Buying local foods a recipe for growt...

Buying local foods a recipe for growth | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 18 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 14, 2011, titled Buying local foods a recipe for growth | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Imagine eating locally grown food, saving farmland and strengthening the agricultural economy in Fairfield County - and doing it all at once.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Linda

Galloway, OH

#1 Feb 14, 2011
What is not mentioned is the "Pearl Alley". These people buy their stuff and pawn it off as local. Plus really not much selection. Mostly it's handmade garbage for sale, not food.
hamburger pimp

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 14, 2011
The handwriting on the wall concerning peak oil is becoming clearer every day. Food production and distribution will become more localized whether we like or it (or care one way or another) or not. There just won't be the cheap oil to transport cheap asparagus from California or bananas from Ecuador or melons from Mexico.
Griefer

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 14, 2011
While consumption of locally produced food is beneficial for the local economy, consumers should question the practices of the producers Is it sustainable? Is it organic? Is it cruelty free? What do you feed your livestock? Antibiotics? Pesticides? Consumers should have access to this information for ALL food products.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 14, 2011
All food should be locally-grown, tear up these damn strip centers and half-occupied housing developments and restore them to farmland - at least to private food gardens for urban-dwellers. Urban sprawl is destroying this country.
Dirk

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 14, 2011
local food rocks
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 14, 2011
what's sad is that this common sense solution is now seen as visionary. duh - it's how i grew up. we grew our own veggies in the summer and bought meat/eggs/milk from a farm very close to us.
For Him

United States

#7 Feb 14, 2011
Good for Fairfield County!

This can only help the local economy.
hardly

United States

#8 Feb 14, 2011
harvey wrote:
All food should be locally-grown, tear up these damn strip centers and half-occupied housing developments and restore them to farmland - at least to private food gardens for urban-dwellers. Urban sprawl is destroying this country.
So I guess you only want to eat fresh fruits and vegetables 3 months out of the year? I like eating local when I can, but until we figure out how to grow foods like bananas, citrus, peanuts, rice etc., etc.; and figure out how to do all of this when it's below freezing with snow on the ground we are going to have to have food shipped in from elsewhere.
Keith Urban-Sprawl

Blacklick, OH

#9 Feb 14, 2011
harvey wrote:
Will each of us become responsible for getting our excess to ports for shipment overseas as foreign aid?
Dirk

Columbus, OH

#10 Feb 14, 2011
hardly wrote:
<quoted text>
So I guess you only want to eat fresh fruits and vegetables 3 months out of the year? I like eating local when I can, but until we figure out how to grow foods like bananas, citrus, peanuts, rice etc., etc.; and figure out how to do all of this when it's below freezing with snow on the ground we are going to have to have food shipped in from elsewhere.
I do, I eat in season. lol @ having no will power. Also, some farmers markets in the winter still have some vegs..
tigerlily

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Feb 14, 2011
I don't have a problem buying fresh produce locally. I've been buying from farmers markets for nearly 10 years. Buying locally does not mean buying organically grown fruits and vegetables. These farmers use the same pesticides and herbicides as the large corporate owned farmers. We need farmers in the central Ohio area who grow their fruits and vegetables without toxics. Maybe then more of us would participate.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#12 Feb 14, 2011
Keith Urban-Sprawl wrote:
<quoted text>
Will each of us become responsible for getting our excess to ports for shipment overseas as foreign aid?
Hardly, that's what farmers and markets are for, genius. Pretty clear from your nick that YOU don't want more farmland or locally-grown food, though...:)
harvey

Columbus, OH

#13 Feb 14, 2011
tigerlily wrote:
I don't have a problem buying fresh produce locally. I've been buying from farmers markets for nearly 10 years. Buying locally does not mean buying organically grown fruits and vegetables. These farmers use the same pesticides and herbicides as the large corporate owned farmers. We need farmers in the central Ohio area who grow their fruits and vegetables without toxics. Maybe then more of us would participate.
Some may be organically grown, but I agree - they all should be. We should have reductions in the amount of toxic chemicals applied to our fields, our crops, and our farm animals, too.
Linda

Galloway, OH

#14 Feb 14, 2011
Fairfield county, Give us Food!!!! Ride on!!!!
jim

United States

#15 Feb 14, 2011
Why doesn't the Dispatch hire Nate Ellis since Ms. Lane always rewrites his stories after they've already been in ThisWeek Pickerington?
Karen

United States

#16 Feb 14, 2011
Thanks Ms. Lane for taking the time to attend the meeting and for visiting our store to get more information about us and why we believe local agriculture is important. Hope to see you back again soon.
Spooktacular

United States

#17 Feb 17, 2011
hamburger pimp wrote:
The handwriting on the wall concerning peak oil is becoming clearer every day. Food production and distribution will become more localized whether we like or it (or care one way or another) or not. There just won't be the cheap oil to transport cheap asparagus from California or bananas from Ecuador or melons from Mexico.
You can grow bananas in Ohio?
Linda

Galloway, OH

#18 Feb 17, 2011
May begins strawberry season. Pick your own, make jams and jellies and can them, it's real easy, anybody can do it. Start canning people!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Local Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing something? What kind of restaurant do y... (Feb '15) Jun '17 Jeff 3
News Vacaville Council backs The Branch, 'an urban b... May '17 Birds Landing Bob 2
News Agrihoods take root: a housing trend rooted in ... (May '16) May '16 Leann 1
News Financial planning for grown-ups (Jun '15) Jun '15 Marcus 1
News The History of the Refrigerator: Staying Cool T... (Jan '13) May '15 blast 22
News Conservation group seeks to buy developer out o... (May '15) May '15 ApePeeD 1
News In Orlando, food doesn't have to be fast (Apr '15) Apr '15 Vib_Ram 1
More from around the web