Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9270 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3890 Feb 5, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> Goodmorning Leslie I would love to try you'll Georgia Red Clay do you sell that one as well ?
Me too Leslie! I think you've said before that it isn't easy to source, but is it possible at all? I would love, love to try some good red clay from a clean source (and I would be willing to invest in the shipping for red clay, I want to try it so badly...I'm still thinking about ordering the white dirt).
Love Clay

Eden, MD

#3891 Feb 5, 2013
Hi Leslie, I was wondering if I placed a order with you how long will it take for me to get my order I live in maryland. also do you and wanda sell the same brand of white dirt.
Melanija

Grand Rapids, MI

#3893 Feb 5, 2013
Hi Leslie!

Thank you for your very informative and detailed response! Whew, you definately set my mind at ease also. I am 100% certain I have firing clay, and I am thinking it is more likely earthenware.

I have looked at your website (Yay!) and will be placing an order, as I am very eager to try the kaolin. I really crave the white substances, for instance Biotin tablets have that nice chalky/dry taste and I would buy a bottle of those and just eat them throughout the week.....

Like the other posters are asking, is there any of the red clay available to order as well?

Thanks again!
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3894 Feb 5, 2013
Ok so all my clay is gone....... Looks like I'm hitting up the website tonight ..... His treat . Told y'all he was gonna eat the majority of it. Smh
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3895 Feb 5, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> Goodmorning Leslie I would love to try you'll Georgia Red Clay do you sell that one as well ?
Hi Mary

Not at this time, but my search is still on for a clean, sanitary source (as clean as earth can be right). Its all over Georgia but you and I know as clay eaters that all sources are not created equal :). Got get it from deep in the ground.

I really wish the hill that my grandma and her friends used back in the day was available.

Ive decided that I'm gonna probably need to take a 2-4 hour trip to South Georgia for a good hill.

The search is still on, but you guys will be the first to know when I locate it :)
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3896 Feb 5, 2013
Melanija wrote:
Hi Leslie!

Thank you for your very informative and detailed response! Whew, you definately set my mind at ease also. I am 100% certain I have firing clay, and I am thinking it is more likely earthenware.

I have looked at your website (Yay!) and will be placing an order, as I am very eager to try the kaolin. I really crave the white substances, for instance Biotin tablets have that nice chalky/dry taste and I would buy a bottle of those and just eat them throughout the week.....

Like the other posters are asking, is there any of the red clay available to order as well?

Thanks again!
Biotin tablets? What kind?
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3897 Feb 5, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too Leslie! I think you've said before that it isn't easy to source, but is it possible at all? I would love, love to try some good red clay from a clean source (and I would be willing to invest in the shipping for red clay, I want to try it so badly...I'm still thinking about ordering the white dirt).
Im looking :), the thing is, I want to dig it myself. Keep you posted though!
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3898 Feb 5, 2013
Meee258 wrote:
Ok so all my clay is gone....... Looks like I'm hitting up the website tonight ..... His treat . Told y'all he was gonna eat the majority of it. Smh
Mee you really bring me joy and great laughs when you talk about "HIM"!!! LOL
Melanoma

United States

#3899 Feb 5, 2013
Meee258 wrote:
<quoted text>
Biotin tablets? What kind?
Hi Meee,

I think the brand is Natures Made? They are not too expensive and I try to
Only chew between 5 -20 tabs a day......
The bottle itself is dark green with a yellow label . Walmart carries them as does most
Any pharmacy. The tablets are chalky , no coating, round and white. I have not bought any in a while, but I think I need to soon!
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3900 Feb 5, 2013
Melanoma wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Meee,

I think the brand is Natures Made? They are not too expensive and I try to
Only chew between 5 -20 tabs a day......
The bottle itself is dark green with a yellow label . Walmart carries them as does most
Any pharmacy. The tablets are chalky , no coating, round and white. I have not bought any in a while, but I think I need to soon!
Does it tastes like meds... Or are they chewable tablets. Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3901 Feb 5, 2013
Chalk We Love It Too

The main component of chalk is calcium carbonate (CaCO3), a form of limestone.

To make chalk, limestone is first quarried, generally by an open pit quarry method. Next, the limestone must be crushed. Primary crushing, such as in a jaw crusher, breaks down large boulders; secondary crushing pulverizes smaller chunks into pebbles. The limestone is then wet-milled with water in a ball mill—a rotating steel drum with steel balls inside to further pulverize the chalk. This step washes away impurities and leaves a fine powder.

To make white classroom chalk, the manufacturer adds water to form a thick slurry with the consistency of clay. The slurry is then placed into and extruded from a die—an orifice of the desired long, thin shape. Cut into lengths of approximately 24.43 inches (62 centimeters), the sticks are next placed on a sheet that contains places for five such sticks. The sheet is then placed in an oven, where the chalk cures for four days at 188 degrees Fahrenheit (85 degrees Celsius). After it has cured, the sticks are cut into 80 millimeters lengths.

So hmm, chalk is formed to the consistency of clay, is there any wonder that we like it too? So it is also washed of impurities ( probably why its not earthy in taste to concerned earth lover :)?).

Its my understanding that Calabash Chalk is made of limestone as well.

My understanding is that there is a Calabash which is a naturally occurring chalk that can simply be chopped into small block/pieces in its natural state.

BUT I do believe that the type bought for consumption may/could often times be produced from clay and mud which may be mixed with other ingredients including sand, wood ash and sometimes salt. The resulting product is molded and then heated to produce the final product. Warnings about led and arsenic in this molded version are numerous.

I'm not saying not to eat it but to be careful and know where it came from. My thought is that its best in its original mined form. I agree with all things Clay & concerned earth lover, once people start mixing/handling the clay with other things you need to wonder what has been added and is this sanitary. At this point you may want to know who prepared it, where and how and the sanitary precautions taken during preparation. If you find someone who knows how to prepare it, maybe you can mold your own?

But lets just say this about all clays dug straight from the earth, heat sanitizes (microwave anyone), and that can never hurt with any clay that we eat. Initially the heat may distill the earthy taste to some but place it in a paper bag and in a couple of days I think you will find that the earthy taste does return.

The Clabash Chalk that we are speaking of in this forum are also known as Calabash Clay, Nzu, Poto, Calabar Stone, Ndom, Mabele, Argile or La Craie.

OK so this was my final "Essay" of day :)

Check out these articles about chalk:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Chalk.html
http://www.geologyshop.co.uk/chalk.htm

Check out this article about Calabash Chalk:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/lea...

Pictures of the White Cliffs/Chalk of Dover:

http://search.yahoo.com/search...

Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3902 Feb 5, 2013
[QUOTE who=""]Hi Leslie!
Thanks again![/QUOTE]

No red clay yet :) Hey is there anyone here with a good source of red clay? Clay not dirt :). If there is let us know.

Melanija

Many dermatologist believe that Biotin can promote hair growth and strengthen nails.

But tell me, what do they taste like? Like chalk but no earthy flavor? Do you like them more for texture/crunch or taste?
Melanija

Grand Rapids, MI

#3903 Feb 5, 2013
"Melanija

Many dermatologist believe that Biotin can promote hair growth and strengthen nails.

But tell me, what do they taste like? Like chalk but no earthy flavor? Do you like them more for texture/crunch or taste? "

Yes, that's exactly the taste of the Biotin, and yes I did know about the hair/nail benefit, that's initially how I discovered how tasty they were!
Just chalky, dry, pretty bland really other than the chalkiness. Not mediciny at all, I like both the "mouthfeel" and the taste!
Melanija

Grand Rapids, MI

#3904 Feb 5, 2013
Meee258 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it tastes like meds... Or are they chewable tablets. Sorry if that's a dumb question.
No mediciny taste at all, just dru and a little chalky. I love them! Not a dumb question at all!
Melanija

Grand Rapids, MI

#3905 Feb 5, 2013
that's dry not dru, lol!
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3906 Feb 5, 2013
Looks like I'm try it!!!! I'm outta clay....
Meh

Ashburn, VA

#3907 Feb 5, 2013
Rita shah wrote:
Hello Muskan,
I am from India too. i love the greyish balck roasted clay chunks sold in India. My parents r not willing to send it to me either. Doyou know what is the name of that clay? Where can i buy it?
roasted clay? I had never heard about this here in delhi. The only clay i know is fuller's! I am badly on pica, would love to try some.
mary tyler

Atlanta, GA

#3908 Feb 5, 2013
Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mary
Not at this time, but my search is still on for a clean, sanitary source (as clean as earth can be right). Its all over Georgia but you and I know as clay eaters that all sources are not created equal :). Got get it from deep in the ground.
I really wish the hill that my grandma and her friends used back in the day was available.
Ive decided that I'm gonna probably need to take a 2-4 hour trip to South Georgia for a good hill.
The search is still on, but you guys will be the first to know when I locate it :)
. Leslie when u find that hill I would love to take a trip up there and help ya dig and sample at the same time.Lol taste tester
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3909 Feb 5, 2013
mary tyler wrote:
<quoted text>. Leslie when u find that hill I would love to take a trip up there and help ya dig and sample at the same time.Lol taste tester
Mary You are on. Roadtrip!
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3910 Feb 5, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House mulls letting states require drug t... Apr 17 Penguin 16
News Shamrocks program raises more than $100,000 for... Apr 16 Diane Boardman 1
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Apr 14 Anonymous 20
News B.C. man turns nerdy hobby into a million dolla... Apr 7 Teach 1
News Chocolate Day 2018: These Are the Chocolates Yo... Mar 23 Who needs chocolate 2
News USDA to Purchase Surplus Cheese for Food Banks ... (Aug '16) Mar '18 fogsweptglade 2
News Food list grows for WIC users (Oct '09) Mar '18 Miranda Jordan 49