Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9206 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Clayxxxx

UK

#3002 Dec 8, 2012
prooops wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live in South Africa why does your posts keep coming up as the UK?.....
Ths forum doesnt state e place yu at. Mine says usa bt am in the uk

“MYOB”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#3003 Dec 8, 2012
It certainly helps to prevent diarrhoea.
Mz libra

Springfield, NJ

#3004 Dec 8, 2012
It's been awhile since I've posted about cornstarch...I stayed clean 6 weeks and then I had to have a box. I mixed it with water and put the box on a high shelf with the top open...went back about 4 days later and it had the most wonderful dry and crunchy taste. The box is almost gone. Maybe I won't buy any for awhile I don't know. The lady that talked about the white dirt from Mutt and Jeff, I wonder how it taste. I order from sam's (he sells granny's own)....it's kinda crazy because I like the sour taste and then I like it when ilet it air dry in the paper bag for a couple of days. If I could have cornstarch with some pieces of white dirt in it and let it air dry for about a week.....I bet it would taste delicious... I also want to try those soil cakes I saw on a YouTube video.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3005 Dec 8, 2012
Mz libra I just posted earlier saying how I've gone off cornstarch...but your post made my mouth water.

I can't believe it, lol! It is so dry, squeaky, it's good, but I've only had a few spoonfuls and I know I can control it.
mary

United States

#3006 Dec 8, 2012
Hello Clay family How can you upload a picture to show of clay?
Mz libra

Springfield, NJ

#3007 Dec 8, 2012
All things clay wrote:
Mz libra I just posted earlier saying how I've gone off cornstarch...but your post made my mouth water.
I can't believe it, lol! It is so dry, squeaky, it's good, but I've only had a few spoonfuls and I know I can control it.
hey ATC! I know I thought after 6 weeks I could just be done but I tell u what it's way better than before. My cravings are under control too...going that long for me was great!
mobu consumer

South Africa

#3008 Dec 8, 2012
@ Mel, just go buy it and pretend its for ur face lol... And where did u usually get it from if ur afraid of buying it now?@ All things clay, the pictures that u put up as DE kind of make me wonder if maybe I haven't had DE in chunks and thought it was clay... But then again some body said you cannot consume DE as much as u consume clay or else you will have severe constipation, so I'm guessing it wasn't DE because I ate lots of those chunks and did not suffer severe constipation lol... Thanks 4 the pics by the way
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3009 Dec 8, 2012
mobu consumer wrote:
@ Mel, just go buy it and pretend its for ur face lol... And where did u usually get it from if ur afraid of buying it now?@ All things clay, the pictures that u put up as DE kind of make me wonder if maybe I haven't had DE in chunks and thought it was clay... But then again some body said you cannot consume DE as much as u consume clay or else you will have severe constipation, so I'm guessing it wasn't DE because I ate lots of those chunks and did not suffer severe constipation lol... Thanks 4 the pics by the way
I wondered this myself when I saw the pictures/videos, wondering if some people were actually eating DE. Thought I'd try to find something, and found this:

http://books.google.com/books...
mobu consumer

Olifantsfontein, South Africa

#3010 Dec 8, 2012
Interesting... so just like clay pregnant women like it
Mel

South Africa

#3011 Dec 8, 2012
Hi Mobu Consumer,

I actually used to get my domestic worker to buy it for me, and nw she is not around, I haven't eaten it for bout 4 months nw, hopefully wil get sum soon
mobu consumer

South Africa

#3012 Dec 9, 2012
@ Mel... Wow! How do u cope? Hw much clay do u eat per day? And don't u have indian friends that also eat it? That way you all could go to the market together and get the clay, it wouldn't b weird for you...
Chalk lover

Walsall, UK

#3013 Dec 9, 2012
Mucha wrote:
@chalklover did you buy any clay from mavuseller? Whch clay do yu have in stock?
<quoted text>
Hi Mucha, I have bought from mavuseller - all eaten, will buy again when she has more stock. I only have powdered clay left for sale. Powdered kaolin, bentonite, DE, calcium carbonate. All my chunk clays have sold out. Was supposed to get some white dirt but something has gone wrong with shipping. Hopefully will have some white dirt for sale soon. Will keep all posted.

God bless
Concerned clay eater

Ilford, UK

#3014 Dec 9, 2012
I have been a spectator on this site for a long time. And I have serious concerns about why we eat clay. Some people say it causes infertility or fibroids . But from my observations it's women with fibroids that crave clay. Fibroids mimick pregnancy, and mostly women of African desent areprone to fibroids, also it's mostly Black women that crave clay. Both in Africa and the u.s
@ adaku and other clay eaters. Pls answer, are you African American? do you have fibroids? is it genetic? For those who have had it removed, did the cravings stop? Most importantly, do you find cravings reduce when you eat healthier food,eg more veggies.

Pls can everyone share their thoughts and observations, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.

FYI, i am a clay eater, so was my mum, she had fibroids and stopped craving clay after it was removed.
Adaku

Forres, UK

#3015 Dec 9, 2012
Concerned clay eater wrote:
I have been a spectator on this site for a long time. And I have serious concerns about why we eat clay. Some people say it causes infertility or fibroids . But from my observations it's women with fibroids that crave clay. Fibroids mimick pregnancy, and mostly women of African desent areprone to fibroids, also it's mostly Black women that crave clay. Both in Africa and the u.s
@ adaku and other clay eaters. Pls answer, are you African American? do you have fibroids? is it genetic? For those who have had it removed, did the cravings stop? Most importantly, do you find cravings reduce when you eat healthier food,eg more veggies.
Pls can everyone share their thoughts and observations, we may be able to get to the bottom of this.
FYI, i am a clay eater, so was my mum, she had fibroids and stopped craving clay after it was removed.
hi cce,I am African and I kinda agree with you,the onset of infertility and possibly fibroids seem to bring about the crave,this assumption is made based on what I have experienced ,what I have seen my mum and other women who are terribly addicted go thru.my mum found respite as she entered menopause,as the fibroid shrunk.i have asked myself a dozen questions abt how the clay crave relates to infertility,while I can explain its relationship with anaemia I can't say same for infertility.i am due for surgery in a few months,maybe then I can tell the difference.in recent times since igot off my iron tabs I have been craving clay.
scared-one

Morocco

#3016 Dec 9, 2012
Concerned clay eater wrote:
And maybe we can also look into why does of us without fibriods crave it as well? am an African too by the way, from west Africa but studying in Morocco and none of my family members have the cravings, they don't even know am going through this, i don't have problems with my periods, no heavy bleedings or any of the sort, my menses are always normal, no cramps, i wasn't anaemic either when the cravings started, only only happends when i eat too much of clay .. so with all these factors not responsible, i just can't help what triggers mine
Doesn't stop me still though i can eat about 1kg in one or two days, am just recently having lung and chest pains ( afraid this can be dust accumilating in my chest) and sinus but am still a chayholic and hoping i'll get off it :)
scared-one

Morocco

#3017 Dec 9, 2012
Hi Aduka seem we posted the same time :) good insight thou , i understand that you are married? from what i observe you've been talking of a mother inlaw in your posts and i know this is kind of personal and really you don't have to answer it if you don't want to but i was wondering, do u have kids or problems with fertility? or anyone you personnaly know who is affected by fertility and there is a connection with clay or fibroids?

i thought we could come up with a pattern or statistics about all these connections, anaemia, fibroids, fertility, to help us understand this better, so it seems pretty much the three may be related, we just dont know how
Concerned clay eater

Ilford, UK

#3018 Dec 9, 2012
Fertility issues are symtoms of fibroids, so I don't think it's a separate issue I believe it's all related.
Most fibroids are benign and don't show any symptoms so you may not even know you have it. I believe when the crave gets really really bad is when women finally find out about the fibroids. I believe that Is what happened in adaku's case.@scaredone give more info, how did you start? Do you have any other type of cravings, like ice etc is fibroids genetic in your family in any way.?
My periods are also regular but I still have the cravings and believe its related.
A clay eater

Alfreton, UK

#3019 Dec 9, 2012
Has anyone bought Odowa from Wahu foods? See the link below

http://www.wahufoods.com/products/Odowa -(Chewing-stones).html
Concerned clay eater

Ilford, UK

#3020 Dec 9, 2012
Pls lets be very honest and free about this here, this is the only place where we all understand each other and can talk freely
Mel

South Africa

#3021 Dec 9, 2012
Hi scared one,

I am indian and I also crave clay, my aunt and cuz also craves things that are earthy. My aunt recently went into hospital for a check up cos she was getting chest pains and da doctors told her that the pains were caused cos her iron is very low, so that's maybe the reason u been getting chest pains. The doc prescribed her someiron tabs and she ok nw. I also know that because our iron is low we crave clay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maine's governor defies Feds, says no to junk f... Jun 23 longtail 1
News 10 Veggies To Get Your Nutrients In Jun 20 Marta 1
News Paul Ryan starts unveiling plan for 'better GOP' Jun 15 Tee Party DOA 44
News We should never have told people to start takin... Jun 14 Candy Generation 1
News Free meals program underway in Vacaville Jun 13 Free for All 1
News Area schools to provide free meals during summe... Jun 9 Work 9
News Obese woman met her fiance in the gym and now t... Jun 5 syfsupps 3
More from around the web