Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,753
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Mz libra

Alexandria, VA

#3599 Jan 25, 2013
Hi everyone!!!! Haven't posted in awhile. Reading all the post about clay.....yummy!!!! Placing my order from Wanda tomorrow. Also I'm back to eating cornstarch.
Clay Partner

Johannesburg, South Africa

#3600 Jan 25, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
Hi everyone!!!! Haven't posted in awhile. Reading all the post about clay.....yummy!!!! Placing my order from Wanda tomorrow. Also I'm back to eating cornstarch.
I am really curious, Why do you do this to yourself? What is cornstarch used for incase I thinking of something else?
Clay Partner

Johannesburg, South Africa

#3601 Jan 25, 2013
Is clay/soil eating not a form of addiction?
'Cause to me it doesn't make sense, there are things I crave but I would't search the end of the earth just to eat it. For instance I like chocolate and sometimes crave it but I am able to control myself if I don't get it. You will not find me going through the till point everyday just to get a fix. Why do you do this people, why?!
Clayaholic

UK

#3602 Jan 25, 2013
Clay Partner wrote:
'Cause to me it doesn't make sense, there are things I crave but I would't search the end of the earth just to eat it. For instance I like chocolate and sometimes crave it but I am able to control myself if I don't get it. You will not find me going through the till point everyday just to get a fix. Why do you do this people, why?!
Coz its nice. Yummy in fact. We search the ends of the earth coz its hard to find the right one. Everyone has a preference. You see chocolate is readily available; clay isnt. Therefore it only seems like we're addicts because we have to search high and low to get it. Trust me if everyone of us could just pop into our local store and there wasn't such a stigma against eating clay, this forum wouldn't exist.
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3604 Jan 25, 2013
Clay Partner wrote:
Strange you should be concerned about the practice eating of clay.

What of the habit of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs etc...

There are those who are addicted to chocolate as well :)

As I said moderation is the key. I love clay like one would like chips but just as I don't binge on Chips, I do not binge on clay.

People have certain products that they prefer whether its Ketchup or shampoo and there is no difference here in this forum.

We have certain clays that we like and some of us wish to try others.

If you know of someone with a clay eating problem then you may need to assume that its unique the them.

Oh and just because you don't understand something does not make it strange. Just chalk it up to its not for you and leave it at that.

I hate Sprite, Ginger-ale, Mountain Dew and 7 up but I do know those that love it. Some go to the ends of the earth for their favorite soda or coffee etc....... Does this make sense to you? If it does not make sense to your unique tastes and sensibilities is there a problem? People eat snails, bats, rats in certain parts of the world, maybe that's strange to you as well but I say again don't eat it. Live and let live.

All around the world, individuals have their own acquired taste. Clay eating is a centuries old practice done for a number of reasons but mostly we in this forum love the taste of clay.

As wants, needs, habits, addictions etc.... go there are many that are much more harmful to the human condition and maybe you would do well to address your concern to those issues instead. Drug addiction anyone?

We love clay and really there is nothing wrong with that. As I said before, all things in moderation.

Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3605 Jan 25, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
I miss cornstarch so much...:-(
StraightShooter

Pretoria, South Africa

#3606 Jan 25, 2013
Hi Clay Eaters,Pls Check out this video of Daniel Vitalis talking about the amazing benefits of eating clay:
Clayaholic

UK

#3607 Jan 25, 2013
Is cornstarch the same as cornflour??
Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3608 Jan 25, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
Is cornstarch the same as cornflour??
It's like flour. People used it to cook. It's used as thickening agent in Gravies.
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#3609 Jan 26, 2013
I recieved my clay from Leslie a couple of days ago . & when I first got it I took a bite out of a chunk to see does it needs to be dried out & does it have an earthy flavor . Well the clay was incredibly soft & it had a slight earthy flavor . So I put some chunks in 2 different brown paper bags . Put one outside in the sun so it'll dry out quicker . After a few days of letting it dry out I finally tasted it & it had the right crunch I was looking for & the right earthy flavor . The clay is really really smooth . I enjoy that . The clay seems to not stick to my teeth like how some other clay does . I really enjoy the clay .
Clayaholic

UK

#3610 Jan 26, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I recieved my clay from Leslie a couple of days ago . & when I first got it I took a bite out of a chunk to see does it needs to be dried out & does it have an earthy flavor . Well the clay was incredibly soft & it had a slight earthy flavor . So I put some chunks in 2 different brown paper bags . Put one outside in the sun so it'll dry out quicker . After a few days of letting it dry out I finally tasted it & it had the right crunch I was looking for & the right earthy flavor . The clay is really really smooth . I enjoy that . The clay seems to not stick to my teeth like how some other clay does . I really enjoy the clay .
I always love reading reviews on clay! How do mean it was soft? Like not crumbly? Have you tried it baked?
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3611 Jan 26, 2013
Alexx wrote:
Hi Alexx

Im glad to hear that you got your shipment and that you are enjoying your clay.

You have a beautiful day.
Leslie
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3612 Jan 26, 2013
Hello Everybody

Check out Georgia White Dirt FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Georgia-White-...

Buy Georgia White Dirt
1 pd/16 0z bags
$5.00 per bag

Priority Shipping/Handling Prices USA:

Flat Rate Shipping Prices
Small Box - Holds up to 2 bags $5.35
Medium Box - Holds up to 15 bags $11.35
Handling=$3.00
Delivery: 2 - 3 business days

Priority Shipping/Handling Prices International:

Flat Rate Shipping Prices
Small Box - Holds up to 2 bags $16.95
Medium Box - Holds up to 15 bags $47.95
Handling=$3.00
Delivery: 6 - 10 business days

If you are interested, email me at LeslieCinGa@yahoo.com

I can only ship after payment is received.
Payment taken via Pay Pal (invoice sent to you via email).

Have a Great Day and Eat Clay!

Leslie
Leslie

Acworth, GA

#3613 Jan 26, 2013
About White Dirt/Kaolin Clay

The White Dirt/Kaolin is dug and packaged in plastic bags so any moisture in the clay takes a long time to dry out when it is bagged for shipping.

Sometimes its pretty dry when delivered but that depends on how long its been on the shelf/stored.

Most people dry their clay in some way:

*Naturally in the sun
*In a bowl on a high shelf because heat rises
*In a brown bag in the sun (my preference)
*In a Brown Bag in the Sun in your car because its kinda like a natural oven (a preference of mine as well)
*In a brown bag in the microwave (my 2nd preference)
*In the oven (low heat 170-200 degrees, this is gas, I don't know about electric ovens) on a cookie sheet, watch it you don't want to scorch it

I use the microwave when I want to be quick, and that's most always the case because I love the taste so much :)

However you eat it, understand that Kaolin can take on the taste that's in the air/in the house (that's why it taste so good dried out in the sun, but sun drying is harder in the winter). So if you have lots of air freshener around be sure to store it somewhere by itself or in a air tight container.

Also, keep in mind that baking it in the oven or microwave should be done with care. It can burn.
Baking it makes it harder/crunchier

When baking it in the microwave I usually place two bags end to end because when it dries it expands and can pop all over the microwave with out the top bag on it :). Same goes is you use a bowl, wrap the bowl in a clean dry cloth so the dirt does not pop all over the microwave.

These are just some suggestions from a Georgia Girl that has loved and enjoyed White Dirt since I was a child.

Eat Dirt and Enjoy
Leslie
Mary Tyler

Raywood, TX

#3614 Jan 26, 2013
Alexx wrote:
I did receive my clay from Wanda today. It's very soft creamy and smooth..I will try to bake some and see if I can get that taste I'm looking for. Thanks Wanda bag is very full .
Clayaholic

UK

#3615 Jan 26, 2013
is wanda goodoledirt?
Alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3616 Jan 26, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
is wanda goodoledirt?
Yes
Alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3617 Jan 26, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
I always love reading reviews on clay! How do mean it was soft? Like not crumbly? Have you tried it baked?
It wasn't hard to bite into & it was crunchy when you chew on it . Not crumbly . Never tried it bake . Any instructions on baking it ?
Alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3618 Jan 26, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text> I did receive my clay from Wanda today. It's very soft creamy and smooth..I will try to bake some and see if I can get that taste I'm looking for. Thanks Wanda bag is very full .
Glad that you're enjoying the clay .
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3619 Jan 26, 2013
I also did a face mask w/ Wanda cla

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 things to know about epilepsy 16 hr DeeDee86 2
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Tue ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) Dec 6 Earthling-1 101
Obesity can shave years off life: study Dec 6 Pebbles 1
Having a midriff crisis (May '10) Dec 5 Kingsman 11
More from around the web