Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mz libra

Ardsley, NY

#3207 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
Just thinking about the powder that's left over from chunks of clay and similar things.
Do most people like this powder as much as the chunks? I don't, get nowhere near the satisfaction that I get from the chunks.
Why is that I wonder? It's exactly the same thing, so why do so many of us like chunks so much? Is it something about the chewing? Or that it seems more natural when it's in chunks?
Any thoughts anybody?
For me it depends...with the clay aka white dirt I like the crunch but when it starts to become creamy and pasty gosh it's like smooth chocolate....then there are times I love the crunch like chalk just crunch crunch crunch....guess it depends on which way my cravings flow.....weird but true
mahi

Delhi, India

#3208 Dec 23, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi Mahi,
Would like to try it but not sure wat u r talking about, I lyk eating da block ashes, have u tried it, I buy it from da spice shops here in south africa, do dey sell it in India
hey mel
what is block ash?!!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3209 Dec 23, 2012
I have a craving for something that isn't clay but has some similarities to clay type stuff. I have never mentioned it before, nor do I think anyone else here has mentioned having that particular craving (although I do recall someone mentioning once that someone they knew craved it).

I would like to talk about it, and need help with it, but I don't want to give anyone ideas just in case they hadn't thought about it and get hooked. I don't eat it, but chew it - and there is no doubt that too much of it would cause serious health problems.

What do you all think? Do you think it's ok to mention? Again, I don't want to give anyone ideas but I'm curious whether anyone else has or has had this particular craving and any other comments about it.

Thanks
Mz libra

Ardsley, NY

#3210 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
I have a craving for something that isn't clay but has some similarities to clay type stuff. I have never mentioned it before, nor do I think anyone else here has mentioned having that particular craving (although I do recall someone mentioning once that someone they knew craved it).
I would like to talk about it, and need help with it, but I don't want to give anyone ideas just in case they hadn't thought about it and get hooked. I don't eat it, but chew it - and there is no doubt that too much of it would cause serious health problems.
What do you all think? Do you think it's ok to mention? Again, I don't want to give anyone ideas but I'm curious whether anyone else has or has had this particular craving and any other comments about it.
Thanks
What is it?
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3211 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
Thanks
it may actually help some1 ...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3212 Dec 23, 2012
It's baking soda.

I don't swallow it, just chew and rinse out my mouth but I go through about a one pound box (806 servings it says)a week and since it is full of sodium some must get absorbed.

Does anyone else have this craving? Would anyone have any idea how much may get absorbed even though I spit it out?

Please, if you haven't tried it please don't. It has got to be very dangerous because of the sodium.

I wish I could get rid of this craving or get it under better control like I have with cornstarch.
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3213 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
It's baking soda.
I don't swallow it, just chew and rinse out my mouth but I go through about a one pound box (806 servings it says)a week and since it is full of sodium some must get absorbed.
Does anyone else have this craving? Would anyone have any idea how much may get absorbed even though I spit it out?
Please, if you haven't tried it please don't. It has got to be very dangerous because of the sodium.
I wish I could get rid of this craving or get it under better control like I have with cornstarch.
ATC......well I agree it is quite dangerous,in my desperation to find clay many years ago,I searched and found a certain kind of greyish red stone which was so crumbly and earthy to my sense of smell,when I put it in my mouth,it burnt the whole of my mouth and I couldn't go to the hospital as there was no explanation that wouldn't give my much hidden guilty pleasure away,some of us have indulged in not very safe materials Becos of our craves but you need to find the strength to say no.with other safer substitutes like cornstarch,red clay white clay etc,you can indulge and still feel safe with the act.im glad you don't swallow it that way you are still safe,I knw how strong these craves are and I have been hooked on and off ...you are in my prayers.cheers dearie.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3214 Dec 23, 2012
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>ATC......well I agree it is quite dangerous,in my desperation to find clay many years ago,I searched and found a certain kind of greyish red stone which was so crumbly and earthy to my sense of smell,when I put it in my mouth,it burnt the whole of my mouth and I couldn't go to the hospital as there was no explanation that wouldn't give my much hidden guilty pleasure away,some of us have indulged in not very safe materials Becos of our craves but you need to find the strength to say no.with other safer substitutes like cornstarch,red clay white clay etc,you can indulge and still feel safe with the act.im glad you don't swallow it that way you are still safe,I knw how strong these craves are and I have been hooked on and off ...you are in my prayers.cheers dearie.
Thanks Adaku.

I'm sorry to hear about your mouth. That's one of the problems for those of us who don't have regular access to good clay - we're tempted to try other things but we have to be so careful to make sure it's safe. I'm always so nervous of trying anything new, which is why I take just small nibbles and don't swallow until I know it is ok.

I've been tempted before by things I knew would do me no good so left them alone and don't even think about them now. But with the baking soda the habit is so established I can't seem to stop permanently. I have been having headaches lately and wonder whether it is high blood pressure caused by the soda.

It would be great if it wasn't for the sodium content but because of the sodium it is NOT a good clay substitute even though it looks like it could be.

As I said before I debated posting about this, but I agree talking about it could help somebody who may find themselves tempted. Based on my experience my advice is it is best not to start on baking soda or anything else that you know couldn't be good for you because you won't miss what you never had but you could get hooked if you start.

During times that I've had good proper clay my cravings for other things were reduced. Hope I can find some soon.
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3215 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Adaku.
I'm sorry to hear about your mouth. That's one of the problems for those of us who don't have regular access to good clay - we're tempted to try other things but we have to be so careful to make sure it's safe. I'm always so nervous of trying anything new, which is why I take just small nibbles and don't swallow until I know it is ok.
I've been tempted before by things I knew would do me no good so left them alone and don't even think about them now. But with the baking soda the habit is so established I can't seem to stop permanently. I have been having headaches lately and wonder whether it is high blood pressure caused by the soda.
It would be great if it wasn't for the sodium content but because of the sodium it is NOT a good clay substitute even though it looks like it could be.
As I said before I debated posting about this, but I agree talking about it could help somebody who may find themselves tempted. Based on my experience my advice is it is best not to start on baking soda or anything else that you know couldn't be good for you because you won't miss what you never had but you could get hooked if you start.
During times that I've had good proper clay my cravings for other things were reduced. Hope I can find some soon.
i know what you mean,since I went off my iron tabs my craves are quite stronger now,unfortunately all my suppliers have stopped selling or run out,I can't seem to lay my hands on any substitute at all,not even a construction site!all I have been tinkin of for days is just a chunk of clay but can't find any.yes when I have the clay that i really like,I crave nothing else.....I would thought that it will be so much easier for you to buy clay off market centred,here in the uk,the govt seem to have banned the sale if clay and vendors are not about to risk bringing it in as the fines attached to breaking this law I hear is enormous.i totally understand how you feel,but don't give up the struggle to stop.one good day,you will find a reason to give it up.one reason I keep wanting to quit is,my body never understands moderation,once I set my eyes on clay be it 10kg,I will be near finishing it before the day ends.im okay when on iron tabs when I am not.........I eat eat eat
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3216 Dec 23, 2012
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i know what you mean,since I went off my iron tabs my craves are quite stronger now,unfortunately all my suppliers have stopped selling or run out,I can't seem to lay my hands on any substitute at all,not even a construction site!all I have been tinkin of for days is just a chunk of clay but can't find any.yes when I have the clay that i really like,I crave nothing else.....I would thought that it will be so much easier for you to buy clay off market centred,here in the uk,the govt seem to have banned the sale if clay and vendors are not about to risk bringing it in as the fines attached to breaking this law I hear is enormous.i totally understand how you feel,but don't give up the struggle to stop.one good day,you will find a reason to give it up.one reason I keep wanting to quit is,my body never understands moderation,once I set my eyes on clay be it 10kg,I will be near finishing it before the day ends.im okay when on iron tabs when I am not.........I eat eat eat
Hi Adaku, I feel for you. I know that feeling for sure.

You mention buying from market but here we do not sell clay like that (unfortunately). It is not something that is done - the only clay sold is in the health store and not chunks just bentonite powder or liquid. And of course clay sold for making things (haven't found one yet that I can eat, those I've tried were disgusting). I have tried to find clay myself, but haven't found pure clay yet. Luckily I have found some earthy stuff but I don't eat just chew.

I do not know of anybody else here that craves clay or other 'strange' things. I do not believe that I could be the only one, but if there are others they keep a good secret too. Very lonely feeling, I feel so happy to have you ladies here (this site is becoming an addiction for me too, lol).
alexx

Stone Mountain, GA

#3217 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
Just thinking about the powder that's left over from chunks of clay and similar things.
Do most people like this powder as much as the chunks? I don't, get nowhere near the satisfaction that I get from the chunks.
Why is that I wonder? It's exactly the same thing, so why do so many of us like chunks so much? Is it something about the chewing? Or that it seems more natural when it's in chunks?
Any thoughts anybody?
I made a post similar to that . yeah the powder is similar to the chunks , but the chunks has that crunch & some of us like that crunch . while w/ the powder it'll just melt in your mouth . the only time I eat the powder if its at the bottom of the bag after I ate all the chunks . even though its powder , don't let the good clay go to waste .
alexx

Stone Mountain, GA

#3218 Dec 23, 2012
All things clay wrote:
It's baking soda.
omg I'm glad you said that . while I was craving for clay I was looking for a substitute . & while y'all said y'all eat cornstarch I would've thought the maybe baking soda could be be similar . well I could never get my hands on baking soda cause we don't have none at my house along w/ cornstarch . so I never tried it . but luckily you said that baking soda is bad for you & that I shouldn't get hooked on it .

“Life is a delicate negotiation”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#3219 Dec 23, 2012
the craving to eat clay is kind of the same as the craving to sniff gasoline for me. Loved the smell ever since I smelled it from my neighbor's backyard when he was mowing his lawn.
royal

Hyderabad, India

#3220 Dec 23, 2012
mahi wrote:
<quoted text>
hey mel
what is block ash?!!
it is koyla
miss clayer

UK

#3221 Dec 23, 2012
Hi ladies :) have my bag of clay chunks and really enjoying its earthiness! Savouring the taste and going easy. Unable to break up the huge chunks because everyones at home so have to bite off small pieces.@ ATC I hope you get some proper clay soon, its unfortunate that its so difficult to source in your country, my supplier is always in stock and if not,let's me know the exact date that he will be getting some.@ Adaku, your posts always keep me going,love reading them! To the other ladies, stay strong and eat in moderation,we all know the consequences of over indulgence!
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3222 Dec 24, 2012
miss clayer wrote:
Hi ladies :) have my bag of clay chunks and really enjoying its earthiness! Savouring the taste and going easy. Unable to break up the huge chunks because everyones at home so have to bite off small pieces.@ ATC I hope you get some proper clay soon, its unfortunate that its so difficult to source in your country, my supplier is always in stock and if not,let's me know the exact date that he will be getting some.@ Adaku, your posts always ikeep me going,love reading them! To the other ladies, stay strong and eat in moderation,we all know the consequences of over indulgence!
awww miss clatter,don't I envy you now,easy access to clay!i draw my strength from you ladies,it's therapeutic for me to know that I am not crazy and can come hear and talk without being judged.i connect with every ones crave because I have crave clay and eaten till I tot I would go crazy from clay overdose!even my supplier then at some point became reluctant to supply me as she will go to market and divide the portions saying that som1 else also ordered,only for her to say that I can come back and pick it up in2weeks if the person she got it for does come and these imaginary customers never come back however it makes me hold off for at least 2weeks before I start eating it again.i knw without doubt that my system doesn't feel great but can't explain further.ATC.....you will be fine,just look deeper and soon you will find that balance that will help control the crave,I am not there yet still indulge lol but will someday,I know it.to the ladies who have access,enjoy .but just be in charge of the crave if you can.
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3223 Dec 24, 2012
@miss clayer sorry but typing your name wrongly.
alexx

Stone Mountain, GA

#3224 Dec 24, 2012
RINisuzuGrrl wrote:
the craving to eat clay is kind of the same as the craving to sniff gasoline for me. Loved the smell ever since I smelled it from my neighbor's backyard when he was mowing his lawn.
I love the smell of gasoline . I always ask my mom can I pump her gas just to stand out there & smell it .
mary tyler

Canyon Lake, TX

#3225 Dec 24, 2012
Goodmorning Everyone I got my clay all baked and in small bags ready for me to sneek and eat. We have family from out of town so I had to prepare early my stash ...lol So when my craving get high I can eat a piece ....nobody wouldn't know. It's a shame I have to hide the clay in my own house. But you know they wouldn't understand plus ask thousands of question... Lol Wishing everyone on form Merry Christmas ..enjoy you'll clay I sure will ...
adaku

Forres, UK

#3226 Dec 24, 2012
mary tyler wrote:
Goodmorning Everyone I got my clay all baked and in small bags ready for me to sneek and eat. We have family from out of town so I had to prepare early my stash ...lol So when my craving get high I can eat a piece ....nobody wouldn't know. It's a shame I have to hide the clay in my own house. But you know they wouldn't understand plus ask thousands of question... Lol Wishing everyone on form Merry Christmas ..enjoy you'll clay I sure will ...
where did you get from?what a treat.do have a beautiful xmas and a prosperous new year!enjoy your stash honey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Etobicoke parents advocate for school nutrition... Jan 12 No surpriz bought... 1
News Trump tells farmers he supports crop insurance Jan 9 inbred Genius 3
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Dec '17 Lisa 7
News How to Be A Better Medicare Patient Dec '17 Expensive 1
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov '17 old hippy 2
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Nov '17 SSWOI 14
News BOE reminding parents of outside food policy Nov '17 Parent 2
More from around the web