Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2887 Nov 30, 2012
mobu consumer wrote:
@clayaholic I stay in Pretoria, South Africa I've never come across white clay here I also visit Johannesburg alot I've never seen white clay there either... In pretoria I've only ever seen the hard beige type n the sandy red type but its in chuncks n still has clay... In Johannesburg there is a bit more variety, I've come across the biege type but it tastes different from the one in pretoria, there is also the soft beige kind, there is also the Dark dark brown hard kind... N I'd always get the white clay from back home in the free-state. All the clays I buy from the street markets. What type of clay do u eat clayaholic? And where do u get urs?
You ladies with access to all that clay are so lucky. I would love to be able to go to a market and just pick some up.
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2888 Dec 1, 2012
@ all things clay, I must say when I see the troubles that some of the people on the forum go through just to get some clay, I'm thankful that I could just walk down the block n get some. But sometimes I get a bit embarrassed when I buy clay, especially when I buy it where I dnt usually buy it. The person that sells it wiil give me a surprised look, one lady told me to stop eating it, it doesn't suit me...
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2889 Dec 1, 2012
Mobu You should not feel bad, Remember that she is selling the clay. Here in the US they sell clay at health Food stores for detox. Their has to be some benefit to this craving for clay. It is hard for others to understand what we are experiencing. God Bless!!
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2890 Dec 1, 2012
Yeah I know, its like when I go buy to the places I'm not used to buying, they have a certain type of people that they r used to selling to, n I'm a different type. Speaking of which... I've seen a white lady buy n even throw a piece of white clay in her mouth from back home... It was the frst time I see a white person eating clay. I'm just glad I can get a hold of the clay when I need it, coz I know the cravings can get hectic...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2891 Dec 1, 2012
mobu consumer wrote:
Yeah I know, its like when I go buy to the places I'm not used to buying, they have a certain type of people that they r used to selling to, n I'm a different type. Speaking of which... I've seen a white lady buy n even throw a piece of white clay in her mouth from back home... It was the frst time I see a white person eating clay. I'm just glad I can get a hold of the clay when I need it, coz I know the cravings can get hectic...
Hi mobu consumer. I'm curious, what type people do they normally sell to lol!

It does seem to be the case that most of us that consume are Black or Asian, but white folk have been known to eat it too especially down south of the USA. This is an interesting little article (scroll down to 7. about Sandlappers):

http://www.sciway.net/sn/52.html#7
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2892 Dec 1, 2012
Lol, @ all things clay, they probably sell to people like me, its just that they give me that feeling... N yeah, I've heard of white people in the USA eating clay/dirt... But in S.A more over my small town, a white person eating clay is very uncommon

“The handle speaks for itself”

Since: Dec 12

Quite a small one

#2893 Dec 1, 2012
I would imagine that the long term affects from eating clay could be quite horrible. It does not seem to me like something that is not bad for your system.
I would also recommend looking at this if you happen to eat clay, dirt, sand, or chalk regularly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_ (disorder)
tomi

Nairobi, Kenya

#2895 Dec 2, 2012
clay is really nice u can get the best in kenya . Lovely
tomi

Nairobi, Kenya

#2896 Dec 2, 2012
clay is very nice. you can get the best of it in kenya
Kenyan clay

Leicester, UK

#2897 Dec 2, 2012
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#2898 Dec 2, 2012
Does the roasted Kenya clay taste earthy and creamy and what color is the clay?
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#2899 Dec 2, 2012
@ Odaowa lover and clay junkie is the Kenya roasted clay the same as Odowa shown on you-tube?
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2900 Dec 2, 2012
tomi wrote:
clay is really nice u can get the best in kenya . Lovely
Do you buy this in the supermarket? It seems as if it is on a shelf. How much does it weigh and the cost? I am sure clay lovers in Kenya are happy to know they can walk in a store and get the product when they have cravings. That shelf is packed.hmmmm
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2901 Dec 2, 2012
It sure does look like it's on supermarket shelves. Wow, it would be great to buy it like that - it looks like it's just as normal as buying say potatoes or fruit.

Does it have any other uses, or does everyone who buys it eat it like we do?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2902 Dec 2, 2012
Kenyan clay wrote:
http://xd9.xanga.com/58ff77004 0c33267574143/b213438614.jpg
Thanks so much for that picture.

I've googled Nakumatt Roasted Clay and some interesting stuff has come up. I was surprised to see a picture that shows the clay is actually white on the inside. Looks delicious. Here are a couple of links:

http://foodandnutritionsecurity.com/2008/09/2...

http://keithalverson.blogspot.com/2011/09/eat...

I came across one site where someone was asking whether this Nakumatt clay was sold in the US. I didn't see an answer, but wouldn't it be great if was?

I see that Nakumatt is the biggest chain of stores in East Africa.
james paker

Torrance, CA

#2903 Dec 2, 2012
He always being a great man, he has help me again thanks Dr.Emma he bring back my girlfriend, at the first time i meet him, my lover (my wife) 8months age my girlfriend leave me to another man because i was too busy for my work she say i don't have time for her i quit the job because of her unfortunately i have loss her already and i was so confuse i lost my job and my love i was tried I try my possible best to bring her back, all disastrous I talk to my best friend to help me talk to her but nothing good come out until one day I was face booking I meet this woman who directed me to this great man Dr.Emma who change my life she gave me this email([email protected] m) I contacted this man,and in my life I have never believe in spell I just give a try he ask for some item which I brought 48hours later my girlfriend(wife) who have not call for 3weeks call me and ask she want to see me, I was very happy to hear that from her first thing in morning I want for her and she start apologizing I accepted her.
If you need this type of help contact him now [email protected]
But I was happy for getting her back. And I needed a job to take care of her I inform him about it I just have a new job with good time what a wonderful man
If you needed a job he is there for you contact now via email:[email protected] m
Love clay

Fargo, ND

#2904 Dec 2, 2012
I love to eat clay but At first I thought I was stupid but I guess I am not after all u all eat it too ... I would like to eat clay but I am not in Africa right now so I would like to ask If anyone knows if I could buy it online??? Plzx help
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2905 Dec 2, 2012
Love clay wrote:
I love to eat clay but At first I thought I was stupid but I guess I am not after all u all eat it too ... I would like to eat clay but I am not in Africa right now so I would like to ask If anyone knows if I could buy it online??? Plzx help
maybe the best place to buy clay is Mutt and jeff they are reasonable with the price . If you type in white dirt you will see various places come up. you can also type in" Georgia white Dirt" As long as you are in the US they will ship it to you. Mutt and Jeff so far is the cheapest.
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2906 Dec 3, 2012
The kenyan clay looks soooo good. Wish I could grab it from my screen.
scared-one

Morocco

#2907 Dec 3, 2012
Hello clayeating fam :)
So, i was thinking, which is better, having a large amount of clay within 2days and taking a break for a week or having a small bite everyday? in terms of moderation i mean.... i know having a small piece a day or 2 and then taking a break is much better but am still a long way to go cuz i use to take loads everyday, it can go up to a kg per day so this is kinda an improvement for, am trying to moderate.....
an have anyone have problems with sinus after eating it? i mainly consumw white dirt, lately when i stop for days or a week, i normally come up with a flu after staring again and all these problems are starting now that am moderating my consumption, i use to be OK when i was having my clay everyday, weird huh, i keep telling myself maybe my body is adapting to the new system

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... (Mar '17) Dec 9 Lisa 7
News How to Be A Better Medicare Patient Dec 4 Expensive 1
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov 30 old hippy 2
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Nov 27 SSWOI 14
News BOE reminding parents of outside food policy Nov 24 Parent 2
News Energy drinks 'cause mental health problems and... Nov 20 Suezanne 4
News Q&A with... Dr. Wendy Wolfson, a board-certifie... Nov 17 humanspirit 1
More from around the web