Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9234 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4752 Mar 9, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
I got my red clay"" and I must say its gonna take some getting use to I just can't jump into it like I did the white dirt! Maybe because the white was so close to the cornstarch!!! But these are totally two different kind of dirt!!"Im gonna try the brown paper bag to see will that give it a boostTry it again in a few days! But I think I'm gonna stick with my white dirt!!! And try other clays!
Thanks for that, but can you tell us a bit more - like compare the taste/texture/smell between the two types?

Sounds like you were disappointed, but maybe you'll like it better when you try it again.

I'm seriously thinking of (finally) ordering from Leslie, since I have been eager to try red clay. I'm trying to decide how much white and how much red to get (if I order I'll have to order 15 bags at once, because the shipping works out cheaper that way). Don't want to be disappointed though!)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4753 Mar 9, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up eating red dirt so I'm quite use to the taste. I have ordered the white dirt several times and still have not gotten use to the taste. I'm waiting on my Ghana clay from Soul Sista & then I will order the red dirt from Leslie.
Hi Alabama Red, you sound like a red dirt expert! Would you mind comparing the taste/texture/smell between the red and the white to help us out?

It seems to me like the red would have an earthier taste? Do you think so?

Thanks.
Marry Tyler

United States

#4755 Mar 9, 2013
@All thing clay I also ordered from Leslie I will keep you posted when it arrive and share my opinion as well.Red isn't one of my favorite but I have ate some before & I love clay and I'm like a clay taste tester.(LOL)15 bags is a lot of clay to order at one time but I understand cause the shipping cost is expensive.I think Alabama Red will be our expert on Red Clay (Right Alabama)wink!!!
Alabama Red

Tucker, GA

#4756 Mar 9, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Alabama Red, you sound like a red dirt expert! Would you mind comparing the taste/texture/smell between the red and the white to help us out?
It seems to me like the red would have an earthier taste? Do you think so?
Thanks.
Yes the red dirt has more texture than the white & is crunchy with a little grit. The white dirt is creamy & smooth it reminds me of Argo starch from back in the day. I will have to order from Leslie to see if the red clay is what I'm use too. I prefer my red clay also to have a bit of a sour taste as well.
zaheera

Brighton, UK

#4757 Mar 9, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I can get odowa from kenya whenever relatives or friends who are non judgemental visit ... Sometimes odowa can be dissappointing , it may not have the actual earthy taste... Other times its superb. I have a friend coming over on the 14th and she promised me some nakumatt clay .. If you live in the uk I could share ... I find nakumatt clay safer to eat coz the taste does not vary much ...
hi there ...you just said about nakumatt if you could share it will be great I am also in UK....I will pay the cost and the expenses....
Alabama Red

Tucker, GA

#4758 Mar 9, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the red dirt has more texture than the white & is crunchy with a little grit. The white dirt is creamy & smooth it reminds me of Argo starch from back in the day. I will have to order from Leslie to see if the red clay is what I'm use too. I prefer my red clay also to have a bit of a sour taste as well.
The red dirt does have more of a earthy taste than the white dirt. I will be ordering the red clay in a few weeks from Leslie & see if it's the taste that I'm missing in clay.
Mz libra

Chesapeake, OH

#4759 Mar 9, 2013
I'm going to try the red dirt from Leslie too. Since I'm out of white dirt ( for now) I've been eating cornstarch. I took my cornstarch out of the paper that it comes in when it's in the box. I poured it directly into the cardboard box itself. I took the top off and let air dry. OMG!!!!!!!!!! So dry & creamy!!!!!!!!!! It's like the texture and the taste changed bcuz it was directly against the dry cardboard. So I'm like that's how my dirt taste after being in the brown paper bag. Once I bit into it so dry and creamy..... White Dirt & Cornstarch the Best!!!!!!!!!! Have a great Pica day!!!!!!

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4760 Mar 9, 2013
Can any one do me a favor and describe the taste of cornstarch? I don't really get how it can taste good. I have tried it after reading from this forum how people crave it and honestly the taste shocked me. Nothing to my imagination. I spat all out. I don't know whether I bought the wrong starch or not. I'm in Germany and they don't have this Argo starch I always read about.
Mz libra

Chesapeake, OH

#4761 Mar 9, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
Can any one do me a favor and describe the taste of cornstarch? I don't really get how it can taste good. I have tried it after reading from this forum how people crave it and honestly the taste shocked me. Nothing to my imagination. I spat all out. I don't know whether I bought the wrong starch or not. I'm in Germany and they don't have this Argo starch I always read about.
Hi Mary! I've been eating cornstarch for about 5 years now. Argo in the box is the best. I also eat other brands as well. Each brand has its own taste. What brand did u purchase?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4762 Mar 9, 2013
Marry Tyler wrote:
@All thing clay I also ordered from Leslie I will keep you posted when it arrive and share my opinion as well.Red isn't one of my favorite but I have ate some before & I love clay and I'm like a clay taste tester.(LOL)15 bags is a lot of clay to order at one time but I understand cause the shipping cost is expensive.I think Alabama Red will be our expert on Red Clay (Right Alabama)wink!!!
I look forward to reading your opinion when you get the red. Yeah, 15 is a lot but it makes sense for me to order it like that. Only thing is it will be difficult to control if I really love it (the more I have the more I'll want!)
Mary Tyler

United States

#4763 Mar 9, 2013
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
This is good news. Wish I was there to help you enjoy that lovely treat when you get it. I tell you if i ever find somewhere like this place for eg. http://youtu.be/XRb5v8FMUlI
I'd never move!! I'd dig it, dry it and drift away in clayful bliss lol.
<quoted text>
I seen this video yesterday for the first time What type of clay is this?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4764 Mar 9, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, that sounds like my kind of clay. I know clay can vary, hope that Leslie's is like that.
huffus

Rochester, PA

#4765 Mar 9, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …
I heard of other people who craved the Flavor like they sensed it good eating
LCH

Kennesaw, GA

#4768 Mar 9, 2013
Turns out pregnant women aren't the only ones who eat dirt. A new study reveals a surprising incidence of pica—craving and consuming nonfood substances—among men.

Conducted in Madagascar, where pica is common, the research is the first to identify a population where the practice is highly prevalent among men, the scientists say. In fact, the men in the study ate nonfood items at least as much as pregnant women and adolescents, whom previous case studies had shown to be the main pica practitioners.
LCH

Kennesaw, GA

#4769 Mar 9, 2013
Newser)– We scrub away germs to ensure good health, but in the long term, our "squeaky-clean" culture may be backfiring on us. Our immune systems developed to fend off a constant threat of invading organisms, learning to distinguish helpful and harmful invaders throughout life, writes Jeff Leach in the New York Times. Today, though, we deny our bodies the opportunity to grapple with those invaders, leading to a "minimally challenged and thus overreactive immune system." There's growing evidence that the phenomenon is contributing to ballooning allergies and autoimmune diseases.

If we faced some of our microbial "old friends" once again, research suggests it "would help avoid an overreaction of an otherwise healthy immune response," thus acting as a bulwark against diseases ranging from Type I diabetes to allergies. "The too-shiny produce and triple-washed and bagged leafy greens in our local grocery aisle are hardly recognized by our immune system as food," Leach points out. It's just another reason to go to your local farmer's market, where you might get a little more dirt in your dinner. Click through for Leach's full piece.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4770 Mar 9, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> I seen this video yesterday for the first time What type of clay is this?
Mary quoted Caribbean Clay Lover, and that made me realize that I hadn't seen any posts by her in a long while (unless I've missed them).

We seem to have a few new people to the forum, which is nice, but some of our 'old' regulars are quiet for example CCL and Chalk Lover. Adaku hasn't been posting much either. Ladies, I'm sure I'm not the only one that misses your comments...if you still read the forum, how about letting us know how you're doing when you get the chance?

Alexx, if you're still reading how about posting too to let us know how you're doing?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4771 Mar 9, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
Hi Mary, you need to make sure you've bought the right thing; if you have, I guess corn starch just isn't for you. I don't know what it would be called in Germany, but I've bought it in the UK and it was called corn flour BUT I've also seen a different product marketed as corn flour which is not the stuff that we eat. The 'wrong' corn flour is yellowish, more like what I'd describe as ground corn meal, but the 'right' type is a pure white, soft powder.

My favourite brand in England is called Brown & Polson, I find it to be the closest to Argo - don't know if they sell it in Germany. I have to again warn, though, that people should really think hard before trying starch because, if you like it, it can be very addictive (have a look at the video I posted a few pages back).

As others have said, different brands of cornstarch taste different. The all-time favourite of mine is the Argo that comes in the box, and from reading this and other forums I know that lots of other people prefer this too. It has a unique taste, and a nice soft but dry, squeaky texture.

Oh, just went and tasted some yellow corn meal (had never been drawn to that before). Gritty, but I didn't find it that bad actually.
Soul Sista

Marlborough, UK

#4772 Mar 9, 2013
I am having a promo on the Ghanaian clay from now till midnight on Monday 11th March. You get 9 pieces egg shaped moulded and 1 piece chunk (10 pieces in all) for £1 instead of the usual 6 pieces of moulded clay. Please send all your orders to [email protected]
dirtnclay

London, UK

#4773 Mar 9, 2013
Soul Sista wrote:
I am having a promo on the Ghanaian clay from now till midnight on Monday 11th March. You get 9 pieces egg shaped moulded and 1 piece chunk (10 pieces in all) for £1 instead of the usual 6 pieces of moulded clay. Please send all your orders to [email protected]
Do have an offer for chunks??
Marry Tyler

United States

#4774 Mar 9, 2013
Goodevening Ladies for all the U.S.Ghana clay lovers Ghana Clay is being sold in the U.S.too with fast delivery by a lady on the forum [email protected]
1bag 20 pieces for $10.00.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Restricting Food Stamp Users From Buying Ju... 10 hr Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News 14 Arrested In Raids Related to$16 Million Food... 19 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
News How liberals undermine food stamps Thu Texxy the Selfie Cat 10
News No student should go hungry in Halton Feb 21 Mac 1
News How liberals undermine the food stamp program Feb 18 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News USDA: Percent Of Residents Receiving SNAP Benef... Feb 12 Texxy the Selfie Cat 1
News GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver (Dec '14) Feb 9 Texxy the Selfie Cat 23
More from around the web