Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9005 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3806 Feb 2, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text>I've been hearing great things about Leslie's dirt. Time got away from me & I didn't place my order. But, I will be. I know what you mean about the cornstarch...I use a tablespoon!!!!! Now that I've found a store that sells Argo in the box & not the plastic container.....cornstarch bliss!!!! My next box I'm going to take it out of that white paper it comes in and pour it directly into the box. I'm wondering if it will get drier bcuz it's in the cardboard container. I was also thinking about putting the box in the sun w/ the top cut off...how did u eat your cornstarch? I found out there's a lot of people on twitter that eat cornstarch.
Also I'll send u a sample of my dirt I got from Leslie. I was so scared to order... Cuz I feared it will be a waste. But I'll let u try mine. I was wanting someone to offer me that. Lol just let me know
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#3807 Feb 2, 2013
Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Monica
Girl stop!! you are cracking me up lol.
The dirt for me taste clean and crisp as does the ice. I call it the search for the taste of ozone, like how the in the window air conditioners smell. When I was a kid I loved that smell and wanted to taste it, thats my ice.
I know what smell you're talking about . I used to sit right in front of the a/c just to smell it & wonder what it might've tasted like . Mmm glad I'm not the only one who experienced this .:)
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#3808 Feb 2, 2013
I finally tried white dirt for the first time this week. I think it is an acquired taste. I'm used to red dirt with the sour taste and just did not get the taste I was looking for in the white dirt. It reminds me of Argo starch from years ago but I will still give it a try for a few more days. I put it in the microwave it tasted better but I think I'm going to experiment and try some other clays as well.
Soul Sista

Aberdeen, UK

#3809 Feb 2, 2013
Concerned clay eater wrote:
I just called my supplier for calabash chalk, now I'm getting ready to get on the bus off about an hour to go pick it up!!! The crave was soooo bad last night. Hmmmm can't wait for the 'crunch' of that first bite!
Still taking iron tabs though.but once in a while I just need that clay
Is calabash chalk from Nigeria? What is the difference between that and nzu?
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#3810 Feb 2, 2013
Meee258 wrote:
<quoted text>
Also I'll send u a sample of my dirt I got from Leslie. I was so scared to order... Cuz I feared it will be a waste. But I'll let u try mine. I was wanting someone to offer me that. Lol just let me know
thank u so much for the offer, i really appreciate that. My work schedule is kind of crazy but hopefully I will get it done soon...lol
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#3811 Feb 2, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
I finally tried white dirt for the first time this week. I think it is an acquired taste. I'm used to red dirt with the sour taste and just did not get the taste I was looking for in the white dirt. It reminds me of Argo starch from years ago but I will still give it a try for a few more days. I put it in the microwave it tasted better but I think I'm going to experiment and try some other clays as well.
I've always wonder what red dirt taste like. Does it come in chunks?
monica

Hattiesburg, MS

#3812 Feb 2, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
Alabama red is the red dirt available where you live;l live in Ms and its plentiful here but hard to get! I would love to try it!
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#3813 Feb 2, 2013
monica wrote:
<quoted text> Alabama red is the red dirt available where you live;l live in Ms and its plentiful here but hard to get! I would love to try it!
yeah I would love to try some too! I live in Virginia and there's no good dirt here.
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#3814 Feb 2, 2013
monica wrote:
<quoted text> Alabama red is the red dirt available where you live;l live in Ms and its plentiful here but hard to get! I would love to try it!
Same here it's hard to come by so I thought I would try something different. The search continues to find some clay that suits my taste.
Concerned clay eater

Wigan, UK

#3815 Feb 2, 2013
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
Is calabash chalk from Nigeria? What is the difference between that and nzu?
Yes it is, it's very similar to Nzu, but calabash chalk is not salty and is moulded in a round shape
I'm munching on some now!! I used to prefer nzu, but sometimes it's just too salty.
Awura

Colchester, UK

#3816 Feb 2, 2013
Soul Sista I am still waiting for your email,my email add again is kimberly29gh@yahoo.com...cheer s
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3817 Feb 2, 2013
Welcome to any new people :).
Love Clay Hema Reshma and anyone who is just reading and likes the forum.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3818 Feb 2, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here it's hard to come by so I thought I would try something different. The search continues to find some clay that suits my taste.
Same here in Ga guys. Plentiful, but good clean sources are hard to come by.
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#3819 Feb 2, 2013
Concerned clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is, it's very similar to Nzu, but calabash chalk is not salty and is moulded in a round shape
I'm munching on some now!! I used to prefer nzu, but sometimes it's just too salty.
Concern Clay Eaters I'm learning so much about different clays on this forum ( just love it) So nzu isn't the same as calabarchalk? I order some online and on the bag it says calabar/ chalk .Lol I though it was Nzu ,can u explain to me what's the different ? Also can u take a look at two online websites ( Tropical Market)?I order that calabar came in chunks.Global Market is another calabar I wants to order but it in a ball shape .Is the Global Calabar the nzu salted kind?
Mary Tyler

Fort Worth, TX

#3820 Feb 2, 2013
Love Clay wrote:
Hi Mary, Thank you for your welcome and respond to my post.I was wondering when did you placed your order with dsikanartey@hotmail.com also can you tell me your waited time so far.
Youre Welcome I placed my order around 23 of January I'm still waiting ...Hopefully it will arrive soon
MavuSeller

UK

#3821 Feb 2, 2013
Childhood curiosity is the reason I started eating clay.

I remember growing up in Zimbabwe and I'd see my mum sat outside munching at was was then an unknown 'treat'. Basically something I knew that I couldn't have as she was clearly hiding it from view but this only made me want to know what it was even more!

Fast forward a couple of years and I find myself in England and my mum is awaiting a package. I know that it's of great importance because she frantically rings me after school whilst she's still at work, "Is it there yet?! Has it arrived???!" I check downstairs and there it is. A brown package which is clearly from Zim as the postage stamps give it away.

Curious at why the package was so important I wait patiently until she gets home and then I hear the rustling of the unknown package. I go halfway down the stairs and peer through the banister and finally it's revealed. It's that clay she ate in Zim! So I nonchalantly come down the stairs trying to act like I know what it is and I'm not bothered. And with that confirmation my mum just went about with her clay eating business without a care in the world.

Then one evening, still with the curiosity of your average eight year old, I saw her special box of clay that she kept the Mavu in the kitchen and there was my chance to finally know what was so good about it. So, checking both doors that lead to the kitchen twice I reached my hand and took a tiny, bitesize piece and brought it to my mouth. Inhaling it's earthy, baked smell, I held it there for a second and then popped it into my mouth.

WOOOW!! I finally understood why! As it lay on my tongue and absorbed my saliva, it crumbled slightly and I began to circle it on the roof of my mouth until it dissolved and I swallowed the remaining parts. Not only did it taste so good, it reminded me of back home when the sun had been beating down for a good couple of days and the first sprinkle of rain fell on the dry soil.(A smell I know many of you are all too familiar with) I don't know what it was but eating it was just comforting, soothing and calming.

So from that point forward there was NO turning back! I'm 21 now so that's 13 years of eating Mavu!! That's not to say that my mother easily embraced my newfound craving for this beautiful clay. Being a mother, obviously me eating clay was not a good thing in her eyes given my age which meant I started going behind her back to get my some of that clay.

It got to the point where she'd hide it from me and I mean go out of her way to really hide it. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if she had bought a safe specifically for it! Either way I found it and I'm not going to lie, finding it made it taste even better like it was a prize or something.

Anyway, fast forward another couple of years, she finally accepted defeat and would share out her clay whenever her relatives would send/bring some. I mean it wasn't a 50/50 split, more of a 70/30 but I wasn't complaining :) I'm sure I looked even more forward to it coming than she did!

But oh I have to talk about the long periods of time when it wasn't there. These were sad times indeed! I'd call them the Mavu drought. The cravings where so bad but there was nothing I could do. There were times were I'd start Mavu hallucinating. I'm sure some of you have done this were you mistake an object or food for your beloved clay. These times drove me insane! I'm sure you can relate.

Actually, I've just remembered that it was these times of 'drought' that led me to this forum. I recall jumping on google and searching for anything to do with eating clay, mainly where I could buy some from and actual information on why I ate it anyway. Sad to say I couldn't find anywhere to buy from but I didn't leave my search empty handed...I found you ladies!:)
MavuSeller

UK

#3822 Feb 2, 2013
My mum eventually stopped eating clay suddenly after an operation which meant..more clay for me! But I would read the posts of you ladies going through the same frustrations I did when I didn't have a source of clay and so I decided to start MAVU.

Even whilst I have my own clay which I fully stand by as the BEST clay (biased I know lol) I still love to try other clays. So far I've tasted the Ghana egg shaped, the Kenyan odowa, the red termite soil, the Tanzanian red soil squares and some other clay I got from an African shop in Manchester. Not too sure what country that was from. The one I would LOVE to try is Ms Leslie and Ms Wanda's clay. I need me some US dirt!

Anyway! Enough of me blabbing on! Let's get some interaction going on.

I would LOVE to hear 5 things.

1. What made you start eating clay

2. How long have you been eating clay?

3. How did you found this forum?

4. What's your favourite (ideal) clay?

5. What clay would you love to try?

Even the cornstarch eaters get involved! Let's share ladies!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3823 Feb 2, 2013
Hi Mavuseller, loved your story! Would be great to read more stories like this, of how we got started on clay and similar things.

This is my first post in a while - here it is a crazy hour of the morning and I am awake craving clay. I have some baked DE and baked bentonite (made from powder), and it is good but to me it lacks that earthy taste. I've put some in a brown paper bag and hope it does something for it like people say it does for white dirt.
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#3825 Feb 3, 2013
@love clay...you are much welcome.here you say it just how you feel it without being judged...the forum also helps you to achieve moderation if that is what you want.....
Concerned clay eater

Wigan, UK

#3826 Feb 3, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> Concern Clay Eaters I'm learning so much about different clays on this forum ( just love it) So nzu isn't the same as calabarchalk? I order some online and on the bag it says calabar/ chalk .Lol I though it was Nzu ,can u explain to me what's the different ? Also can u take a look at two online websites ( Tropical Market)?I order that calabar came in chunks.Global Market is another calabar I wants to order but it in a ball shape .Is the Global Calabar the nzu salted kind?
The one from the global market is the calabar( it looks a bit old though) it is very similar to nzu, and if you like nzu you will like that. It is exactly the same type of clay but I think it is made in a different area in Nigeria . The Igbo people of Nigeria make Nzu and I think the calabar people make calabar chalk.

My goodness I just tried baking it for the first time and it is soooo yummy!!!! I can't believe I never tried this before! It is exactly like rain on a very very hot summer day!

Also if your supplier did to store the clay well, it usually takes the flavor of whatever is around it e.g foodstuffs or even soap. Baking it get rid of that bad flavor completely! It's like freshly made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is free school lunch the next great American en... 4 hr Coonologist 2
News St. Paul schools putting free meals on wheels Tue Mikey 2
News High-protein diets may backfire in the long run Jun 28 xexe 3
News Republicans Are Waging An Unprecedented War Aga... Jun 25 Miss Id 1
News School Nutritionists: Participation in School L... Jun 25 Miss Id 1
News Soda tax? Dietary guidelines panel advises maki... Jun 24 Hey 5
News Obama: Low-income Kids Do Worse in School at Mo... Jun 24 Jaimie 2
More from around the web