Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.
Comments
2,781 - 2,800 of 7,893 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
mehh

Delhi, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been wanting to try multani mitti/fuller's earth, it sounds like it would be really earthy and delicious, but I don't like stuff that really clumps/sticks in the mouth so I'm glad you've said that.
I do that chew and spit out thing sometimes too, and see that a few other people also do it (I thought I was the only one). I feel like I'm being wasteful though, and my husband can't stand it so I avoid doing it around him.
Angela can you please let us know how the Mutt and Jeff clay was when you get it, and could anyone else who has commented recently say how it was please? I don't think I can hold off much longer, need to order something, but I don't want to waste my money or be disappointed. I know people said that amazon white dirt is real good, but I was wondering if the Mutt and Jeff stuff was close and good too. The Mutt and Jeff stuff seems to be the best value, but as I said I don't want to be disappointed. Thanks
and the worst part comes when it comes out with huge clumps when you eat large piece of it directly! I dislyk that feel but what we can do if you have strong cravings and don't have access to any other clay :( i waana try all those what people write here! well, had booked my flight to leh to get some kaolin and to dig fuller of my own! am excited
adaku

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

mobu consumer wrote:
oh ok thanx Adaku........ I just got a hold of black clay, its quite good, its earthy but also has this other peculiar taste I can't explain, the bag I have has like very clayi parts that form a soft rock like texture n r firm , n it also has the crumbly parts that r like ant hill, but not the taste, its quite clean, no roots or stones in it, I got it from my friend that studies horticulture... Hmmm but I still miss the white clay from back home...
do you wish to sell,will love totry something new..sol
mobu consumer

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Lol I'd love to sell but I don't think I have the time or proper knowledge and resources to do so...
adaku

Aberdeen, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

mobu consumer wrote:
Lol I'd love to sell but I don't think I have the time or proper knowledge and resources to do so...
there is a market for clay...just in case you ever decide to sell,i will bé your first buyer..Lol

Since: Apr 11

Racine, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

I am giving myself a kaolin clay facial. My mouth is watering.
LoveClay2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

adaku wrote:
<quoted text>there is a market for clay...just in case you ever decide to sell,i will bé your first buyer..Lol
I sell the saltless kind...love4clay2@yahoo.coc for info if u r interested.
mary tyler

Seguin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Hi clay family I got of whole of some of my favorite grey clay .I clean the sand off and bake it yum yum good. Well stomach is full time for bed.I also enjoy the pictures of all the delious looking clay.
ackee

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

mehh wrote:
<quoted text>
I loved the images!
yes they are beautiful. I am sure not many of us live close to these spectacular sights not to mention enormous amount of clay.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Couldn't sleep, so thought I would do some reading and writing about wonderful clay. Sorry for such a long post!

I love reading about peoples' experiences with clay and things like clay or used in substitution for clay. I also of course love pictures and videos.

What I also like to do is read about clay eaters, to get more information and to try to reassure myself that people like us are not abnormal, mentally ill or weird! I think that we are driven by the need for these things because we intuitively know that they contain what we are deficient in and what we need. It seems some of us have increased nutritional needs - whether due to anaemia, other physical issues, to help deal with stress or whatever reason.

As I have said in an earlier post, I now think that why some of us have such urgent cravings, and eat so much, is either because our need is so great or we aren't actually consuming the type clay or earthy material that our body needs so we never really satisfy our bodies. Sure we get enjoyment from the eating, but the deficiency is not corrected - so is that why we crave and crave?

I got thinking because of some of the things we are drawn to. Cornstarch, for example. Some of us crave it, and I can tell you I was a big, big eater. I credit DE with helping me getting that craving under control, and I am so happy that I am no longer under the power of that white powder.

I am not judging anybody, because I was there myself, but what could cornstarch possibly offer us nutritionally that makes us go mad for it? In my case cornstarch was tried as a substitute for clay and then I got hooked. It is dry, powdery, melts in the mouth. It's white like white dirt. I can see why we would be drawn to it, but I think it is a substitute for what our bodies really need.

So is the key trying to find the clay or earth that gives us what we require with reasonable dosages? If so, how do we find the correct clay or other earthy product that is best for us? There are so many clays out there!

I had asked in an earlier post if anyone had tried clay supplements like Edible Earth http://www.magneticclay.com/store/edible-eart... or Terramin http://www.californiaearthminerals.com/produc... . This one I just found looks interesting too: http://www.kanwaminerals.com/index.php...
These supplements all claim to supply lots of minerals.

Has anyone tried any of the above? If so, how were they? Did they taste good? Did they help with cravings?

Here is a link to an article about geophagy, pointing out the long history of it and that it isn't abnormal and suggesting that in the past people had a better grasp of what nature has to offer:

http://www.natural-healing-for-all.com/eating...

The article also refers to the article "Women who eat Dirt" and here is a link to an extract:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.1525/gfc.200...

I can't imagine ever completely giving up clay or similar, but would like to control the cravings. In my case it started due to anaemia, and for most of my life I did not have these cravings. When I didn't have the crave I must admit I would have found it hard to imagine how things are now, so I suppose I can see how some people may think people like us are a bit uh, unusual.

Well I suppose I'll try to get some sleep now.
ackee

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

All Things clay

I agree with your statement about different types of clay that each individuals crave. I realize that a lot of us try different clay. Sometimes we are satisfied with and some times it does nothing for us. We continue to search out the clay we so crave. It would be nice if their was a place to sample different clay until we find the one that contains the minerals we crave. They put the clay in pill forms but it is still clay.
Their is a video of astronauts eating clay in space bcz they were suffering from osterporosis. Their has to be some benefit to eating clay. They put it in pill form in health food stores.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

ackee

I seen that video of the astronauts and that clay that Ray eats looks so good. I was wondering what type of clay was that?
mobu consumer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Hello fellow clay lovers! Does anybody know hw to post pictures on the site with a phone? Particularly a blackberry? I have been trying to post pictures of some delicious clay... But I dnt see that option. Oh n would somebody please tell me if there r different types of miltani mitti, coz the pics I see online r of different clay, I've tasted some of them, so does anybody know?
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

I had a dreamed about eating clay . Cravings are getting out of control since they're showing up in my dreams . I had this big bag of white clay w/ bite size pieces in it . All to myself . The chalky residue I would get on my hands & that earthy flavor w/ the crunch when I bite into it & it turns smooth . It was so good . Had my mouth watering I was so upset to wake up & see that I didn't have a big bag of white clay .:( Better luck next time lol .
angela

Queens Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

mobu consumer wrote:
Hello fellow clay lovers! Does anybody know hw to post pictures on the site with a phone? Particularly a blackberry? I have been trying to post pictures of some delicious clay... But I dnt see that option. Oh n would somebody please tell me if there r different types of miltani mitti, coz the pics I see online r of different clay, I've tasted some of them, so does anybody know?
HI mobu consumer, growing up in india i only saw one type of multani mittii... very yellowish in color. very creamy and sometimes a little bit darker lyk khaki color ... almost like the clay mavu sells.
angela

Queens Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Hello everyone, how is everybody doing? So, yesterday i got my white dirt from mutt and jeff... and since it has been very cold outside and it was raining here in the new york area yesterday, the clay is very moist, so it doesn't taste very good rite now. it is very very smooth and creamyyyyyy. but tastes wet which i don't like. i am going to have to bake it or something since i can't dry it outside. its so cold out. lets see i might have to bake it in the oven or something... the dry clay tastes so yummy...
mobu consumer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Hey angela... If u google multani mitti... U will see the different types of clay... I think I saw grey clay there aswell... So I was a bit confused. Where in Gauteng can I get nultani mitti?
angela

Queens Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

hi mobu consumer, i am sorry i live in the USA, i don't no where you could get multani mitti. even here in the US They don't have chunks of multani mitti just powder as face pack sold here. sorry
MavuSeller

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Done! Finished! You ladies have sold me out! But you didn't think I'd totally leave you hanging did you?

As I have to break up the clay small enough to package it, I'm always left with the powder and small crumbs left over which I keep as every ounce is like gold to some of you! lol

So just letting you know that I'm selling the powder now but the only catch is that there is only 8 bags left so you better hurry!!

Follow the link below:

http://mavu.bigcartel.com/product/mavu-powder...

Have a good evening!
mobu consumer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Oh, I've tasted the darker beige one, but it ddnt form clumps or stick to my gums... Anyway, enjoy ur powder

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

How soon can you get new stock??I hope it's soon. That clay is the earthier that I have ever tasted.
MavuSeller wrote:
Done! Finished! You ladies have sold me out! But you didn't think I'd totally leave you hanging did you?
As I have to break up the clay small enough to package it, I'm always left with the powder and small crumbs left over which I keep as every ounce is like gold to some of you! lol
So just letting you know that I'm selling the powder now but the only catch is that there is only 8 bags left so you better hurry!!
Follow the link below:
http://mavu.bigcartel.com/product/mavu-powder...
Have a good evening!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••