The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple ...

The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple commits to eating only locally produced foods for month of O...

There are 38 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 13, 2010, titled The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple commits to eating only locally produced foods for month of O.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Noah Pinck and Eleanor Taylor have made a commitment this month to eat only food grown or raised within 100 miles of Santa Cruz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bigbub

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Oct 13, 2010
They stole seawater out of the Monterey Bay Sanctuary? The Sanctuary is Federally protected. You can't just take resources out of it. This violates the Pacific Resources Management Plan. What if everyone did this? There wouldn't be any left for the otters.

Then they boiled it all away promoting profits for the unsustainable fossil fuel industry. Not to mention adding tons of CO2 to the atmosphere. All those resources wasted and for what? To win some self appointed challenge?

Next, we'll probably find out they used a plastic bucket to fetch their pail of water. Putting plastic in the Sanctuary is a BIG nono. It's toxic after all. It doesn't matter if you have good intentions. The madness just goes on and on.

Orchard

Daly City, CA

#23 Oct 13, 2010
mmmmmm only $27/pound for tenderloin. I understand but come on man......Rib eyes only $16/pound. Makes Whole Paycheck seem like a bargain Oh it keeps going $11.25/pound for fresh pasta

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#24 Oct 13, 2010
Creekan wrote:
Thank you for posting the link.
I'm entirely amused by the screaming here about people daring to make money by doing something positive, or acting as if because someone else decides to do an experiment it's intended to make them feel inferior.
I like to shop locally for locally produced goods.
Ditto.

Bookmarked the link.

Thanks Sentinel for alerting me to another local business to patronize.

And to you critical cretins who stereotype anyone who is vegetarian or shops local or is interested in not trashing the environment: my Prius f a r t s in your general direction.
Creekan

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Oct 13, 2010
Not sure which made me laugh harder, commenter2001's Prius with the targeted emissions, or Bigbub's analysis of the horrible crime of stealing a (plastic) bucket of seawater.

This is what keeps me coming back to these forums!
Chill Out

San Jose, CA

#26 Oct 13, 2010
Sure Thing wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah it does since I feel insulted that Journalism in this country has become a shill for self interested people to profit off of. When they move on so will I.
They own a business that supports locally grown food and you act as if they were killing kittens. It seems to me these people genuinely care about what they're doing, and yet here you are; crying bloody murder against conscientious business owners who are working to demonstrate the validity of both their lifestyle and their business model. They never pointed any fingers at yours, and yet you're completely defensive that such a thing might have been implied. Have you run out of more important issues for something as menial as this to raise such reactionary ire within you, or is being rabidly despotic over such a trivial matter your way of getting through the day? You SHOULD feel insulted, you certainly deserve it.

Since: Dec 09

Boulder Creek, CA

#27 Oct 13, 2010
Sarah Grace wrote:
It's odd that so many of you are so defensive about your lifestyles and food 'choice'" and so critical of Santa Cruz Local Foods.
Uhh...how does ridiculing these people translate to defensiveness, exactly?

It seems to me that I was anything *but* defensive, proudly proclaiming my anti-locavore food preferences.

Hey, here's a thought: my choice of food sources (Nob Hill, Costco, Whole Paycheck) represent a far greater reverence for "diversity" than those of the couple in the article do.(I *love* it when PC causes collide!)

Since: Dec 09

Boulder Creek, CA

#28 Oct 13, 2010
commenter2001 wrote:
<quoted text>And to you critical cretins who stereotype anyone who is vegetarian or shops local or is interested in not trashing the environment: my Prius f a r t s in your general direction.
This must be an example of that famous liberal open-mindedness and reverence for diversity that I've heard so much about.
Right on

Oakland, CA

#31 Oct 13, 2010
See nothing wrong with living what you sell and selling what you believe in. What they do for a living and what they're doing for their lifestyle are interesting and relevant. Recently started buying their products -- wow. Great stuff, super flexible arrangement and very, very nice people.
Ridicule

San Jose, CA

#32 Oct 13, 2010
Pikadon wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhh...how does ridiculing these people translate to defensiveness, exactly?
Seems to me that someone who feels the needs to ridicule anybody based on nothing more than where they shop must be defensive about something.
Riiiight

San Jose, CA

#33 Oct 13, 2010
Pikadon wrote:
<quoted text>
This must be an example of that famous liberal open-mindedness and reverence for diversity that I've heard so much about.
And this must be an example of that famous conservative mission to actually conserve something.
I heart forums

Courtland, CA

#34 Oct 14, 2010
Glass of wine: 3.00
Internet: 29.95/month
LOL at Sentinel Forums: PRICELESS

I heart you all. The left wing loco local close minded kooks and the right wing frustrated shut ins. You complete me.

Sorry to interrupt. Please continue.
Groovy

Santa Cruz, CA

#35 Oct 14, 2010
I'm glad they're healthy, but what they're eating sounds just awful.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#36 Oct 14, 2010
I hope they discover how to cook before their kid starts eating. Cooking - what a marvelous invention. Kills harmful bacterias, preserves food longer.(I also hope they're not into raw dairy for the kid's sake).

I see nothing wrong with the Sentinel highlighting local businesses or giving away free advertising to them.

Nice looking website, but wow! The prices!

Blue potatoes though. Cool.
Sure Thing

Campbell, CA

#37 Oct 14, 2010
Chill Out wrote:
<quoted text>
They own a business that supports locally grown food and you act as if they were killing kittens. It seems to me these people genuinely care about what they're doing, and yet here you are; crying bloody murder against conscientious business owners who are working to demonstrate the validity of both their lifestyle and their business model. They never pointed any fingers at yours, and yet you're completely defensive that such a thing might have been implied. Have you run out of more important issues for something as menial as this to raise such reactionary ire within you, or is being rabidly despotic over such a trivial matter your way of getting through the day? You SHOULD feel insulted, you certainly deserve it.
What you fail to acknowledge or even see is that I was railing about the Senile being a rag that does quid pro quo advertisements under the guise of news. Instead like some rabid banshee w/emotional issues you froth at the mouth because I called them on it. Now you want to kill the messenger instead of acknowledging that yes the Senile is selling space on it's pages. Pages that when they had some character was spent on actual articles not fake articles designed to promote consumerism. You should see a psychologist you definitely have anger issues. PS what is so conscientious about their business model that can't be served by people getting off their rear end and shopping at one of the many farmers markets around here. Oh yeah your friends wouldn't benefit if people did that. Nice try at misdirection though
Sue She

Stockton, CA

#38 Oct 14, 2010
Xanthippe wrote:
I hope they discover how to cook before their kid starts eating. Cooking - what a marvelous invention. Kills harmful bacterias, preserves food longer.(I also hope they're not into raw dairy for the kid's sake).
I see nothing wrong with the Sentinel highlighting local businesses or giving away free advertising to them.
Nice looking website, but wow! The prices!
Blue potatoes though. Cool.
...fyi, X...?
Cooking destroys most of the nutritional value of the food and the helpful bacteria that our hopefully daily or more frequent pooping depends on.
So you like

United States

#40 Oct 14, 2010
Frankencrotch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. My personal favorites are Nob Hill and Costco, with occasional trips to Whole Paycheck.
"Sustainable" is the new "diversity" (which was the new "empowerment.)"
"Look! A herd of individuals!"
eating junk food who cares
Felix

Santa Cruz, CA

#41 Oct 14, 2010
In life, we are not measured by what we don't do. Not eating foods from more that 100 miles away proves nothing, benefits no one. Its a personal choice that I totally respect. But is it an interesting story? No. This town is full of people who are one-dimensional in their beliefs. And they wear those tedious beliefs on their sleeves so all of us will know how they feel - like we care. If I decide to use leaves to wipe my bottom instead of toilet paper should I be held up as an example of living a sustainable lifestyle or simply committed to a mental institution? C'mon, folks - there are real things going on in the world besides the diet of two locals. When our schools are fully functional, our streets safe from gangs and our city council is composed of responsible adults who have had to work for a living in the private sector then we can switch our attention to the issue of sustainable local foods - and hopefully without the self-righteousness that is usually demonstrated by those who practice "not" doing or not eating something or not driving something. Good for you.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#42 Oct 14, 2010
Sue She wrote:
<quoted text>...fyi, X...?
Cooking destroys most of the nutritional value of the food and the helpful bacteria that our hopefully daily or more frequent pooping depends on.
Hm, I've always thought of cooking as a healthy invention that makes food tastier, more tender and delectable, and prevents diseases such as trichinosis, brucellosis, salmonellosis, e. coli poisoning, campylobacteriosis, listeriosis, and other horrible maladies (like worms). Never had much of a problem with not being regular or other digestive troubles (knock wood), but I enjoy whole foods.

I do eat raw fruit and some raw vegetables, but prefer most vegetables cooked - there's just so many different ways to change the flavor - boiled, steamed, roasted, baked, grilled, sauteed...mmmmm.

I ate once at La Vie - the raw food restaurant that occupied the old Pontiac Grill space downtown. It was ok for raw food but wasn't in my top ten local places to eat.

I'm a big fan of cooking. It's healthier to cook foods with meat and dairy in it than not. I'm not a fan of unpasteurized dairy - too big a risk for too little a return.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Local Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing something? What kind of restaurant do y... (Feb '15) Jun '17 Jeff 3
News Vacaville Council backs The Branch, 'an urban b... May '17 Birds Landing Bob 2
News Agrihoods take root: a housing trend rooted in ... (May '16) May '16 Leann 1
News Financial planning for grown-ups (Jun '15) Jun '15 Marcus 1
News The History of the Refrigerator: Staying Cool T... (Jan '13) May '15 blast 22
News Conservation group seeks to buy developer out o... (May '15) May '15 ApePeeD 1
News In Orlando, food doesn't have to be fast (Apr '15) Apr '15 Vib_Ram 1
More from around the web