Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
3,521 - 3,540 of 7,870 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
I also did a face mask w/ Wanda cla
Hi Mary

I do face mask as well. I find that the kaolin clay makes a good face mask and that it draws out oils and impurities very well.

I do one about once a month. Its nice to see that someone else has this practice as well.

Also I have very oily skin and I keep a bit of the dust in a compact to blot with on occasion.

Kaolin is used in baby powder and lots of cosmetics. The great thing about the pure kind is no additives especially for those with sensitive skin.

Its really a very wondrous product when you think about it.

Its great to get some good clay, enjoy!
Mz libra

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mary
I do face mask as well. I find that the kaolin clay makes a good face mask and that it draws out oils and impurities very well.
I do one about once a month. Its nice to see that someone else has this practice as well.
Also I have very oily skin and I keep a bit of the dust in a compact to blot with on occasion.
Kaolin is used in baby powder and lots of cosmetics. The great thing about the pure kind is no additives especially for those with sensitive skin.
Hi Leslie, I have a question about the clay you sell. I use to order from Sam's White Dirt. Your clay is not processed like his? I want to order some to give it a try. I've had Granny's Own but it was very sour. It wasn't bad. I also eat cornstarch but I want to start eating white dirt again.
Clayaholic

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Is cornstarch and clay the same tasting? It's only that in the UK we have cornflour I tasted a teaspoon full just to try and understand the correlation and I just couldn't. Plus the weight gain aspect of it
Mary Tyler

Wallis, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mary
Its really a very wondrous product wheen you think about it.
@ Leslie I order so much and I don't want to eat it all Lol .So I did a face mask which I really enjoyed .I'm also gonna try it in my hair as a conditioner . My nzu calabar/chalk should arrive tommorow hopefully I'm gonna munch on that one.Have a good day .
Meee258

Hartley, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Mary

How do u bake it? And how to do the face mask.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Leslie, I have a question about the clay you sell. I use to order from Sam's White Dirt. Your clay is not processed like his? I want to order some to give it a try. I've had Granny's Own but it was very sour. It wasn't bad. I also eat cornstarch but I want to start eating white dirt again.
Hi Mz Libra

I would be happy to sell you some White Dirt.
Actually the brand that I eat and Use is Granny's Own.

I think that people should understand that the quality/taste/texture of clay changes by batch depending where it was mined that particular day. I heard some people say that they got some that was not very good from Mutt and Jeff/really sandy and gritty.

Ive had Down Home, Granny's Own, Home Grown etc... I myself sell Granny's Own because over the years the quality has always been consistent. Its always clean and fresh. I know the sour taste that you speak of, its what I kept running into with Down home Georgia Brand (never consistent and never new what I would get).

Granny's Own is smooth and Ive yet to get a gritty/sour useful batch.

I eat the dirt, unlike the people at the other companies that just box it up and send it of. Whatever batch that's mailed to you, you can be sure that the quality is OK because that's the box that I would be currently eating from.

The current box has a nice flavor, haven't had any sour pieces. Its smooth but with crunch. I always end up drying in the microwave so it gets crunchier that way as well.

Ive eaten cornstarch but since you cant get it in chunk form anymore It doesn't really satisfy me. Also the food grade cornstarch can contribute to weight gain where as White Dirt/Clay tends to help maintain or loose weight.

A lot of people are also under the impression that just because the clay is bright white that it has been processed but that's not the case. Different mines/locations provide different coloring and different textures. Granny's Own consistently provides kaolin that is smooth and bright white. Ive contacted the company myself to be sure that the dirt is not processed just bagged. Ive had occasion with other companies to get twigs and large pebbles and things from other companies but Granny's Own always has consistent quality which is why they are my brand of choice to eat and to sale.

Also what people don't understand is that a heavier mineral flavor will come from the darker soils. For instance our red clay here in Ga is red from the iron content and it has a heavier soil flavor but its not as easily sourced as the Kaolin.

Go ahead and give it a try again. Shoot me an email to LeslieCinGa@yahoo.com and I can send your order out with my next shipment on tomorrow morning and you can have it in 2-3 business days.

Oh and try some of my tips for drying. I can honestly tell you from being a consumer that White Dirt taste better when allowed to dry naturally or after drying letting it sit in a paper bag for a couple of days. But this is very hard to do since we all love to eat it so much :)!

You have a beautiful day.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
Is cornstarch and clay the same tasting? It's only that in the UK we have cornflour I tasted a teaspoon full just to try and understand the correlation and I just couldn't. Plus the weight gain aspect of it
Hi Clayaholic

I don't think that cornstarch tastes anything like clay. Nor does flour, starch, baby powder or rice, just some of the things that we are want to eat when looking for the taste of rain on a hot summer day along with a nice crunch that does not destroy your teeth.

Also you wont gain weight from clay but you just might if you eat too much Cornstarch.

Cornstarch is starch that is ground from the white endosperm at the heart of a kernel of corn. It's used as a thickening agent in cooking, a health-conscious alternative to talc, and the main ingredient in a biodegradable plastic. Powdered sugar also includes a small amount so that it does not clump.

In the kitchen, cornstarch can be used as a binder for puddings or similar foods, or as a thickener for sauces, stews, and similar dishes. Combined with milk and sugar, it can be used in a simple pudding. It can form unappetizing clumps in hot water, so if cooks need to thicken something that is already cooking on the stove, experts recommend mixing a bit in a glass with cold water before adding it to the pot. Some people prefer cornstarch-based baby powder.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> @ Leslie I order so much and I don't want to eat it all Lol .So I did a face mask which I really enjoyed .I'm also gonna try it in my hair as a conditioner . My nzu calabar/chalk should arrive tommorow hopefully I'm gonna munch on that one.Have a good day .
I feel you Mary :).
Clayaholic

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Wow Leslie! You are quite the essay queen aren't you!
dirt cookies

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

at mary tyler, what's wrong with you girl? good clay is for the mouth, not for the face! talking about using the clay for face mask! lol, just kidding!

did you get the taste you were looking for? did you bake the clay? did you get the earthy taste?
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Meee258 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do u bake it? And how to do the face mask.
Hi Mee

My Clay Mask Mixture: Kaolin Clay, Tea Tree Oil, Honey, and a bit of purified bottled water.

Look Below and Find an ideal mixture for yourself :):

1. Choose a clay powder. White Kaolin clay is best for dry or sensitive skin. For a single clay mask use 3 tablespoons of clay powder.

2. Choose your essential oils. Adding essential oils can allow you to add fragrance and also health benefits to your clay mask. You will want to choose the few that you like and add a couple of drops each to your clay.

Here are a few options that you might want to choose from:

-Tea Tree Oil: Kills bacteria and helps with acne
-Geranium Oil: Balances oily and dry portions for combination skin
-Juniper Oil: Detoxify the skin
-Lavender Oil: Soothes redness
-Sandalwood Oil: Nourishes dry skin

3. Choose additives. You can also add a variety of other ingredients to meet your skins needs and add wonderful traits to your mask. There are lots of things to choose from. Add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of whichever types you desire.

-Honey: Antibacterial to help with acne and moisturizing for dry skin
-Yogurt: Smooths, soothes, and moisturizes
-Rosewater: Reduces inflammation, heals, and soothes
-Vitamin E Oil: anti aging, healing, and moisturizing
-Aloe Vera Gel: soothing, moisturizing, healing

4. Mix all the ingredients together well. Depending on your choices your mask may still be powdery and dry or may have a good texture.

5. If your clay mask is still dry you will want to add a little water (using purified or filtered water is best) or a little tea (either prepared green or chamomile tea which will add nutrients to your skin) to moisten it to the desired consistency.

6. To use your mask apply a thin layer to the skin and let sit for 10-15 minutes to dry. Rinse thoroughly, wash your face, use astringent or toner, and finish with a good moisturizer!

Here's a Link to where I found the article that helped me mix my mask: http://www.ehow.com/how_4930097_clay-mask.htm...

Oh and see my earlier post about drying/baking Georgia White Dirt

Have a great day
Mz libra

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mz Libra
I would be happy to sell you some White Dirt.
Actually the brand that I eat and Use is Granny's Own.
I think that people should understand that the quality/taste/texture of clay changes by batch depending where it was mined that particular day. I heard some people say that they got some that was not very good from Mutt and Jeff/really sandy and gritty.
Ive had Down Home, Granny's Own, Home Grown etc... I myself sell Granny's Own because over the years the quality has always been consistent. Its always clean and fresh. I know the sour taste that you speak of, its what I kept running into with Down home Georgia Brand (never consistent and never new what I would get).
Granny's Own is smooth and Ive yet to get a gritty/sour useful batch.
I eat the dirt, unlike the people at the other companies that just box it up and send it of. Whatever batch that's mailed to you, you can be sure that the quality is OK because that's the box that I would be currently eating from.
The current box has a nice flavor, haven't had any sour pieces. Its smooth but with crunch. I always end up drying in the microwave so it gets crunchier that way as well.
Ive eaten cornstarch but since you cant get it in chunk form anymore It doesn't really satisfy me. Also the food grade cornstarch can contribute to weight gain where as White Dirt/Clay tends to help maintain or loose weight.
A lot of people are also under the impression that just because the clay is bright white that it has been processed but that's not the case. Different mines/locations provide different coloring and different textures. Granny's Own consistently provides kaolin that is smooth and bright white. Ive contacted the company myself to be sure that the dirt is not processed just bagged. Ive had occasion with other companies to get twigs and large pebbles and things from other companies but Granny's Own always has consistent quality which is why they are my brand of choice to eat and to sale.
Also what people don't understand is that a heavier mineral flavor will come from the darker soils. For instance our red clay here in Ga is red from the iron content and it has a heavier soil flavor but its not as easily sourced as the Kaolin.
Go ahead and give it a try again. Shoot me an email to LeslieCinGa@yahoo.com and I can send your order out with my next shipment on tomorrow morning and you can have it in 2-3 business days.
Oh and try some of my tips for drying. I can honestly tell you from being a consumer that White Dirt taste better when allowed to dry naturally or after drying letting it sit in a paper bag for a couple of days. But this is very hard to do since we all love to eat it so much :)!
You have a beautiful day.
will send u an email this week...
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
Wow Leslie! You are quite the essay queen aren't you!
Sometimes I go overboard, my apologies if I went on a bit too long in any one post :)
Clayaholic

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I go overboard, my apologies if I went on a bit too long in any one post :)
Sometimes?! Haha but hey I'm sure you are answering people's questions without them even having to ask or knowing they wanted to know. Quite informative at times.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes?! Haha but hey I'm sure you are answering people's questions without them even having to ask or knowing they wanted to know. Quite informative at times.
Thanks Clayholic

Thats why I love this forum. On the whole its a great place for a discussion with a great group of people.

Also I love White Dirt and Ive been eating it all my life. I will be 43 this year!!

I don't agree with the stigma that some like to attach to the practice of clay eating so I can be a bit zealous about it.

I eat it in front of everyone and I don't really care what they think. If they ask about it then I explain my love of it and the practice/geophagy. I even keep it in the car just in case I get a craving while not at home :)

Ive had many a lively debate with people about the practice and I usually win :)

I think that since its sold a lot here in Ga (in stores) that its a bit more accepted (not a lot accepted) than in other places.

It must be fate because while attending college in Savannah Ga "years" ago I met and married my husband who just happened to be from Sandersville GA, the Kaolin Capital of the world. Much of my husbands family works for Thiele Kaolin company.

I ate white dirt long before I met him, Coincidence or Fate :)

One of the best experiences ever is to take a bucket and go dig your own. It taste good but its beautiful to look at as well.

Eat Clay and Enjoy everyone!

"She signs off and gets off her Soap Box " :)
Meee258

Hartley, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes?! Haha but hey I'm sure you are answering people's questions without them even having to ask or knowing they wanted to know. Quite informative at times.
Thanks Leslie ! You have me just what I needed. I appreciate u.
Clayaholic

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Clayholic
Thats why I love this forum. On the whole its a great place for a discussion with a great group of people.
Also I love White Dirt and Ive been eating it all my life. I will be 43 this year!!
I don't agree with the stigma that some like to attach to the practice of clay eating so I can be a bit zealous about it.
I eat it in front of everyone and I don't really care what they think. If they ask about it then I explain my love of it and the practice/geophagy. I even keep it in the car just in case I get a craving while not at home :)
Ive had many a lively debate with people about the practice and I usually win :)
I think that since its sold a lot here in Ga (in stores) that its a bit more accepted (not a lot accepted) than in other places.
It must be fate because while attending college in Savannah Ga "years" ago I met and married my husband who just happened to be from Sandersville GA, the Kaolin Capital of the world. Much of my husbands family works for Thiele Kaolin company.
I ate white dirt long before I met him, Coincidence or Fate :)
One of the best experiences ever is to take a bucket and go dig your own. It taste good but its beautiful to look at as well.
Eat Clay and Enjoy everyone!
"She signs off and gets off her Soap Box " :)
You eat it in public!? I wish I could! Technically there is no reason why I couldn't. I'm sure people wouldn't believe their eyes anyway. Also I'm assuming your husband knows right? What is his reaction to it?
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
You eat it in public!? I wish I could! Technically there is no reason why I couldn't. I'm sure people wouldn't believe their eyes anyway. Also I'm assuming your husband knows right? What is his reaction to it?
Hi Clayholic

Yea he knows, and has always known. He drinks beer and I don't like that taste just as he dosent like clay. He knows how to live and let live.

Its funny, hes from where its mined and plenty of people eat it but he said before he met me he never heard of the practice. But then again, men are not as tuned in to things around them that dont affect them :)

Most people in my family eat it only if its just to taste. Now my nieces are another story, when them sisters visit I have to watch them cause they will try to take it all home :)
Leslie

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Meee258 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Leslie ! You have me just what I needed. I appreciate u.
Mee
You are most welcome :)
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Leslie clay is so good . It's some chunks that i have that is still soft & when I chew on it , it like break into this dust form in my mouth & it melts in my mouth . The clay is soo good . I'm eating it in moderation giving the fact that I now DO swallow the clay . So I don't want to eat too much & get constipated or something . But it's so hard trying to stay away from good clay . I kept going inside the brown paper bag like every hour to every other hour . Either way I'm addicted . It's soo good .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••