Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9210 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2036 Aug 22, 2012
Charm

Well I hope it is what you are looking for. Have you always wanted to eat these stones. If you have never had white dirt before you might have to eat it for awhile. That is how it was for me at first. As i began to eat more I began to enjoy it. I hope you get it. I have never seen sandstones. I always think they would be too hard to chew. I did not know Jamaica had this clay in river beds.
Chalk lover

Northampton, UK

#2037 Aug 23, 2012
Hi all,
I went to post some clay yesterday and the postage was actually cheaper than it says on the website. Due to the new letter size system, the padded envelop I package the clay in, fits into the 'lager letter' size (when the lady at the post office desk tried to put it through). So, it only cost 90p!!! for postage. Not the £2.20/2.70 what I quoted in an earlier post. I have managed to fit 6 bags if the Nzu cylinder shaped clay into 1 padded envelop. So 6 bags of clay (4 pieces in each bag) at only 90p postage!!!. Each bag cost £2.00.
This only applies to the UK though. Anyone who would like this elsewhere, I'd have to ask at the post office direct - instead of looking online.

Hope this helps - as postage was quite high before.

God bless
Chalk lover

Northampton, UK

#2038 Aug 23, 2012
CHARM wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL I JUST MISSED MY FIRST DELIVERY FROM GEORGIA WHITE DIRT TODAY.
UGGHH! I WAS A SANDSTONE EATER FOR YEARS UNTIL THIS PAST APRIL I WENT TO JAMAICA AND TRIED THE STONES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RIVER AND THEY WERE ADDICTING. THESE STONES WERE MADE UP OF ALL CLAY AND CAN BE BROKEN WITH THE FINGERS. TO GET THE BEST TASTE I LET THEM DRY FOR A FEW DAYS AND THEN I WAS ABLE TO TASTE THE REAL EARTH. I CAME BACK TO NEW YORK AND HAVE BEEN FIXATED ON THEM SINCE. DUE TO MY CRAVING FOR THESE STONES, I GOOGLED CLAY AND CAME ACROSS THIS SITE AND I HAVE BEEN HOOKED READING OTHER PEOPLES STORIES. ON THURSDAY OF LAST WEEK I PLACED NY FIRST ORDER TO TRY TO EXPERIENCE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN TASTING AND I WAS NOT HOME FOR DELIVERY TODAY.:(
Hi Charm, that Jamaican clay sounds nice. What river was it? and what part of Jamaica? I think most people on this site are looking for clay that is earthy - just like you have described.
Chalk lover

Northampton, UK

#2039 Aug 23, 2012
Sorry all, I got carried away - I forgot that more bags means more weight thus more postage costs.
Here is all the correct costing for bags of Nzu clay:

1 bag = 90p 1st class/69p 2nd class
2 bags =£1.20 1st class/£1.10 2nd class
3 bags = same as 2 bags for postage
4 bags =£1.60 1st class/£1.40 2nd class
5 bags = same as 4 bags
6 bags = same as 4 bags

This only applies to the UK and remember that each bag cost £2.00

Hope this is a lot clearer.

God bless
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2040 Aug 23, 2012
ackee wrote:
Charm
Well I hope it is what you are looking for. Have you always wanted to eat these stones. If you have never had white dirt before you might have to eat it for awhile. That is how it was for me at first. As i began to eat more I began to enjoy it. I hope you get it. I have never seen sandstones. I always think they would be too hard to chew. I did not know Jamaica had this clay in river beds.
i started eating stones when i was about 11 years old and now im 34.i hope ups brings my package today because i cant wait to try it.
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2041 Aug 23, 2012
Chalk lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Charm, that Jamaican clay sounds nice. What river was it? and what part of Jamaica? I think most people on this site are looking for clay that is earthy - just like you have described.
it was the rio grande river in portland.
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2042 Aug 23, 2012
CHARM wrote:
<quoted text>
it was the rio grande river in portland.
Did you have a craving at that age to eat stones? What made you decide you would eat it? Where did you get your stones from? I am interested to know. That is a pretty young age.
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2043 Aug 23, 2012
IT WAS TRIGGERED BY RAINFALL HITTING THE HOT EARTH. I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL IN JAMAICA AND THERE WAS A DIRT TRACK ON THE CAMPUS WITH A LOT OF SANDSTONE PEBBLES AND I GOT MY FISRT SUPPLY FROM THERE.
adaku

UK

#2044 Aug 23, 2012
CHARM wrote:
IT WAS TRIGGERED BY RAINFALL HITTING THE HOT EARTH. I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL IN JAMAICA AND THERE WAS A DIRT TRACK ON THE CAMPUS WITH A LOT OF SANDSTONE PEBBLES AND I GOT MY FISRT SUPPLY FROM THERE.
Hey charm,do people crave stones in Jamaica?
defny

Europe

#2045 Aug 23, 2012
I started eating it mnths back,i went to the doctor and was told to take iron supplements,since its said to be an anemia deficiency related issue-So not true,it turned out to be for me,because the pills almost killed me after taking them in 2days....Til nw i get the urge and i have to eat it,though it causes massive constipation,i always have meds for that....But what worries me nw is deep in me,i think its so spritual and i need deliverance from these cravings.
adaku

UK

#2046 Aug 23, 2012
defny wrote:
I started eating it mnths back,i went to the doctor and was told to take iron supplements,since its said to be an anemia deficiency related issue-So not true,it turned out to be for me,because the pills almost killed me after taking them in 2days....Til nw i get the urge and i have to eat it,though it causes massive constipation,i always have meds for that....But what worries me nw is deep in me,i think its so spritual and i need deliverance from these cravings.
i totally understand you becos at Some point,i tied my crave to Some form of spirituality,i eat the nigerian type and that is gotten from river banks and it made think that there might bé a marine connection.....it dòesnt sound logical but then how do i account for a crave so strong,for yearssss,i was so addicted and not even constipation can stop me.then i tried iron tabs but at the time it dint work probably becos i wasnt consistent.just a couple of months i decided to give iron another try and for the first time in many years of addiction i did not crave clay,i passed By my stores many times but the kick was gone!i have been off iron for a while and i did treat myself to Some stones a couple of days back,but this time,i was more in control.i bought just 8pieces and did not go back for more!this for me was huge considering the fact that i could Finish 1kg in. Less than 48hrs.so you are not alone on this,someday you will find a way around it.....welcome to the fòrum
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2047 Aug 23, 2012
adaku wrote:
<quoted text>Hey charm,do people crave stones in Jamaica?
NOT THAT I KNOW OF. THINK ITS AN INDIVIDUAL THING. NOONE BUT MY MOM KNEW ABOUT IT... NOT EVEN MY DAD. I ALSO USED TO EAT PIECES OF MY CLAY POTS AFTER THEY DRIED WHEN I HAD ART CLASS. WHAT I DO KNOW THAT SOME WOMEN ATE BABY POWDER, ASH FROM COAL STOVE, MILK POWDER, ICE AND EVEN DIRT WHEN THEY WERE PREGNANT. I WAS TOO ASHAMED AND STILL IS TO OPEN UP ABOUT MY STONEATING.
mzlibra

United States

#2048 Aug 23, 2012
Well everyone I finished my white dirt on yesterday....it was good while it lasted. I fought off my cornstarch cravings today and didn't buy any....its been 30 days without it. 2lbs of white dirt gone, the clay was good but I still miss my cornstarch
Mary Tyler

Bridge City, TX

#2049 Aug 23, 2012
I live in Houston Texas i order 60/40 light or medium sand from a sand pit ...and when they dump the load in the yard.. I spread it out in my yard and i pick all the gray clay out the sand ...Let it dry out if it wet...I IS delicious
Chalk lover

Northampton, UK

#2050 Aug 24, 2012
adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i totally understand you becos at Some point,i tied my crave to Some form of spirituality,i eat the nigerian type and that is gotten from river banks and it made think that there might bé a marine connection.....it dòesnt sound logical but then how do i account for a crave so strong,for yearssss,i was so addicted and not even constipation can stop me.then i tried iron tabs but at the time it dint work probably becos i wasnt consistent.just a couple of months i decided to give iron another try and for the first time in many years of addiction i did not crave clay,i passed By my stores many times but the kick was gone!i have been off iron for a while and i did treat myself to Some stones a couple of days back,but this time,i was more in control.i bought just 8pieces and did not go back for more!this for me was huge considering the fact that i could Finish 1kg in. Less than 48hrs.so you are not alone on this,someday you will find a way around it.....welcome to the fòrum
Hi Adaku, may I just say that I really like the way you are very supportive and encouraging to everyone. Kind words are always a blessing.
Can I also ask where you get your clay from, as i would like to try some. Would you be able to post some to me? Just let me know how much it would cost for the clay and postage. You can email me on [email protected]
Hope to hear from you.

God bless
Anonymous

Bronx, NY

#2052 Aug 24, 2012
It would appear that eating clay is far reaching. Many cultures share in this desire to eat clay. We do get a lot of minerals form the earth. For those who lack certain minerals I can see why they eat clay. It satisfies what the body craves. It is good to a certain degree. When we over do it as with anything it can be disastrous. I have been nibbling on a little clay now and then . I have not had any serious cravings or issues.
mzlibra

United States

#2053 Aug 24, 2012
Hi everyone! Now that all my white dirt is gone I'm like what's next? Do I order more or go back to cornstarch. Its funny bcuz I enjoy the texture of the clay/dirt once it became moist in my mouth like my cornstarch. Having to crunch it down was ok but the dryness of it like cornstarch I enjoyed.......it took abt two weeks to finish 2lbs of white dirt.....is that too much so fast?
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2054 Aug 25, 2012
Chalk lover wrote:
Sorry all, I got carried away - I forgot that more bags means more weight thus more postage costs.
Here is all the correct costing for bags of Nzu clay:
1 bag = 90p 1st class/69p 2nd class
2 bags =£1.20 1st class/£1.10 2nd class
3 bags = same as 2 bags for postage
4 bags =£1.60 1st class/£1.40 2nd class
5 bags = same as 4 bags
6 bags = same as 4 bags
This only applies to the UK and remember that each bag cost £2.00
Hope this is a lot clearer.
God bless
is the nzu salty? i would like to order from you.please e-mail me at [email protected]
CHARM

Brooklyn, NY

#2055 Aug 25, 2012
ackee wrote:
Charm
you're so right! got white dirt supply and i really dont like it. where's the earthy taste? i gotta have the earthy taste to be satisfied. i'm gonna try to order some of that nzu. hope its not salty. does anyone know if it is?
adaku

UK

#2056 Aug 25, 2012
CHARM wrote:
<quoted text>
you're so right! got white dirt supply and i really dont like it. where's the earthy taste? i gotta have the earthy taste to be satisfied. i'm gonna try to order some of that nzu. hope its not salty. does anyone know if it is?
well charm it is salty,if you havent tasted it b4,yu will bé put offfff.the ghana type aint got salt,so that might bé yur best bet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fewer students eat school lunches as menus get ... Aug 20 Serratus Anterior 26
News 5 Nutrition Trends Found at NRA Show 2016 Aug 17 Serratus Anterior 4
News Fat is back: New guidelines give vilified nutri... (Jun '15) Aug 16 Serratus Anterior 3
News Food for Life's virtual drive strives to put fo... Aug 4 will Drought affe... 1
News Wellness Committee of Thousand Oaks Presents "1... Jul 26 Udo 1
News Judge Calls State Incompetent & in Contempt Jul '16 justice is just a... 1
News What parents need to know about gummy vitamins Jul '16 mar 1
More from around the web