Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
2,981 - 3,000 of 8,031 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Mz. libra
Video is awesome wish I was there I would be in clay heaven.
Mz libra

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Mary Tyler wrote:
Mz. libra
Video is awesome wish I was there I would be in clay heaven.
I know exactly what u mean. I would be sitting there with my water and just eating clay until my heart was content. I found other videos under clay mining. I wish I could dig into the earth surface and get the best clay/dirt I could find. Has anyone tried eating tailor chalk? If so I wonder what it taste like.
mobu consumer

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

@ Mz libra, thank u for that video! Clay heaven indeed! Anywhooo I posted the R3000th post ;)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> I know exactly what u mean. I would be sitting there with my water and just eating clay until my heart was content. I found other videos under clay mining. I wish I could dig into the earth surface and get the best clay/dirt I could find. Has anyone tried eating tailor chalk? If so I wonder what it taste like.
I too would love to just go digging in the right place and find the best clay/dirt.

I haven't tried tailor chalk, but would love to. It looks good, and I've read about people who have tried it. Tried to find it here in my country but couldn't find any.

Have a look at this red 'dirt':
iheartclay

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

mobu consumer wrote:
@ Mz libra, thank u for that video! Clay heaven indeed! Anywhooo I posted the R3000th post ;)
You didn't. You posted the 3065th post.
mobu consumer

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Really? By P.C and phone says 3000th, oh well I guess its missing the first 65 posts then...
dirt lady

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

down home georgia dirt is the best.
dirt lady

Homestead, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

ive had home grown dirt.Its really good but you dont get your money worth they need to be ashame of themselves .its three pieces in every bag.
April

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Hey,
does anyone know where to buy roasted edible clay from? do they sell it online?
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Does anyone know when the Ghana roasted clay will be ready to order? A post earlier said it should be ready by Christmas.
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

dirt lady wrote:
ive had home grown dirt.Its really good but you dont get your money worth they need to be ashame of themselves .its three pieces in every bag.
like 3 bite size pieces or 3 small chunks ?
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

I finally understand the different taste you ladies like . some say they like the "sour" taste that the white dirt has & to some I think it might be how it taste like processed to me . others say they like how it taste earthy & the only way to get an earthy flavor is to let it dry out or put it in the paper bag . I personally like the dried out / brown paper beag taste . I believe that's the earthy taste that everybody likes . I like it because it taste like the earth . & to be able to smell the earth after it rains & being able to taste it is like heaven . I also usually just chew the clay but I decided to bring like small bite size chunks w/ me to school . they were really small . & chewing them like how I usually would , would have just ended the earthy flavor I would be craving at the moment . so I would move it around my mouth & let melt on my tongue . that was a good experience for me . the earthy flavor I was craving lasted a while on my taste buds . but I can't bring anymore white dirt to school . I get paranoid that the white dust will be all over my mouth or some of it will be stuck to my gums .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

The forim has been so quiet lately!

Here's another interesting article about white dirt eaten in Vietnam:

http://timeout.vir.com.vn/Client/TimeOut/inde...
Alexx

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Why is everybody so quiet on the forum ? I want to read some interesting posts .
Mz libra

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

All things clay wrote:
The forim has been so quiet lately!
Here's another interesting article about white dirt eaten in Vietnam:
http://timeout.vir.com.vn/Client/TimeOut/inde...
very interesting article. I don't know if I could wait for the process. I wonder how it taste straight from the ground, without shipping in plastic bags or putting in brown paper bags. Right there eating from about 6-7 inches deep into the earth. I got busy last week and didn't get a chance to order my white dirt. Hopefully I will have time this week. I was thinking about cornstarch and chalk too.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> very interesting article. I don't know if I could wait for the process. I wonder how it taste straight from the ground, without shipping in plastic bags or putting in brown paper bags. Right there eating from about 6-7 inches deep into the earth. I got busy last week and didn't get a chance to order my white dirt. Hopefully I will have time this week. I was thinking about cornstarch and chalk too.
I know. I would love to be able to eat it fresh like that too. I've had something similar recently that I've mentioned before, freshly dug and it was so good. I plan to go back soon to try to get some more. It isn't pure clay, but chalky/other earthy material and is gritty but so good and so earthy.

One of these days I'm going to dig a hole in my backyard and keep digging and digging until I strike something good so that I can have a permanent supply lol!

It's been so quiet here. I know it's a busy time of year, but would be nice to see some more posts :)
mahi

Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

If a person eats clay heavily.....how much chances are there of getting any stone in kidney or bladder......help....!!!!
Mel

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Hi Mahi,

I dnt tink kidney stones is caused by eating clay, my cuz who is only 22, she had gall stones and had to go through a operation and dey recently found out she got kidney stones and she is not even a clay eater, I wonder wat causes these stones in da body?
Mz libra

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. I would love to be able to eat it fresh like that too. I've had something similar recently that I've mentioned before, freshly dug and it was so good. I plan to go back soon to try to get some more. It isn't pure clay, but chalky/other earthy material and is gritty but so good and so earthy.
One of these days I'm going to dig a hole in my backyard and keep digging and digging until I strike something good so that I can have a permanent supply lol!
It's been so quiet here. I know it's a busy time of year, but would be nice to see some more posts :)
What was it that u ate? I'm starting to look at red dirt like that video u posted. To have easy access to white dirt/red dirt I would really enjoy.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> What was it that u ate? I'm starting to look at red dirt like that video u posted. To have easy access to white dirt/red dirt I would really enjoy.
To be honest I don't know what exactly it was, but the best description I can come up with is 'marl'- a word I learned on this forum from I think it was Caribbean Clay Lover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marl

http://www.ehow.com/about_5112903_marl.html

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/P/19982942/clay-m...

It is sort of clay like but is grainy not smooth like proper clay I've had. It may be a type limestone, but it is softer and earthier than the other stuff I was given that was described to me as raw limestone. To look at it you would think it is hard rock, but it is actually crumbly and very earthy.

I have tried various different earthy materials before to try to find the perfect thing to eat, but this type was really good and satisfying. I was scared to try it at first, so took very small bits to check it out. That's one problem people like me have, where we are not from a culture that eats clay/dirt so we don't grow up knowing good and safe places to get it from. But now that I know this spot is good I'm going to try to get some more.

This is another picture of marl. It isn't like what I had, but doesn't it look good? The red looks so earthy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1200312

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••