How much to feed a family of four?

May 1, 2013 Full story: KSDK-TV Saint Louis 16

Shopping with a list, buying items on sale and sticking with fruits in season are three budget tips.

Full Story

Since: Oct 08

Middlesex, NY

#1 May 2, 2013
We have 2 adults and 1 19 yr old college boy, a small dog and 3 cats in our home. Groceries run me between $250 and $300 a week. I do not buy soda, snacks, fatty meats, or much processed foods (except granola).
I have no idea how kids are making these days. I do know that I'm always helping my older daughters out, which I do NOT mind. That's what family is for.
For ex., my daughter has 2 children and a very steady boyfriend (with a job!), she works in family court area, managed to get her Masters Degree while working and raising the kids.
Yet the pay around here is terrible. I just offered yesterday to get the kids some summer clothes so the rest of them can eat and she can have gas in her car.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#2 May 2, 2013
The best nutrition advice I recieved was from a Dr that was leaving public sector and going Federal with his medical practice. He was the Doctor that gave me lazer brain surgery in 1977 my father was on the phone for phone conference surgery assistence at MEriter when he worked at The Car Dealership up the street as a mechanic.

What does the dietary plan look like?
What is a normal meal plan for the day?

NOT the cafeteria food purchase, what a patient recieves in a hosital room IS The legal dose of food per meal a day plan.

I feel like a bloated fool.

I have a brain and head injury so forget from time to time.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#3 May 7, 2013
T Turner wrote:
We have 2 adults and 1 19 yr old college boy, a small dog and 3 cats in our home. Groceries run me between $250 and $300 a week. I do not buy soda, snacks, fatty meats, or much processed foods (except granola).
I have no idea how kids are making these days. I do know that I'm always helping my older daughters out, which I do NOT mind. That's what family is for.
For ex., my daughter has 2 children and a very steady boyfriend (with a job!), she works in family court area, managed to get her Masters Degree while working and raising the kids.
Yet the pay around here is terrible. I just offered yesterday to get the kids some summer clothes so the rest of them can eat and she can have gas in her car.
When you ssay 'groceries', you probably meand grocery stor bill, that would include a lot more than groceries.
Pet food surely, and that is not groceries.
Food stamps for 3 based on zero income is $526 per month.
Based on ages, no WIC or free school lunches.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#4 May 7, 2013
T Turner wrote:
I have a family of 5. Both me and my husband work. Make a pretty decent amount. We have 3 boys; 13, 8, and 4. I shop in Wal-Mart, BJ's and Shoprite supermarket. I spend about $550-$600 a month on groceries. That does include cat food, cat litter, and personal hygiene items.
World coming down

United States

#5 May 7, 2013
I've got a family of 3 and one dog....we are starting to struggle. I keep getting taxed to death. This is a declaration of war against the people. Abusive officials, greed, corruption. When will the people have enough?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#6 May 7, 2013
World coming down wrote:
I've got a family of 3 and one dog....we are starting to struggle. I keep getting taxed to death. This is a declaration of war against the people. Abusive officials, greed, corruption. When will the people have enough?
Taxed to death, and getting my hours cut. According to NY state, our income can support 8, which is ridiculous. I don't have insurance, can't afford it from my company. My kids are covered through the state's health plan and has an affordable plan. I can't get sick, can't afford it.
But this is crazy, it's a struggle to do the basics now, nothing fancy, just living comfortably-you know, a higher standard than being a bum, a little lower standard than having steak every night (even though we don't eat beef).
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#7 May 7, 2013
higher standard then being a BUM? If you MADE a life by law when you release them they are to recieve 25% of your accounts regardless of marriage or not. If you did not, you can sue yoru parents for 17% of their income like child support, married family or not the child gets 17% of your gross income on a monthly basis, you can not cheapen a childs life below that level. They own your home accoutns and debt and you can go to prison when they find the law and sit with DA and Judge in after hours bank consult room to do a life debt consoldation suit agaisnt parent.

Who are you to indicate BUM rich compared to your familiars. Just ignorent to law and life finance havent met the right women that care for themselves or their partner nor children they are about to bring into life. FILTH

I waited Im 44 now and the men of town say your not that type, you are a light wieght with head injury and leave with trash, when you get your head fixed and do your hair and get your finance we will be their but you cant move ontop and these women love to do it and please a man, yoru to serious and contraversal and refuse delbauchery they expertise in delbauchery and as long as they are ignorent to the word and laws, we are going to play it till they cant move no more.

I didnt want that trash secter either they died of rot in a stretched nerve and muscle cord fluid leak from penal erectus and caused brain death thinkig they werte horney and got gang green inside out instead to late for a doctor to detect. SICK Others penis was 3 inches as a result of grandfathers sex crimes and was casterated to unik ironic isn't it. Others to large for the human body, 4 1/2 was sufficient no more then 5 unless DR measured interior, women can get a uteris dislodgement and suffer gang green and hemorage, drs may not be able to detect in time, and a bladder leak causing blood poisening they can see the bruising but wives want big cock for the numbing pulse for 2 weeks after sex for masterbation in solitude without spouse so sex is less frequent and they seek paid oral sex partisipants form memberships during day hours to gratify since a decent legal man would no it is illegal oral fixiation breeches delbauchery laws gorunds to DIVORCE and win custody of kids

If child eats at school they served more at school then legal limiotes of food and water per day did you feed them a vitamin,(FULL DAY FOOD SUPPLIMENT) and food at home to ABUSE lock yourself up unfit parent cant read label and permitted 2 weeks food digenstion in one day time, ignorent f'n american society
Politically Incorrect

United States

#8 May 7, 2013
Jaimie....what the hell did you try to say? You made no sense and aweful sentence structure. Not being mean but I just do not get what you're saying
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#9 May 8, 2013
Politically Incorrect wrote:
Jaimie....what the hell did you try to say? You made no sense and aweful sentence structure. Not being mean but I just do not get what you're saying
It must not have pertained to YOU personally, so deeming it irrelevant(w/blatent disregard) would not hurt my feelings any.

In a shouting match or debate sentence structure did not have formalities either, although for a well articulated sentnence regardless run on or not it is worth $25,000 spoken not spelled.
Politically incorrect

United States

#10 May 8, 2013
Huh?

Corfu, NY

#11 May 14, 2013
BeHereNow wrote:
<quoted text>When you ssay 'groceries', you probably meand grocery stor bill, that would include a lot more than groceries.
Pet food surely, and that is not groceries.
Food stamps for 3 based on zero income is $526 per month.
Based on ages, no WIC or free school lunches.
Yes, you are correct. Pets, cleaning supplies are included in that total.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#12 May 14, 2013
T Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are correct. Pets, cleaning supplies are included in that total.

Pets to the poor me martyr plot, Purchase a pet and life insurence policy and leave the window open... The investigators on pet policies is bigger then people policy. Prison is longer as a result the dna of animal to human and contrast causes psychological and chemical defect dog think its sissy sissy is stuck in a micro -bug in carpet relentering body in five years hating you all and wanted to be adupted out of family Wonderful studies and prison on cirmes of these magnitudes for negligence to life mind and existence alone and making or aquiring additional house members as pet or child IDIOTS

Corfu, NY

#13 May 15, 2013
I think it might be pill time Jamie.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#14 May 15, 2013
T Turner wrote:
I think it might be pill time Jamie.
That is all the feds asked of all of you. Broken pelvics, broken necks RN in Hosptials have secret newslaetters of all GORSS NEGLIGENCE and homocide of all your homes and children death and retardation NOT MINE Permitting a child to walk the plank on the cat walk and fell down while the policies were out, blowing kisses at the dog tryign to fund the next award show

DOGGY BUTT SCOUTS all over carpet kid goes brian dead with ring worm and hand foot mouth disease, mind lis lost in a wake coma thinking it is the BUG enzigmne in doggy butt scout juice and is retarded for over five years and then you put the coma kid on drugs to calm the DOG DOWN INSIDE OF IT OR THE BUG BRIAN and rendered brain dead by drug overdose for misclassification BEG FOR EUTHINISMS in the local prison PLEASE do yoru kids a favor YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLER SICK PSYCHOS
The Joker

United States

#15 May 15, 2013
Jaimie, you seriously robot make any sense

Corfu, NY

#16 May 16, 2013
Someone needs to alert the psych and police authority in Madison Wisconsin before Jaimie really goes off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fitness Icon Denise Austin Introduces New 10-We... 3 hr DeniseAustinFan 1
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 11 hr crazy 4stuff 8,763
7 things to know about epilepsy Wed DeeDee86 2
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Dec 16 ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) Dec 6 Earthling-1 101
More from around the web