Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 8975 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Leslie

Acworth, GA

#2981 Dec 7, 2012
Kenyan clay lover wrote:
Its amazing to read all this posts,i used to feel weird eating clay n so i eat it in private,am a mother of 3 the youngest is 4 years,ave been eating clay since i was pregnant with him,ave tried to stop many times but its so hard,i keep going back to it.my worry is that i feel bloated n get constipated after eating it.i also wish more research would be done for the sake of all women who cant help this cravings,i believe there's more to this cravings than a bad habit as people call it.
Hi Kenyan Clay Lover

To help constapation and the bloated feeling I drink lots of water all day long and I also use the tasteless fiber in my water which helps keep the clay moving through my system. Give that a try it might help and its not harsh like ingesting a laxtive daily which could be dangerous. Just a thought.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2982 Dec 7, 2012
Hello to everyone. I hope all is well. I am just here thinking if I should eat a little clay. My brother found out that my sister and I eat clay. He actual did not make a big deal out of it. After I explained it to him he was understanding. So now when i eat it at home I do not have to worry about my mouth being white.

Hey CCL how are you doing? Have not heard from you for awhile. miss all those wonderful post.
alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#2983 Dec 7, 2012
I see mostly posts about clay now . what happened to the startch eaters ?
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2984 Dec 7, 2012
Hi alexx got your email hope everything is good with you. How are the cravings now?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2985 Dec 7, 2012
alexx wrote:
I see mostly posts about clay now . what happened to the startch eaters ?
That's a good question - true that we haven't heard anything from the starch lovers talking about starch in a while.

I used to LOVE, LOVE cornstarch. I credit DE with getting me off it. I have a couple of partial boxes and they don't attract me at all now (in recent months I would take a few bites now and then, put it in the freezer etc., and I enjoyed it but now it's like 'why bother' and I don't think I'll ever by hooked on starch again).

Not that long ago I thought it was impossible to do without starch. I wonder if I will ever be able to get off of all clay type things?
alexx

Lithonia, GA

#2986 Dec 7, 2012
ackee wrote:
Hi alexx got your email hope everything is good with you. How are the cravings now?
cravings are better now . waay better .
Dhaga

UK

#2987 Dec 7, 2012
Hello everyone, is there anyone in the UK who has clay for sale? I have some serious cravings and cant seem to get it anywhere.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2988 Dec 7, 2012
So many clay lovers on here,wow there has to be something abt this clay we all don't knw yet.wish more research can be carried out.cheers ladies!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2989 Dec 8, 2012
As I sit here nibbling on DE I thought I'd try to find some new pictures of diatomaceous earth in its natural state so did an image search:

http://www.google.com/search...

Wow, I wish I could find DE in chunks instead of just powder. Also, I've never bought DE that is pure white - it's always been off white or slightly darker but some of these rocks are pure white. I wish I had the second one in front of me right now!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2990 Dec 8, 2012
More on diatomite:

A mine in Kenya:

For this one have a look at the huge chunks at 1:20 and another nice chunk at 3:07:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
miss clayer

UK

#2991 Dec 8, 2012
@ All things clay, I live in SA where all sorts of clays are apparently available but I have never come across white clay anywhere!
prooops

UK

#2992 Dec 8, 2012
miss clayer wrote:
@ All things clay, I live in SA where all sorts of clays are apparently available but I have never come across white clay anywhere!
If you live in South Africa why does your posts keep coming up as the UK?.....
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2993 Dec 8, 2012
miss clayer wrote:
I know that somebody, I think Mobu Consumer, has had white clay in Africa but I don't know about South Africa. You're so lucky though, as at least you have a variety of other clays available.

I love reading about the different clays available in African countries. I have had clays out of Africa before, they were so good...wish I could sample them all!
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2994 Dec 8, 2012
Hello Miss clayer. I'm from S.A believe u me, I've tasted about a dozen different types of clay in South Africa. I'm originally from the free state, there is a lot of white clay there, I dnt know if it tastes the same as. The white clay in the u.s thou. I have tasted gray clay, clay that is red and grey. I've tasted black clay, I've tasted different types of beige clay, I've tasted cream white, I've tasted red, brown, dark brown and lime stone... U should travel all over S.A not just jhb if u can n get in the cbd's you will find different types of clay. for instance in the west rand randfontein , that's where I find the dark dark brown clay, u start there :) happy clay eating.
Mel

South Africa

#2995 Dec 8, 2012
Da only clay I came across is the white clay and they sell this in Durban, wish I cud try the oda clays
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2996 Dec 8, 2012
@ Mel everytime I'm in durban I'm with friends or people that do not know I eat clay, so I never even mention clay, my mouth just waters @ it and I walk on. I've also tasted the lesotho clay, when I go there I visit my one granny who stays in the mountains, not far from where she stays there is a place where the locals dig the clay for eating, but its the red clay that's very gritty. In their street markets they have the gray one that has some red stipes,similer to the ones I saw when I googled multani mitti, however I don't know where they dig it from, it tastes soo good!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2997 Dec 8, 2012
Hi mobu consumer, I love reading about the different clays you've tried.

What is the black clay like?
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2998 Dec 8, 2012
@ all things clay, I only had it once a coupla weeks back. The bag I was given had bits that were like very clayi!( I know it don't make sence but that's the best I can explain) and bits that were like dirt formed into chunks that crumbled n melted @ the first touch of my saliva. The taste had a bit of earthiness in it but also had this STRONG taste that I could describe. Its nice but the white clay from home is still the best 4 me;)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2999 Dec 8, 2012
Thanks mobu consumer.

There are so many types of clay and other earthy materials out there - I'm always finding online pictures of stuff with different names that look like they would be good.
Mel

South Africa

#3000 Dec 8, 2012
Hey Mobu Consumer,

Next tym u in durban let me know, lol, maybe u can bring sum Jhb clay for me and I wil get da Durban clay, lol, I come across it in Durban but I dnt buy it cos I am to scared what the person who is selling it gona say cos its very unusual for an indian to be buying clay. Well I tink I just have to buy it and cos this craving is bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. Gives $7 Bil in Food Benefits to "Ineligib... May 22 ronnie 15
News School Leaders Fire Back Against Claims Of Unhe... (May '10) May 20 Superintendant of... 19
News The Mosaic Company Named No. 40 on 100 Best Cor... May 19 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Republicans Eye Changes to Food-Stamp Program May 13 Go Blue Forever 65
News High-protein diets may backfire in the long run May 12 brickboo 1
News Female and losing your hair? Don't worry h- her... May 10 bengiekrome 2
News El Pasoans asked to fill brown paper bags with ... May 8 L Morales 1
More from around the web