Grossed out by holiday potlucks? Join the crowd

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The holiday potluck may seem like an innocent, inexpensive way to throw a party, where friends and colleagues can share favorite recipes, savor an unusual dish or indulge a sweet tooth.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
IhateSUVs

North Miami Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

This is so ridiculous ! A little germs won't hurt anyone for goodness sake. These people are over the top !

Since: Jun 08

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

Judged:

holiday potlucks gross me out .. a good day to go out to eat ...
Space Chimp

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

"I prefer it when hands haven't touched it that much, and I don't have to worry about the intellectual capability of the person making the dish."

For crying out loud, it's a potluck, not a job interview. Don't be a germaphobe. Just use common sense. Everything in moderation.
r u natutts

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Matty in Boca wrote:
holiday potlucks gross me out .. a good day to go out to eat ...
Restaurant employees mostly make 6 or 7 dollars a hour the wait staff get $2.14 a hour whos hands a cleaner and who cares about there hands more?
eger

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

I've worked in restaraunts, and let me tell you you are probably better off with pot luck. 3 second rules (drop food) and pick it up within 3 seconds it's fine. Drop it for longer, nobody notices, that is fine too. Being a jerk, well you just got your sandwich bun kicked across the floor, spit on..ect Last person to go through drive thru before they close. That upsets people trying to get out of there, well don't be surprised that the left over fries you got were soggy. They were just plucked out of the garbage.

I could go on and on.. I've been a witness to this behavior..

If you give people a hard time in drive thru your food is getting messed with.

If you go thru drive thru before they close, you are getting old or messed up food.

If you return your food for being too cold people always fear your food getting messed with. Not true, the Manager usually handles these orders. Now if you give your waitress a hard time she will mess with your food. I've even witnessed servers eating or picking at food on the expo line waiting to be served.
VoR

Clinton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

Seriously, must be the slowest news day on record to warrant a two page article dedicated to the whinings of Rachael. You know, if you don't want to participate then don't go or go to socialize and forget about the food that fellow party goers went out of their way to create and share. Don't pick apart the efforts of others over your own paranoid hangups. Anyway restaurant and grocery store kitchens are always immaculate and the worker's never have dirty hands or hairs on their clothes. Geez
all employees

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

must wash their hands after using the restrooms unless you have learned not to pee on your hands.

“Don't stop”

Since: Sep 08

Keep on 'til the break O dawn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

Judged:

The author should eat whipped cream off body parts - wearing a blindfold - it will help her lighten up!
Leafblower Alien

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

all employees wrote:
must wash their hands after using the restrooms unless you have learned not to pee on your hands.
Washing hands is for #2, not #1. Pee is generally sterile and harmless.
Just a THOUGHT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Leafblower Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah DOOOSH? Open W I D E!!!!
Funny

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Judged:

some people pay for that!
BobbieH

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

This is one of the most ridiculous articles I ever read. These paranoid, neurotic germaphobes need psychiatric help.
AC Green

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

IhateSUVs wrote:
This is so ridiculous ! A little germs won't hurt anyone for goodness sake. These people are over the top !
If you see the same person come out of a pooper from time to time and never wash their hands...then that same moron has a nice entree...would you eat their food??? No way. Me and my co-workers see this kind of stuff and tell each other b/c we work tech support and often have to go to their desk at work. I do it all remotely and NEVER touch anything these disgusting people go near.
Also what about the guy with tons of dog and cat hair, you don't think this makes it into their food. yuckkkk
not in fla

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

eger wrote:
I've worked in restaraunts, and let me tell you you are probably better off with pot luck. 3 second rules (drop food) and pick it up within 3 seconds it's fine. Drop it for longer, nobody notices, that is fine too. Being a jerk, well you just got your sandwich bun kicked across the floor, spit on..ect Last person to go through drive thru before they close. That upsets people trying to get out of there, well don't be surprised that the left over fries you got were soggy. They were just plucked out of the garbage.
I could go on and on.. I've been a witness to this behavior..
If you give people a hard time in drive thru your food is getting messed with.
If you go thru drive thru before they close, you are getting old or messed up food.
If you return your food for being too cold people always fear your food getting messed with. Not true, the Manager usually handles these orders. Now if you give your waitress a hard time she will mess with your food. I've even witnessed servers eating or picking at food on the expo line waiting to be served.
Eger -- That behavior is felony assault in a lot of states. Hope they don't get caught, because they WILL BE PROSECUTED FOR IT. AND THEY SHOULD.
Of course, some people have so little regard for themselves, why should they give a sh*t about anyone else? Eating out is gross. Disgusting. Filthy. I'll eat at home, thanks.
not in fla

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Leafblower Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
Pee is NOT STERILE. Ignorance and stupidity seem to go hand in hand.
Bed Head

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

We sat at the table by the kitchen in an Italian restaurant. They keep a towel and wipe the edges of the dishes. I don't eat there anymore. These days, I prefer to cook my own food. You will think restaurant food is better until you make your own with premium ingredients. And, no, I have never worked in a school cafeteria. I couldn't serve kids that gross slop and expect them to eat it.

In my world, parents would HAVE to provide a nutritious lunch for kids, packed at home. How much money could schools save by not having a cafeteria or selling packaged foods instead of that slop?
Roosters

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Have you ever eaten school lunches? I think I'd rather drink the milk and go hungry or bring something from home. It is worse than any pot luck although a lot of people do not know how to transport food and may leave it in their car. I usually tell people I'm too full, offer to take it home for later and throw it away (only if they insist on you trying it).

Go to the stir fry places where you can see the food being prepared.
THey also allow that at Buca, the Italian place. Can not stand buffets or places like Sweet Tomatoes. Yucky soup with mystery ingredients, diet desserts, and bowls and bowls of salad that all taste the same. I am very picky about my food.
Buzz fest

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Notice most great chefs are male. Why is that?
Mon Cherie

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

I am one of those who are very picky about food handling and preparation. I have quirks about eating in restaurants, but occasionally I still do. I try not to give it much thought because it would otherwise drive me crazy, lol. I avoid buffets because most of that stuff is deep fried or has a lot of preservatives in it, and I've witnessed kids dropping food and picking it up with their hands and putting in back in the food compartment. The people working in the kitchens probably have dropped food on the floor and put it back onto the plate. We can't know for sure what goes on in those restaurant kitchens. If you want to enjoy a pleasant dining experience, it helps to choose a restaurant you believe to be cleaner then others, and to remember to try and forget the worst possible scenario, lol. My hub laughs at me when we dine out because I wipe the silverware off before I use them. He said, "What good does that do when the food you're about to eat could have been dropped on the floor or sneezed on?" Yuk, lol, I try not to think about that. Anyway, it makes me feel a little better when I know I at least have clean silverware, lol. Also, my niece worked in a sports bar about 10 years ago. Some lady and her son were dining there and my niece said everyone heard this lady scream out. There were roaches crawling across her plate, eew. Another time, she said saw a server drop a burger on the floor and the manager got angry and told her to pick it up and put it back on the plate because he wasn't in the business of losing money! Goes to show that patrons can never know what goes on in those restaurant kitchens. I'm sure these incidents don't happen all the time or in every restaurant, but it's difficult to know. If you want to dine out and have a pleasant experience, it's best to not think about those things. Just the same, examine your food before eating, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••