Report Urges Food Stamp Program To Clarify Purchases, Corporate Profits

Full story: WGBH 8
The public really doesn't know much about what food stamp recipients are buying, and how much companies are profiting. Full Story

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#1 Jun 14, 2012
I live in CT.
I was at rite-aid the other day to get some nail polish, and decided to get a couple of sodas and a hershey bar.
according to the receipt, the sodas and candy bar were all food stamp eligible.
I'm a big supporter of SNAP, people need help, and if they've been laid off due to a downturn in the economy, and they've paid into the system for a number of years, I see no reason not to help them.
that being said; candy bars and sodas?
really?
there needs to be a REAL investigation into what people are buying with their SNAP cards.
and the TRULY needy would agree.
citizen

Buffalo, NY

#2 Jun 14, 2012
anneutral wrote:
I live in CT.
I was at rite-aid the other day to get some nail polish, and decided to get a couple of sodas and a hershey bar.
I'm a big supporter of SNAP, people need help, and if they've been laid off due to a downturn in the economy, and they've paid into the system for a number of years, I see no reason not to help them.
really?
there needs to be a REAL investigation into what people are buying with their SNAP cards.
here in buffalo they go to any arab owned store and can get beer or smokes and even money on their cardsof the the stores charge them a huge price for this
some day

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 14, 2012
The food program for the poor needs to swing away from the retail level and go back to govt warehoused rice, pasta, bread, milk, cheese, ground beef staples like it used to do.

At the retail level it's just defrauded by users and greedy merchants both. That will never change without serious supply side changes. When the US gives food aid to a poor country, they do not get a check to cash at walmart and buy what they want, they get the staples shipped to them in bulk.

“your life is great”

you poop in clean water

#4 Jun 14, 2012
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>here in buffalo they go to any arab owned store and can get beer or smokes and even money on their cardsof the the stores charge them a huge price for this
and that is EXACTLY why there needs to be an audit.
truly needy people are being lumped in with people like that, it's ridiculous.
SNAP cards should be good for "perimeter" items, and real food-stuffs, not junk food and vice products.
(I'm a firm supporter of a sin-tax being attached to pre-prepared food, snacks and soda. it's actually cheaper to purchase produce and prepare food than it is to buy a frozen dinner)
Buck Rohde

Buffalo, NY

#5 Jun 14, 2012
anneutral wrote:
I live in CT.
really?
THE government should audit where the real money is going, like perks in Congress and huge amounts going for foreign aid.

“your life is great”

you poop in clean water

#6 Jun 14, 2012
some day wrote:
The food program for the poor needs to swing away from the retail level and go back to govt warehoused rice, pasta, bread, milk, cheese, ground beef staples like it used to do.
At the retail level it's just defrauded by users and greedy merchants both. That will never change without serious supply side changes. When the US gives food aid to a poor country, they do not get a check to cash at walmart and buy what they want, they get the staples shipped to them in bulk.
we used to get that cheese, that stuff was awesome!

“your life is great”

you poop in clean water

#7 Jun 14, 2012
Buck Rohde wrote:
<quoted text>
THE government should audit where the real money is going, like perks in Congress and huge amounts going for foreign aid.
well......, that'll never happen.
too much money can't be accounted for, and they know it, so they really can't risk an international incident through an internal audit of the government.
heck, it took Bernie Sanders almost a decade to get the federal reserve to open their books, which showed trillions of dollars unaccounted for.
Buck Rohde

Buffalo, NY

#8 Jun 14, 2012
some day wrote:
That warehoused food is junk itself and not much better than pop and candy bars. I can see going after those Arabs buying those benefits at a discount, but who cares what those people eat with their benefits?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 7 hr crazy 4stuff 8,763
7 things to know about epilepsy Wed DeeDee86 2
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Dec 16 ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) Dec 6 Earthling-1 101
Obesity can shave years off life: study Dec 6 Pebbles 1
More from around the web