Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9213 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mmmmm

Mitcham, UK

#3585 Jan 24, 2013
I have a friend from Senegal she said she had a lot of clay and she said she would give me some it was a sandish brown colour it was smooth and delicious the most delicious clay I ever tasted. It was like eating the breeze from a mountain after rain.
Mmmm

Mitcham, UK

#3586 Jan 24, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
I can't drink juice/tea/coffee when eating my clay. Messes the flavour up for me. Only water to keep it pure. Does anyone know if you can get clay from Tanzania? Do they have their own type?
Yes,I tasted some clay from Tanazania from a elderly woman who lived in the deep in the bush it was melt in your mouth cool and smooth. She was a very wise woman and that clay was something speacial...do you want me to get some?...
clay junkie

UK

#3587 Jan 24, 2013
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always wanted to try odowa. I went online to read about it recently. I have a friend in Kenya who just loves it. It says online that it is usually eaten by the poor people which is a wrong notion. It's a crave and I'm sure if people were to come out properly they would realise that it is written by all classes of people. I would love to try it.
True its just a notion , odowa is widely eaten and even sold in the suburbs to the supermarkets This should give all a clear indication of the extent of its consumption. There are two types of odoa.... The grey one mostly sold in supermarkets n central part of Kenya, and the reddish one (the one u see on you tube) if my friend comes through with some I will most definately send you a sample.
mary tyler

Humble, TX

#3588 Jan 24, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Anyone ordered clay from mavuseller recently and received their order ? I placed an order on sunday which they told me they would post on Monday but have not received it as yet.. Received no reply to my emails... Wondering what's up...
Same happen to me
mary tyler

Humble, TX

#3589 Jan 24, 2013
dirt cookies wrote:
at mary tyler,have you received any of the clays that you ordered? i did received the mavu that i ordered. it was ok, i did not get the earthy taste that i was looking for! have any one else, on the forum, encounter that?
Hi Dirt Cookies How are you today ? I have 3 different orders of clay I'm waiting on haven't receive any yet. Lol my mouth is watering waiting can't wait for it to arrive .I hope I don't eat a whole bag in one night .Bad as I'm craving I just might .I'm going check on the tracking again ...

Since: Oct 12

Wakefield, UK

#3590 Jan 24, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a friend who was sent a bag from uchumi, so I helped myself to a few pieces (more than a few coz she only eats them during her pees n isn't quite a fan lol) however sent someone to get me some. If it does come will most definately remember you x
Thanks dear. I will really appreciate...

Since: Oct 12

Wakefield, UK

#3591 Jan 24, 2013
Soul Sista wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always wanted to try odowa. I went online to read about it recently. I have a friend in Kenya who just loves it. It says online that it is usually eaten by the poor people which is a wrong notion. It's a crave and I'm sure if people were to come out properly they would realise that it is written by all classes of people. I would love to try it.
Sometimes the European tourists are the ones who come up with such theories and the people living in slums exaggerate it by saying that they eat it coz they are too poor to afford food. There was even a charity created for it ... I think it's called Eat Dirt or something like that. I read about it and laughed my head off coz I understood that its just a craving that they are satisfying lol ..
dirt cookies

North Miami Beach, FL

#3592 Jan 24, 2013
at mary tyler, we are so alike, i want to try all the different type of clays, that i can get my hands on too!i got my clay from mavu!it was ok! i tasted the haitian dirt cookies that was good! the next one to try is the wanda clay, and the odowa! do you know of anywhere i can get odowa?
Soul Sista

Aberdeen, UK

#3593 Jan 24, 2013
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
True its just a notion , odowa is widely eaten and even sold in the suburbs to the supermarkets This should give all a clear indication of the extent of its consumption. There are two types of odoa.... The grey one mostly sold in supermarkets n central part of Kenya, and the reddish one (the one u see on you tube) if my friend comes through with some I will most definately send you a sample.
OOOOOh thank you, thank you. Looking forward to receiving it.
Alabama Red

United States

#3595 Jan 24, 2013
Mmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,I tasted some clay from Tanazania from a elderly woman who lived in the deep in the bush it was melt in your mouth cool and smooth. She was a very wise woman and that clay was something speacial...do you want me to get some?...
I would like to try it too! I will pay you for it as well.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3596 Jan 24, 2013
dirt cookies wrote:
at mary tyler, we are so alike, i want to try all the different type of clays, that i can get my hands on too!i got my clay from mavu!it was ok! i tasted the haitian dirt cookies that was good! the next one to try is the wanda clay, and the odowa! do you know of anywhere i can get odowa?
LOL I don't know where to buy Odowa online I have google thousands of time but cant seem to find NOWHERE:(. How was the haitian dirt cookies ? I have seen all the video on you tube and they sure looks good.Did you buy the Dirt Cookies online? Hopefully Wanda Clay should show up tomorrow and the Nzu Calabar/Chalk next week I guess. I will keep you posted.
Mary Tyler

United States

#3597 Jan 25, 2013
Goodmorning clay crew I didn't know Nsu calabar/chalk comes hughmugas (LOL).Check out African Market & Store - Tampa & St.Pete on Facebook. scroll down there is 2 pictures one close up and 1 when there in a cordboard box... 1 of those Hugh stick can last a year. Have a Happy Friday Ladies .
Clayaholic

Manchester, UK

#3598 Jan 25, 2013
Mary Tyler wrote:
Goodmorning clay crew I didn't know Nsu calabar/chalk comes hughmugas (LOL).Check out African Market & Store - Tampa & St.Pete on Facebook. scroll down there is 2 pictures one close up and 1 when there in a cordboard box... 1 of those Hugh stick can last a year. Have a Happy Friday Ladies .
Those are yams not clay. But either way imagine if clay could come in that size!
Mz libra

Chesapeake, OH

#3599 Jan 25, 2013
Hi everyone!!!! Haven't posted in awhile. Reading all the post about clay.....yummy!!!! Placing my order from Wanda tomorrow. Also I'm back to eating cornstarch.
Clay Partner

Johannesburg, South Africa

#3600 Jan 25, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
Hi everyone!!!! Haven't posted in awhile. Reading all the post about clay.....yummy!!!! Placing my order from Wanda tomorrow. Also I'm back to eating cornstarch.
I am really curious, Why do you do this to yourself? What is cornstarch used for incase I thinking of something else?
Clay Partner

Johannesburg, South Africa

#3601 Jan 25, 2013
Is clay/soil eating not a form of addiction?
'Cause to me it doesn't make sense, there are things I crave but I would't search the end of the earth just to eat it. For instance I like chocolate and sometimes crave it but I am able to control myself if I don't get it. You will not find me going through the till point everyday just to get a fix. Why do you do this people, why?!
Clayaholic

Manchester, UK

#3602 Jan 25, 2013
Clay Partner wrote:
'Cause to me it doesn't make sense, there are things I crave but I would't search the end of the earth just to eat it. For instance I like chocolate and sometimes crave it but I am able to control myself if I don't get it. You will not find me going through the till point everyday just to get a fix. Why do you do this people, why?!
Coz its nice. Yummy in fact. We search the ends of the earth coz its hard to find the right one. Everyone has a preference. You see chocolate is readily available; clay isnt. Therefore it only seems like we're addicts because we have to search high and low to get it. Trust me if everyone of us could just pop into our local store and there wasn't such a stigma against eating clay, this forum wouldn't exist.
Leslie

Kennesaw, GA

#3604 Jan 25, 2013
Clay Partner wrote:
Strange you should be concerned about the practice eating of clay.

What of the habit of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs etc...

There are those who are addicted to chocolate as well :)

As I said moderation is the key. I love clay like one would like chips but just as I don't binge on Chips, I do not binge on clay.

People have certain products that they prefer whether its Ketchup or shampoo and there is no difference here in this forum.

We have certain clays that we like and some of us wish to try others.

If you know of someone with a clay eating problem then you may need to assume that its unique the them.

Oh and just because you don't understand something does not make it strange. Just chalk it up to its not for you and leave it at that.

I hate Sprite, Ginger-ale, Mountain Dew and 7 up but I do know those that love it. Some go to the ends of the earth for their favorite soda or coffee etc....... Does this make sense to you? If it does not make sense to your unique tastes and sensibilities is there a problem? People eat snails, bats, rats in certain parts of the world, maybe that's strange to you as well but I say again don't eat it. Live and let live.

All around the world, individuals have their own acquired taste. Clay eating is a centuries old practice done for a number of reasons but mostly we in this forum love the taste of clay.

As wants, needs, habits, addictions etc.... go there are many that are much more harmful to the human condition and maybe you would do well to address your concern to those issues instead. Drug addiction anyone?

We love clay and really there is nothing wrong with that. As I said before, all things in moderation.

Meee258

Dallas, TX

#3605 Jan 25, 2013
Mz libra wrote:
I miss cornstarch so much...:-(
StraightShooter

South Africa

#3606 Jan 25, 2013
Hi Clay Eaters,Pls Check out this video of Daniel Vitalis talking about the amazing benefits of eating clay:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) Sep 14 Winston 44
News Alltech highlights algae plant (Feb '11) Sep 10 Deshawn 71
News Kentucky SNAP Recipient Is Abusing the System W... Sep 10 Thunderbolt 22
News 5 easy ways to improve your health every day Sep 4 euk95 1
News Toronto schools raise less money than rest of r... Sep 4 Babs Jutt - WPG 2
News Food fight: Trump vs. Clinton Aug 29 Mullahing It Over 1
News USDA to Purchase Surplus Cheese for Food Banks ... Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 1
More from around the web