Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9254 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3911 Feb 5, 2013
Did you know that limestone/chalk

Powdered limestone is the coating you will find on chewing gum. If you eat corn tortillas (as the shell of a crisp taco, or corn chips) the LIME used to treat the corn is limestone.

It is the primary ingredient in "Tums" and other antacids. It is also used as a filler in some vitamins as well as some drugs. It goes by the name "calcium carbonate".

It is basically calcium, carbon and oxygen.
Iheartclay

UK

#3912 Feb 5, 2013
Leslie wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t onycrowe/7000223711/
Somebody get me a spoon!
About 70million years ago this part of Britain was submerged by a shallow sea. The sea bottom was made of a white mud formed from the fragments of coccoliths - the skeletons of tiny algae which floated in the surface waters of the sea.
This mud became the chalk. It is believed to have been deposited very slowly, probably only half a millimetre a year. In spite of this, up to 500 metres of chalk were deposited in places.
The coccoliths are too small to be seen without a microscope but if you look carefully you can find fossils of some of the larger inhabitants of the chalk sea such as sponges, shells, ammonites and urchins.

DOESN'T KNOWING WHAT IT'S MADE OUT OF MAKE IT A LIL NASTY?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21149...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3913 Feb 5, 2013
Iheartclay wrote:
<quoted text>
About 70million years ago this part of Britain was submerged by a shallow sea. The sea bottom was made of a white mud formed from the fragments of coccoliths - the skeletons of tiny algae which floated in the surface waters of the sea.
This mud became the chalk. It is believed to have been deposited very slowly, probably only half a millimetre a year. In spite of this, up to 500 metres of chalk were deposited in places.
The coccoliths are too small to be seen without a microscope but if you look carefully you can find fossils of some of the larger inhabitants of the chalk sea such as sponges, shells, ammonites and urchins.
DOESN'T KNOWING WHAT IT'S MADE OUT OF MAKE IT A LIL NASTY?
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21149...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Iheartclay

I feel you :)
Jello, Gummy Bears, Canned Meat, Soups and Marshmallows contain gelatin.

Gelatin is an odorless, tasteless and colorless thickening agent, which when dissolved in hot water and cooled, forms a jelly. Gelatin is pure protein derived from beef and veal bones, cartilage, tendons and other tissue. Much of the commercial gelatin today is a by-product of pig skin. Until the advent of commercial gelatin in the late 19th century, jelled dishes were not very popular because housewives had to make their own jelling agent by laboriously boiling calves' feet or knuckles. Their only alternative was to use either the hard-to-obtain ISINGLASS (gelatin from fish air bladders) or CARRAGEEN (a dried seaweed product).

I think that if we researched a vast abundance of our food sources we might think NASTY as well?
Alexx

Locust Grove, GA

#3914 Feb 5, 2013
Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Iheartclay
I feel you :)
Jello, Gummy Bears, Canned Meat, Soups and Marshmallows contain gelatin.
Gelatin is an odorless, tasteless and colorless thickening agent, which when dissolved in hot water and cooled, forms a jelly. Gelatin is pure protein derived from beef and veal bones, cartilage, tendons and other tissue. Much of the commercial gelatin today is a by-product of pig skin. Until the advent of commercial gelatin in the late 19th century, jelled dishes were not very popular because housewives had to make their own jelling agent by laboriously boiling calves' feet or knuckles. Their only alternative was to use either the hard-to-obtain ISINGLASS (gelatin from fish air bladders) or CARRAGEEN (a dried seaweed product).
I think that if we researched a vast abundance of our food sources we might think NASTY as well?
Dang Ms . Leslie is like you always have a comeback . You must do a lot of research . Wow .
Alexx

Locust Grove, GA

#3915 Feb 5, 2013
Isn't it crazy how we can be so stressed out , until we eat a few chunks or a couple spoonful of our clay / chalk / corn starch & we'll be so calm & feel so much as we chew . Why is that ? Not saying I don't do that because I do , I was so stressed out & then I ate 2 or 3 chunks of my white dirt & I felt a whole lot better .
Mary

Lumberton, TX

#3916 Feb 5, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
@Mary,Hi Mary I was wondering if you received your ghana clay from [email protected] and how was the taste.
Hi Love clay NO I haven't received it yet.I have been running to the mailbox twice [lol]. What about you? Keep me posted,Hopefully tomorrow.
Mary

Lumberton, TX

#3917 Feb 5, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
Hi Leslie, I was wondering if I placed a order with you how long will it take for me to get my order I live in maryland. also do you and wanda sell the same brand of white dirt.
Almost forgot Wanda white clay website - Good 'Ole Dirt ,Georgia White Dirt- Leslie ,White Dirt of Georgia [White Plains] I'm not sure ask Leslie but I think Leslie and White Dirt of Georgia is the same or the clay dugged in the same area. I have ordered from White Dirt of Georgia several years ago,also Wanda recently.
Love Clay

Eden, MD

#3919 Feb 6, 2013
@Mary, still waiting she told me 6 business day still have more days to wait. please keep me posted on your order because I will like to know if you are in clay heaven or not when you received it Lol.
Clayer

South Africa

#3920 Feb 6, 2013
@ Mavu, i just got clay from Bulawayo- i understand why your mum kept it like gold. it is deep red soft and super earthy. that's what clay is about. wow the best ever. Zim clay indeed is the best.
Mary

Arlington, TX

#3921 Feb 6, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
@Mary, still waiting she told me 6 business day still have more days to wait. please keep me posted on your order because I will like to know if you are in clay heaven or not when you received it Lol.
9 business day for me Are you in the Us ?
Love Clay

Eden, MD

#3922 Feb 6, 2013
@Mary,yes in maryland
ackee

White Plains, NY

#3923 Feb 6, 2013
Clayer wrote:
@ Mavu, i just got clay from Bulawayo- i understand why your mum kept it like gold. it is deep red soft and super earthy. that's what clay is about. wow the best ever. Zim clay indeed is the best.
Oh man that sounds so good.
MavuSeller

UK

#3924 Feb 6, 2013
Clayer wrote:
Aah don't make me jealous now! Yes Zim clay is the best! Tastes so good when you savour it and have it as a treat. Knowing me I'd probably eat it in one go lol
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3925 Feb 6, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
<quoted text>
Aah don't make me jealous now! Yes Zim clay is the best! Tastes so good when you savour it and have it as a treat. Knowing me I'd probably eat it in one go lol
Hi MavuSeller, I have been fortunate enough to have tried your clay and it was good but I would not describe the colour as deep red. Do you think the clay Clayer has is the same? Or are there different type clays in Zimbabwe, and if so can you get your hands on the deep red kind?

Thanks!
ClayNewbie

Tallahassee, FL

#3927 Feb 6, 2013
@Leslie

Hi I've been reading these posts for a while & I too am anemic/ have pica. I have eaten dirt, ice, drywall, but chalk & cornstarch has been my fav for years. I recently tried some of Wanda's white clay & it was smooth & crunchy but had the sour taste. I don't like that. Does the white clay you sell have that sour taste??
Sour Clay Lover

South Africa

#3928 Feb 6, 2013
Hello Newbie could u please tell me how to get a hold of wanda, I love sour clay. Please tell me where to get a hold of her, also how much are her prices?
ClayNewbie

Tallahassee, FL

#3929 Feb 7, 2013
@Sour Clay Lover

You can order 1 pound bags from her website www.goodoledirt.com in both chunks or crumbs. Starting at $6.99 for 1lb bag of chunks & $5.99 for 1lb bag of crumbs
Clayer

South Africa

#3930 Feb 7, 2013
MavuSeller wrote:
<quoted text>
i felt like finishing it too but i had to control myself. you said your mum stoped because of an op, was it because of clay. if so can you explain how it had affected her and how much she was eating so that we dont do the same thing. the problem with such nice clay is that you cant put it down, will run to the car now and have some i brought it to the office but i dont want anyone seeing me.
Greatest

Nigeria

#3931 Feb 7, 2013
Wotz DE pls? N ow does it work in reducing d crave for clay? Any side effects? Tanx y'all
Clayaholic

Preston, UK

#3934 Feb 7, 2013
Leslie you said you sell Granny's own dirt. Does that mean that they are your supplier? And if so do they sell to you at wholesale? Also, do your bags come fully packed like Wanda's??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two-thirds of packaged foods sold in Canada hav... Sat thank Redpaths 1
News Trump official freezes Michelle Obamaa s plan t... May 5 Lawrence Wolf 61
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) May 3 Ashton 52
News Authorities: 1 dead, several hurt in U. of Texa... May 2 Laredo 1
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Apr '17 RTIC 2
News A nutritionist reveals 3 foods that boost your ... Apr '17 Pecan Boy 1
News UNHEALTHY Take soda, candy off food stamp list Mar '17 Jacky 80
More from around the web