Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ati

London, UK

#4775 Mar 9, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I look forward to reading your opinion when you get the red. Yeah, 15 is
a lot but it makes sense for me to order it like that. Only thing is it
will be difficult to control if I really love it (the more I have the
more I'll want!)
u eat lots of clay .u dont wont to stop eat it?
mahi

Delhi, India

#4776 Mar 10, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
<quoted text>
I will do! Any news about my clay hunting search and progress will be posted here as soon as I hear of it. You ladies will be the first to know!
And yes I'm all for the chunks/natural state so I shall be on the lookout!
Hey MAVU SELLER....!
what type of clay do u sell....what is the namr of that clay....i visited ur site...the clay in the first pic looks delicious n it looks similar to multani mitti...infact bettrr than multani mitti....!!
whts the name of this clay?!!!
ati

London, UK

#4777 Mar 10, 2013
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey MAVU SELLER....!
what type of clay do u sell....what is the namr of that clay....i
visited ur site...the clay in the first pic looks delicious n it looks
similar to multani mitti...infact bettrr than multani mitti....!!
whts the name of this clay?!!!
hey mahi how many clays u eat?

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4778 Mar 10, 2013
Thanks Mz Libra for the explanation. Actually I am expecting my second child and in the last trimester. I have been craving heavily fir clay. I have always been a clay eater but now I consume heavily. On Friday I bought 400g calaba and I finished within an hour. Normally I buy 500g for a wk. I feel like a clay junkie now and guilty as hell since one cannot always know the source of the african clay. I feel like a selfish being who doesn't even care about the unborn baby and heed only to my yearnings. That's why I want to try the cornstarch. I know for sure I wouldn't be craving that much when I get used it since it's actually not my thing. But to fins a better substitute.
Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Mary! I've been eating cornstarch for about 5 years now. Argo in the box is the best. I also eat other brands as well. Each brand has its own taste. What brand did u purchase?

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4779 Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for taking your time to explain. I bought one which is white and they've written on it Maismehl verstärker which mean in English cornflour starch. It tasted to me like maize flour and nothing special. I was kinda disappointed cos I expected something different after all the yummy stuff I have read about cornstarch. Hope to find the right one soon.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mary, you need to make sure you've bought the right thing; if you have, I guess corn starch just isn't for you. I don't know what it would be called in Germany, but I've bought it in the UK and it was called corn flour BUT I've also seen a different product marketed as corn flour which is not the stuff that we eat. The 'wrong' corn flour is yellowish, more like what I'd describe as ground corn meal, but the 'right' type is a pure white, soft powder.
My favourite brand in England is called Brown & Polson, I find it to be the closest to Argo - don't know if they sell it in Germany. I have to again warn, though, that people should really think hard before trying starch because, if you like it, it can be very addictive (have a look at the video I posted a few pages back).
As others have said, different brands of cornstarch taste different. The all-time favourite of mine is the Argo that comes in the box, and from reading this and other forums I know that lots of other people prefer this too. It has a unique taste, and a nice soft but dry, squeaky texture.
Oh, just went and tasted some yellow corn meal (had never been drawn to that before). Gritty, but I didn't find it that bad actually.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#4780 Mar 10, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary quoted Caribbean Clay Lover, and that made me realize that I hadn't seen any posts by her in a long while (unless I've missed them).
We seem to have a few new people to the forum, which is nice, but some of our 'old' regulars are quiet for example CCL and Chalk Lover. Adaku hasn't been posting much either. Ladies, I'm sure I'm not the only one that misses your comments...if you still read the forum, how about letting us know how you're doing when you get the chance?
Alexx, if you're still reading how about posting too to let us know how you're doing?
ATC,how are you?been following the forum ofcourse,have been in and out of the hospital from overindulging...lol.I haven't commented becos while I wish to quit and hope some of us with mega self control really keep it that way,I knw the crave can only be dealt with on a personal basis.I understand the crave and will never fault anyone who craves it cos I was worse anyway,having said that I just wanna stop.I have had enough..now there is so much variety,from mavu,leslie,soulsistas etc.haven't had clay in a while,not even on any iron tabs @ all.to does who love our habit,enjoy....just remember to be in control...xx clay sure has its side effects.much to my pica family
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#4781 Mar 10, 2013
Was gonna say *much love to my pica famil*
ati

London, UK

#4782 Mar 10, 2013
adaku wrote:
Was gonna say *much love to my pica famil*
hey are u crazy about clay
mahi

Delhi, India

#4783 Mar 10, 2013
ati wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mahi how many clays u eat?
i hadn't ate clay for almost 5 months.....
i used to eat 250g in 2-3 days......!!
but then i took interval of 6-7 months.....
simply i eat 7-8 times in a year..n that also only 250g.....!!
when i was a little kid(5 to 13 years old).......i used eat slate pencils,normal paint from walls,cement,bricks,chalk..... !!
but now my cravings are reduced...n i eat only multani mitti occasionally only......!!
but i am worried that the things i have ingested all my lige..may result in kidney or gall bladder stone...!!
i am really worried about it......in a year i have to face bad stomachache.....!!My family knows about it..but they think that i eat it because i like its taste ...but they dont understand my feelings....!!When my mother was prgnant with she ate baked multani mitti...n my paternal aunt n grandma also used to eat it....my elder sister told me this......!!:)
i am oly 17....i cannot go to see a doctot on my own....but i also cannot tell my mom to take to doctor.....as she warned me but i didnt pay any attention to it....n now i am regreting...i just hope that i will be okay.....!!
hey how old are you all....n have ever faced any problem with eating clay......??
ati

London, UK

#4784 Mar 10, 2013
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
i hadn't ate clay for almost 5 months.....
i used to eat 250g in 2-3 days......!!
but then i took interval of 6-7 months.....
simply i eat 7-8 times in a year..n that also only 250g.....!!
when i was a little kid(5 to 13 years old).......i used eat slate
pencils,normal paint from walls,cement,bricks,chalk..... !!
but now my cravings are reduced...n i eat only multani mitti
occasionally only......!!
but i am worried that the things i have ingested all my lige..may result
in kidney or gall bladder stone...!!
i am really worried about it......in a year i have to face bad
stomachache.....!!My family knows about it..but they think that i eat it
because i like its taste ...but they dont understand my
feelings....!!When my mother was prgnant with she ate baked multani
mitti...n my paternal aunt n grandma also used to eat it....my elder
sister told me this......!!:)
i am oly 17....i cannot go to see a doctot on my own....but i also
cannot tell my mom to take to doctor.....as she warned me but i didnt
pay any attention to it....n now i am regreting...i just hope that i
will be okay.....!!
hey how old are you all....n have ever faced any problem with eating
clay......??
when i was 17 ifirst time i tested that. i m 23. but i m not addicted that. i eat once month. an just 2,3 spoon.
ati

London, UK

#4785 Mar 10, 2013
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
i hadn't ate clay for almost 5 months.....
i used to eat 250g in 2-3 days......!!
but then i took interval of 6-7 months.....
simply i eat 7-8 times in a year..n that also only 250g.....!!
when i was a little kid(5 to 13 years old).......i used eat slate
pencils,normal paint from walls,cement,bricks,chalk..... !!
but now my cravings are reduced...n i eat only multani mitti
occasionally only......!!
but i am worried that the things i have ingested all my lige..may result
in kidney or gall bladder stone...!!
i am really worried about it......in a year i have to face bad
stomachache.....!!My family knows about it..but they think that i eat it
because i like its taste ...but they dont understand my
feelings....!!When my mother was prgnant with she ate baked multani
mitti...n my paternal aunt n grandma also used to eat it....my elder
sister told me this......!!:)
i am oly 17....i cannot go to see a doctot on my own....but i also
cannot tell my mom to take to doctor.....as she warned me but i didnt
pay any attention to it....n now i am regreting...i just hope that i
will be okay.....!!
hey how old are you all....n have ever faced any problem with eating
clay......??
i know this is bad for my helth thats y i stop this eating. sometime just for fun i eat it. i have no health problem. i drink lots of water. when i eat. u will be allright. i think u should try homeyopathic medicine.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#4786 Mar 10, 2013
ati wrote:
<quoted text>
hey are u crazy about clay
hahahahaha,I was such an addict!infact I was looking for where to buy clay from,that was how I found this forum.this forum made me feel better.at some point ,I tot I was crazy.I would get a kilo,grind to powder,heat it in a pot just to change the taste if I find the initial taste boring,get my favourite novel..jackie collins,martina cole!and scoop with a spoon in to my mouth.the taste was heavenly.the days I don't find clay,I'm kinda aggressive.I can travel to toWn just to get 1kg of clay that would finish in less than 48hrs...so I really was clay crazy.I'm better now,been clean for a while now.urges are not there now...feel so good
Soul Sista

Marlborough, UK

#4787 Mar 10, 2013
dirtnclay wrote:
<quoted text>
Do have an offer for chunks??
No not yet but will publish it on the forum when there is an offer.
ati

London, UK

#4788 Mar 10, 2013
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
i hadn't ate clay for almost 5 months.....
i used to eat 250g in 2-3 days......!!
but then i took interval of 6-7 months.....
simply i eat 7-8 times in a year..n that also only 250g.....!!
when i was a little kid(5 to 13 years old).......i used eat slate
pencils,normal paint from walls,cement,bricks,chalk..... !!
but now my cravings are reduced...n i eat only multani mitti
occasionally only......!!
but i am worried that the things i have ingested all my lige..may result
in kidney or gall bladder stone...!!
i am really worried about it......in a year i have to face bad
stomachache.....!!My family knows about it..but they think that i eat it
because i like its taste ...but they dont understand my
feelings....!!When my mother was prgnant with she ate baked multani
mitti...n my paternal aunt n grandma also used to eat it....my elder
sister told me this......!!:)
i am oly 17....i cannot go to see a doctot on my own....but i also
cannot tell my mom to take to doctor.....as she warned me but i didnt
pay any attention to it....n now i am regreting...i just hope that i
will be okay.....!!
hey how old are you all....n have ever faced any problem with eating
clay......??
u deffynetly go to doctor. bcoz ur age is small. this is ur growing days.
ati

London, UK

#4789 Mar 10, 2013
adaku wrote:
<quoted text>hahahahaha,I was such an addict!infact I
was looking for where to buy clay from,that was how I found this
forum.this forum made me feel better.at some point ,I tot I was crazy.I
would get a kilo,grind to powder,heat it in a pot just to change the
taste if I find the initial taste boring,get my favourite novel..jackie
collins,martina cole!and scoop with a spoon in to my mouth.the taste was
heavenly.the days I don't find clay,I'm kinda aggressive.I can travel
to toWn just to get 1kg of clay that would finish in less than
48hrs...so I really was clay crazy.I'm better now,been clean for a while
now.urges are not there now...feel so good
wow u stop eat this stuff.:-)
ati

London, UK

#4790 Mar 10, 2013
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
No not yet but will publish it on the forum when there is an offer.
hey u sold this stuff?

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4791 Mar 10, 2013
I'm really happy for you and you have somehow managed to conquer this habit which we all know it's not easy and only hope. I also managed to be clayfree for more than a year when I came new in Germany because I didn't know then how I was gonna satisfy my cravings but then I found an afroshop where I could get it for less money. I started the addiction again. I hope to stop too. It's all about having a strong will and determination. On friday I eat 400g in one hour and I think I exaggerated a bit. The clay was so good to eat that I couldn't stop once I started. Now I have to find a a way of emptying my bowel. I can't even take any laxative since I'm pregnant. That's my worry now. Maybe this should give me a reason to stop for good
adaku wrote:
<quoted Im text>hahahahaha,I was such an addict!infact I was looking for where to buy clay from,that was how I found this forum.this forum made me feel better.at some point ,I tot I was crazy.I would get a kilo,grind to powder,heat it in a pot just to change the taste if I find the initial taste boring,get my favourite novel..jackie collins,martina cole!and scoop with a spoon in to my mouth.the taste was heavenly.the days I don't find clay,I'm kinda aggressive.I can travel to toWn just to get 1kg of clay that would finish in less than 48hrs...so I really was clay crazy.I'm better now,been clean for a while now.urges are not there now...feel so good
Mz libra

Chesapeake, OH

#4792 Mar 10, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
Thanks Mz Libra for the explanation. Actually I am expecting my second child and in the last trimester. I have been craving heavily fir clay. I have always been a clay eater but now I consume heavily. On Friday I bought 400g calaba and I finished within an hour. Normally I buy 500g for a wk. I feel like a clay junkie now and guilty as hell since one cannot always know the source of the african clay. I feel like a selfish being who doesn't even care about the unborn baby and heed only to my yearnings. That's why I want to try the cornstarch. I know for sure I wouldn't be craving that much when I get used it since it's actually not my thing. But to fins a better substitute. <quoted text>
Hi Mary, that's corn flour starch. Very different from cornstarch. I hope u find the right brand too. Don't feel guilty just try to cut back. Your body is just craving the mineral deficiency.

Since: Jan 13

Dallas, TX

#4793 Mar 10, 2013
I'm out of clay but itll be here tomorrow. not going too eat cornstarch though.

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#4794 Mar 10, 2013
Finally got my clay from Leslie!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Sat Lisa 7
News How to Be A Better Medicare Patient Dec 4 Expensive 1
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov 30 old hippy 2
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Nov 27 SSWOI 14
News BOE reminding parents of outside food policy Nov 24 Parent 2
News Energy drinks 'cause mental health problems and... Nov 20 Suezanne 4
News Q&A with... Dr. Wendy Wolfson, a board-certifie... Nov 17 humanspirit 1
More from around the web