Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

free samples

Raleigh, NC

#2204 Sep 15, 2012
Craving Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries hon!8755
You shouldnt be embarrassed! Apart from God, doctors are the next people we should be embarrassed of speaking to, they are there to help. Thousands if not millions of people globally have geophagy (craving earth). So next time, dont hold bsck! Visit your doc.
Go to facebook. type in " reddirt forsale". There you can purchase red clay or red dirt. It is very clean. Ask for a free sample!!!
gebe

Sioux City, IA

#2205 Sep 16, 2012
free samples wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to facebook. type in " reddirt forsale". There you can purchase red clay or red dirt. It is very clean. Ask for a free sample!!!
ok you said it is very clean how can you say that its dirt. I got a sample from you an it don't thick up like clay so I take it as dirt?
free samples

Raleigh, NC

#2206 Sep 16, 2012
gebe wrote:
<quoted text> ok you said it is very clean how can you say that its dirt. I got a sample from you an it don't thick up like clay so I take it as dirt?
There are different kinds of clays like I stated before. I will send you another FREE sample of thicker, darker more richer clay if you would like????
mary

Sioux City, IA

#2207 Sep 16, 2012
Lady's don't eat the sample you got because it is sand mostly. I ask for a sample to study it an as one of you lady's ask if it has been under the fire the answer is no.. this dirt can cut your stomach up because of the high amount of sand.. so if you got dirt from her throw it away or be ready to be in pain.. if you got clay from her diffrent story.
free samples

Raleigh, NC

#2208 Sep 16, 2012
mary wrote:
Lady's don't eat the sample you got because it is sand mostly. I ask for a sample to study it an as one of you lady's ask if it has been under the fire the answer is no.. this dirt can cut your stomach up because of the high amount of sand.. so if you got dirt from her throw it away or be ready to be in pain.. if you got clay from her diffrent story.
First of all, this is not true. I am really appalled that you wrote that. I would never send people sand. I sent you a free sample at MY own expense. If you didn't like it thats fine-don't buy it.

But to LIE and slander my product is a different thing. Thats why I send samples because people can say anything about your product. I even went as far as to offer you another different free sample.

You commented on the fact that I didn't put it in fire. A lot of people do not like that burnt taste. Some people put it in paper bags to dry, & some people want to bake it in the oven THEMSELVES. That's to their discretion -Not mine.

In closing, my product is 100% genuine clay or dirt!!!!! Again if ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ask for a free sample & try for yourself. I have VERY satisfied customers.
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2209 Sep 16, 2012
Free samples, I know it is hard to ignore that comment. You truly are trying to answer everyone's questions. It was nice of you to send samples to those who were unsure. You did not have to do that. It was a sample to see if they like it or not. To each his own .
adaku

UK

#2210 Sep 16, 2012
This is simple,you either like or dont like it.if you are okay with it buy,if not just leave it.
mary

Sioux City, IA

#2211 Sep 16, 2012
ackee wrote:
Free samples, I know it is hard to ignore that comment. You truly are trying to answer everyone's questions. It was nice of you to send samples to those who were unsure. You did not have to do that. It was a sample to see if they like it or not. To each his own .
did you get a free sample? If you didn't then shut up. Ackee need to stop get in other people convo. Now what I did say an you can take it yourself to your own health department an get it tested. It is not clay its dirt an if you would have did your study on red dirt it has high amount of sand in it an sand can cut your stomach up.. so Ackee shut up if you don't know. It could help someone.
gabe

Sioux City, IA

#2212 Sep 16, 2012
OMG. This is crazy why do the people on here word fight each other? Some things you don't need to type back on. I understand if the lady said she was helping someone but let that be it.. I have read past post an its the same two people. I see why most of the people left. It dirt or clay how clean can it be..
adaku

UK

#2213 Sep 16, 2012
Awwwwww,mary that was a little bit too much....for me its really not great when we trade words here.we can put across our points without hassles.you have given your input which i think Some pple will appreciate but then as adults its up to everyone to make their decision,im not a red clay person and even before i eat clay often times i preheat,other pple have their own ways of treating and eating clay.on a personal note i think eating clay isnt such a great habit,but i do it(moderately) now...my point is we can pass across our messages and opinions graciously
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2214 Sep 16, 2012
I did not put my comments on here to start an argument. I did not say anything negative towards Mary. All I commented on was that she was trying to answer everyone's question and that was a good thing. Thus had nothing to do with what you said. I am a peaceful person and so i will remain. God bless everyone.
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2215 Sep 16, 2012
If you read any of my comments. They are not condescending or negative. I do not tell people to shut up. Well I wish everyone peace.
mary

Sioux City, IA

#2216 Sep 16, 2012
adaku wrote:
Awwwwww,mary that was a little bit too much....for me its really not great when we trade words here.we can put across our points without hassles.you have given your input which i think Some pple will appreciate but then as adults its up to everyone to make their decision,im not a red clay person and even before i eat clay often times i preheat,other pple have their own ways of treating and eating clay.on a personal note i think eating clay isnt such a great habit,but i do it(moderately) now...my point is we can pass across our messages and opinions graciously
Then shut up if you don't know then just stop..
mary

Sioux City, IA

#2217 Sep 16, 2012
ackee wrote:
I did not put my comments on here to start an argument. I did not say anything negative towards Mary. All I commented on was that she was trying to answer everyone's question and that was a good thing. Thus had nothing to do with what you said. I am a peaceful person and so i will remain. God bless everyone.
what did you put it on here for Ackee?
mary

Sioux City, IA

#2218 Sep 16, 2012
ackee wrote:
If you read any of my comments. They are not condescending or negative. I do not tell people to shut up. Well I wish everyone peace.
you don't have to tell people to shut up but I did. Now I did go back an see that you an the other lady do but in a lot. An if you don't eat red clay then you do need to shut up because I do for years. Now she said she had red clay an dirt she only sent out dirt. How many on here say they eat dirt? None from the post I read all talk about clay ice cornstarch not dirt. If you look it up you will see that red dirt is high in sand. Eating sand can hurt you really bad its not like red clay. I don't have to lie on this lady. Free sample or not its not safe to eat..
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#2219 Sep 16, 2012
I think part of the problem is that "free samples" uses the words "clay" and "dirt" and it isn't entirely clear what she means. I guess many will assume that she used the word dirt like we use white dirt - i.e. that everything she is selling is real clay. But is that the case? In other words, are the words dirt and clay descriptive of the same product or are they two different things? She makes clear that there are at least two types of what she sells, but how many different type things are there altogether and is it all in fact real clay?

She also hasn't said where it comes from. I have asked twice whether it comes from out of the ground or where and I don't see an answer. For all we know it could be topsoil, which I wouldn't want (and before anyone attacks me I'm NOT saying it is, I'm just saying for all we know it could be - especially due to what Mary has said).

Another problem I have is that when the seller first came on here she posted about a dozen times one right after the next and seemed to have two different personas - she seemed to be the seller and then in other posts referred to a 'lady' selling as if it was someone else. That made me wary.

I can't blame Mary for warning us if its true that she has tested it and the product sent is mostly sand. Let's face it, a lot of us on here are so desperate to satisfy the crave that we take risks by trying anything sent by anybody so I'm sure she's only trying to help by giving a warning if she truly believes that it could be harmful.

I'll be blunt: another concern I had is because the seller just seemed to pop up all of a sudden on here and on other pica websites. I've seen where she says she is a big clay eater herself yet she doesn't appear to have a history here or on the other websites. In addition she says she has been selling for years but to me it seems surprising that none of her existing customers seem to be on this site or on any of the others that she's been posting on. Due to this controversy it would be helpful if she were able to give some sort of reference other than herself!

Free samples: I would suggest that you come back on and tell us clearly where the clay/dirt comes from, respond to all that I say above, and provide any other info that you think might make it clear what exactly you are selling and why you are confident that it is a good product.

I'm not here to fight with anybody, but I think the above are valid concerns. So come on 'Free Samples'- help us out by fully answering please. You would be helping yourself too.
gabe

Sioux City, IA

#2220 Sep 16, 2012
ackee wrote:
LOL you people are funny on here really you are. If you have pica an eat clay you should know not all clay is food grade right? Right I understand what Mary was saying an I did not think she was being mean I agree you did not have to say anything but you felt like you had to an you did. An what question did she answer? I see people ask as I did question an none thing but when the shoot down the stuff she sale she come in.. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW
adaku

Burton-on-trent, UK

#2221 Sep 16, 2012
Mary honestly i dont understand Why it is so HARD for you to just say What you have to say without being unnecessarily nasty.who is disputing your findings?whats the aggression about?you may have eaten clay or watever for years that is not the point,just bé civil thats all,really dont get it.
free samples

Raleigh, NC

#2222 Sep 16, 2012
I REALLY believe in PEACE & Harmony. We all share a common bond of this "addiction". We are here to support each other.

Glebe, Gabe, Ackee, Mary, & Adaku please send me your addresses to my email address [email protected] & I would be happy to send you all FREE sample to judge for yourselves.

Agaain to the lady who was not satisfied I will be happy to send you another different sample at my expense.

Ackee & Adaku thank you for your kind comments.
free samples

Raleigh, NC

#2223 Sep 16, 2012
I have stated several times on Facebook, my personal email, and my home phone number that i am from North Carolina.

I collect my 2 types of soil Clay & dirt from my families personal property. This is several acres. I dig at least 6 inches deep. Scientists and studies show this helps to avoid toxins, parasites, and bacteria. I also taste & eat this soil myself. This is not topsoil. Please google these articles from the NY Times, ABC, & CBS news articles.

The lady from DYERSBURG. TN received her sample from me Yesterday (Saturday according to her own BLOG). She states she got it, tasted it, put in a bag, sent it to health department for testing, and got results back all that day. SURE!!!!!

I invite ANYONE to test my samples against anybody elses for SAND content.

Again, this is why I send Free samples. I am spending MY money. If you are that curious I invite you to ask for a sample. Try it, test it, throw it away, or like EVERYBODY except the lady, you'll LOVE it!!!!

I send Samples MONDAY, WEDNESDAY & FRIDAY.

I HOPE THIS ANSWERS ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS.

IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT POSITIVE BENEFITS OR NEGATIVES ABOUT EATING CLAY "GEOPHAGY" PLEASE GOOGLE IT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Q&A with... Dr. Wendy Wolfson, a board-certifie... 5 hr humanspirit 1
News A Comforting Breakfast to Savor this Season Nov 15 GAG 1
News Nation-Now 44 mins ago 1:43 p.m.The long, stran... Nov 10 Ex Senator Stillb... 1
News To bear healthy babies (Oct '08) Oct 23 CaDad 3
News Food4Kids has local drop-off point (Dec '13) Oct 19 Gtown Bread Basket 3
News SoCal company recalls Liquimax vitamins (Jul '08) Oct '17 Sindi 34
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... (Mar '15) Sep '17 wow 13
More from around the web