Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9270 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Roslyn

United States

#4467 Mar 1, 2013
I think the anemia comes first since I was instructed to take iron by my Dr. However, I've always craved clay and the smell of clay is up there with roast chicken in my mind despite only partaking minuscule amounts on rare occasions. I think it's a combination of mineral deficiency triggering a deep anthropological memory in our DNA from many thousands of years ago when it was quite common.
Roslyn

United States

#4468 Mar 1, 2013
Oh, and I'm semetic- not African, not Southern. So while it may have been more accepted in those cultures, I think it is a species thing rather than a racial thing.
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#4469 Mar 2, 2013
Rinkie wrote:
Any body eating multani mitti and slate pencil
Yes Rinkie I've been eating Slate pencil for over 20 yrs now and recently got hooked to eating multani mitti. I mix it with water with it forms a creamy paste and dry it out in the sun. Ummmm tastes awesome !!
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#4470 Mar 2, 2013
Does anybody ship any type of clay mentioned in these forums to India ? Kaolin, White Dirt, Odowa, Grey Roasted Clay....Anyone ????
clay clay

Lawrence, MA

#4471 Mar 2, 2013
clay diva wrote:
@Clay Clay Thanks for answering If you would plz what is 3GHC & 2GHC?
$1=1.89gh cedis currently. so 2GH will be approximately a dollar.
clay diva

Lithonia, GA

#4472 Mar 2, 2013
Thanks

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4475 Mar 2, 2013
I have been following this forum for about a year now but haven't really decided to add my opinion until now. I must say I love it even though almost every comment worsen my cravings. I laugh to some comments and I get emotional to others especially when one cannot satisfy her cravings. I have been eating since I was like 5 years and cant stop. My mom never ate it but my sis and I did alot. I grew up in Ghana and we always had it cheap to buy. Now I am in Germany and it cost a lot here. Through reading some comments here I found out about heilerde in Germany. It's also not bad. I miss it with water and a bit of salt and then bake it. It's safer than buying from the afroshops.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4476 Mar 2, 2013
Indian Chalkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Rinkie I've been eating Slate pencil for over 20 yrs now and recently got hooked to eating multani mitti. I mix it with water with it forms a creamy paste and dry it out in the sun. Ummmm tastes awesome !!
I've just done a search and educated myself on slate pencil.

I have seen it mentioned before, but just thought it was some type of grey pencil but it isn't. Wikipedia says: "Slates can be written on using a slate pencil. This is a rod made of soft slate, soapstone, or pressed clay, which makes a thin white line on the slate..."

Here's a video of how it's made:

Did anyone else not know what slate pencil was? I see that a lot of people eat it. I would love to try some!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4477 Mar 2, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
I have been following this forum for about a year now but haven't really decided to add my opinion until now. I must say I love it even though almost every comment worsen my cravings. I laugh to some comments and I get emotional to others especially when one cannot satisfy her cravings. I have been eating since I was like 5 years and cant stop. My mom never ate it but my sis and I did alot. I grew up in Ghana and we always had it cheap to buy. Now I am in Germany and it cost a lot here. Through reading some comments here I found out about heilerde in Germany. It's also not bad. I miss it with water and a bit of salt and then bake it. It's safer than buying from the afroshops.
Hi, glad you've decided to join in.

That heilerde is another thing I would love to try. I have a question. Do you eat it in 'normal' amounts, like the recommended amount, or do you have serious cravings and eat a lot of it like many of us here do with the things we crave?

I ask the question because I would love to try some of the clays/clay like materials that are actually sold for healing/health purposes and have been tested for mineral content etc. but these tend to be expensive. So I was wondering if just a little of these type clays, if hopefully they have in them what we lack, would satisfy us.
nicki

Plover, WI

#4478 Mar 2, 2013
hi i also like eating chalk and the same kind and im 11 and a half.well first my mom started eating and the smell was so good so i started to sneak in the pantry ang get some when she wasnt looking!!i dont know if its wrong to do it but im addicted to eating it
SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

#4479 Mar 2, 2013
You guys really should visit south africa.....theres different kinds of clay according to your preferences.nt difficult 2 obtain @ all.brown,white,red u choose.i used to eat bt nt anymore.i crave it all the time and my substitute is chewing a gum.....funny i know but i always try 2 avoid buying though i get cravings all the time.i love this forum i just wish i could taste cornstarch bt ders just noway m going to the store to get it..unless by some chance i bump into someone eating and get to taste...or else i will keep abstaining....goodluck
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#4480 Mar 2, 2013
My craving are high today I have been on iron pills for a week or 2 . I almost cant wait until my Ghana egg shape Clay arrive next week hopefully.I purchase the molded and unmoled valentines special from soul Sista . Has any one orderd during the same time receive theres yet ? I think on my next Ghana Clay order from the Soul Sista Im going to have to purchase a BIG order so it can last . but what is really enough Forum When you crave Clay like we do .Im kind of hestitating cause I know If I place a. Big order I will have to place a bigger one after that. I will most like eat it all up quickly.What is a sufficent amount of Clay to eat daily 10, 40, 60, 100 150 200 .? How much Clay do you Lady and Gentes eat daily When your craving high (Honestly)?
Mel

South Africa

#4481 Mar 2, 2013
Hi SA ex eater,

Where in SA r u from? It gud to knw u can resists clay. I am also from SA and hav tasted da white and brown clay, I'm craving to taste da red clay. Well hopefully I can get some soon, in da meantime I'm enjoying da brownish/yellowish clay.
satu

Australia

#4482 Mar 2, 2013
i am in australia, canberra and am craving for these white dirt/clay, can anybody help me where i can get one to buy.
thanks
SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

#4489 Mar 3, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi SA ex eater,
Where in SA r u from? It gud to knw u can resists clay. I am also from SA and hav tasted da white and brown clay, I'm craving to taste da red clay. Well hopefully I can get some soon, in da meantime I'm enjoying da brownish/yellowish clay.
i am in johannesburg,the red clay is mostly in pretoria...i havnt seen any in jozi ,only the white and brownish ones....i have only tasted the brown ones..how does the white clay tastes? Anyway i realy dont want to go back to eating it but i surely craves it n highly tempted... God bless me....
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4490 Mar 3, 2013
India
get found many type clay but the light yellow clay found chambal ravine that is found mines deep dug off that taste is very tasty that is eat baked or unbaked its gritty, earthy ,not stick in mouth ,crunchy it is bentonite clay texture

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#4491 Mar 3, 2013
I bought the heilerde for 5 euro and it is 400g claypowder. When I taste it raw it was nothing like the kalaba and ghana clay I was use to. So I divided it into 2 and added water and abit of salt to acquire the taste. I moulded into small pieces and baked. Since it's been seen as a healing soil I didn't eat much. I was trying to follow the perscription on it. I found it better than kalaba clay but with time I started craving for real clay so I went to this afroshop around me and got 500g for 5 euro. I eat all within 2 days because it had this crunchy sour state and the best taste one can ever find. I went again to buy the the seller wouldn't sell it to me because I complained that I am pregnant and faint at times an that I'm also on iron tablets. She advised me that eating too much is also not healthy. Honestly she hast the best clay in town. Cheap, smooth and crunchy. Since then I have closed my mind and decided to stick to heilerde at least it has been researched and has no lead and other dangerous minerals. The heilerde has even abit of iron in it and I eat consciously. I can't wait to have my baby and go back eating the real clay. I have been clay clean for the past 4 days and I'm still counting. Hopefully I will be able to forget about it totally. It's sometimes embarrassing when people get to know about clay addiction but with determination and strong wills we shall overcome the addiction.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, glad you've decided to join in.
That heilerde is another thing I would love to try. I have a question. Do you eat it in 'normal' amounts, like the recommended amount, or do you have serious cravings and eat a lot of it like many of us here do with the things we crave?
I ask the question because I would love to try some of the clays/clay like materials that are actually sold for healing/health purposes and have been tested for mineral content etc. but these tend to be expensive. So I was wondering if just a little of these type clays, if hopefully they have in them what we lack, would satisfy us.
SA ex eater

Ashburn, VA

#4492 Mar 3, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Corn starch isn't earthy, at least not to me it isn't. Different brands can have a different taste/texture (I like Argo in the box, nice and dry and squeaky with a nice flavour). Not everybody would like it but for those that do I feel the need to warn that cornstarch can be VERY addictive.
I'm eating some now. As much as I like the taste/texture I don't think eating it is a good thing. I can see why Cornstarch Eater suggested it as a clay substitute, because it is cheap and you can buy it easily, but please do not underestimate how addictive it can be and the other potential negatives.
i wud luv to stop eating clay for good and eat cornstarch...but are there any side effects of cornstarch except being fat because i dnt mind that.....i am skinny anyway,a bit of meat would do...and do they sell it in SA shops?
Swati

Plymouth, MN

#4494 Mar 3, 2013
SA ex eater wrote:
<quoted text> i wud luv to stop eating clay for good and eat cornstarch...but are there any side effects of cornstarch except being fat because i dnt mind that.....i am skinny anyway,a bit of meat would do...and do they sell it in SA shops?
Go to Walmart...u can buy a bag for dollar
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4495 Mar 3, 2013
Any body reply me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Food4Kids has local drop-off point (Dec '13) 15 hr Life eh 4
News White House mulls letting states require drug t... Apr 17 Penguin 16
News Shamrocks program raises more than $100,000 for... Apr 16 Diane Boardman 1
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Apr 14 Anonymous 20
News B.C. man turns nerdy hobby into a million dolla... Apr 7 Teach 1
News Chocolate Day 2018: These Are the Chocolates Yo... Mar '18 Who needs chocolate 2
News USDA to Purchase Surplus Cheese for Food Banks ... (Aug '16) Mar '18 fogsweptglade 2