Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9259 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mel

South Africa

#2759 Nov 21, 2012
Hi mehh,

Was talking bout da multani mitti, do u eat it in powder form or wat do u do?
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2760 Nov 21, 2012
Blesn wrote:
Please give it up its not good especially for the single.my sister advised me to stop eating clay but was difficult for me.i started to crack the clay and spit it out instead of swallowing and unknown to me some of the clay particles were entering into my stomach and now i have fibroid. but thank god i have stopped eating clay for the past 38days.
I have a question do you think that clay gives you fibroid? How do you explain people who have fibroid and do not eat clay. Sometimes their are things that are happening in our body that we are unaware of. I would think that because we have fibroid which can cause anemia thus increasing our cravings for clay. We have been debating this on this forum for awhile now. It has been known that women of color suffer more with fibroid. I find it interesting that the body craves something that is known for removing toxins from the body.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2761 Nov 21, 2012
adaku wrote:
I just got my clay from Mavu!enjoying myself nowwwww...
Glad to hear that. Mavu is really trying to please her customers. That clay does look real earthy. hmmmmm
cornstrach eater

Woodbridge, VA

#2762 Nov 21, 2012
If anyone has ordered from mava can u please tell us how it was?
alexx

Mcdonough, GA

#2763 Nov 21, 2012
it feels like the cravings are getting stronger each day . I miss eating white dirt ... or digging up red clay to let it dry out & eat .
Clayeattinprego

Baltimore, MD

#2764 Nov 21, 2012
ackee wrote:
<quoted text>
Another 20 dollars and you could have bought a case from down home Georgia . That is why I miss mutt and Jeff 10 lbs for 20 includes shipping and handling. Clay is so expensive. I think they make money from the shipping and handling.
They are in stock, ten lbs for ten dollars I recently ordered

“Live Each Day and Have Fun !”

Since: Nov 12

Where I am at .

#2765 Nov 21, 2012
Anyone around here heard of Bran, Prunes, Rasins ? Sure as heck gonna need it if you keep eating what you have been.
clay junkie

UK

#2766 Nov 22, 2012
Who amongst you has ever eaten ant hill clay? When we were younger we would go to ant hills and pick out the outer dried crust and they were super earthy. The ants made this thin layer of earth and with the african sun baking it , you'd have a nice earthy crunchy biscuit that just melts in your mouth..... Mmmmmm memories!
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2767 Nov 22, 2012
Clayeattinprego wrote:
<quoted text>
They are in stock, ten lbs for ten dollars I recently ordered
Hey , thank you. I ordered from them like last week friday. On their website it says UPS only pics up on Thursdays, so i would have been shipped today, but now it is the holidays. So i guess it will be shipped next thursday and i wont get it till monday.:(

bTW ... Happy Thanksgiving to everyone . take care guys.....
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2769 Nov 22, 2012
Hello everyone..... mutt and jeff has shipped my white dirt. yum yum.... it will be here next week either monday or tuesday. I got the tracking number :) so excited.

Hi ackee , could you give me your e-mail again please. I wanted to ask you somethig.:)
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2770 Nov 22, 2012
this is my fav. picture of white dirt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22015726 @N08/5631092010/sizes/l/in/pho tostream/
angela

Jamaica, NY

#2771 Nov 22, 2012
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22015726 @N08/5631092010/sizes/l/in/pho tostream/

lets see if this link works
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2772 Nov 22, 2012
clay junkie wrote:
Who amongst you has ever eaten ant hill clay? When we were younger we would go to ant hills and pick out the outer dried crust and they were super earthy. The ants made this thin layer of earth and with the african sun baking it , you'd have a nice earthy crunchy biscuit that just melts in your mouth..... Mmmmmm memories!
I have heard of this, and thought I would spend a couple of minutes to see if I could find some information on it.

Found this interesting article about clay eating in Africa during the horrible times of slavery.

http://dianabuja.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/cla...

It starts off about it being considered a disease called "safura" that they needed to cure and I wonder if the people that they thought had "safura" actually had symptoms of anaemia or some other deficiency that drove them to eat a lot of clay or other earth.

There is also reference to a book called Geophagy written in 1930. That would probably make interesting reading for more about the practices during that time period.

I have come to believe that we seek clay and other earthy things because we instinctively know that such material may contain something that our body is lacking. I have a theory that, due to there being so many different types of clay etc., what any individual needs may not be what the clay (or whatever) we actually get our hands on to eat provides - and that's why our cravings never seem to be satisfied.

I would love to find the perfect clay (or similar) for me. Something is telling me that is red clay, just need to find a good source.

I'm also thinking of ordering one of the clay based mineral supplements that I've heard of to see if that satisfies. Has anyone tried them, for example Terramin or Edible Earth? It would work out very expensive if I ordered one these and consumed them in large quantities, but would be great if I could satisfy the crave sticking to a normal dosages and if they tasted good.

I'm off to make some DE balls to put out in the sun to dry....can't wait to have some later!
MavuSeller

UK

#2773 Nov 22, 2012
clay junkie wrote:
I remember my mum used to eat it in Zim! When we came to the UK around about the same time I started eating mavu she would ask relatives to bring both the clay and the anthill soil. I've always stayed true to the mavu but when it was finished and there was just the anthill I would just go for that as it was sooooo red and earthy, I think that was due to it being baked in the sun. The only problem I had with it was how many little stones it had in it!!! Soooo annoying but it was worth it lol not to mention it didn't leave you with the tell tale circle of clay around your mouth that mavu left!

BUT a few years ago I was watching this animal documentary and it actually showed a timelapse of how the ants make the anthill! Basically they collect soil and use their saliva to stick it together!! Totally put me off!! Things like that make my skin crawl! But now I pretty much have an unlimited supply so no more anthills for me!
Ant hill clay

Leicester, UK

#2774 Nov 22, 2012
mehh

Europe

#2775 Nov 22, 2012
Mel wrote:
Hi mehh,
I am not from india, but in south africa, if u go to any indian prayer shop u get da block ashes there. Well the packets come in different sizes, so it depends hw much u want to buy, and its very cheap. But I'm actually craving clay, and I want to know if they sell that in south africa, I googled it and they say it comes in powder form, is that hw u eat it?
hello mel! I had never tried fuller in powder form! Chunks makes an awesom texture while eating it. In the earlier age multani mitti was used to detoxy waste material from the body and colon cleansing by boiling it and drinking or eating it in small amount it depends if fuller is pure earth or not what we used to eat and how it affects! You may simple go to google image and write multani mitti or fullers earth you will get their images and from where they are bought on the first page itself i tried to post images and a video here linking via youtube regarding benfits of fuller and few images bt its not posting here.. Multani mitti is basicly used for face masks and curing aches
Mel

South Africa

#2776 Nov 22, 2012
Hi mehh,

Wat clay do u eat?
clay junkie

UK

#2777 Nov 22, 2012
MavuSeller wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember my mum used to eat it in Zim! When we came to the UK around about the same time I started eating mavu she would ask relatives to bring both the clay and the anthill soil. I've always stayed true to the mavu but when it was finished and there was just the anthill I would just go for that as it was sooooo red and earthy, I think that was due to it being baked in the sun. The only problem I had with it was how many little stones it had in it!!! Soooo annoying but it was worth it lol not to mention it didn't leave you with the tell tale circle of clay around your mouth that mavu left!
BUT a few years ago I was watching this animal documentary and it actually showed a timelapse of how the ants make the anthill! Basically they collect soil and use their saliva to stick it together!! Totally put me off!! Things like that make my skin crawl! But now I pretty much have an unlimited supply so no more anthills for me!
Lol! Hey mavu, looks like its the saliva that spiced it up! true about the stones though but touch wood they were delicious.
scared-one

Morocco

#2778 Nov 22, 2012
I must say am now addicted to the forum, its like my second facebook now and can't seem to get off the page, always enjoying the posts and some of the comments and vidoes and pics, most are so mouthwatering!, makes me want to taste all these different types of clay i've not yet tried...I wish the attitude towards eating it was different though so we can freely have it in public cuz here i am in the bus stop and i usually have some in my bag even when i go to school and the craving is strong sometimes when i am around people and you should see me always trying to put a piece in my mouth without anyone seeing it and then i have to use my front teeth to chew on it discretely so as not to make the crunchy sound before letting it melt in my mouth, yummy! but then again am always worried about it not showing around my mouth since its so white and very noticeable and whenever it does people start looking at me weirdly and i feel ashamed then cuz people here don't know this delicacy ... but i guess the trouble we go through to get it and all this makes it more enjoyable.
have a wonderful weekend ahead everyone!
ackee

Bronx, NY

#2779 Nov 22, 2012
hi angela I sent you an E-mail. hope you still have the same one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should food stamps be used to buy soda and cand... 17 hr Mary-Frances 2
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Aug 15 Tex- 13
News Raising a vegan baby: Parents say abuse cases g... (Oct '16) Aug 2 Wee 2
News Free meals available to all Livingston Parish p... Jul 26 uchrisbrownq 1
News Defeat insomnia and sleep easy with these top f... (Oct '13) Jul '17 socialchris 7
News Welfare cheats need not apply Jul '17 Our welfare state 11
News Nation-Now 40 mins ago 6:50 a.m.Tennessee bill:... (Jan '17) Jul '17 Fat mama 3
More from around the web