Reducing carbon footprint

Reducing carbon footprint

There are 169 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Dec 23, 2010, titled Reducing carbon footprint. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Here we are at the holidays: rushing here, bustling there, visiting Grandma , buying presents, going to parties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
free

Dover, NH

#1 Dec 24, 2010
I never get tired of editorials that tell me how to live my life.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#2 Dec 24, 2010
free wrote:
In that case, you'll be over the Moon in the near future, as your life becomes more and more controlled.
flat lander

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#3 Dec 24, 2010
How great these "tellers" must be to not suggest but TELL or DEMAND what we do with our lives. To them I think of "Cut down another tree, put up another parking lot"
Joe

Burlington, VT

#4 Dec 24, 2010
http://refrigeratedtrans.com/mag/transportati...

The carbon footprint left by small inefficent backwoods farmers is probably higher than large producers even with the transportation added in. The product is harvested and hauled quickly across the country by dedicated unit trains and efficently distributed by large grocey chains.

That is why it's cheaper, less energy used to produce it and transport it.

The price of everything is 100% connected to the amount of energy used to produce it including the energy used by the labor force to stay alive and energy used to make equipment to grow and transport it. Farmer Browns little truck farm has a large amount of barely used quipment that all took lots of energy to produce and his supplies where brought in so energy used to get them.

The factory farms get high use out of their labor and equipment so overall use less energy per unit of production and even with the long haul to get it too market still use overall less energy.

Greenhouse grown tomatos cost a lot because they use more energy and labor to produce and get to market.

Canned tomatos and pasta is cheap food because of low energy content to produce and get to market.

simple minded fools don't ever see the bigger picture
Nancy Stardust

Barnet, VT

#5 Dec 24, 2010
Legislate that all new 2015 vehicles be electric or biodiesel. Build new nuclear power plants and other domestic low carbon base load electric power stations. This will lower our carbon footprint and reduce our national interest in foreign oil & war.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

#6 Dec 24, 2010
free wrote:
Just keep doing whatever you're doing. It's great and wonderful and nothing bad could ever happen because of anything you do. You are perfect, you are American, there is no need to change anything, there is no way to improve on what you do. Please continue being perfect and wonderful, and shoot anyone who raises any concerns about the future.
mike mulligan

Charlestown, MA

#7 Dec 24, 2010
Nancy Stardust wrote:
Legislate that all new 2015 vehicles be electric or biodiesel. Build new nuclear power plants and other domestic low carbon base load electric power stations. This will lower our carbon footprint and reduce our national interest in foreign oil & war.
How about supplying us with a income that can support that kind of lifestyle?
Nancy Stardust

Barnet, VT

#8 Dec 24, 2010
mike mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
How about supplying us with a income that can support that kind of lifestyle?
I believe the term that you are searching for is 'loan'. And I am not talking about reducing public transportation, just converting it to a more environmentally friendly fuel; or of course you could continue with the current way and employ our youth to fight wars.
Nancy Stardust

Barnet, VT

#9 Dec 24, 2010
Merry Crispness wrote:
<quoted text>
Just keep doing whatever you're doing. It's great and wonderful and nothing bad could ever happen because of anything you do. You are perfect, you are American, there is no need to change anything, there is no way to improve on what you do. Please continue being perfect and wonderful, and shoot anyone who raises any concerns about the future.
And here I thought that you opposed the relicensing of our local power station....my apologies are due.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#10 Dec 24, 2010
Nancy Stardust wrote:
Check out how long we've been waiting for electric cars, and this wasn't the first:
Here's a fun advert for the ideal electric car that will take us into the future:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
100 years old and we wonder why some people aren't excited about the future of electric cars.
Scott

Newton Center, MA

#11 Dec 26, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Check out how long we've been waiting for electric cars, and this wasn't the first:
Here's a fun advert for the ideal electric car that will take us into the future:
100 years old and we wonder why some people aren't excited about the future of electric cars.
I have a 1910 Country Life magazine with an article on the new electric cars, showing how people charged them up in their garages. It was a mag for upscale people and I forget what the cars cost but I recall a decent NY mansion overlooking the Hudson cost $15,000 in one real estate ad. Anyway, the Car Dr. guy on the radio this morning was praising the new Chevy Volt which can go 40 miles with just electric b4 the little gas motor has to start (not much better than the all electric ones 100 years ago!) 15 years ago the 'experts' at Car & Driver etc. were saying we wouldn't be able to make all electric cars, but we saw buses in Germany with advanced flywheel technology 20 years ago and solar panels got better and batteries too.(BTW-besides the oil etc. we gotta stay in Afghanistan for the all that lithium there ya know)
Thing is, there's no reason we couldn't have new generation flywheels assisted cars, solar panel covered and a little gas motor maybe just to charge the battery in emergencies or if out in the boondocks. I think it's neat that a suped up electric car can now beat most any gas one in sprint races- http://www.youtube.com/results...

The concocted 'crisis' that we're supposed to believe is coming called 'Peak Oil' is bunk, the world is awash with oil and it's not 'fossil fuel' anyhow but abiotic (google it), nonetheless we do need to stop polluting the oceans etc. and so maybe bamboozling the masses into thinking they have to do with less to save the planet from the evil spectre of man-made catostrophic climate change is kinda neccesary to ease pollution problems even though the anthropogenic 'global warming' theory has been disproven and real scientists are now admitting that the earth has been going into a cooling phase now. http://www.infowars.com/peak-oil-spill-or-unc...

www.GlobalClimateScam.com
www.ClimateDepot.com
Joe

Burlington, VT

#13 Dec 26, 2010
can't we just drive golf carts around town ? Oh wait it's against the federal law because of liberals like Ralph Nader saying we need to be protected from unsafe vehicles being sold, but we can ride a bike with or without an engine.
flat lander

United States

#14 Dec 27, 2010
JOE how big of a shoe do you need to have a negative foot print. From my baby boots size 12 it has been a problem.
Nancy Stardust

Westford, VT

#15 Dec 27, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Check out how long we've been waiting for electric cars, and this wasn't the first:
Summary
This report is written in response to numerous requests for war casualty statistics and lists of war
dead. It provides tables, compiled by sources at the Department of Defense (DOD), indicating the
number of casualties among American military personnel serving in principal wars and combat
actions.
Wars covered include the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the Civil War,
the Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam Conflict,
and the Persian Gulf War. Military operations covered include the Iranian Hostage Rescue
Mission, Lebanon Peacekeeping, Urgent Fury in Grenada, Just Cause in Panama, Desert Shield
and Desert Storm, Restore Hope in Somalia, Uphold Democracy in Haiti, and the ongoing
Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).
For the more recent conflicts, starting with the Korean War, more detailed information on types of
casualties, and, when available, demographics have been included. This report also cites sources
of published lists of military personnel killed in principal wars and combat actions.
This report will be updated as events warrant.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32492.pdf
Joe

Burlington, VT

#16 Dec 27, 2010
flat lander wrote:
JOE how big of a shoe do you need to have a negative foot print. From my baby boots size 12 it has been a problem.
if you nailed a deer with a rock and made your own shoes by hand you would still be harming the enviroment, poor bambi
Nancy Stardust

Westford, VT

#17 Dec 27, 2010
To flatlander & Joe, All or nothing right? You don't have to be at all responsible for any of your behavior because those environmentalists are all extremist wack jobs right? Well here I am boys, the environmentalist who doesn't make the papers. I support Vermont Yankee and the development of domestic low carbon base load energy. On a lot of other issues I identify with the GOP. My personal choice however is to use only environmentally friendly household and yard products. Everyone can do something. Maybe you can't buy expensive cleaning and yard products, but you can recycle plastic and paper. Maybe you can't afford an electric car today, but you can support legislation for better gas millage. Everyone can do something and it need not be all the same thing. So screw in an energy efficient light bulb boys or screw yourself.
flat lander

United States

#18 Dec 27, 2010
What does "responsible" mean? to you ,me or the judge and Joe is responsible in his eyes but Nancy has a different picture since she has a vision or view or theory which can vary from eye to eye.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#19 Dec 27, 2010
Nancy Stardust wrote:
...but you can support legislation for...
New laws take freedom away from some one. Legislators know this and are wary of writing new laws for that reason, and the unintended consequences that they aren't smart enough to foresee.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20 Dec 27, 2010
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
New laws take freedom away from some one. Legislators know this and are wary of writing new laws for that reason, and the unintended consequences that they aren't smart enough to foresee.
Luckily there are many other countries with legal precedent for laws concerning environmental standards, since we're far behind in many aspects of it.
The beginning of the end

Masontown, PA

#21 Dec 27, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
Thats a great ad. And guess how long the "green technology" of hybrid vehicles has been around? This short little article sheds some light on that subject ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALCO_boxcab

although not practical for the average Harry homeowner, the technology has been around for quite sometime....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Local Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Agrihoods take root: a housing trend rooted in ... (May '16) May '16 Leann 1
News Missing something? What kind of restaurant do y... (Feb '15) Sep '15 vic 2
News Financial planning for grown-ups (Jun '15) Jun '15 Marcus 1
News The History of the Refrigerator: Staying Cool T... (Jan '13) May '15 blast 22
News Conservation group seeks to buy developer out o... (May '15) May '15 ApePeeD 1
News In Orlando, food doesn't have to be fast (Apr '15) Apr '15 Vib_Ram 1
It's Like Tinder but for Local Food (Aug '14) Apr '15 William 3
More from around the web