Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,912
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#3332 Jan 5, 2013
I'm a newbie to this site but glad I found so many who share a similar passion for clay/chalk. Well I've been eating chalk ( Indian Slate pencil for 17 years now and just starting eating clay accidentally... Embarassed to admit it was one of those facial clays called multani mitti in India but it tastes heavenly and I've even given up chalk once I got hooked to this taste. I mix the powder to make a paste and dry it up in the sun for a few hours till it dries up. Anyone who has tried this yet ? Or am I the only one.. Not sure if eating this could harm me in the long run.. I am severely anemic and just cant kick this habit
Mel

South Africa

#3333 Jan 6, 2013
Hi Indian chalkie,

There is a lot of indians from India on this site that spoke about eating the multani mitti, not sure about side effects, have not tried it but pics of it looks tempting. R u also from India?

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

#3334 Jan 6, 2013
I finally received my order though it was more like clay dust with a few pieces of bite sized chunks. Thanks for your reply. Now I know and am done ordering clay from them..
Mucha wrote:
<quoted text>
If you order on sunday theres no way you can get it on monday unless she is bringing it herself. Give it a week myt be taking time cos of holidays
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3335 Jan 6, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
I finally received my order though it was more like clay dust with a few pieces of bite sized chunks. Thanks for your reply. Now I know and am done ordering clay from them..
<quoted text>
Hi Odowa Lover was that the clay you order from Mavseller? I put up some website earlier were you can order Calabar chalk/ clay from African Markert online the bags of clay look good.I haven't place an order yet but I will when my funds is right.LOL
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3336 Jan 6, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi Indian chalkie,
There is a lot of indians from India on this site that spoke about eating the multani mitti, not sure about side effects, have not tried it but pics of it looks tempting. R u also from India?
I would love to be able to try it too, especially in chunk (lump) form.

I've seen websites selling it in lumps, but the ones I've seen are in India. I found one online store once that was UK or US that sold chunks but I haven't been able to find it again.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3337 Jan 6, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I remembered that someone had posted the link earlier. I would love to try odowa, Ghana clay shaped like an egg and also soil cake from Tanzania. Watching the videos make them all look delicious.
I would love to try Odowa too. I also love the look of soil cake...that big chunk that the lady is eating in the video where she says it makes her feel fresh looks so good.

Colchester, UK

#3338 Jan 6, 2013
Hi Mary Tyler , that's the one I ordered from mavu.
I saw the shop you had put up but I think it's only in Us so shipping to Uk might be costly. Luckily I have a friend coming over from kenya who will bring me some odowa... Thanks for the heads up though
Mary Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Odowa Lover was that the clay you order from Mavseller? I put up some website earlier were you can order Calabar chalk/ clay from African Markert online the bags of clay look good.I haven't place an order yet but I will when my funds is right.LOL
Alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3339 Jan 6, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to try Odowa too. I also love the look of soil cake...that big chunk that the lady is eating in the video where she says it makes her feel fresh looks so good.
What video is that ? Can you post the link ?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3340 Jan 6, 2013
Alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
What video is that ? Can you post the link ?
Sure, it is this one:

Mel

South Africa

#3341 Jan 6, 2013
Hi ATC,

The soil cake that is in da video is sold in in South Africa, esp on da streets of Johannesburg. I tried it and it is very soft, creamy and earthy. Mmm wish I cud have sum right nw :) if u google mud eating in South Africa, u wil come across anoda video of people selling and eating it. Its not processed.
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#3342 Jan 6, 2013
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the soil cake looks good. I wish I could find someone selling the soil cake.
clay junkie

UK

#3343 Jan 7, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Hi Mary Tyler , that's the one I ordered from mavu.
I saw the shop you had put up but I think it's only in Us so shipping to Uk might be costly. Luckily I have a friend coming over from kenya who will bring me some odowa... Thanks for the heads up though
<quoted text>
Is your friend able to bring you an extra bag? Will send you the chapa plus ya postage.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3344 Jan 7, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi ATC,
The soil cake that is in da video is sold in in South Africa, esp on da streets of Johannesburg. I tried it and it is very soft, creamy and earthy. Mmm wish I cud have sum right nw :) if u google mud eating in South Africa, u wil come across anoda video of people selling and eating it. Its not processed.
Hi Mel, thanks. Is this the video you mean? It is one of my favourites.

It looks nice and firm and chunky, creamy and earthy. I was wondering whether it was processed or not; I didn't think it was, but I've see where some types of soil cake are processed in some way and rolled into shapes.

I have such strong cravings now for real clay. The earthy stuff that I've been eating (I call it marl but it may not be) isn't really satisfying me now. I get some enjoyment, and some pieces are earthy, but it isn't creamy and I miss that. I've even gone back to chalk sticks (just chewing), but those aren't doing it either.

I'm going to make some DE chunks, but can't wait until I go overseas in a couple of months and can find some good clay.
Indian Chalkie

Hyderabad, India

#3345 Jan 7, 2013
Mel wrote:
Hi Indian chalkie,
Yes I am as well and I dont get the lump form in stores anywhere, it is sold powdered but tastes just as good

Colchester, UK

#3346 Jan 8, 2013
Am sorry she is already here and only brought one bag. Next time will remember you...
clay junkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your friend able to bring you an extra bag? Will send you the chapa plus ya postage.
Clayaholic

UK

#3347 Jan 8, 2013
Has anyone tried roasting Mavu's clay?? It is the best flavour ever!!!! Especially when you keep it in the oven for like and hour and a bit. Sooo yummy! Anyone else like it baked??
Concerned clay eater

Wigan, UK

#3348 Jan 8, 2013
Hey Guys!,
I actually had a dream last night about eating clay hahaha! I dreamt I went into an African store and i wasn't even there to buy clay, then I just heard the lady ask one of the assistants if she has put the clay on the shelves yet! Lol. Then right before me the assistant started bringing out all types of varieties of clay, odowa, nzu, ghana clay, mavu clay etc and stocking them! I can't recall past that ! I don't know if I bought them or tasted them.....
Mel

South Africa

#3349 Jan 8, 2013
Hi concerned clay eater,

These past few days I have been also dreaming of clay, lol, its like heaven, lol, surrounded by clay mmm, as I eat it in my dream can actually get da taste, craving it so badly
Mucha

UK

#3350 Jan 8, 2013
Clayaholic wrote:
Has anyone tried roasting Mavu's clay?? It is the best flavour ever!!!! Especially when you keep it in the oven for like and hour and a bit. Sooo yummy! Anyone else like it baked??
Thtats the clay i eat. I prefer it to all the types ive tried. Just got a bag from zim. How do i bake it?
mary

Webster, TX

#3351 Jan 8, 2013
Mucha wrote:
<quoted text>
Thtats the clay i eat. I prefer it to all the types ive tried. Just got a bag from zim. How do i bake it?
Mucha Get a baking pan and bake for 30 - 45 minutes 300%degrees in oven .Keep a close eye on it ,yum yum good. I've been out of clay for about 2 weeks so craving is high. It's pouring rain here so construction site are close.The clay hunt will be on hold because of the wetness .I'll to wait until it dries out and bake in the hot sun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Top 5 Bogus Public Health Scares (Aug '13) Feb 23 karik 12
Soda tax? Dietary guidelines panel advises maki... Feb 20 lolol 4
Nestl USA to remove artificial flavors a... Feb 17 Pete 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Guest che... Feb 16 Lexi Pro 2
Brushton meat shop owner charged with misuse of... Feb 15 truth 22
Republicans Eye Changes to Food-Stamp Program Feb 15 barefoot2626 68
Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton to help fat people (Mar '07) Feb 13 DeployUrMind 11
More from around the web