Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9259 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

#4518 Mar 4, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had regular access to good clay I never would have started eating corn starch and I don't recommend it. Yes it tastes good, but I would take a good clay over starch any day. I found corn starch to be very addictive, and I know I'm far from the only one who feels that way. For too long I ate far too much and never did like the idea of eating all that processed corn but did it anyway.
I know that corn starch can mess with going to the bathroom, but from reading other forums I know that some people have suffered other bad effects that they think were from the starch. I suggest that if you really want to try it you read up on it yourself and then decide.
I don't know whether or not they sell it in SA, but just to let you know in my travels I have seen and bought products called 'corn flour' which is the same thing.
thank you soo much for the information...i might as well quit because i thought it was better than clay when it comes to health...i thought peolpe dont like it because it makes them fat so i wanted to replace clay n eat cornstarch to manage the cravings.anyway i wil be better off without both...
StraightShooter

South Africa

#4520 Mar 4, 2013
@MAVU....Hey Mavu,Did you receive your white dirt from Lesile,If so How was it?

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#4521 Mar 4, 2013
StraightShooter wrote:
@MAVU....Hey Mavu,Did you receive your white dirt from Lesile,If so How was it?
It's been 9 days including weekends and nothing yet. Hopefully it should come sometime this week. I will let you know.
Madhuri

Ballston Spa, NY

#4522 Mar 4, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes hopefully I will be getting the Nakumatt roasted clay. Not sure about the odowa but I will try that too.
Will you let me know when u get the Nakumatt roasted grey stones/clay? I would like to order some
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4523 Mar 4, 2013
ackee wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe it is more discreet or maybe more appealing to the eyes or the people buying it. maybe easier to carry around and just pop it into the mouth.
Yeah, I think you're right - people probably think it looks more presentable molded into shapes and more discreet to eat.

Some people do sell it in natural chunks though, and I was just wondering if there were any other reasons for the molded types. I suppose for uniformity too. You know how some pieces of clay taste different from others? I guess if they make a big batch by mixing all the clay together all the pieces would taste pretty much the same.
Madhuri

Ballston Spa, NY

#4524 Mar 4, 2013
One of the clay eaters wrote:
hey guys,
its amazing to find out soo many clay lovers the world over. M an Indian, and here we can buy really yummy clay for even a rupee. In fact its a multicrore business here.
Guess, if any one just travels to India, do not forget to visit any local small grocery store and ask for "Bhachki Maaati"(fried soil). it is very common in Maharashtra!!
Cheers to all the soil lovers!!
Hello,

I'm from Pune and I love Bhaajki Maati. Can you send me some from India as I'm really craving it here in the US. Tell me how much it costs to ship it here. U can email me on [email protected]
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4525 Mar 4, 2013
Madhuri wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you let me know when u get the Nakumatt roasted grey stones/clay? I would like to order some
Hi MavuSeller, I hope you can get some too - would love to try it, as well as other clays preferably in their natural state (I would much prefer natural chunks).

Plan on being in the UK in the next couple of months and hope to try all of the new clays then. Can't wait!
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#4526 Mar 4, 2013
zaheera wrote:
Mine Ghana eggs too arrived today ...glad they are nice ..thank you soulsista...
How do you like them?
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#4527 Mar 4, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I think you're right - people probably think it looks more presentable molded into shapes and more discreet to eat.
Some people do sell it in natural chunks though, and I was just wondering if there were any other reasons for the molded types. I suppose for uniformity too. You know how some pieces of clay taste different from others? I guess if they make a big batch by mixing all the clay together all the pieces would taste pretty much the same.
@ all thing Clay I receive my Ghana Clay and the chunks dugged from straight from the ground .I dont like the Clay dugged straight from the ground Its is to chalky, hard .I prefer the egg shape better softer and crumbler . But Im about to cut back for now cause my skin is breaking out now and Im itchy on lega and ARM with circle parches. So i know Its time for a Clay Break for me.
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#4528 Mar 4, 2013
Im about to start on some Steriod hopefully my skin will clear up.

Since: Feb 13

London, UK

#4530 Mar 4, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi MavuSeller, I hope you can get some too - would love to try it, as well as other clays preferably in their natural state (I would much prefer natural chunks).
Plan on being in the UK in the next couple of months and hope to try all of the new clays then. Can't wait!
I will do! Any news about my clay hunting search and progress will be posted here as soon as I hear of it. You ladies will be the first to know!

And yes I'm all for the chunks/natural state so I shall be on the lookout!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4531 Mar 4, 2013
mary tyler wrote:
Im about to start on some Steriod hopefully my skin will clear up.
Hope you're all cleared up soon Mary. Do you think it was an allergic reaction? Please take care of yourself.
mary tyler

Lithonia, GA

#4532 Mar 5, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you're all cleared up soon Mary. Do you think it was an allergic reaction? Please take care of yourself.
Thanks @All things Clay yes i think it could be with this new batch i receive maybe something in it isnt ageeeing with my ststem this time.
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4533 Mar 5, 2013
Love to eat clay
concerned earth lover

Stoke, UK

#4534 Mar 5, 2013
I used to eat the ghana egg shaped clay. I always worried about the hygiene of the water used and were it is left for the drying process
I guess it is moulded because in natural chunks they can be very harsh on the bowels and a lot harder to chew and digest. The moulded ones are usually very crumbly and melt in your mouth.
Indian Chalkie

Shakurpur, India

#4535 Mar 5, 2013
I am soooo excited getting to ever hear all these different names of clay available world over. A tad jealous of the african markets where so much is available at so less :o( Also the US and UK as shipping is easier. It is different in India as we mostly get only slate pencils and multani mitti. Though they are extremely cheap but would sure love to try some Mavu or grey roasted clay. The georgia white dirt looks yummmm !!!
LoveToEatClay

Ballston Spa, NY

#4536 Mar 5, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
I am soooo excited getting to ever hear all these different names of clay available world over. A tad jealous of the african markets where so much is available at so less :o( Also the US and UK as shipping is easier. It is different in India as we mostly get only slate pencils and multani mitti. Though they are extremely cheap but would sure love to try some Mavu or grey roasted clay. The georgia white dirt looks yummmm !!!
R u kidding? Grey roasted stones/clay is definitely available in India...Once u taste that, u won't ever eat slate pencils or multani.
I loved gorging on grey roasted stones while I was there...very earthy!
Indian Chalkie

Shakurpur, India

#4537 Mar 5, 2013
LoveToEatClay wrote:
<quoted text>
R u kidding? Grey roasted stones/clay is definitely available in India...Once u taste that, u won't ever eat slate pencils or multani.
I loved gorging on grey roasted stones while I was there...very earthy!
Oh plzz tell me where can I get some from.. Which city were u in when you were here ? Is it called by any local name ?
LoveToEatClay

Ballston Spa, NY

#4538 Mar 5, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh plzz tell me where can I get some from.. Which city were u in when you were here ? Is it called by any local name ?
In Mumbai and Pune, the roasted grey variety is available by the name 'Bhaajki Maati', which simply translated means 'Baked Mud'. I know that u get it in the bhaji mandai at Pune. I really have no clue abt. Hyd though.
Indian Chalkie

Shakurpur, India

#4539 Mar 5, 2013
LoveToEatClay wrote:
<quoted text>
In Mumbai and Pune, the roasted grey variety is available by the name 'Bhaajki Maati', which simply translated means 'Baked Mud'. I know that u get it in the bhaji mandai at Pune. I really have no clue abt. Hyd though.
Gosh...Pune eh ? Will have to try and settle for some multani mitti for now as I know for sure you dont get the one mentioned by you in Hyd. Are you Indian as well ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Tue Tex- 13
News Raising a vegan baby: Parents say abuse cases g... (Oct '16) Aug 2 Wee 2
News Free meals available to all Livingston Parish p... Jul 26 uchrisbrownq 1
News Defeat insomnia and sleep easy with these top f... (Oct '13) Jul '17 socialchris 7
News Welfare cheats need not apply Jul '17 Our welfare state 11
News Nation-Now 40 mins ago 6:50 a.m.Tennessee bill:... (Jan '17) Jul '17 Fat mama 3
News Millions on food stamps at risk under Trump's c... Jun '17 Trump forever 3
More from around the web