Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#3848 Feb 3, 2013
http://www.ncmedsoc.org/blog/wp-content/uploa...

It is also known as
Calabash Clay, Nzu, Poto, Calabar Stone, Ndom, Mabele, Argile or La Craie, it contains lead and arsenic!!!

The warning on this clay has made it to US health departments even though the clay originates in Africa.
Mary Tyler

Dallas, TX

#3849 Feb 3, 2013
Concerned clay eater wrote:
@ marytyler
Found it, it's tropicalfoodinc. Actually that doesn't look very much like nzu, that resembles mavu's clay which is from Zimbabwe .nzu is always moulded, it is dug from quarrys sieved with water and salt, moulded, then roasted under the sun.
What state in the US do you stay, I know of places in New York where you can get the real salted Nzu
@ cce I live in Texas I sure would love to purchase the Real Nsu Clay . The clay I brought with tropical marker taste like chalk ....its white with some blackish on some of the clay. I bake it and its a little better.I never had Mauv's Clay I do want to purchase some when she is has some in stock.If you or any one on the forum know where I can purchase Real Nzu please let me know. Thanks so much
Mary Tyler

Dallas, TX

#3850 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay wrote:
http://www.globalfoodpittsburg h.com/product.php?id_product=5 48
Iheart it does look good huh don't know if the real Nzu or not.It's called calabar/chalk. Some say it looks kinds old .What do you think ?
Mary Tyler

Dallas, TX

#3851 Feb 3, 2013
ackee wrote:
hi everyone.
I can recall growing up in the Islands and loving the way the air smelled on a rainy day. I have always love that smell. In 2001 I had surgery and was so anemic. I began to have this desire to eat the earth that was beneath my feet. I would go to construction site and retrieve the soil and eat it . It was so good. I was nervous about it bcz I worried that I was hurting myself. I would jump in my car early in the morning 4am to go and get some. I did not want anyone to know. I stopped for about 6 yrs are so lithen about 4 yrs ago I got the urge again so I would go to construction site again. I decided to go on the net to see if something was wrong.
I found that people were eating white dirt so I decided to get some bcz it would be cleaner than dirt on the road. I bought it and love it. I went crazy with it. Experienced the constipation and all. I realize I was out of control and then I found this forum. I have cut back a great deal on my consumption. I do enjoy eating this white chalky, crunchy smooth and earthy clay. I was happy to know I was not alone.
I have no clay now. I want some but I am taking a break where as before I would just get it.
@ ackee its just something about the construction site clay I haven't found no clay like it that I have purchase. The construction site clay is so Good real true clay straight from the ground tampered with at all.I just love it natural , and bake. Drilling thinking about my construction grey clay
Mary Tyler

Dallas, TX

#3852 Feb 3, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @ ackee its just something about the construction site clay I haven't found no clay like it that I have purchase. The construction site clay is so Good real true clay straight from the ground tampered with at all.I just love it natural , and bake. Drilling thinking about my construction grey clay
Lol I meant Drulling .
naymay 21

Korea

#3853 Feb 4, 2013
alternativeal wrote:
<quoted text>
www.clayremedies.com has edible clay in chunk form!
i love it too.. at first i tot i was crazy but now not .. but i really want to know where i can buy some online .
Concerned clay eater

Bristol, UK

#3854 Feb 4, 2013
Hello guys,

I had a most aweful experience this morning, I woke up with pains in my back and abdomen , white taking a shower the pains became unbearable I had to rush out of the shower so I could find place to sit, I was at this point shaking from the pain.

I knew it was the clay because I have felt this way before after eating clay but never this bad, I rushed to the toilet hoping to find relief , but it even got worse, at this point I was retching so badly , shaking and sweating. I was about to call my r
Housemate to call an ambulance! Yes! That is how bad it was.
After using the toilet several times , writhing in pain on my bed , it finally started to subside, I am now drinking lemon and hot water. Te pain is still there but I decided to come her a write this quickly.

I am going to throw the Rest of my clay away, I cannot keep telling myself that it is harmless , this is certainly a wake up call for me.
Ikow I will get craves, but I will take iron tabs and with time and Gods grace I will overcome this habit.

Since: Apr 11

Germantown, WI

#3855 Feb 4, 2013
Hello guys,
I had a most aweful experience this morning, I woke up with pains in my back and abdomen , white taking a shower the pains became unbearable I had to rush out of the shower so I could find place to sit, I was at this point shaking from the pain.
I knew it was the clay because I have felt this way before after eating clay but never this bad, I rushed to the toilet hoping to find relief , but it even got worse, at this point I was retching so badly , shaking and sweating. I was about to call my r
After using the toilet several times , writhing in pain on my bed , it finally started to subside, I am now drinking lemon and hot water. Te pain is still there but I decided to come her a write this quickly.
I am going to throw the Rest of my clay away, I cannot keep telling myself that it is harmless , this is certainly a wake up call for me.
Ikow I will get craves, but I will take iron tabs and with time and Gods grace I will overcome this habit.
I hope you get well hun.
Love Clay

Salisbury, MD

#3856 Feb 4, 2013
@Concerned Clay Eater. so sorry to hear about your bad experience this morning,hearing your story really have me thinking about this whole clay thing.
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3857 Feb 4, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
@Concerned Clay Eater. so sorry to hear about your bad experience this morning,hearing your story really have me thinking about this whole clay thing.
Me too! Hope u feel better. Wow!
Clayaholic

London, UK

#3859 Feb 4, 2013
Why is shipping FROM the U.S sooo expensive in comparison to shipping TO the U.S?? It's just so depressing to have to pay so much more for shipping than the actual product itself!

I really wish there were more UK sellers coz right now it seems like I'm on the outside looking in...at the clay party that's happening in Georgia to be exact. If I lived in America I would be ordering from any and every white dirt seller. Aargh!! This craving issue is soo frustrating!!
Clayaholic

London, UK

#3860 Feb 4, 2013
@concerned clay eater
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Do you mind me asking what clay it was that you ate?? Also how much had you been eating for you to get so bad? Trying to figure out the reason so others can avoid.
Praying for you.
adaku

UK

#3861 Feb 4, 2013
Hello guys,
oh my goodness!hey dear sorry to hear this,hope you are much better,had some similar experience years ago but mine was due to eating clay without food and dat aggravated my ulcer and I saw myself in [email protected] better after 48hrs.......pls let's know how yu are doing.will be praying for you dearie...lots of good health dust!
Geophage27

Warrenville, IL

#3862 Feb 4, 2013
There are some days I wish I could eat clay like this lady eats sand. But I have to remember moderation.

Concerned clay eater

Bristol, UK

#3863 Feb 4, 2013
Hello,
Just getting back from the a&e ward.unfortunatly it not get better so my housemates had to take me in, i told them exactly what I had been taking, which was the calabash chalk. I explained have pica,I even took a sample with me.

My housemates were really shocked they had no idea that ate clay. I can't remember ever being in this much pain, I'm still retching even thoughI have not eaten anything all day.
I actually ate about 10 pieces , which is a lot, so that must have contributed, but I have eaten much more before without any effect.
I ws told i probably picked up some parasites, I've been prescribed some pain killers and told to come back in the morning.
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3864 Feb 4, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
Why is shipping FROM the U.S sooo expensive in comparison to shipping TO the U.S?? It's just so depressing to have to pay so much more for shipping than the actual product itself!
I really wish there were more UK sellers coz right now it seems like I'm on the outside looking in...at the clay party that's happening in Georgia to be exact. If I lived in America I would be ordering from any and every white dirt seller. Aargh!! This craving issue is soo frustrating!!
Hi Clayholic
Chalk lover wrote:
Hi all,
I have white dirt again!!!! Available to all UK clay lovers :-)6 a bag. Plus postage 2.70 1st class or 2.20 2nd class (no delivery tracking - this would be extra)
Email me on [email protected]
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3866 Feb 4, 2013
Hello,
Just getting back from the a&e ward.unfortunatly it not get better so my housemates had to take me in, i told them exactly what I had been taking, which was the calabash chalk. I explained have pica,I even took a sample with me.
My housemates were really shocked they had no idea that ate clay. I can't remember ever being in this much pain, I'm still retching even thoughI have not eaten anything all day.
I actually ate about 10 pieces , which is a lot, so that must have contributed, but I have eaten much more before without any effect.
I ws told i probably picked up some parasites, I've been prescribed some pain killers and told to come back in the morning.
Hi Concerned Clay Eater

Im sorry to hear about your scare. I sincerely hope you feel well soon. Im just curious, were you aware of the health warnings about calabash chalk having been found to contain
lead and arsenic? Was the doctor aware or did they show any concern with this?
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3867 Feb 4, 2013
Geophage27 wrote:
There are some days I wish I could eat clay like this lady eats sand. But I have to remember moderation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =D_6YOGkjmAMXX
Hi Geophage27

I think most of us on this forum agree with you that we must be moderate as in all things that we injest.

Did you ever call the airport, just curious?
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3868 Feb 4, 2013
ingest :)
Clayaholic

London, UK

#3869 Feb 4, 2013
Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Clayholic
Chalk lover wrote:
Hi all,
I have white dirt again!!!! Available to all UK clay lovers :-)6 a bag. Plus postage 2.70 1st class or 2.20 2nd class (no delivery tracking - this would be extra)
Email me on [email protected]
Yeah I have a friend on here that ordered from her 1st class like a week ago I think. and it still hasn't come yet. I want to taste even if it's just a coin size! Is it as good as they say it is??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Dec 9 Lisa 7
News How to Be A Better Medicare Patient Dec 4 Expensive 1
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov 30 old hippy 2
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Nov 27 SSWOI 14
News BOE reminding parents of outside food policy Nov 24 Parent 2
News Energy drinks 'cause mental health problems and... Nov 20 Suezanne 4
News Q&A with... Dr. Wendy Wolfson, a board-certifie... Nov 17 humanspirit 1
More from around the web