Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,474
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Mary Tyler

Addison, TX

#4009 Feb 10, 2013
http://tropicalfoodinc.com/images/DSCN2016.jp... I ORDER THIS CLAY TWO THINKING IT WAS NZU OR CALABAR/ CHALK BECAUSE THAT HOW IT'S WAS ADVERTISE .. AND SOMEONE ON FORM SAID IT LOOKS LIKE MAVU CLAY AND WASN'T NZU AT ALL.IT TASTE REALLY CHALKY NON SALTED . I BAKED IT IN ORDER FOR ME TO EAT IT.SHIPPING IS TO HIGH FOR ME TO KEEP ORDERING ALL THESE WRONG CLAYS.LOL
clay junkie

UK

#4013 Feb 10, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I had thought you were going to tell me where to find this roasted clay from kenya..... That's just a photo ...

Sorry dear my friend didn't bring any odowa was so dissapointed.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#4014 Feb 10, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
http://tropicalfoodinc.com/ima ges/DSCN2016.jpg I ORDER THIS CLAY TWO THINKING IT WAS NZU OR CALABAR/ CHALK BECAUSE THAT HOW IT'S WAS ADVERTISE .. AND SOMEONE ON FORM SAID IT LOOKS LIKE MAVU CLAY AND WASN'T NZU AT ALL.IT TASTE REALLY CHALKY NON SALTED . I BAKED IT IN ORDER FOR ME TO EAT IT.SHIPPING IS TO HIGH FOR ME TO KEEP ORDERING ALL THESE WRONG CLAYS.LOL
Hi Mary, sorry I can't help you with your question but I know what you mean. It is very expensive to ship to me too, so I have been very nervous about ordering - so many clays I want to try, but don't want to waste my money by being disappointed and ending up with clay I don't like. I hope Mavuseller or Leslie or somebody finds a good source of clean red clay...I wouldn't hesitate in trying that and hope I like it.(I have a serious craving to try some red, and things like unprocessed odowa and Tanzanian soil cake).
royal

Hyderabad, India

#4015 Feb 10, 2013
Vandan wrote:
<quoted text>
R u in India can you send it to me. Do u eat the same one in the picture. Send me your email. I did not think they sell in paint shop. When I was in India I always bought if from small shops that sell roasted, peanuts, Chana and bhel items.
@vandan give me ur mail id i will send u the picture
vandana

Plymouth, MN

#4016 Feb 10, 2013
royal wrote:
<quoted text>
emmactivegal@hotmail.com
looking for greyish black roasted clay sold at indian stores where they sell roasted chana, peanuts and bhel item
Rinkie

Ashburn, VA

#4017 Feb 10, 2013
I m from india yaha par chambal ravine ki mines mai mitti pai jaati hai that taste is very good but woh sirf wahi par jaise agra side hi milti hai log iske chunks ko roast karke khaate hai iska taste sunte hai bahut achcha hota hai i m from lucknow yaha par sirf multani mitti hi milti hai any body tell ifound there are any eadible clay
vandana

Plymouth, MN

#4019 Feb 10, 2013
Rinkie wrote:
I m from india yaha par chambal ravine ki mines mai mitti pai jaati hai that taste is very good but woh sirf wahi par jaise agra side hi milti hai log iske chunks ko roast karke khaate hai iska taste sunte hai bahut achcha hota hai i m from lucknow yaha par sirf multani mitti hi milti hai any body tell ifound there are any eadible clay
http://urwhatueat.files.wordpress.com/2008/09
vandana

Plymouth, MN

#4020 Feb 10, 2013
royal wrote:
<quoted text>
i am looking for the clay in this picture.
vandana

Plymouth, MN

#4021 Feb 10, 2013
dirt cookies wrote:
Anyone knows if wanda's clay is roasted?Im looking for roasted clay! they are two pictures on amazon, one where the clay is grey and the other, the clay is white! and also the picture that she use as the icon on her website looks grey also! not the on where it white in the bag full. so im thinking it is roasted
vandana

Plymouth, MN

#4022 Feb 10, 2013
Odowa lover wrote:
Si am just wishing . Are you in uk by the way ?
<quoted text>
can u please help me buy grey odowa..

rita

Plymouth, MN

#4023 Feb 10, 2013
Chalk lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is my email add if you want to talk more.
disham68@yahoo.co.uk
kenya soft grey stones

Plymouth, MN

#4024 Feb 10, 2013
Greatest

Nigeria

#4025 Feb 10, 2013
Y are there no men complaining of addiction to yummy but dangerous clay? What is DE?
vandan

Plymouth, MN

#4026 Feb 10, 2013
sunita wrote:
hi i have started eating clay since 6 mnths.its like a grey stone.i liove the muddy taste and smell.let me know about your research as im worried about ths habbit. thanks <quoted text>
please tell me where you buy it...
baked clay

Plymouth, MN

#4027 Feb 10, 2013
zenith wrote:
i am from india and i bet u will forget all other types once u taste the roasted clay from india.i can get it for u . cost 5$ per kg. shipping charges extra. i just love roasted clay.
can i buy it from you
Love Clay

Salisbury, MD

#4028 Feb 10, 2013
Hi Leslie,
Thank you for answering my question about the allergic reaction(swollen lip) concerning white dirt,next time I will placed my order with you instead of other company on line.any suggestion on what to do with the white dirt that give me the allergic reaction.

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

#4029 Feb 10, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry dear my friend didn't bring any odowa was so dissapointed.
I feel your disappointment . Pole. If I get I will share
Clayer

UK

#4030 Feb 10, 2013
Got some white dirt from Disha. Took a while because it got lost in the post and then I had to pay extra for her to send it again but she was nice about it and gave me some extra clay for the delay and I'm glad it finally arrived!

I usually buy from Mavu but am currently needing something to fill the void whilst I'm waiting so I thought this would be good. Boy! It's called WHITE dirt for a reason! It's super white and super chalky! She got it from America and looks identical to the one Leslie sells. I have to say that its a lot messier to eat than mavu's. It gets everywhere! It's one of those ones where you couldn't sneak it out in public.

Now the clay itself was okay. Just because of the fact that it was white I wasn't expecting it to taste as earthy and I was right. It was too light/crumbly for my taste as it literally lasted in my mouth for a couple seconds meaning I got through the bag a lot quicker than I had hoped. I baked it for a good 2 hours which improved the flavour slightly.

If you are looking for a clay to keep you going till Mavu is back in stock then definitely order from Disha and tell her I sent you ;)
Clayer

UK

#4031 Feb 10, 2013
Oh yeah definitely bake it coz I started feeling a little off after eating it unbaked plus it tastes better that way.
Mel

South Africa

#4032 Feb 10, 2013
K I finally received sum clay from Jhb, someone actually bought it for me. Its actually the same clay they show in the Mud eating video in Jhb. I got bout 10 big blocks of it. Its so smooth and soft and creamy, this is going to last me quiet some time cos it quiet a lot. I'm going to break it into pieces with a hammer as it will be easier to nibble on. Mmm the taste is devine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
8 million Ugandan children live in abject pover... 16 hr kizito 1
Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) 2014 ... Wed Gerald Vonberger 1
Panel: Vitamins & Supplements May Not Be Worth ... (Dec '13) Oct 21 Glachealth 3
Alternative Medicines for a Yeast Infection (Jan '13) Oct 20 sakshi11 4
Adrenal fatigue could be making you tired, anxious (Sep '10) Oct 20 sakshi11 4
Get your vaccines up to date Oct 19 ricDUH DUH99 8
Shoppers Are Suing Bottled Water Manufacturers ... (Apr '13) Oct 18 Thruth will come out 5

Nutrition People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE