On Restaurants: Craving Korean | The Columbus Dispatch

Cha dol bae gi, thinly sliced beef with sesame sauce, is surrounded by condiments at San-Su, a Korean barbecue restaurant, which opened on Bethel Road in August. Read more
a guy in columbus

Westerville, OH

#1 Jan 25, 2011
If you haven't tried Korean BBQ, you're missing out. Ka-Ya is a favorite. Love the bulgogi (beef). Their short ribs (Kalbi) are awesome too. It helps if someone in your party has experieced Korean BBQ before, it only resembles American BBQ by virtue of the name and there is meat involved. If you're flying without a net, ask the staff and they'll school you on the best ways to indulge. Come hungry, you will leave fat and happy.
Michael

Utica, OH

#3 Jan 25, 2011
a guy in columbus wrote:
If you haven't tried Korean BBQ, you're missing out. Ka-Ya is a favorite. Love the bulgogi (beef). Their short ribs (Kalbi) are awesome too. It helps if someone in your party has experieced Korean BBQ before, it only resembles American BBQ by virtue of the name and there is meat involved. If you're flying without a net, ask the staff and they'll school you on the best ways to indulge. Come hungry, you will leave fat and happy.
Are expensive or are they easier on the wallet than most nice restaurants
FRANK TANG BEST GOOD

Dayton, OH

#4 Jan 25, 2011
Now I'm hungry
CSD

Columbus, OH

#5 Jan 25, 2011
How about some real news like: Did Damon's close ?
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#6 Jan 25, 2011
CSD wrote:
How about some real news like: Did Damon's close ?
If it did a favor has been done to the stomachs of Columbus.

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 25, 2011
Damon's have been closed..thankfully.

Korean is great. There used to be a larger number of Korean restaurants, especially around the Bethel Road area..but most closed.

Since I am Korean, I have to keep up on these things.

Places in Columbus for Korean:
Restaurant Silla (Henderson Road)
Min-Ga (Bethel Road)
Japanese Oriental (High Street, Campus)
Ka-Ya (Reed Road)
San Su (Bethel Road)
Diaspora (High Street, Campus)
Kiyko (Riverside Drive)
Mr. Sushi (Hamilton Road)

Prices are typically in the $10-$20 a head range.
Lfod

Canal Winchester, OH

#9 Jan 25, 2011
One Fly White Guy wrote:
Damon's have been closed..thankfully.
Korean is great. There used to be a larger number of Korean restaurants, especially around the Bethel Road area..but most closed.
Since I am Korean, I have to keep up on these things.
Places in Columbus for Korean:
Restaurant Silla (Henderson Road)
Min-Ga (Bethel Road)
Japanese Oriental (High Street, Campus)
Ka-Ya (Reed Road)
San Su (Bethel Road)
Diaspora (High Street, Campus)
Kiyko (Riverside Drive)
Mr. Sushi (Hamilton Road)
Prices are typically in the $10-$20 a head range.
Which has the best Bulgogi?

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#10 Jan 25, 2011
Lfod wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed it at Silla and Japanese Oriental. Not do much at some of the others.

Restaurant Silla has the most odd location (entrance facing the west wall of the Sears Hardware store) and Japanese Oriental has various degrees of difficulty for parking (campus, go figure).

I used to go to a place called Koreana which used to be on Bethel. Long gone though.

San-Su is the newest of the bunch (in a location once called Bumpers, just west of the Refectory). Had lots of kimchi accompanying the meal, however it is very hands-on since you are the one cooking the beef. The cooking surface can be small for more than two people.

Kikyo is the one of my list I lack experience with.
randy

Bellville, OH

#11 Jan 25, 2011
Lfod wrote:
<quoted text>
I really like Ka-Ya (Reed Road). They will help you out in your menu selection. I also like the meat and veggies that you stuff into lettuce leaves and make a burrito style wrap. Most all of them have the free kimchee appetizers dishes. Some are pickled and sweet and others can be a little spicy but what a great way to try new and interesting foods. My wife is half Japanese and even she likes the variety of what they have.
Jay

Wapakoneta, OH

#12 Jan 25, 2011
I'm half Korean and I've been to most of these restaurants. One that wasn't mentioned (I don't think) is Pung Mei. It has Chinese and Korean food and is probably one of the better ones. My favorite food there is the jampong. During lunch hours, the prices are very reasonable.

I've never ate at Ka Ya, but I can tell you one thing about them: they do not like serving Koreans. My mom and I walked in and they actually told us (in Korean) they were uncomfortable because most of their customers are white. This made us uncomfortable as well so we just walked out.

Silla used to be good, but they're getting too stingy with their food now. The last time we went there, their soondae-guk only had one piece of soondae in it. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about knows there should be a lot more. Oh, and if you do go there I highly recommend going during their lunch hours, otherwise their food will cost you an arm and a leg.

I've been to Min-Ga several times and in my opinion, the ONLY good food there is the dolsot bibimbap. It is pretty tasty. The other foods are extremely bland. Plus, the waitress (the only one I think) is always a bit rude.

Another place not mentioned is Tea Zone Bakery. They have some Korean food there (bibimbap, bulgogi, cold noodle, etc) that I've never tried, but I always go there for the bakery items. Yum! Plus they have bubble tea. Yum Yum!

Hope this helps someone!
a guy in columbus

Westerville, OH

#13 Jan 26, 2011
Michael wrote:
<quoted text> Are expensive or are they easier on the wallet than most nice restaurants
Cost is comparable to an Outback. Last time my wife and I went, we each had bulgogi, had some sushi as an appetizer, no alcohol and our bill was about $45, excluding tip
a guy in columbus

Westerville, OH

#14 Jan 26, 2011
Jay wrote:
I'm half Korean and I've been to most of these restaurants. One that wasn't mentioned (I don't think) is Pung Mei. It has Chinese and Korean food and is probably one of the better ones. My favorite food there is the jampong. During lunch hours, the prices are very reasonable.
I've never ate at Ka Ya, but I can tell you one thing about them: they do not like serving Koreans. My mom and I walked in and they actually told us (in Korean) they were uncomfortable because most of their customers are white. This made us uncomfortable as well so we just walked out.
Silla used to be good, but they're getting too stingy with their food now. The last time we went there, their soondae-guk only had one piece of soondae in it. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about knows there should be a lot more. Oh, and if you do go there I highly recommend going during their lunch hours, otherwise their food will cost you an arm and a leg.

I've been to Min-Ga several times and in my opinion, the ONLY good food there is the dolsot bibimbap. It is pretty tasty. The other foods are extremely bland. Plus, the waitress (the only one I think) is always a bit rude.
Another place not mentioned is Tea Zone Bakery. They have some Korean food there (bibimbap, bulgogi, cold noodle, etc) that I've never tried, but I always go there for the bakery items. Yum! Plus they have bubble tea. Yum Yum!
Hope this helps someone!
I'm really surprised that Ka-Ya treated you so poorly. Nearly everytime I've been there the clientele is 90% Asian. As a matter of fact, the dude that turned me on to the place is Korean. I will say however, the hostess isn't always the most welcoming. She's efficient, but sometimes I think her face would crack if she smiled. The food more than makes up for it and the wait staff is very pleasant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Korean Cuisine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kenny lee belmont high school 1979 dying of aids (Sep '08) Jun '13 NEVERFORGETABULLY 5
What are the Attractions in Taipei (May '11) Jun '12 tshadowknows06 3
News Following The Leaders (Mar '12) Jun '12 FURTHER PROOFS 4
News More Korean food? Yes (Jan '12) Jan '12 RID-X 2
News Naked Tchopstix brings pan-Asian to John's Pass (Oct '11) Oct '11 Heather 1
News Korean food "invading" Vietnam's market (Dec '10) Jun '11 SpongeBob 23
News Korean cuisine to be featured in Paris (Jun '09) May '11 asiaTeam 2
More from around the web