Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9271 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

White Dirt

Atlanta, GA

#3828 Feb 3, 2013
A 25% discount for Grandma's White Dirt is available for a limited time at WhiteDirt.com by using the coupon code "topix".
Alexx

Locust Grove, GA

#3829 Feb 3, 2013
Yesterday I broke the big chunks in my second bag of clay into smaller chunks . Now I'm just waiting for it to dry out . Wish I moved the powder from the first bag into a different paper bag because now I can't find my earthy taste in my original paper bag . Well it won't be long until the clay dries out & I'm back to munching on it .:)

I'm going to also stop bringing clay to my school because I feel paranoid that somebody saw me or wonder why I have white stuff on my lips . Lol . & I also feel like I don't eat clay in moderation if I bring it to school . Since I will eat a few chunks in the morning , a few chunks at school every hour , & then come home & eat some more small chunks . So it'll be better if I just eat the clay at home so I won't over do myself .

I remember eating red clay . I used to dig it up in my grandmother back yard . I always wonder did she ever get suspicious seeing red clay sitting on the concrete one day & the next day it's gone . I miss the earthy taste of that . I just hate how it was very gritty & I couldn't swallow it .:/ I wish I could still dig up red clay . But I can't anymore .

I would love to try Mavu clay . Her clay sounds so good & addicting lol .

It's sad to say I wake up in the morning thinking about clay .
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#3830 Feb 3, 2013
Concerned clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
The one from the global market is the calabar( it looks a bit old though) it is very similar to nzu, and if you like nzu you will like that. It is exactly the same type of clay but I think it is made in a different area in Nigeria . The Igbo people of Nigeria make Nzu and I think the calabar people make calabar chalk.
My goodness I just tried baking it for the first time and it is soooo yummy!!!! I can't believe I never tried this before! It is exactly like rain on a very very hot summer day!
Also if your supplier did to store the clay well, it usually takes the flavor of whatever is around it e.g foodstuffs or even soap. Baking it get rid of that bad flavor completely! It's like freshly made.
Thank you CCE I haven't ate Nzu before but I sure want to give it a try do you know where I can purchase some FRESH Nzu from ? Did you look at Tropical Market calabar/ chalk ,what do u think about that one. I'm munching on that one now and I also bake it ..It's much more better bake it doesn't stick to your theeth and gums, more chunchy .
Love Clay

Salisbury, MD

#3831 Feb 3, 2013
Hello everyone I have a question. I try the white dirt for the first time 2 month ago not only did it hurt my stomach it also give me bad constipation. I will like to order some more but I am afraid.
Soul Sista

Aberdeen, UK

#3832 Feb 3, 2013
Awura wrote:
Soul Sista I am still waiting for your email,my email add again is kimberly29gh@yahoo.com...cheer s
I sent you mail a while back. Re-sending it.
Concerned clay eater

Ilford, UK

#3833 Feb 3, 2013
@ Mary Tyler,
I couldn't find it, could you please copy and paste the link.

@ loveclay
You probably ate way too much and did not drink enough water.
MavuSeller

London, UK

#3834 Feb 3, 2013
@Concerned clay eater

Yes I totally agree with you! I wouldn't want my kids eating it either and I know my mum felt the same way too but as I persisted she gave in.(in addition to the fact that I'd always say 'why can't I eat it if you're eating it??')

As much as I love eating it right now a part of me doesn't want this to be a lifetime thing. I plan to stop eventually. How exactly is another story but I think, depending on the person, it can either work gradually weaning yourself of it or being tough on your self and going cold turkey. It's all about willpower and how much you want to stop. But for now I'm going to enjoy it while I can!
Mary Tyler

Atlanta, GA

#3835 Feb 3, 2013
@ cce my laptop is acting up so I can't paste .I will try on my phone but it Tropical Market calabar/chalk for $3.99
Mary Tyler

Atlanta, GA

#3836 Feb 3, 2013
Concerned clay eater wrote:
@ Mary Tyler,
I couldn't find it, could you please copy and paste the link.
@ loveclay
You probably ate way too much and did not drink enough water.
TropicalMarket.inc
Soul Sista

Aberdeen, UK

#3837 Feb 3, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
Hello everyone I have a question. I try the white dirt for the first time 2 month ago not only did it hurt my stomach it also give me bad constipation. I will like to order some more but I am afraid.
You need to drink loads of water when you're eating clay and add a bit of fiber to your diet.
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3838 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3839 Feb 3, 2013
Concerned clay eater

Bristol, UK

#3840 Feb 3, 2013
@ marytyler

Found it, it's tropicalfoodinc. Actually that doesn't look very much like nzu, that resembles mavu's clay which is from Zimbabwe .nzu is always moulded, it is dug from quarrys sieved with water and salt, moulded, then roasted under the sun.

What state in the US do you stay, I know of places in New York where you can get the real salted Nzu
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3841 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3842 Feb 3, 2013
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php...

WOW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS CLAY!!

ONE CAN DREAM...
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3843 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay

London, UK

#3844 Feb 3, 2013
http://vimeo.com/38115198

EAT WHITE DIRT TRAILER.

Can't wait for it to be released!
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3845 Feb 3, 2013
hi everyone.
I can recall growing up in the Islands and loving the way the air smelled on a rainy day. I have always love that smell. In 2001 I had surgery and was so anemic. I began to have this desire to eat the earth that was beneath my feet. I would go to construction site and retrieve the soil and eat it . It was so good. I was nervous about it bcz I worried that I was hurting myself. I would jump in my car early in the morning 4am to go and get some. I did not want anyone to know. I stopped for about 6 yrs are so then about 4 yrs ago I got the urge again so I would go to construction site again. I decided to go on the net to see if something was wrong.
I found that people were eating white dirt so I decided to get some bcz it would be cleaner than dirt on the road. I bought it and love it. I went crazy with it. Experienced the constipation and all. I realize I was out of control and then I found this forum. I have cut back a great deal on my consumption. I do enjoy eating this white chalky, crunchy smooth and earthy clay. I was happy to know I was not alone.

I have no clay now. I want some but I am taking a break where as before I would just get it.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3846 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/photo. php?fbid=201394313328828&s et=a.201394183328841.52626.159 327604202166&type=3&th eater
WOW LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS CLAY!!
ONE CAN DREAM...
Why did you have to post this, lol! We're all going to be fantasizing about having those huge chunks parked in our yards.

Seriously though, I think this is my new favorite picture of clay.
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3847 Feb 3, 2013
Iheartclay wrote:
http://dirteaters.tumblr.com/
MUST READ!
Iheartclay
I live 10 min away from the Sweet Auburn Curb Market, been going all my life. Remember when I told you that my mom got her first taste of White Dirt From a Friend, well this is where they used to by it over 20 years ago and they still sell it there.

The Sweet Auburn Historic District is a historic African-American neighborhood along Auburn Avenue (originally named Wheat Street) in Atlanta, Georgia. The name Sweet Auburn was coined by John Wesley Dobbs, referring to the "richest Negro street in the world".

If you ever get to Atlanta, Check it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) May 10 lorrthedot 11
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) May 7 notapedo 22
News Maple, honey producers not sweet on added sugar... May 2 coyote505 2
News White House mulls letting states require drug t... Apr 25 NeedToKnowInfo 20
News Exchange club eyes unused playground for commun... (Jul '10) Apr 25 Pamela Womack-Canon 3
News Food4Kids has local drop-off point (Dec '13) Apr 24 Life eh 4
News Shamrocks program raises more than $100,000 for... Apr '18 Diane Boardman 1