Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

ackee

Bronx, NY

#2780 Nov 22, 2012
angela wrote:
this is my fav. picture of white dirt.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22015726 @N08/5631092010/sizes/l/in/pho tostream/
link did not work was unable to see the picture.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2781 Nov 22, 2012
scared-one wrote:
I must say am now addicted to the forum, its like my second facebook now and can't seem to get off the page, always enjoying the posts and some of the comments and vidoes and pics, most are so mouthwatering!, makes me want to taste all these different types of clay i've not yet tried...I wish the attitude towards eating it was different though so we can freely have it in public cuz here i am in the bus stop and i usually have some in my bag even when i go to school and the craving is strong sometimes when i am around people and you should see me always trying to put a piece in my mouth without anyone seeing it and then i have to use my front teeth to chew on it discretely so as not to make the crunchy sound before letting it melt in my mouth, yummy! but then again am always worried about it not showing around my mouth since its so white and very noticeable and whenever it does people start looking at me weirdly and i feel ashamed then cuz people here don't know this delicacy ... but i guess the trouble we go through to get it and all this makes it more enjoyable.
have a wonderful weekend ahead everyone!
I know how you feel.
mehh

Europe

#2782 Nov 23, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi mehh,
Wat clay do u eat?
I crave fullers earth.
Mel

South Africa

#2783 Nov 23, 2012
Hi Mehh,

I have neva tasted fullers earth and am not sure if they sell it in SA, but I read bout da multani mitti and dey sell it in SA in face packs, but not whole :( craving clay so badly, is any1 from Durban here dat knws which shop I can purchase clay?
concerned earth lover

London, UK

#2784 Nov 23, 2012
I went back packing with my husband in Greek islands. And on a ride into the mountains we stumbled on dark grey soft rocks which formed large hills along the road track. It tasted very earthy and crumbled in the mouth. Some rocks were very soft and melt in your mouth while others were a bit harder but could be broken into bitesize. I packed a load of the claylike rock to take home. It was free and UNpolluted so the best kind. But when I was leaving for the airport I just had this voice telling me to throw it all away cause I've been off clay for about six months and didn't want to be so dependent again. I feel really good for throwing it away but on the flight back home I kept thinking of the soft earthy rocks just lying unspoilt along the mountains and forest track. Yum
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2785 Nov 23, 2012
Hello All,,,

I found something online.... especially for UK clay lovers... please check out these videos... you guys have got lots of white dirt out there :P

&fe ature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2786 Nov 23, 2012
look at this vid guys..... lots of clay... i wonder where this is.... looks so good.:)

&fe ature=fvwrel
scared-one

Morocco

#2787 Nov 23, 2012
angela wrote:
Hello All,,,
I found something online.... especially for UK clay lovers... please check out these videos... you guys have got lots of white dirt out there :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =m24_-tc4xGkXX&feature=rel ated
wow i love i second video especially, it looks so pure and there is less danger of contamination...hope one of the guys around live there
ackee

White Plains, NY

#2788 Nov 23, 2012
angela wrote:
look at this vid guys..... lots of clay... i wonder where this is.... looks so good.:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Bn09g1bwgDcXX&feature=fvw rel
That scene is so beautiful
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2789 Nov 23, 2012
Yum!! is it wrong to see a nat disaster waitin to happen and think boy id like to eat some of that lol. that white dirt looks so good
angela wrote:
Hello All,,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =m24_-tc4xGkXX&feature=rel ated
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2790 Nov 23, 2012
Hv mixd feelins about this one CEL. I want to be happy 4 u but am cryin coz i really think thats some delicious dirt you threw away... But stay strong. U are at a place many of us wish to be.
concerned earth lover wrote:
I went back packing with my husband in Greek islands. And on a ride into the mountains we stumbled on dark grey soft rocks which formed large hills along the road track. It tasted very earthy and crumbled in the mouth. Some rocks were very soft and melt in your mouth while others were a bit harder but could be broken into bitesize. I packed a load of the claylike rock to take home. It was free and UNpolluted so the best kind. But when I was leaving for the airport I just had this voice telling me to throw it all away cause I've been off clay for about six months and didn't want to be so dependent again. I feel really good for throwing it away but on the flight back home I kept thinking of the soft earthy rocks just lying unspoilt along the mountains and forest track. Yum
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2791 Nov 23, 2012
Hi All where do you get ur DE?
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard of this, and thought I would spend a couple of minutes to see if I could find some information on it.
Found this interesting article about clay eating in Africa during the horrible times of slavery.
http://dianabuja.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/cla...
It starts off about it being considered a disease called "safura" that they needed to cure and I wonder if the people that they thought had "safura" actually had symptoms of anaemia or some other deficiency that drove them to eat a lot of clay or other earth.
There is also reference to a book called Geophagy written in 1930. That would probably make interesting reading for more about the practices during that time period.
I have come to believe that we seek clay and other earthy things because we instinctively know that such material may contain something that our body is lacking. I have a theory that, due to there being so many different types of clay etc., what any individual needs may not be what the clay (or whatever) we actually get our hands on to eat provides - and that's why our cravings never seem to be satisfied.
I would love to find the perfect clay (or similar) for me. Something is telling me that is red clay, just need to find a good source.
I'm also thinking of ordering one of the clay based mineral supplements that I've heard of to see if that satisfies. Has anyone tried them, for example Terramin or Edible Earth? It would work out very expensive if I ordered one these and consumed them in large quantities, but would be great if I could satisfy the crave sticking to a normal dosages and if they tasted good.
I'm off to make some DE balls to put out in the sun to dry....can't wait to have some later!
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#2792 Nov 23, 2012
Yeah, feel the same way about this forum too. Its relaxin to come here and talk freely about our habits. Things we dare not even tell some fam membrs. Am still tryin to fig what to say exactly to one of my reltiv that goes to Haiti fairly often. How do i dare ask them to buy me a few lbs of clay without them laughin or recommdin a doc or somethin lol. As you guys proly know, you can get tons of edible clay in Haiti at dirt cheap prices, no pun intended :)so yeah, talkin about it here is nice.
scared-one wrote:
I must say am now addicted to the forum, its like my second facebook now and can't seem to get off the page, always enjoying the posts and some of the comments and vidoes and pics, most are so mouthwatering!, makes me want to taste all these different types of clay i've not yet tried...I wish the attitude towards eating it was different though so we can freely have it in public cuz here i am in the bus stop and i usually have some in my bag even when i go to school and the craving is strong sometimes when i am around people and you should see me always trying to put a piece in my mouth without anyone seeing it and then i have to use my front teeth to chew on it discretely so as not to make the crunchy sound before letting it melt in my mouth, yummy! but then again am always worried about it not showing around my mouth since its so white and very noticeable and whenever it does people start looking at me weirdly and i feel ashamed then cuz people here don't know this delicacy ... but i guess the trouble we go through to get it and all this makes it more enjoyable.
have a wonderful weekend ahead everyone!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2793 Nov 23, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
Yum!! is it wrong to see a nat disaster waitin to happen and think boy id like to eat some of that lol. that white dirt looks so good <quoted text>
That's what I was thinking too!

Hopefully nobody was injured. I would just love to be there with a big bucket and shovel.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2794 Nov 23, 2012
Yeah, feel the same way about this forum too. Its relaxin to come here and talk freely about our habits. Things we dare not even tell some fam membrs. Am still tryin to fig what to say exactly to one of my reltiv that goes to Haiti fairly often. How do i dare ask them to buy me a few lbs of clay without them laughin or recommdin a doc or somethin lol. As you guys proly know, you can get tons of edible clay in Haiti at dirt cheap prices, no pun intended :)so yeah, talkin about it here is nice.<quoted text>
I agree. I have relatives who go regularly to places that clay can easily be picked up but don't want to ask for the reasons you say. There must be lots of other people in our countries like us, it would be so nice to find them and talk openly. I try to talk about clay and its benefits to see if anybody will give me a clue that they are cravers too, but I haven't met anybody yet!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2795 Nov 23, 2012
I remember seeing a video of big bags of delicious looking chunks of Haitian clay.

I wonder if people in Haiti eat the chunks too just the way they are...all I've seen online is about the 'cookies' that they make.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2796 Nov 23, 2012
Hi All where do you get ur DE?<quoted text>
Fortunately DE is one thing I don't have trouble getting because they sell it here. I found it first at a pet shop and it was labelled for internal use by pets but worked out too expensive.

I then found some at a plant and animal place that was sold as an insecticide but is food grade and works out at a good price. This is what type it is:

http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/view...
concerned earth lover

Chester, UK

#2797 Nov 24, 2012
Caribbean clay lover you are so right. lol. That is true I still slap myself for not bringing back the yummy clay. My husband doesn't like me eating clay but he even encouraged me to take this fresh UNpolluted earth we found. I had a really low point when I was spending ridiculous amount of money buying ghana clay and using it as a pacifier for my stress. But I wanted to gain control back because for me I believe I suffered with pica which is a obsessive compulsive disorder that affected me socially. I didn't go out or talk to friends and family. I just sat at home bottling up stuff and chewing on clay. And it felt very calming. I then swapped clay for Crayola chalk which was nice and crunchy but not earthy so I did not swallow it and then gradually I just stopped having the urge to buy clay or chalk. I thank God because I still crave clay but now my will power is better. It's different for us all I guess. Good luck clay lovers and stay safe.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#2798 Nov 24, 2012
I love looking at Clay Videos too ,thinking if only I was there what fun can I have eating clay all day.
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2799 Nov 24, 2012
the second video makes my mouth water . it would be nice to have like a bag full of that white dirt . I wonder do anybody go there & dig for white dirt ? the last video those people swear so much but I would love to jump off a cliff & dive into water w/ clay at the bottom . I wonder do they have clay along the sides of the cliff ? cravings are getting stronger day by day but w/ no clay to eat it seems like I have no choice but to deal w/ the cravings until they die down . my mouth waters as I keep typing clay because I would like to have some to chew on right now .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Feb 14 Anonymous 17
News White House wants to deliver food to the poor, ... Feb 14 okimar 8
News Nutrition and the African-American diet Feb 11 humanspirit 13
News Why do consumers buy plant-based dairy alternat... Feb 9 Yesterday and Today 2
News Chocolate Day 2018: These Are the Chocolates Yo... Feb 9 Corvus 1
News Female and losing your hair? Don't worry h- her... (Mar '15) Feb 8 ChristinaMack 4
News Frozen pizza almost as good as real thing (Dec '10) Feb 6 Hungry Marvin 28
More from around the web