Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,288
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2825 Nov 25, 2012
ackee wrote:
ALL THINGS CLAY
The second post is fabulous. Those cliffs are so white and beautiful. Just imagine if that was in your backyard we might go crazy. It is amazing that we are so attracted to the earth. How good it looks and How good it might taste. How we find such comfort in clay. They give so many reason why we should not have it then their are others who show its medicinal uses. I think it taste so good bcz of our bodies lack of certain minerals that we might over indulge. I do love clay I have not been eating as much as I use to but I do think about it all the time.I am fascinated that we just develop this urge and craving for this chalk like substance. Sorry to say I love chewing it.
I know what you mean. I think about it all the time too. I have DE here and that keeps me going but I still crave real clay.

Here's another picture. I think this is in an area like what Chalk lover talked about that it is not suitable for eating and has fossils in it but doesn't it look good?

http://www.seven-sisters.ukfossils.co.uk/loca...

That second link that I provided above says that in parts of Kent in England they have "very soft, nearly flint-free chalk, the Margate Chalk." That sounds good. It also talks about clays mixed in with the chalk. Wish I could be somewhere like that to dig around in the safe areas to try to find some of the good stuff!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2826 Nov 25, 2012
Have a look at this picture. My goodness, all that kaolin just lying there!

http://hamgil.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/...

So Cornwall does seem to be the place in the UK for white dirt. I need to go there!

http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines/clay/...
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2827 Nov 25, 2012
angela wrote:
@ mehh... I have eaten multani mitti as a kid in india. what i hated was it clumps up in your mouth. most of it gets stuck on your teeth/gums. here in the US , we can not find the chunks. the only fuller's earth we can find is the one in little boxes sold for face packs. sucks... i have been getting white dirt for past year or so. It tastes super good.... lot better than the fuller's earth. it doesnt get stuck to your teeth. That is important for me because i can spit out most of the white dirt after enjoying its dry earthy texture. I don't want to ingest it cuz i know it is going to cause constipation and maybe kidney stones, if i don't drink enough water. one reason why i spit it out because i cna't stop a one or two pieces..i love it so much i keep on munching on it. so i always keep a plastic bag with me , i enjoy the earthy flavor until it becomes a paste then i throw it out in the plastic bag..... i really really love the way it tastes. i can finish like 2 lbs ( almost 1 kg ) in a day.
I've been wanting to try multani mitti/fuller's earth, it sounds like it would be really earthy and delicious, but I don't like stuff that really clumps/sticks in the mouth so I'm glad you've said that.

I do that chew and spit out thing sometimes too, and see that a few other people also do it (I thought I was the only one). I feel like I'm being wasteful though, and my husband can't stand it so I avoid doing it around him.

Angela can you please let us know how the Mutt and Jeff clay was when you get it, and could anyone else who has commented recently say how it was please? I don't think I can hold off much longer, need to order something, but I don't want to waste my money or be disappointed. I know people said that amazon white dirt is real good, but I was wondering if the Mutt and Jeff stuff was close and good too. The Mutt and Jeff stuff seems to be the best value, but as I said I don't want to be disappointed. Thanks
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2828 Nov 25, 2012
Sorry - meant to ask if anyone else who has ordered (from Mutt and Jeff) recently could say how it was please.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2829 Nov 25, 2012
All things clay wrote:
Have a look at this picture. My goodness, all that kaolin just lying there!
http://hamgil.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/...
So Cornwall does seem to be the place in the UK for white dirt. I need to go there!
http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines/clay/...
Where do you get these photos? very nice and interesting. the earth is beautiful. it almost as if eating clay helps you appreciate it. We have to remember without clay soil lots of food would not thrive. If it is good for plants maybe it is good for us bcz we eat the vegetation that they produce. HMMM FOOD FOR THOUGHT
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2830 Nov 25, 2012
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i totally agree with you especially the chewing part.
Adaku
Is your clay eating still under control? How was your treat from Mavu? Does it seems that when you have no clay around the cravings intensifies. When you have your treat and it is done are you satisfied or do you wish you had a little more?
Clayaholic

UK

#2831 Nov 25, 2012
ordered from mavu had no problems. just read up a couple posts asking how the clay is. soooo good! it's got that earthy flavour crumbles and melts in your mouth and i found baking it for a bit really brings out the flavour. my only issue is that I ate it too quickly! so yummy gonna order moreee..those pictures from all things clay look good too but how would we get down there??!

Since: Apr 11

Milwaukee, WI

#2832 Nov 25, 2012
angela wrote:
Hello everyone, I found a website online. They have kaolin , food grade and FDA approved or soemthing.... they offer different kind. please take a look. I did not contact them.
http://www.cbchrystal.com/Mineral_grade.php...
I thought you might find this interesting. I purchase from here also. http://www.sunclaytherapy.com/product_claybox...
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2833 Nov 25, 2012
Thanx All will check this out! Hopefully its at the pet shops here too. There are two kinds of it i see so will be careful to get the right one. Btw - how much do u eat per day and how earthy & satisfying is it?
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately DE is one thing I don't have trouble getting because they sell it here. I found it first at a pet shop and it was labelled for internal use by pets but worked out too expensive.
I then found some at a plant and animal place that was sold as an insecticide but is food grade and works out at a good price. This is what type it is:
http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/view...
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2834 Nov 25, 2012
Yes, am all for the vid idea Angela. Theres not enough of those showng how ppl can eat n enjoy clay. Its a real issue & i personaly love to see when ppl just express their like for clay freely. Can never get enough of mouthwatering pics and vid like those. Yummy fun!
angela wrote:
@ chalklover...... Oh man.. so disappointed....... those cliffs loook so goood.......... look just like kaolin .. i was like thinking that all you UK clay lover could go around that area and dig up some . but i guess that didn't work out. but the video where the kids are jumping in the water is actually real kaolin..... it looks like a place where kaolin has been mined from.
and hello to everyone else.. I am still waiting on my white dirt from Mutt and Jeff.... so goooooddddddd.. i just can't wait anymore. That white smooth dirt.. sometimes there are some pieces very very smooth and crumbly.. and all bags usually have like powder at the bottom. i always collect the powder in one bag. The bag fills up with the powder and i eat it with a spoon. The powder tastes so earthy.... yum yum yum..... i really want to make a video this time. and take pictures of my white dirt/kaolin.
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2835 Nov 25, 2012
To CEL, Adaku,Shaz, and all u other guys workin really hard to stay off this clay habit I really want to commend & encourage u to stay strong if you feel this is a habit u want to be rid off. I've tried to get rid of the cravings since childhood but it just comes back every single day. The iron pills do more harm than the clay to me so thats not an option. Now i've fully accepted my condition & just want the choiciest creamiest and crunchiest clay from all around the world to eat, swim in and whatever else can be done with clay. Wish the whole stigma to the habit wasnt there and that we could just sit at a table and eat it openly like cookies haha but... in any case stay strong guys and yeah Shaz, pls go check the chest pains out. Take care clay loving fam.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2836 Nov 25, 2012
Type in Images of Kaolin mines and you get to see some beautiful pictures. My favorite is the two men standing in the middle of a crater. They are surrounded by clay.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#2837 Nov 25, 2012
Hey Ackee,I am doing pretty well.i am off my iron tabs so lately the craves creep in but they are not as intense.i enjoyed mavus supply and will order more later,the good thing is I eat a little at once not like in the past when I would grind it to powder,bake it and eat 1kg using plate and spoon like I am having my meals.recently I am also preoccupied by my surgery scheduled for feb to get the fibroid out and do an elective ovarian drill.i will treat myself some more before the said date and hope I completely give it up after surgery...lol.wish me luck!
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2838 Nov 25, 2012
ADAKU I will pray that everything goes well for you. God bless you !!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2839 Nov 25, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
Thanx All will check this out! Hopefully its at the pet shops here too. There are two kinds of it i see so will be careful to get the right one. Btw - how much do u eat per day and how earthy & satisfying is it? <quoted text>
Yes, please be careful to get the right type.

I don't measure, but guess that I have a few tablespoons a day but I don't have it every day. My cravings are still strong for clay, but when I have DE I find that I can control it now (have had serious addiction issues with it in the past though). I sometimes add water and bake it or put it out to dry naturally, and sometimes just add it to water, drink the water and eat with a spoon what's left on the bottom. Occasionally I have a spoonful of the powder just the way it is. You have to be careful to drink plenty of water when you have it, especially if you eat a lot.

I find it satisfying. I still want real clay, but find DE to be a good substitute. It has some good qualities. I wouldn't consider it earthy, but I think it has a nice flavour. It also mixes well when you add water, turns nice and crunchy when you let it dry and harden, and is at the same time nice and creamy. If you haven't tried it I would suggest you do some reading about it online if you haven't already done so. Many think it has health benefits, but some people say negative things. I really enjoy it.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2840 Nov 25, 2012
ackee wrote:
Type in Images of Kaolin mines and you get to see some beautiful pictures. My favorite is the two men standing in the middle of a crater. They are surrounded by clay.
Hi ackee, to answer your question above I find the pictures that I put links to because I spend too much time looking for clay online lol! I like to do different searches to see what I can find, and then drool over the pictures.

I've done the kaolin mines search. Thanks; some great, delicious looking images.
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2841 Nov 25, 2012
ADAKU. I'm from South Africa I stay in pretoria, do u perhaps have the salty type? Hello everybody else, been reading up the comments n loving the pics n vids. I googled miltani mitti, some of the pics of clay I saw looked familiar and it looked like different types of clay to me. Is it all made of the same typa clay? Hope yall have a great day n some good clay...
adaku

UK

#2842 Nov 25, 2012
mobu consumer wrote:
ADAKU. I'm from South Africa I stay in pretoria, do u perhaps have the salty type? Hello everybody else, been reading up the comments n loving the pics n vids. I googled miltani mitti, some of the pics of clay I saw looked familiar and it looked like different types of clay to me. Is it all made of the same typa clay? Hope yall have a great day n some good clay...
Hey dear,the salty one is actually the one i prefer but my suppliers ran out of stock months ago so i have had to eat the saltless ones which i think is okay will still prefer my salty ones though..
mobu consumer

South Africa

#2843 Nov 26, 2012
oh ok thanx Adaku........ I just got a hold of black clay, its quite good, its earthy but also has this other peculiar taste I can't explain, the bag I have has like very clayi parts that form a soft rock like texture n r firm , n it also has the crumbly parts that r like ant hill, but not the taste, its quite clean, no roots or stones in it, I got it from my friend that studies horticulture... Hmmm but I still miss the white clay from back home...
mehh

Delhi, India

#2844 Nov 26, 2012
ackee wrote:
I loved the images!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lindenhurst Chiropractor Launches Nutrition Web... 9 hr Chiropractor from... 5
U.S. nutrition program for mothers, infants see... Sun Guess Who 2
Dietitian's online chat takes in weight loss, c... (Mar '11) Sep 19 Lauren123 63
When talking about body size, African-American ... Sep 12 Rock 9
Black Women's Ideas Of Fat Far From Doctors'; M... Sep 12 BWEFocused 20
Organization to only prep Black children for su... Sep 9 LION 9
Fat Loss Factor Review: Does Dr. Charles Living... (Jul '12) Sep 9 Lena 70
•••

Nutrition People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••