Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,457
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Soul Sista

Stockport, UK

#4593 Mar 6, 2013
clay diva wrote:
Hi ladies I have a question concerning molded Ghana clay . Were does these little rock like pebbles come in with the molding of Ghana clay ? I seen on the video were water is only to the clay then mixed and shape .Soul Sista can you tell me what is added in the Ghana clay when being mix and molded?
The clay is dug up from the ground in big rocky chunks and pounded, otherwise it would be impossible to bite into it or you will need a hammer to break it up and then water added to it and moulded. Some people add salt to it before moulding and some are roasted after moulding and some are not. All these steps are peculiar to the region in which the clay is dug since clay can be got from all the regions in Ghana. The pebbles are in the clay dug up from the ground before it is pounded and would be impossible to pick it out. There are some regions that have very creamy clay without pebbles so even though most Ghanaian clay comes with pebbles, you will also get some that come without pebbles. Also the taste from all the different regions vary, it is not the same as well as the chunky clay that is sold is also not always the same even though that is dug from just 1 region. Hopes this answers your question.
xxx

Acworth, GA

#4596 Mar 6, 2013
Hhhhhh
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4597 Mar 6, 2013
mary tyler wrote:
@ Soul Sista I drink 1 glass of water to every 2-3 egg shape clay but I will increase . No constipation yet every thing good on that part.Lol I am indeed cutting back i have only ate 7 for today ..I leave them home while Im working so i wont eat ...@ dirtyclay did you see the photo of were Leslie dugged the red clay from ? Its. Looks like it in a dessert clay ( earthy). Well If you order plz let me know If Its sandy or gritty.
I just looked at that picture of where the red clay is dug from. Looks so good, wish I had something like that in my backyard.
dirtnclay

UK

#4599 Mar 6, 2013
What does Leslie mean when she says its sold as a novelty item?
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#4604 Mar 6, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the sound of that clay! Unfortunately nobody sells clay chunks here, the only clay you can buy is clay powder.
Can't wait until I travel to try a variety of clays. Mavu Seller said she's on the lookout for that Nakumatt clay - it would be great if she could source some.
In the meantime I'm seriously thinking of ordering some clay from Leslie, especially since she has red clay in stock now and I've been wanting to try red.
you should try it cost 2.50 a bag
clay diva

Fort Worth, TX

#4606 Mar 6, 2013
Soul Sista thank you for Answering my question . I sure would like to try some but without pebbles.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4607 Mar 6, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> you should try it cost 2.50 a bag
Seriously thinking about it, looks and sounds so tempting. Would be nice to see somebody review it first though, before I invest in the shipping.
clay lover 1

Fort Worth, TX

#4609 Mar 6, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
Hi Ladies!
Another announcement!
My supplier has managed to find me some white clay from Tanzania similar to the ghana shaped clay. Totally unexpected!
http://mavu.bigcartel.com/product/tanzania-wh...
Apparently it's a cross between white dirt and ghana clay but I personally haven't tried it yet. But yes of course it will be on the menu soon. Just love how theMavy choice in clay is expanding! Such a leap from two years ago when there was pretty much nothing right!?
Please keep the 'I WANT IN' emails coming through if you haven't done so yet. Trust me when I say you don't want to miss out.:)
http://mavu.bigcartel.com/contact
Have a nice day!
. Mavuseller you continuely post about all these differnt clays but your not even back up and running . All these " I Want In" emails for what another gimmic. I was reading back post and your customers service wasnt to appealing not responding back e-mails.I sure hope you are Serious about selling clay because a lots of Ladies " Want In". When are you gonna be honestly up and running.
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4610 Mar 6, 2013
Kadhi clay found a paint shop but this very soft earthy but not crunchy this is melt in your mouth but not stick i like only multani because this is hard clay but icrave it smoothly this melt in mouth and get earthy taste
royal

Hyderabad, India

#4611 Mar 6, 2013
Rinkie wrote:
Kadhi clay found a paint shop but this very soft earthy but not crunchy this is melt in your mouth but not stick i like only multani because this is hard clay but icrave it smoothly this melt in mouth and get earthy taste
Rinkie you dont like kadhi? i like it very much . i too buy in paint shops only .
SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

#4612 Mar 7, 2013
I always crave 4 some clay afta having my meal.........i hate dis n m nt touching any clay...hope d craves goz away soon. *sad*
mobu consumer

South Africa

#4613 Mar 7, 2013
@ SA ex eater, Hi I'm also in South Africa,I stay in Pretoria, If you really want to stop eating clay, you should try eating raw foods, like carrots, lettuce cucumber basically try eating foods that are in their natural state, uncooked, I tried it for sometime and it helped but as soon as I ate cooked foods again my cravings were back. I noticed u said there's white clay in jhb, I only come across the beige, brown and dark brown ones, and in pta I only come across the beige and red one. I am originally from the Free-state and there is a lot of white clay, its my favorite type of clay. Please tell me where in jhb u got the white clay from
mahi

New Delhi, India

#4614 Mar 7, 2013
royal wrote:
<quoted text>
Rinkie you dont like kadhi? i like it very much . i too buy in paint shops only .
hey wat do u tell the shopkeeper....usse kya kehte ho ?!i mean sidha ye kehte ho kya ki kadhi mitti de do....?!!
Mel

South Africa

#4615 Mar 7, 2013
My beige clay is almost finished, is there any1 in SA who can send me sum red clay, I really wanna taste it? Wil pay for it.
mahi

New Delhi, India

#4616 Mar 7, 2013
N yeah i too feel awkward...when i have to go to same shop twice or thrice a month for multani mitti....n the lol factor is that the shopkeeper n his wife have asked me many times what i do with this mitti...i tell them that i use it as face mask...!!:-P :-D ;)
royal

Hyderabad, India

#4617 Mar 7, 2013
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
hey wat do u tell the shopkeeper....usse kya kehte ho ?!i mean sidha ye kehte ho kya ki kadhi mitti de do....?!!
mahi just ask kadi
Indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#4618 Mar 7, 2013
meh wrote:
<quoted text>
hey indian chalkie! you might get fuller's chunks from the place where daily usage products are been sold locally known to be 'kriyane ki dukane':D. they are relatively cheap around 40&#8377; for 1 kg! I'm so craving these different types of clay, they look so good to me! but unfortunately only multani is sold here & I don't think most of the people know this could be eaten as well. I am finished with my 250gm of multani matti within 2 weeks and it looks awkward to go again and again and buy from the same place, they may wonder why so much of multani. lol Happy eating to everyone :)
Hey Meh...Will try to check the super markets but I'm pretty sure no one stocks Multani Mitti chunks, They all sell the packaged powdered form :0( It would be great if I could lay my hands on some chunks... And for everyone who's been wanting to see what kadi is...It looks exactly like the white dirt. It might even be the same thing...lol
indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#4620 Mar 7, 2013
royal wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rinkie/royal,

Which paint shops is Kadhi available in ? And what name is it referred to as, Kadi or something else ? Does anyone know what purpose it is used for ? I mean just to check

Since: Oct 12

Andover, UK

#4621 Mar 7, 2013
indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rinkie/royal,
Which paint shops is Kadhi available in ? And what name is it referred to as, Kadi or something else ? Does anyone know what purpose it is used for ? I mean just to check
Hi,
Am a bit concerned about buying clay / or its replacement from paint shops. Paint has been known to contain lead. Lets be very careful where we can ... Otherwise lead poisoning is very real
mahi

New Delhi, India

#4622 Mar 7, 2013
Hey Indians....
i am indian too....have u people ever tried those tiny stones/pebbless which are mixed with pulses n rice in order adultrate it....!!!
if u havnt then must give it try..!! iy tastes really gud.....if u buy chana from a kriyane ki dukaan....then u can easily find those peblbles in chanas..!!they are salty n yummmm...!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Panel: Vitamins & Supplements May Not Be Worth ... (Dec '13) 22 hr Glachealth 3
Alternative Medicines for a Yeast Infection (Jan '13) Mon sakshi11 4
Adrenal fatigue could be making you tired, anxious (Sep '10) Mon sakshi11 4
Get your vaccines up to date Oct 19 ricDUH DUH99 8
Shoppers Are Suing Bottled Water Manufacturers ... (Apr '13) Oct 18 Thruth will come out 5
Asda slammed by ASA over baby milk nutrition cl... Oct 16 Mike Brady 1
Food stamp cutbacks hit thousands of Montanans (Aug '13) Oct 12 Elise Gingrich 4

Nutrition People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE