Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9224 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

mary tyler

United States

#3313 Jan 4, 2013
concerned earth lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary from my experience ghana clay is different from nzu. Nzu is Nigerian and I have tried one that is dark grey/green it is crunchy and looks almost like smooth slabs of soft cement. It is not processed but comes like that from Africa, then there is another nzu that is light grey and moulded into little balls it is very salty and I couldn't eat that. The salt is so overpowering but some people say it is earthy but not for me. The ghana type is again grey clay which is softened with water and moulded into egg shape.. You can watch the you tube video of it being made. I found it crumbly and quite earthy. But with all the clays regardless of origin they are addictive.
Concerned Earth Lover Thank You ,so the Ghana clay seems to be safer since the Nzu has a banned on it saying it contains Lead.
mary tyler

United States

#3314 Jan 4, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Hi Alabama red, am sorry to disappoint you. I ordered from this site severally in 2012 but they ran out and have never restocked . I once sent them an email and they replied telling me they would restock but they never did ..the chewing stones shown are what Kenyans call odowa and that's where I get my name from..
<quoted text>
Have you ever ordered with Global food Pittsburgh.com/product .The Calabar Chalk 1lb for 6.99 minimum purchase is 2 bags. Shipping fee is outrageous..Let me know what you think about this clay Please.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3315 Jan 4, 2013
Mary Tyler
I have ordered from MuttanndJeff many times and they have been around since 1976 their clay is pretty good. It is kaolin and I think that if the clay was unsafe I think the government would put a ban on it too. They are always running out of clay. They sell it in bulk. I think when they have it available people tend to buy a lot at one time plus it is the most reasonable priced clay. A lot of people on this enjoy their clay. I know I do.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3316 Jan 4, 2013
I also noticed the difference between their and other companies is that their clay does not seem processed. Their clay leaves a great amount of white chalky residue on my hand while other companies seemed process in that all that good earthy flavor is washed out and this is one of the reasons I love clay. That earthy taste.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3317 Jan 4, 2013
Hey Alexx that is what happens when your iron is at a good level the interest in clay diminishes. The craving are not that high.
mary

United States

#3318 Jan 4, 2013
Hi Ackee Thanks for the info Have u orderd from Mav or Soul Sita ,If so how was three clay?
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3319 Jan 4, 2013
Hi Mary I have not order from either of them. I think they are in the UK. I live in the US and I do not think they send to the states. I think Adaku has tried both of their clay. She mentioned in one of her post that Mavu and Soulsista is good but I am not sure which is her favorite. I think both clay's are different and I think it all depends on your taste buds and what you like. I have always wanted to try Mavu,s It looks really good but I do not think she ships to the US.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#3320 Jan 4, 2013
I mary I try to access the link to that clay you mentioned but it went to another site. nothing about clay.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3321 Jan 4, 2013
Calabar Chalk 1lb - Global Food Market
www.globalfoodpittsburgh.com/product.php...
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3322 Jan 4, 2013
http://www.globalfoodpittsburgh.com/img/p/548...
This site should take you a picture of the clay sure looks good.I wonder is this the salted or nonsalt?

Since: Oct 12

Poole, UK

#3323 Jan 5, 2013
Hi Mary Tyler I live in the uk so not tried any of the US companies ...I agree with you that the Pittsburgh clay does look yummy and earthy
mary tyler wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever ordered with Global food Pittsburgh.com/product .The Calabar Chalk 1lb for 6.99 minimum purchase is 2 bags. Shipping fee is outrageous..Let me know what you think about this clay Please.
crzzzd

Ellwood City, PA

#3324 Jan 5, 2013
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3325 Jan 5, 2013
http://tropicalfoodinc.com/images/DSCN2016.jp... Goodmorning @Odowa Lover look at this bag the chunks are bigger ,,,yum yum.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3326 Jan 5, 2013
concerned earth lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary from my experience ghana clay is different from nzu. Nzu is Nigerian and I have tried one that is dark grey/green it is crunchy and looks almost like smooth slabs of soft cement. It is not processed but comes like that from Africa, then there is another nzu that is light grey and moulded into little balls it is very salty and I couldn't eat that. The salt is so overpowering but some people say it is earthy but not for me. The ghana type is again grey clay which is softened with water and moulded into egg shape. You can watch the you tube video of it being made. I found it crumbly and quite earthy. But with all the clays regardless of origin they are addictive.
Has anyone had the Ghana type clay in its natural state, and not processed into shapes? Or other moulded clays in their natural states? I'm wondering why people process/mold them - is it not good to eat natural?(I love my clay in natural chunks)6564

Poole, UK

#3327 Jan 5, 2013
Yeah the chunks are much bigger ..
Mary Tyler wrote:
http://tropicalfoodinc.com/ima ges/DSCN2016.jpg?osCsid=101d79 ce21567ea14c2b7a70280e655b Goodmorning @Odowa Lover look at this bag the chunks are bigger ,,,yum yum.

Poole, UK

#3328 Jan 5, 2013
I wondered the same too when I watched the video on you tube. The natural one looks so yummy... Might even be more yummy than the processed one.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone had the Ghana type clay in its natural state, and not processed into shapes? Or other moulded clays in their natural states? I'm wondering why people process/mold them - is it not good to eat natural?(I love my clay in natural chunks)6564
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3329 Jan 5, 2013
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GHANA-CLAY-AYILO-SHIRE... $T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fD)VbBQlV(oips g~~60_57.JPG
Mucha

UK

#3330 Jan 5, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Anyone ordered clay from mavuseller recently and received their order ? I placed an order on sunday which they told me they would post on Monday but have not received it as yet.. Received no reply to my emails... Wondering what's up...
If you order on sunday theres no way you can get it on monday unless she is bringing it herself. Give it a week myt be taking time cos of holidays
Alabama Red

Tucker, GA

#3331 Jan 5, 2013
odowa lover wrote:
Hi Alabama red, am sorry to disappoint you. I ordered from this site severally in 2012 but they ran out and have never restocked . I once sent them an email and they replied telling me they would restock but they never did ..the chewing stones shown are what Kenyans call odowa and that's where I get my name from..
<quoted text>
Ok I remembered that someone had posted the link earlier. I would love to try odowa, Ghana clay shaped like an egg and also soil cake from Tanzania. Watching the videos make them all look delicious.
Indian Chalkie

Delhi, India

#3332 Jan 5, 2013
I'm a newbie to this site but glad I found so many who share a similar passion for clay/chalk. Well I've been eating chalk ( Indian Slate pencil for 17 years now and just starting eating clay accidentally... Embarassed to admit it was one of those facial clays called multani mitti in India but it tastes heavenly and I've even given up chalk once I got hooked to this taste. I mix the powder to make a paste and dry it up in the sun for a few hours till it dries up. Anyone who has tried this yet ? Or am I the only one.. Not sure if eating this could harm me in the long run.. I am severely anemic and just cant kick this habit

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Puppy Pals Ranch Announces a Special 'Long Term... (May '08) 12 hr St Francis 11
News Federal subsidy failing to keep northern food h... Sun yet 1
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... (Mar '15) Dec 1 TipsyFromCentralC... 11
News Gene mutation appears to increase risk of Parki... Nov 28 Stephany McDowell 1
News British Medical Journal piece says evidence doe... Nov 26 VitaminD 1
News Pig behaviour, human nutrition experts take sta... Nov 17 scared yet 1
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) Nov 13 CoolGuy 46
More from around the web