Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8975 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ackee

Bronx, NY

#3125 Dec 18, 2012
Carribean Clay Lover
It would appear you have done your research and found that their is abundance of clay on the Island.Now you can go an dig your own. Just make sure you dry it out and bake it a little.
Clayaholic

UK

#3126 Dec 19, 2012
Do any of u ladies crave ice when u can't get your hands on any clay?? I've read that ice and clay eating is common among anemics like myself which is the place that I am at the moment. Don't have an ice tray so just put two bags of water in the freezer!
Mel

South Africa

#3127 Dec 19, 2012
Hi Clayaholic,

I also lyk eating ice, everytym I hav sum cold drink I add extra ice and fill da glass up wid it, and afta drinking all da cooldrink I start eating 1 by 1 ice, I have no idea why I just love eating it. I also lyk eating raw rice,
mahi

New Delhi, India

#3128 Dec 19, 2012
Hey hey INDIANS......have you ever those pebbles(kankar)found in pulses,rice,etc.They are mixed with pulses in order increase its weight in simple words they are used adulterate it.....If haven't tried yet....then i must say u should give it a try....they are so yummmm...salty....i love them....!!!n second best thing i have tried and like the most is fullers earth(multani mitti)......!!!
Mel

South Africa

#3129 Dec 19, 2012
Hi Mahi,

Would like to try it but not sure wat u r talking about, I lyk eating da block ashes, have u tried it, I buy it from da spice shops here in south africa, do dey sell it in India
alexx

Hampton, GA

#3130 Dec 19, 2012
Clayaholic wrote:
Do any of u ladies crave ice when u can't get your hands on any clay?? I've read that ice and clay eating is common among anemics like myself which is the place that I am at the moment. Don't have an ice tray so just put two bags of water in the freezer!
for me personally , ice doesn't help w/ the earthy cravings . but I do like to suck on them since I can't chew . I used to chew ice all the time but then something happen & everything I chew ice I get the chill sent to my gums & my teeth gets sensitive . so now I just suck on it . my ice maker sucks . for some reason it taste like some frozen meat was open in the freezer & contaminated the ice & now the ice taste awful . the only ice I eat are restaurant ice . I love crushed ice .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3131 Dec 19, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
So the clay hunt continues to get warmer. Turns out we have a lot of it here... "Clays (80% of which are naturally coloured red) are available to produce commercial quantities of ceramics and building components. The existing reserves are 250 Mt including disordered kaolinite (near white to buff firing), red firing illite to montmorillonite and light firing clays. Most of the islandís gypsum is in the Bull Bay area of eastern St. Andrew and western St. Thomas."
Am told there is even a large deposit of it where I'm from originally in Portland. I shall have my supply very soon.
For some reason my impressions r that red and brown clays are earthier than the lighter colored ones (correct me if am wrong pls guys. The grey, yellow and white ones seem to be creamier. Would it have to do with iron content of the clay? I love bentonite when its wet then really dried out till it curls like chips. So creamy. I wonder why it causes pain tho. I will try it again if my other clay options fall thru.
Caribbean Clay Lover I'm so happy for you! Please let us know when you get the clay, and how it turns out. With so much there I'm guessing there must be some types that you like.

I know what you mean about the 'hunt'. I got excited myself yesterday - found a new spot where construction is going on and saw what I hope is red clay. Only had a quick look, was driving by, but about a foot into where the ground was cut and underneath the off-white coloured rock were at least two distinct thick bands of red material (at least two different shades of red). It is on public land and there didn't seem to be any barriers up, and it is also in an area that looks nice and clean so I'm going to go there and see if I can help myself to a sample. Could have gone there last night, but didn't. It probably sounds silly, but I'm almost afraid to go because I'll be disappointed if it isn't anything good...it's almost like the thought of it being there is better than if it turns out to not be good clay!

Even if this clay isn't good I'll keep looking. I read someone's thesis (more in my next post) where he includes the sentence "Clays have no geographic boundaries. Where there is soil, there usually exists clay." So clay seems to be widely available, just need to access it.

Oh CCL I also get the impression that red and darker clays are earthier - would be great to hear opinions.(I have a taste for bentonite too, and it doesn't cause me any problems that I know of.)
mahi

New Delhi, India

#3132 Dec 19, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi Mahi,
Would like to try it but not sure wat u r talking about, I lyk eating da block ashes, have u tried it, I buy it from da spice shops here in south africa, do dey sell it in India
no i think so....!!
mahi

New Delhi, India

#3133 Dec 19, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi Mahi,
i guess they don't sell it in india...
mary tyler

San Antonio, TX

#3134 Dec 19, 2012
@ All thing clay I did go clay hunting last night on public site ..and the clay was gray as I like but wasn't the right clay.:) It's taste Awful almost like it was mix with cement .I bake it but still Bad taste....Had to dump it out. Waiting on someone clay to arrive soon so I just can place an order...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3135 Dec 19, 2012
mary tyler wrote:
@ All thing clay I did go clay hunting last night on public site ..and the clay was gray as I like but wasn't the right clay.:) It's taste Awful almost like it was mix with cement .I bake it but still Bad taste....Had to dump it out. Waiting on someone clay to arrive soon so I just can place an order...
Yes, we have to be careful what we consume - and even if something looks good it may not be the right stuff.

When trying something new I always have just a little taste at a time then spit it out and basically test if for a couple of days to make sure it's safe.

I can understand your hope that it would improve as sometimes that does happen. I remember once I tried some new clay and I didn't like it at first but then after trying it again I liked it and ended up loving it. Sure wish I had some of that clay right now.

Sometimes though it isn't ever going to taste right and you have to give up. I remember buying some clay once that was a moist grey clay sold commercially for making things. I was so excited by it, it looked good but tasted disgusting. I let it sit out in the open, dried it, baked it (don't think I tried the paper bag though, didn't know about it at the time lol!) and it still tasted bad. So disappointing when that happens.
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3136 Dec 19, 2012
Hi Mz Libra. I would wet it and spread it out on a flat glass like thin cookies and let it really air dry. I like mine thin so they curl when they are dry. Taste awesome to me when they hit that spot on the tongue, goodness!
Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> I have some bentonite clay powder but I don't know what to do with it. Do you have any suggestions? How do you eat your bentonite clay?
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3137 Dec 19, 2012
Ackee, apparently we have a red clay "gold mine" here. I will get some soon. Really cant wait. Am I the only one who just get a great release from stress when eating clay?
ackee wrote:
Carribean Clay Lover
It would appear you have done your research and found that their is abundance of clay on the Island.Now you can go an dig your own. Just make sure you dry it out and bake it a little.
mary tyler

San Antonio, TX

#3138 Dec 19, 2012
No Caribbean your not when I eat clay my body seems to release stress. Lol I'm much more less stress . I haven't had any clay in 2 weeks I'm about to tear the roof off.( just a figure of speech ).Lol
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3139 Dec 19, 2012
Thank you ATC, i'll be careful. Amazing how we have this craving and the solution is right under our feet. Red clay is all over my yard way down below. I heard we gave away tons of it to make pottery some years ago. The color almost looks like what the pregnant woman in Tanzania is eating. Now that source is covered. The bentonite was the Aztec healing clay for facial. You ever tried that one? Its not recommended for internal use but to me it makes awesome chips. Could be just that jar of it. others may be different. Pain was terrible tho so really have to be careful. I read somewhere that that could be the clay is doing its thing to get rid of toxins and such reactions will go away after a time. Not sure about that but who knows.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Caribbean Clay Lover I'm so happy for you! Please let us know when you get the clay, and how it turns out. With so much there I'm guessing there must be some types that you like.
I know what you mean about the 'hunt'. I got excited myself yesterday - found a new spot where construction is going on and saw what I hope is red clay. Only had a quick look, was driving by, but about a foot into where the ground was cut and underneath the off-white coloured rock were at least two distinct thick bands of red material (at least two different shades of red). It is on public land and there didn't seem to be any barriers up, and it is also in an area that looks nice and clean so I'm going to go there and see if I can help myself to a sample. Could have gone there last night, but didn't. It probably sounds silly, but I'm almost afraid to go because I'll be disappointed if it isn't anything good...it's almost like the thought of it being there is better than if it turns out to not be good clay!
Even if this clay isn't good I'll keep looking. I read someone's thesis (more in my next post) where he includes the sentence "Clays have no geographic boundaries. Where there is soil, there usually exists clay." So clay seems to be widely available, just need to access it.
Oh CCL I also get the impression that red and darker clays are earthier - would be great to hear opinions.(I have a taste for bentonite too, and it doesn't cause me any problems that I know of.)
mary tyler

San Antonio, TX

#3140 Dec 19, 2012
Adaku can you email me Soul Sita email address @ Mice5031@AOL.com I wanna check to see if she has clay left. Thanks
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3141 Dec 19, 2012
Mary the only explanation I have for this is the human body needs earth. Soil has something that we need. Funny its starts that way in childhood. I rem craving that at a really early age (maybe 1). I ate a whole jar of petroleum jelly for hair. No need to tell you what happen to my diapers haha. I also tried drinking kerosene oil at 3 yrs. They had to pump it from my stomach at the hospital. The craving is always there, even when takin supplements. My stress goes to zero when I eat it. Eating clay and loving it is all I can say, just in moderation. Believe me I understand the roof issue ;)
mary tyler wrote:
No Caribbean your not when I eat clay my body seems to release stress. Lol I'm much more less stress . I haven't had any clay in 2 weeks I'm about to tear the roof off.( just a figure of speech ).Lol
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#3143 Dec 19, 2012
ackee,all things clay,carribean clay lover,mary and all the ladies in the house,how are we getting on?these posts are making me really want to have red clay right now!help..........
alexx

Hampton, GA

#3144 Dec 19, 2012
mary tyler wrote:
I feel that I relieve stress . when I chew on 3 or 4 pieces of clay & I chew & I chew & I feel more relaxed w/ every chew & the crunch I hear . if that makes any sense .
mobu consumer

South Africa

#3145 Dec 19, 2012
Hello beautiful clay eaters!!! A couple of posts back somebody said we should try eating uncooked food to help us reduce the cravings! I tried it, and it worked for me... Its difficult eating uncooked food, felt like I was on a health diet, but it works. I wasn't over consuming the clay but now I'm I hardly crave. By uncooked food I mean food that is edible even when uncooked. E.g carrots, lettuce, beet root(but u boil it) cucumber etc. I came home 2day, I want to see if my mouth will water @ the white clay or will I just walk on like I was doing lately in pta.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. Gives $7 Bil in Food Benefits to "Ineligib... Fri ronnie 15
News School Leaders Fire Back Against Claims Of Unhe... (May '10) May 20 Superintendant of... 19
News The Mosaic Company Named No. 40 on 100 Best Cor... May 19 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Republicans Eye Changes to Food-Stamp Program May 13 Go Blue Forever 65
News High-protein diets may backfire in the long run May 12 brickboo 1
News Female and losing your hair? Don't worry h- her... May 10 bengiekrome 2
News El Pasoans asked to fill brown paper bags with ... May 8 L Morales 1
More from around the web