Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 20 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mel

South Africa

#3021 Dec 9, 2012
Hi scared one,

I am indian and I also crave clay, my aunt and cuz also craves things that are earthy. My aunt recently went into hospital for a check up cos she was getting chest pains and da doctors told her that the pains were caused cos her iron is very low, so that's maybe the reason u been getting chest pains. The doc prescribed her someiron tabs and she ok nw. I also know that because our iron is low we crave clay.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#3022 Dec 9, 2012
scared-one wrote:
Hi Aduka seem we posted the same time :) good insight thou , i understand that you are married? from what i observe you've been talking of a mother inlaw in your posts and i know this is kind of personal and really you don't have to answer it if you don't want to but i was wondering, do u have kids or problems with fertility? or anyone you personnaly know who is affected by fertility and there is a connection with clay or fibroids?
i thought we could come up with a pattern or statistics about all these connections, anaemia, fibroids, fertility, to help us understand this better, so it seems pretty much the three may be related, we just dont know how
i must have said sister in law,she has fibroid ,and hasn't gotten any child yet.we got on together Becos she loved eating clay so I sort if had an accomplice.when she started her fertility treatments we were shocked to find out that after every round of monitored cycle,the minute she as much as eats one chunk if clay she starts to spot and that cycle had to be discontinued and another fresh cycle started.my mum had these craves and I remembered how bad it was then,luckily she was nearing menopause and immediately after menopause she dint crave and the mass shrunk,with her the issue of infertility wasn't an issue as she had a handful of kids lol.lately I realised that I needed to see the gynae,I spoke ant the crave and she told me that they are doing a research as all her Px with fibroid were blacks and had a history of craving clay up until admission for surgery.so dear somewhere in my head I know there is a relationship....I just want to do my surgery and see how I fare.i honestly want to quit and I am great wen on iron tabs but when I am not the crave is terrible...
scared-one

Morocco

#3023 Dec 9, 2012
Concerned clay eater wrote:
Fertility issues are symtoms of fibroids, so I don't think it's a separate issue I believe it's all related.
Most fibroids are benign and don't show any symptoms so you may not even know you have it. I believe when the crave gets really really bad is when women finally find out about the fibroids. I believe that Is what happened in adaku's case.@scaredone give more info, how did you start? Do you have any other type of cravings, like ice etc is fibroids genetic in your family in any way.?
My periods are also regular but I still have the cravings and believe its related.
@concerned clay eater my cravings wer triggered when i was like 15 , it just happened, back home in Gambia it was pretty much everywhere, sold at the markets, street vendors, its pretty much like a snack especially for pregnant women, so i will start craving it especially when it rains and i would use my school lunch money to buy the pact :)( it was very cheap ), so i find myself craving it more and more, its like the more i eat the more i crave, some times i get off it for the while like when i first came to morocco because i couldn't find it and i thought well, i wudnt crave it now if i dont see it but then after a while it came back stronger, i was desperate and had to ask a senegalsese business woman who jus happend to be selling it, now am consuming it more than ever
And for the fibroids i know i dnt have it cuz i've been to hospital and did some tests, am trying as much to find out why i have the cravings
scared-one

Morocco

#3024 Dec 9, 2012
no one has fibroids in my family and no i only crave clay, i eat the white and red one
scared-one

Morocco

#3025 Dec 9, 2012
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i must have said sister in law,she has fibroid ,and hasn't gotten any child yet.we got on together Becos she loved eating clay so I sort if had an accomplice.when she started her fertility treatments we were shocked to find out that after every round of monitored cycle,the minute she as much as eats one chunk if clay she starts to spot and that cycle had to be discontinued and another fresh cycle started.my mum had these craves and I remembered how bad it was then,luckily she was nearing menopause and immediately after menopause she dint crave and the mass shrunk,with her the issue of infertility wasn't an issue as she had a handful of kids lol.lately I realised that I needed to see the gynae,I spoke ant the crave and she told me that they are doing a research as all her Px with fibroid were blacks and had a history of craving clay up until admission for surgery.so dear somewhere in my head I know there is a relationship....I just want to do my surgery and see how I fare.i honestly want to quit and I am great wen on iron tabs but when I am not the crave is terrible...
Adaku i see, then we can say in her case its related but somehow others dont have the problem like you said about your mum hmmm interesting and complicated at the same time i guess .... but somehow it seems those who started eating clay before having children encounter fertility problems when they want to have a child later than those who already have one or more children before starting to comsume it, they go ahead and have more children easily it seems.
by the way thanks to getting back with that question, appreciate it and praying and keeps fingers cross for sister in law :)
scared-one

Morocco

#3026 Dec 9, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi scared one,
I am indian and I also crave clay, my aunt and cuz also craves things that are earthy. My aunt recently went into hospital for a check up cos she was getting chest pains and da doctors told her that the pains were caused cos her iron is very low, so that's maybe the reason u been getting chest pains. The doc prescribed her someiron tabs and she ok nw. I also know that because our iron is low we crave clay.
Oh OK, i see, thank u for the info, hope mine stops soon then, i might try the iron and see
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3027 Dec 9, 2012
I too am black, have fibroids and at times am very anaemic. I first had cravings when I was pregnant (at a time that I don't think I had fibroids) but they were not that bad - nowhere like now. The cravings came back in a big way around the same time that I started getting symptoms of fibroids.

Like many black women fibroids tend to run in the family. I don't know of any of my relatives who have or had fibroids having cravings though - although I suppose it is possible that they conceal/ed the cravings like I generally conceal mine!

I think that the cravings are mainly due to mineral deficiencies (in my case iron) and/or an instinctive need to find substances to heal or regularize the body in some way. I find that in times of stress I crave more and think that eating clay and stuff can also be habit forming - like a drug lol!
alexx

Lithonia, GA

#3028 Dec 9, 2012
I did not know mostly African American eats clay . now I honestly think we don't have a problem eating clay because we know our ancestors did it . wow . I thought mostly Caucasian ate clay . I am too African American if I never mentioned it .
Mz libra

Bronx, NY

#3029 Dec 9, 2012
I'm ordering my white dirt this week...I can't wait! Trying to decide if I should order from SAM's , mutt & Jeff or down home Georgia. I'm going to eat some and let some dry out on a high self. This time I'm going to put it in a brown bag... I still have some powdered bentonite clay. Any suggestions on what to do with that? I take iron pills and vitamins however, I enjoy eating white dirt, cornstarch, chalk and baby powder.
Mucha

UK

#3030 Dec 9, 2012
A clay eater wrote:
Has anyone bought Odowa from Wahu foods? See the link below
http://www.wahufoods.com/products/Odowa -(Chewing-stones).html
Thank you for this link will try and order some tomoro.
mary

United States

#3031 Dec 9, 2012
I'm also an African American female and really enjoy eating gray clay .I have been eating clay for years I've always loved the taste of fresh dirt and a summer rain.Then when I moved to Texas I discover clay .I orderd a load of 60/40 sand and clay mix .I started spreading sand and discovered the clay mixed in. I tasted it and been hooked in clay since.I crave and ate it during my pregnancy. I stop for months but always start back.Im out now I will order from Mutt& Jeff for the 1st time when the clay chunks comes in. I have no problem with Fertility problems or Fibroids . Please keep me posted when the clay arrives .Thanks
Chalk lover

Walsall, UK

#3032 Dec 9, 2012
Hi all,
No I don't have fibroids. I have two children.
My mom doesn't have fibroids, she eats clay, she has 5 children. Mom and I are not meat and dairy eaters
My nan had fibroids - they were removed. She never ate clay. She was a meat and dairy eater
Interesting about the possible link between that and clay eating.
I personally don't believe there is a significant link and that clay eating directly causes fibroids.
I do however agree with the detailed scientific research about eating certain foods and the many aliments that we humans suffer with. The book called 'The China Study' is a great resource. Many people notice a considerable difference in health when they switch to a sunfired foods diet.(raw fruit and veg with nuts and grains). I know that I have mentioned this before but every time I go raw for a period of time I really do not crave clay. It's only when I go back to the 'normal' cooked food diet with processed foods included - that is when the cravings reoccur.
Check out the effects of dairy - especially milk as well as meat and sugar. Youtube is a great resource too - especially when well known doctors who have carried out vast amounts of research are speaking on there...
In moderation clay is fine - I enjoy the taste too.
God bless you all.
mary

United States

#3033 Dec 9, 2012
Also I have had a blood transfusion due to very very low iron, I think my iron is very low again because my craving are high now..I eat clay everyday when I have some...but I'm trying to stop again until I get a blood count . I went to Walmart to day and purchase me some iron tablets.
concerned earth lover

UK

#3034 Dec 9, 2012
I am black African. I have a ten year history of fibriod which have been removed but keep growing back. My mother never had fibriod but ate a lot of clay while pregnant with me. I have been off clay by God's grace for about six months and I have stopped chewing Crayola chalk for 2 months. My big addiction was the ghana clay and the mental challenge not to stop at the African store can be very tough. I have always loved the smell of earth and remember licking sand as young as age 8.
But a lot of my friends who are different races admit to liking the smell of rain and earth but have no interest in eating chunks of clay.
Nothing wrong with having a nibble of clay once in a long while but being on this forum from the start has made me confirm my theory that this is a primarily a psychological issue triggered by different things including anemia which is a byproduct of fibriod. But what about the people with no health issues how do you explain that?
The two ladies on TLC tv show were both white and no mention of health problems but one ate rocks and the other ate garden dirt. The clips are on youtube. THEY BOTH CRAVED THE SMELL OF EARTHY soil.

Majority of us come back to this forum more than once a day to read about other peoples description of clay, how they eat it, how it feels and and we get almost as much satisfaction in reading this forum as we do eating clay. This is an obsessive compulsive behaviour. If you read a forum about eating ice, metal, glass you will see the pattern is the same were the members have a craving but also love watching videos and find it soothing to describe their pica treats. I am grateful because this forum is like therapy for me. However it is not normal behaviour to keep writing and reading anonymously about something that is on my mind all the time. Like drug addiction. It can only be addressed when I admit not just to my virtual clay family but to my real world and seek to control the urge instead of the urge controlling me and my mood, stress levels and even happiness.

Sorry for going off on a tangent and God bless
Mz libra

Bronx, NY

#3035 Dec 9, 2012
Has anyone ever tried baby powder? I've been thinking about clay dirt chalk powder cornstarch all day. I have a little cornstarch left...to have them all at once.....what a dream
mobu consumer

South Africa

#3036 Dec 9, 2012
I am a black african, when I was young my mother ate clay and once in a while I would take a small piece and eat it, was not yet addicted to it... When she stopped my cousin fell pregnant and started eating clay and again once in a while I would throw a piece in my mouth...a coupla years later my mom fell pregnant with my little brother she went back to eating clay so now I was around two people who ate clay so I'd throw a couple of more pieces in my mouth, a year after my brother was born my mom stopped eating, but by then I think I was hooked my cuz and I would eat A LOT of clay. My mother never had any iron problems or fibroids or anything. However every time I went to the doc I would get iron pills and I tend to get excessive heavy flow. Iv never tested for fibroids...
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#3037 Dec 9, 2012
concerned earth lover wrote:
I am black African. I have a ten year history of fibriod which have been removed but keep growing back. My mother never had fibriod but ate a lot of clay while pregnant with me. I have been off clay by God's grace for about six months and I have stopped chewing Crayola chalk for 2 months. My big addiction was the ghana clay and the mental challenge not to stop at the African store can be very tough. I have always loved the smell of earth and remember licking sand as young as age 8.
But a lot of my friends who are different races admit to liking the smell of rain and earth but have no interest in eating chunks of clay.
Nothing wrong with having a nibble of clay once in a long while but jbeing on this forum from the start has made me confirm my theory that this is a primarily a psychological issue triggered by different things including anemia which is a byproduct of fibriod. But what about the people with no health issues how do you explain that?
The two ladies on TLC tv show were both white and no mention of health problems but one ate rocks and the other ate garden dirt. The clips are on youtube. THEY BOTH CRAVED THE SMELL OF EARTHY soil.
Majority of us come back to this forum more than once a day to read about other peoples description of clay, how they eat it, how it feels and and we get almost as much satisfaction in reading this forum as we do eating clay. This is an obsessive compulsive behaviour. If you read a forum about eating ice, metal, glass you will see the pattern is the same were the members have a craving but also love watching videos and find it soothing to describe their pica treats. I am grateful because this forum is like therapy for me. However it is not normal behaviour to keep writing and reading anonymously about something that is on my mind all the time. Like drug addiction. It can only be addressed when I admit not just to my virtual clay family but to my real world and seek to control the urge instead of the urge controlling me and my mood, stress levels and even happiness.
Sorry for going off on a tangent and God bless
hey CEL,I guess you and I are on the same page.when you are surrounded with lots of people who crave this item compulsively it makes you want to call yourself to order,it's okay when one decides to indulge a little ,what I did not l did not like was the length I would go just to have clay.i have had to travel under heavy heavy rai just to buy less than 10pounds worth.back in Nigeria the ladies who were into it,would get so angry when their favorite dealers run out.while some ladies crave and do not have other issues,I have seen too many living examples of women who bleed nearly everyday and yet consume this stuff as if it is running out of fashion.at the saloon where I made my hair a week ago,I met a lady who according to her had to do myomectomy twice and in her bag was the Ghana clay which she was munching on very happily.i told her I liked it too and she gave me a history That shocked me.for those who do not have issues with clay and are healthy and strong,that is great,I cant say same for myself and I know quitting /getting hold of that compulsion to eat clay desperately will do me more good than harm,cheers ladies
miss clayer

UK

#3038 Dec 9, 2012
Craving clay right now..but I am not going to get any! Trying to stay strong :) has anyone tried the robercolour chalk? Its earthy in taste and super creamy but the store that I had once gotten it from,doesn't stock it anymore :(
Chalk lover

Walsall, UK

#3039 Dec 9, 2012
miss clayer wrote:
Craving clay right now..but I am not going to get any! Trying to stay strong :) has anyone tried the robercolour chalk? Its earthy in taste and super creamy but the store that I had once gotten it from,doesn't stock it anymore :(
Hi miss clayer, are those chalks heavy like the crayola chalks? If so I do have some in a pack of 100. I'm not keen on them. I liked light, soft chalks. Email me if interested - disham68@yahoo.co.uk
clayer

South Africa

#3041 Dec 10, 2012
hi ladied, i guess we all have the same problems.when my mum was preg with me she used to eat a lot of clay, she told me she would eat almost 2kg in a day. imagine that- i ate the clay while i was in the womb. after giving birth she stoped. i grew up seing people eating clay. my mum told me that when i started crawling i was a problem because i sucked walls and picked dirt outside, so they never took their eyes off me. i dont remember eating eat till around 12 year of age when my mum was preg with my young brother. she would beg me to go get some clay for her, i used to go dig it up and eat at the same time. i also like Mobu got hooked and my mum stoped eating after giving birth. i have never stopped eating clay from then and it was increasing. i would do anything to get clay, come rain or what i would make sure i got it. i'm a Christian and sometimes i feel guilty and have prayed about it but the cravings are strong. i was looking at some vids were T.B Joshua was casting out the clay eating Spirit and i dont know what to say about it. Cause i personaly think this is some deff which we need to find an ans too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Schools Caught Serving 'Foul,' 6-Year... 8 hr DILF 12
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... Sat Jenny 7
News Wisconsin Republicans Look To Keep Shellfish, S... May 1 Tazo 1
News Dietitian's online chat takes in weight loss, c... (Mar '11) May 1 farah 70
News States to test ways to send food stamp recipien... Apr 30 Tazo 16
News The First Superfood Apr 25 PuriumKathy 1
News 1,200 Kids Die From Malaria A Day. Low-Cost Pre... Apr 25 paul 1
More from around the web