The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple ...

The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple commits to eating only locally produced foods for month of O...

There are 38 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 13, 2010, titled The 100-mile menu: Santa Cruz couple commits to eating only locally produced foods for month of O.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Noah Pinck and Eleanor Taylor have made a commitment this month to eat only food grown or raised within 100 miles of Santa Cruz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
So the

Berkeley, CA

#1 Oct 13, 2010
stole this idea from the TV show?
Reality Check

United States

#2 Oct 13, 2010
"We still might find someone with a kayak, or a sailboat, and go out over the Monterey Bay canyon to get some good fresh water," Pinck said. "I still want to do it, because what if? What if we don't have these resources? We have to figure that stuff out and then teach people, too."

They think sea salt is going to be more scarce than a sailboat to traverse the Monterey Bay Canyon? Did they find some locally sourced peyote?
Love local food

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Oct 13, 2010
I doubt they "stole" the ideal , as people that understand the importance of locally sourced food have been implementing this idea via farmer's markets and making restaurants like Avanti favorite spots for years. My food might not always be from within a hundred mile radius, however I am always looking at the source of the food I buy and considering that as an important part of the economy as well as my health and the health of the planet. We are very lucky to live in a place that has as many wonderful food options, and our organic options are some of the best in all of the U.S.! Go farmers, and fisherman and all sustainable minded food suppliers!
CapMom

San Francisco, CA

#5 Oct 13, 2010
Seriously, I think I hurt myself rolling my eyes.
SeaMom

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Oct 13, 2010
Have been buying from them for a year. Best produce I ever had in my life. I am a vegetarian and respect what they are accomplishing selling locally grown foods. Now I will not even consider buying chain store produce that is sprayed and shipped from out of the country. We would all do well to only eat local foods. When you buy from them you support local farmers and local sustainable farming practices. Well done. I hope the business grows over time. They are lovely people with a great business.
Sure Thing

San Jose, CA

#7 Oct 13, 2010
When did the Senile become an advertisement rag instead of a lame blog about what's happening in SC? This story is an ad for this couple's business nothing more and the idea that it's almost impossible to not eat locally grown food is nonsense. Go to the Farmers market in downtown and you can get pork, eggs, fish, spices, vegies and fruits all sourced within a 100 miles of here. It costs more but it isn't hard and it certainly doesn't merit a story in the local rag. This is the 3rd ad masquerading as a story in the Senile today the other two being Jefferys and the Point Chop house, two horrid restaurants if they can legitimately call themselves that. So when does Santa Cruz Local Food place their first ad with the Senile?
Frankencrotch

San Jose, CA

#8 Oct 13, 2010
Meaningless, arbitrary gestures of self-denial like this are ridiculous. We need another major war so that people will understand what's *really* important.
Frankencrotch

San Jose, CA

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Love local food wrote:
We are very lucky to live in a place that has as many wonderful food options [...]
I agree. My personal favorites are Nob Hill and Costco, with occasional trips to Whole Paycheck.

"Sustainable" is the new "diversity" (which was the new "empowerment.)"

"Look! A herd of individuals!"
hahaha

San Jose, CA

#10 Oct 13, 2010
This is a commercial for their business...
Dorftroedel

United States

#11 Oct 13, 2010
Frankencrotch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. My personal favorites are Nob Hill and Costco, with occasional trips to Whole Paycheck.
"Sustainable" is the new "diversity" (which was the new "empowerment.)"
"Look! A herd of individuals!"
Or a stampede of Priusi
a girl in capitola

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Oct 13, 2010
I like a big juicy steak. That come from cows that go moo.
Locavore

San Jose, CA

#13 Oct 13, 2010
These negative comments are really appalling. How is this couple's act of trying to do something positive for the local community, however small, a bad thing? And how is it worth your time to belittle them? Are they hurting you directly? No. Are they telling you how to live your lives? Also no. Move on.
happy in Santa Cruz

Milpitas, CA

#14 Oct 13, 2010
Ditto what SeaMom said.

After a year of knowing and buying from the SCLF family, I feel that my family is getting the best food available, grown by our local farmers who count on our support to stay in business. That's a really good feeling.

I will never understand all of the people that can find something crappy to say about anything.

Seriously? You're gonna bag on people who are following their hearts and trying to bring something better to their community. Wow.230
Spaceway

Watsonville, CA

#15 Oct 13, 2010
That's all good, but if you can't afford to, what are your options?
When food prices are lowered then I'll eat local. In the meantime I'll eat the cheapest organic I can find, and if it isn't organic well that's the way it is.
price dictates to a lot of us
Sure Thing

San Jose, CA

#16 Oct 13, 2010
Locavore wrote:
These negative comments are really appalling. How is this couple's act of trying to do something positive for the local community, however small, a bad thing? And how is it worth your time to belittle them? Are they hurting you directly? No. Are they telling you how to live your lives? Also no. Move on.
Appalling to whom? You....oh so sorry to hurt your feelings. What exactly is so positive about their 'act' of buying local when you consider they run a business that is about selling local food. They are trying to profit grom their 'good deed' as you imply they aren't doing it because of some higher calling, they have an agenda. Is it worth my time to belittle them...sure it's either them or someone else and they set themselves up on the altar to be praised(and the converse to be criticized). It isn't a one way street just because you assume you are part of a clique that holds themselves up as morally superior. The same mentality runs among religious nutcases but do I bow down before them...nope.
They are implying that the way they live their lives is some sort of example for all of us when in fact they benefit financially if other people start drinking their kool aid. Does it harm me? Yeah it does since I feel insulted that Journalism in this country has become a shill for self interested people to profit off of. When they move on so will I.
No its not This is

Hayward, CA

#17 Oct 13, 2010
hahaha wrote:
This is a commercial for their business...
https://santacruzlocalfoods.com/

hahahahaha
Sarah Grace

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Oct 13, 2010
It's odd that so many of you are so defensive about your lifestyles and food "choices" and so critical of Santa Cruz Local Foods. So what if the article provides a little bit of exposure for a great local company? It also provides inspiration that people can live passionately about something that's important to them. While I may not decide to eat only local, I am inspired by their lifestyle and their company. Their prices are fair and I get great local food delivered to my doorstep by bike. My kids are always excited to see what's in the grocery box for the week and I'm thankful that we have this resource in our area.
Creekan

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Oct 13, 2010
Thank you for posting the link.

I'm entirely amused by the screaming here about people daring to make money by doing something positive, or acting as if because someone else decides to do an experiment it's intended to make them feel inferior.

I like to shop locally for locally produced goods.
The Wildman

Mountain View, CA

#20 Oct 13, 2010
I can't wait for them to go pick some 'shrooms.
LocalMom

Ben Lomond, CA

#21 Oct 13, 2010
CapMom wrote:
Seriously, I think I hurt myself rolling my eyes.
Good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Local Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Financial planning for grown-ups Jun 22 Marcus 1
News The History of the Refrigerator: Staying Cool T... (Jan '13) May '15 blast 22
News Conservation group seeks to buy developer out o... May '15 ApePeeD 1
News In Orlando, food doesn't have to be fast Apr '15 Vib_Ram 1
It's Like Tinder but for Local Food (Aug '14) Apr '15 William 3
Local Food hubs / Co-ops (Jul '14) Apr '15 William 4
News Missing something? What kind of restaurant do y... Feb '15 Berneta Seitz 1
More from around the web