clay. Seriously!?
ackee

Patchogue, NY

#6054 Jun 2, 2013
clay4life wrote:
The title of the video is misleading as it doesn't mention reports of death by clay lol ppl need to calm down. The nurse in the video said when the women eat the clay the babies are born with their eyes stuck together because of the clay. Seriously!?
yes I need to see the science behind that. Don't babies usually come out with their eyes close. they usually have stuff from the fact they just entered the world and need to be cleaned off. Their must have been some good in clay because it was the main ingredient in kaopectate. I do not see anyone who was harmed from this. Wow. it is also strange that the selling of clay has been going on for so long in these countries and now they are highlighting the dangers. You are seeing more and more videos about eating clay. Clay in moderation is ok. Is this a serious problem in these countries. I think if it was seriously harming people they would probably put a ban on it or deem it illegal.(lol)
ackee

Patchogue, NY

#6055 Jun 2, 2013
I believe in that video I saw a man buying clay from the market as well. How do we explain his craving if in deed he is going to consume it.
Love earthy clay

Ashburn, VA

#6056 Jun 3, 2013
I m also m.p from india there r found red clay full of iron u dont make this clay chunks i m eating this clay wow its so tasty i m dip in water this clay not melt in water i m wash this clay after drying this clay taste so yummy gritty earthy not stick in mouth
meh

Faridabad, India

#6057 Jun 3, 2013
The video is quite inspiring but I think there is a misunderstanding in the relation between the child birth with the disabilities. I mean there are lots of women who ate clay or have been eating who were once pregnant. BTW brought fullers earth after the gap of 4 months and slate pencils for the FIRST TIME! I couldn't resist to buy some after reading comments but It isn't made for my taste bud, but I am sure I'm going to chew all the 15 pieces just because of availability!:D
Miley

London, UK

#6058 Jun 3, 2013
2 months and no clay or fullers earth.. The cravings return smtimes but I am in control !!
Feels great !:)
Horny toad

United States

#6059 Jun 3, 2013
Eating second hand semen from your wife is much healthier and more fun for all 3!!!
sophie

Central District, Hong Kong

#6060 Jun 3, 2013
My sister jst sent me 2 garbage bags full of white an red clay nd a little of yellow so if u want some lettme know

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... (Mar '15) Thu TipsyFromCentralC... 11
News Gene mutation appears to increase risk of Parki... Nov 28 Stephany McDowell 1
News British Medical Journal piece says evidence doe... Nov 26 VitaminD 1
News Pig behaviour, human nutrition experts take sta... Nov 17 scared yet 1
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) Nov 13 CoolGuy 46
News Can exercise detoxify the body? Health experts ... (Dec '12) Nov 12 Karla72 8
News Spices and diabetes: Urgent need for more human... Nov 9 Josef Mitchell 1
More from around the web