Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,787
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

#3327 Jan 5, 2013
Yeah the chunks are much bigger ..
Mary Tyler wrote:
http://tropicalfoodinc.com/ima ges/DSCN2016.jpg?osCsid=101d79 ce21567ea14c2b7a70280e655b Goodmorning @Odowa Lover look at this bag the chunks are bigger ,,,yum yum.

Colchester, UK

#3328 Jan 5, 2013
I wondered the same too when I watched the video on you tube. The natural one looks so yummy... Might even be more yummy than the processed one.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone had the Ghana type clay in its natural state, and not processed into shapes? Or other moulded clays in their natural states? I'm wondering why people process/mold them - is it not good to eat natural?(I love my clay in natural chunks)6564
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3329 Jan 5, 2013
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GHANA-CLAY-AYILO-SHIRE... $T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fD)VbBQlV(oips g~~60_57.JPG
Mucha

UK

#3330 Jan 5, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Anyone ordered clay from mavuseller recently and received their order ? I placed an order on sunday which they told me they would post on Monday but have not received it as yet.. Received no reply to my emails... Wondering what's up...
If you order on sunday theres no way you can get it on monday unless she is bringing it herself. Give it a week myt be taking time cos of holidays
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#3331 Jan 5, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Hi Alabama red, am sorry to disappoint you. I ordered from this site severally in 2012 but they ran out and have never restocked . I once sent them an email and they replied telling me they would restock but they never did ..the chewing stones shown are what Kenyans call odowa and that's where I get my name from..
<quoted text>
Ok I remembered that someone had posted the link earlier. I would love to try odowa, Ghana clay shaped like an egg and also soil cake from Tanzania. Watching the videos make them all look delicious.
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#3332 Jan 5, 2013
I'm a newbie to this site but glad I found so many who share a similar passion for clay/chalk. Well I've been eating chalk ( Indian Slate pencil for 17 years now and just starting eating clay accidentally... Embarassed to admit it was one of those facial clays called multani mitti in India but it tastes heavenly and I've even given up chalk once I got hooked to this taste. I mix the powder to make a paste and dry it up in the sun for a few hours till it dries up. Anyone who has tried this yet ? Or am I the only one.. Not sure if eating this could harm me in the long run.. I am severely anemic and just cant kick this habit
Mel

South Africa

#3333 Jan 6, 2013
Hi Indian chalkie,

There is a lot of indians from India on this site that spoke about eating the multani mitti, not sure about side effects, have not tried it but pics of it looks tempting. R u also from India?

Colchester, UK

#3334 Jan 6, 2013
I finally received my order though it was more like clay dust with a few pieces of bite sized chunks. Thanks for your reply. Now I know and am done ordering clay from them..
Mucha wrote:
<quoted text>
If you order on sunday theres no way you can get it on monday unless she is bringing it herself. Give it a week myt be taking time cos of holidays
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3335 Jan 6, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
I finally received my order though it was more like clay dust with a few pieces of bite sized chunks. Thanks for your reply. Now I know and am done ordering clay from them..
<quoted text>
Hi Odowa Lover was that the clay you order from Mavseller? I put up some website earlier were you can order Calabar chalk/ clay from African Markert online the bags of clay look good.I haven't place an order yet but I will when my funds is right.LOL
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3336 Jan 6, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi Indian chalkie,
There is a lot of indians from India on this site that spoke about eating the multani mitti, not sure about side effects, have not tried it but pics of it looks tempting. R u also from India?
I would love to be able to try it too, especially in chunk (lump) form.

I've seen websites selling it in lumps, but the ones I've seen are in India. I found one online store once that was UK or US that sold chunks but I haven't been able to find it again.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3337 Jan 6, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I remembered that someone had posted the link earlier. I would love to try odowa, Ghana clay shaped like an egg and also soil cake from Tanzania. Watching the videos make them all look delicious.
I would love to try Odowa too. I also love the look of soil cake...that big chunk that the lady is eating in the video where she says it makes her feel fresh looks so good.

Colchester, UK

#3338 Jan 6, 2013
Hi Mary Tyler , that's the one I ordered from mavu.
I saw the shop you had put up but I think it's only in Us so shipping to Uk might be costly. Luckily I have a friend coming over from kenya who will bring me some odowa... Thanks for the heads up though
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Odowa Lover was that the clay you order from Mavseller? I put up some website earlier were you can order Calabar chalk/ clay from African Markert online the bags of clay look good.I haven't place an order yet but I will when my funds is right.LOL
Alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3339 Jan 6, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to try Odowa too. I also love the look of soil cake...that big chunk that the lady is eating in the video where she says it makes her feel fresh looks so good.
What video is that ? Can you post the link ?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3340 Jan 6, 2013
Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
What video is that ? Can you post the link ?
Sure, it is this one:

Mel

South Africa

#3341 Jan 6, 2013
Hi ATC,

The soil cake that is in da video is sold in in South Africa, esp on da streets of Johannesburg. I tried it and it is very soft, creamy and earthy. Mmm wish I cud have sum right nw :) if u google mud eating in South Africa, u wil come across anoda video of people selling and eating it. Its not processed.
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#3342 Jan 6, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the soil cake looks good. I wish I could find someone selling the soil cake.
clay junkie

UK

#3343 Jan 7, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Hi Mary Tyler , that's the one I ordered from mavu.
I saw the shop you had put up but I think it's only in Us so shipping to Uk might be costly. Luckily I have a friend coming over from kenya who will bring me some odowa... Thanks for the heads up though
<quoted text>
Is your friend able to bring you an extra bag? Will send you the chapa plus ya postage.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3344 Jan 7, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi ATC,
The soil cake that is in da video is sold in in South Africa, esp on da streets of Johannesburg. I tried it and it is very soft, creamy and earthy. Mmm wish I cud have sum right nw :) if u google mud eating in South Africa, u wil come across anoda video of people selling and eating it. Its not processed.
Hi Mel, thanks. Is this the video you mean? It is one of my favourites.

It looks nice and firm and chunky, creamy and earthy. I was wondering whether it was processed or not; I didn't think it was, but I've see where some types of soil cake are processed in some way and rolled into shapes.

I have such strong cravings now for real clay. The earthy stuff that I've been eating (I call it marl but it may not be) isn't really satisfying me now. I get some enjoyment, and some pieces are earthy, but it isn't creamy and I miss that. I've even gone back to chalk sticks (just chewing), but those aren't doing it either.

I'm going to make some DE chunks, but can't wait until I go overseas in a couple of months and can find some good clay.
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#3345 Jan 7, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi Indian chalkie,
Yes I am as well and I dont get the lump form in stores anywhere, it is sold powdered but tastes just as good

Colchester, UK

#3346 Jan 8, 2013
Am sorry she is already here and only brought one bag. Next time will remember you...
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your friend able to bring you an extra bag? Will send you the chapa plus ya postage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama personal chef to hang up apron after 6 years 3 hr Deo Vindice 7
7 things to know about epilepsy Dec 23 ADVERSE EFFECTS 3
A look at what went wrong with the Nutrition No... Dec 22 hmmm 1
Fitness Icon Denise Austin Introduces New 10-We... Dec 20 DeniseAustinFan 1
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Dec 16 ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
More from around the web