Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,761
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
zaheera

London, UK

#4542 Mar 5, 2013
LoveToEatClay wrote:
<quoted text>
In Mumbai and Pune, the roasted grey variety is available by the name 'Bhaajki Maati', which simply translated means 'Baked Mud'. I know that u get it in the bhaji mandai at Pune. I really have no clue abt. Hyd though.
yeah I am also from pune and I also miss the baked mid you get there ...I guess the nakumatt clay is similar to that what we get in India....I tried in African store here ...but none are having any stock ....
crave dirt

Miami, FL

#4543 Mar 5, 2013
@ mary tyler how do you order from ebay ghana clay. I try ordering it, and it states that you have to bid. is that how you got it?
mary tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#4544 Mar 5, 2013
Crave Clay you have to place a bid Its now at$ 10.50
mary tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#4545 Mar 5, 2013
zaheera wrote:
<quoted text> they are good earthy and creamy but there is lot of smoky taste in it...but I miss the Indian roasted clay no competition with that....
Never tasted the roasted but sounds good. Glad you like the Ghana Clay it is very earthy and smooth.
crave dirt

Miami, FL

#4546 Mar 5, 2013
i did, it's telling me to bid higher! the ghana clay you got this time, is it form soul sister or ebay ghana clay? im still waiting on mine to come!
mary tyler

Kennedale, TX

#4547 Mar 5, 2013
Soul Sista ... You can also pay her out straight on Pay pal with out bidding ... She said. I havent never did that before though . I perfer to do it the correct way just incase you ever have a problem .email me I will give u her pay pal account.
Greatest

Nigeria

#4548 Mar 5, 2013
Is there no Nigerian who lives otta on this forum? Need to know a clay outlet in otta.
Swati

Plymouth, MN

#4549 Mar 5, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh...Pune eh ? Will have to try and settle for some multani mitti for now as I know for sure you dont get the one mentioned by you in Hyd. Are you Indian as well ?
Grey roasted soft stone are also sold in Mumbai and Gujarat. They are called matti....looks exactly like the nakumatt pictures on this forum....so yummy can't beat that...u r in India u can get your hands on it easily and sell it to all of us...please do something.
Love Clay

Salisbury, MD

#4550 Mar 5, 2013
@mary Tyler hope you get well soon mary.
mary tyler

United States

#4551 Mar 5, 2013
@ Love Clay Thanks I guess Its time to break a little with my favorite Clay .(Lol)
Indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#4555 Mar 5, 2013
LoveToEatClay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm Indian and miss the 'grey stones' variety here. Have u tried asking for the baked stones that pregnant women eat? Maybe someone will direct u to the right stall. The white dirt that is available here is a little sour in taste and it's not earthy like the grey stone variety. But it's definitely something to survive by.
I'm not sure if the stones you are referring to are similar to kaolin, Its called kadi and I guess they are available easily in the older part of hyderabad but I live in the secunderabad area and dont get it here :( will try to go over sometime or persuade someone to get me some. I dont like it if the clay tastes sour..I prefer it having the same earthy chalky taste of say..slate pencils or multani...Btw does anyone know where to fetch multani mitti chunks from ?? I would love to try some. You only get it in powdered packets sold as beauty products so gotta make do with that.
Indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#4556 Mar 5, 2013
zaheera wrote:
<quoted text> they are good earthy and creamy but there is lot of smoky taste in it...but I miss the Indian roasted clay no competition with that....
Hi Zaheera...R u also referring to the same grey roasted clay from pune/maharashtra or Multani ?
Indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#4557 Mar 5, 2013
Swati wrote:
<quoted text>
Grey roasted soft stone are also sold in Mumbai and Gujarat. They are called matti....looks exactly like the nakumatt pictures on this forum....so yummy can't beat that...u r in India u can get your hands on it easily and sell it to all of us...please do something.
Hi Swati...I sure am seeing this grey looking variety for the first time. It isnt available in hyd, the posts says pune/maharastra/gujarat. I will definitely try to go hunting and find some. If I manage to lay my hands on some, then I will definitely try to help ship some :0)
zaheera

Broxburn, UK

#4558 Mar 6, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Zaheera...R u also referring to the same grey roasted clay from pune/maharashtra or Multani ?
Yes the same which we get in India its so earthy and natural same as the smell of wet mud...I really miss those grey baked stones....
meh

Delhi, India

#4559 Mar 6, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure if the stones you are referring to are similar to kaolin, Its called kadi and I guess they are available easily in the older part of hyderabad but I live in the secunderabad area and dont get it here :( will try to go over sometime or persuade someone to get me some. I dont like it if the clay tastes sour..I prefer it having the same earthy chalky taste of say..slate pencils or multani...Btw does anyone know where to fetch multani mitti chunks from ?? I would love to try some. You only get it in powdered packets sold as beauty products so gotta make do with that.
hey indian chalkie! you might get fuller's chunks from the place where daily usage products are been sold locally known to be 'kriyane ki dukane':D. they are relatively cheap around 40&#8377; for 1 kg! I'm so craving these different types of clay, they look so good to me! but unfortunately only multani is sold here & I don't think most of the people know this could be eaten as well. I am finished with my 250gm of multani matti within 2 weeks and it looks awkward to go again and again and buy from the same place, they may wonder why so much of multani. lol Happy eating to everyone :)
meh

Delhi, India

#4560 Mar 6, 2013
around 40 Rs.* this ain't showing rupee symbol

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4561 Mar 6, 2013
Thanks All Things Clay. I'm taking my iron tablets every and this has helped my crazy craving to come down abit. The clay I buy is from Togo and has neither stone nor sand in it. It's very smooth but crunchy and earthy as well. I was used to the Ghana clay before I found this Togo calaba. I will say I can't compare the two because the possibility of biting into small stones when chewing the Ghana clay is high. The Togo clay looks exactly like the Nakumatt clay. Its not moulded like ayilo,comes in small chunks and it's roasted. I would have loved to send you a sample to try but that woman wouldn't sell me because she thinks I consume too much. If it's possible you can ask of kalaba from Togo where you are and you wouldn't regret it. From what I have read so far in Internet clay from Nigeria and Cameroon contain lead and other harmful substances do I always try to avoid clay from those countries
M
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing; please take good care of yourself.
When I next travel I plan to get some heilerde (as well as other things).
I had to look up what kalaba clay was, and see that it's actually kaolin (white dirt). That other clay you bought sounds perfect - "cheap, smooth and crunchy". Was that white dirt too, or some other type?
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4562 Mar 6, 2013
I m agree where i m live there r found only multani matti in general store avalable ilive in uttar pradesh in india
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4563 Mar 6, 2013
I love thr taste of multani chunks this is avaivalable easily in departmentel store
royal

Hyderabad, India

#4564 Mar 6, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Indian Chalkie hi i too live in secunderabad but i know where kadi is sold . i enojoy eating kadi i like it very much if you want give me your mail id i will contact

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 things to know about epilepsy Wed DeeDee86 2
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Dec 16 ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) Dec 6 Earthling-1 101
Obesity can shave years off life: study Dec 6 Pebbles 1
Having a midriff crisis (May '10) Dec 5 Kingsman 11
More from around the web