Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8981 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#3104 Dec 17, 2012
Mary Tyler wrote:
Mz. Libra I just left off M&J website they are soldout off all clay.
dang ... why does it seem like they only have 1 bulk package & it takes them forever to get some more ? they should sell white dirt individually since they run out so fast . at least more than one person can buy some clay .
alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#3105 Dec 17, 2012
Clay Consumer wrote:
Hello ladies,
I was wondering do you ladies actually chew and SWALLOW the clay or just chew & spit it out?
hey , I actually spit out the white dirt . 2 years of digging red clay from the ground but having to spit it out because of the little rocks or whatever else could be in it I kinda got into the habit . now w/ the white dirt I'm not used to it yet . I understand you can swallow it but I just don't feel right swallowing it , & me consuming it . plus I eat big chunks because I like how the earthy flavor over powers everything & how quick my salvia gets dried up from the clay . another thing I picked up on when I was digging & eating my own red clay . I just love the dry feeling in my mouth . maybe it's me personally . but I haven't gotten use to swallowing white dirt yet so I chew , spit & rinse my mouth out . especially now since we're talking about how this might interfere fertilization & I'm young I would love to have a family on my own so I'm not taking no chances . but I do try sneaking & eating really small pieces & try to swallow that , sometimes it's hard but if I'm in public I have no choice but to swallow . lol ! what do you do ? spit out the clay or swallow it ?
Mucha

UK

#3106 Dec 17, 2012
Mary Tyler wrote:
I was reading a earlier post from adaku and she said Mavu Selle or Anoda lady clay is from Ghana .That the clay I would like to try .What Mavu Seller website ?
Mavu seller clay is from Zimbabwe its really good. I thnk she is out of stock tho
Mz libra

New York, NY

#3107 Dec 17, 2012
Well I guess I will order from Sam's.... Thanks for the update
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3108 Dec 17, 2012
Yes she is I cant wait until her clay arrive I really want to taste the Ghana clay its look Delicious.
Clayaholic

UK

#3109 Dec 17, 2012
Mary Tyler wrote:
Yes she is I cant wait until her clay arrive I really want to taste the Ghana clay its look Delicious.
She sells Zimbabwean clay and I think she said she might be getting some Kenyan clay. I don't think she's ever mentioned Ghana clay recently so I'm not too sure where u got that from but I personally can't wait till she's back in stock. I'm going to make a large order so the next time she's out ill have a supply still. My cravings are crazy right now!!
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#3110 Dec 17, 2012
Mary Tyler wrote:
the lady who sells Ghana clay is soul sisters ,I got a supply last Wednesday and she said something abt almost running out of stock.i think she still has some left.her email is somewhere on one of my posts.
Clayaholic

UK

#3111 Dec 17, 2012
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>the lady who sells Ghana clay is soul sisters ,I got a supply last Wednesday and she said something abt almost running out of stock.i think she still has some left.her email is somewhere on one of my posts.
Hi can u please compare and describe the Ghana clay to mavu's one. I'm thinking of getting the Ghana clay whilst I'm waiting for mavu to restock.

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

#3112 Dec 18, 2012
Clayaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi can u please compare and describe the Ghana clay to mavu's one. I'm thinking of getting the Ghana clay whilst I'm waiting for mavu to restock.
The two clays are really different. In my opinion , mavu seller clay was reddish and very earthy.. The Ghanaian clay is grey and rolled into egg shapes . I don't find it very earthy but I usually put it in the oven to improve the taste. It's also a bit gritty so am always spitting out small particles .i watched a clip I you tube about how it's prepared from the digging etc and wished they could sell some of it in the original state without any processing .. I think it would be yummy.... Mavu seller should stock up soon .. I have also been a keen water if Kenyan roasted clay but mavu sellers clay beats it hands down . It's so so earthy ...,
alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#3114 Dec 18, 2012
has anyone ever tried baking white dirt ? I want to know what it taste like if you bake it . any ideas on how to bake clay ? the temperature to put it on & how long to leave it in there to bake ...
miss clayer

UK

#3115 Dec 18, 2012
I tried baking my clay once but when I took it out it tasted yuck! It wasn't smooth and creamy at all! And I had put in like 10 pieces and I dumped all of them..
Adaku

Bracknell, UK

#3116 Dec 18, 2012
The Nigerian type if clay will remain my no 1 preference however the mavus and Ghana clay are good substitutes.i will suggest you try both because I may not be able to tell you which is better as since I can't find any nzu,I am okay to eat whatever clay
Mz libra

New York, NY

#3117 Dec 18, 2012
alexx wrote:
has anyone ever tried baking white dirt ? I want to know what it taste like if you bake it . any ideas on how to bake clay ? the temperature to put it on & how long to leave it in there to bake ...
I did once and it taste ok. I want to try and put some white dirt in water make into a paste and spread it out on a baking sheet and let it air dry/bake...make into like squares....
Iheartclay

UK

#3118 Dec 18, 2012
I agree with odowa lover. I think the two clays are completely different. I hands down would go for mavu's clay only because for me it's all about the earthy taste and I like baking it so it gets crumblier. As for the Ghana one it is a good substitute but not if you are looking for the earthy taste and also this one tastes better baked too but the spitting out of the grit annoys me a whole lot.
A clay eater

Aberdeen, UK

#3119 Dec 18, 2012
I really enjoy the Ghana clay, no doubt because I am Ghanaian. I love the taste. However I have tried mavu clay baked and unbaked. In my opinion the unbaked is better. I personally find Nzu too salty and can only have it in small quantities.

Anyway who am I kidding, I love it all!!!! Lol
Soul Sista

Aberdeen, UK

#3120 Dec 18, 2012
Nina wrote:
I am 8 months pregnant and craving kalaba all the time. I eat so much of it that my stool is white like clay. I can barely have a bowel movement. Is this pretty bab?
Nina, I think if you are pregnant you need to eat clay in moderation, especially if it is making your stool white. You will be constipated and that will make you strain very hard when you have a bowel movement. You also need to drink loads, I mean loads of water. Please go easy on the clay. Try eating some choclate - it does not get rid of the craving, but it helps.
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3121 Dec 18, 2012
So the clay hunt continues to get warmer. Turns out we have a lot of it here... "Clays (80% of which are naturally coloured red) are available to produce commercial quantities of ceramics and building components. The existing reserves are 250 Mt including disordered kaolinite (near white to buff firing), red firing illite to montmorillonite and light firing clays. Most of the islandís gypsum is in the Bull Bay area of eastern St. Andrew and western St. Thomas."

Am told there is even a large deposit of it where I'm from originally in Portland. I shall have my supply very soon.

For some reason my impressions r that red and brown clays are earthier than the lighter colored ones (correct me if am wrong pls guys. The grey, yellow and white ones seem to be creamier. Would it have to do with iron content of the clay? I love bentonite when its wet then really dried out till it curls like chips. So creamy. I wonder why it causes pain tho. I will try it again if my other clay options fall thru.
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#3122 Dec 18, 2012
Marl is an okay substitute but stay away from cement stones guys its after effect is awful.
Mz libra

New York, NY

#3123 Dec 18, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
So the clay hunt continues to get warmer. Turns out we have a lot of it here... "Clays (80% of which are naturally coloured red) are available to produce commercial quantities of ceramics and building components. The existing reserves are 250 Mt including disordered kaolinite (near white to buff firing), red firing illite to montmorillonite and light firing clays. Most of the islandís gypsum is in the Bull Bay area of eastern St. Andrew and western St. Thomas."
Am told there is even a large deposit of it where I'm from originally in Portland. I shall have my supply very soon.
For some reason my impressions r that red and brown clays are earthier than the lighter colored ones (correct me if am wrong pls guys. The grey, yellow and white ones seem to be creamier. Would it have to do with iron content of the clay? I love bentonite when its wet then really dried out till it curls like chips. So creamy. I wonder why it causes pain tho. I will try it again if my other clay options fall thru.
I have some bentonite clay powder but I don't know what to do with it. Do you have any suggestions? How do you eat your bentonite clay?
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3124 Dec 18, 2012
Hi Soul Sista I would like to get your email address? I wanted to order some Ghana Clay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Paul schools putting free meals on wheels 15 hr PB in Saint Paul 1
News Classes at Farmington senior center impart heal... May 30 foodie 1
News U.S. Gives $7 Bil in Food Benefits to "Ineligib... May 22 ronnie 15
News School Leaders Fire Back Against Claims Of Unhe... (May '10) May 20 Superintendant of... 19
News The Mosaic Company Named No. 40 on 100 Best Cor... May 19 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Republicans Eye Changes to Food-Stamp Program May 13 Go Blue Forever 65
News High-protein diets may backfire in the long run May 12 brickboo 1
More from around the web