Resurrecting a brand that once sizzled

Resurrecting a brand that once sizzled

There are 50 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 3, 2007, titled Resurrecting a brand that once sizzled. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

For a while longer fast-food hamburger lovers can get a Big Shef at a nearby Hardee's. That will ring a bell with sentimentalists who remember the Indianapolis-based Burger Chef chain's signature sandwich.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Former Employee

United States

#1 Jul 3, 2007
It's Big Chef and Super Chef, NOT Big Shef and Super Shef.
Correct Spelling

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Jul 3, 2007
NO, it IS Big Shef and Super Shef. Look it up. The chain was called Burger Chef. The burger's had the quirky S in place of C.
OIFVet

Snellville, GA

#3 Jul 3, 2007
In my mind Burger Chef was merged with Hardees long before 1982 in Plainfield, but that probably is just me. I went to collage in Vincennes in 1985 and left in 1987 and there was still a Burger Chef there. They still had a stockpile of tabletop advertisements. I am looking a set of salt shakers my wife stole from Burger Chef back in the day. I do believe they came out with a kid meal before McDonald’s? I remember playing a scratch off movie trivia game there also.
Donut Cop

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jul 3, 2007
I remember the Burger Chef murders in Speedway many years ago - still unsolved
AAJ

United States

#5 Jul 3, 2007
You are correct OIFVet....
Their kids meal was called the "Fun Meal".
George Washington

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jul 3, 2007
Good, I loved burger chef as a kid.

Now if only this outfid could bring back the Milkshake candy bar! YUM!
80s Child

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 3, 2007
Long live Burger Chef and Jeff!!!
Hoosier Daddy

Louisville, KY

#8 Jul 3, 2007
They forgot a few things. Burger Chef also introduced:

-the concept of a "works bar" where you could put whatever you wanted on your burger.

-the concept of a salad bar in a fast food establishment.

-the concept of a special, all-inclusive kids' meal with a toy (the Funmeal, co-opted by McDonald's and called the Happy Meal. McDonald's also carbon-copied the Big Shef when they introduced their Big Mac).

Burger Chef was also the first fast food place to have a licensing deal with Star Wars (way back in '77 when the original one came out!).

I also can't believe nowhere in here is a mention of Burger Chef and Jeff.

More succinctly, Burger Chef ROCKED.
OIFVet

Snellville, GA

#9 Jul 3, 2007
My guess John Ketzenberger not a Hoosier
3d House of Magic

Washington, DC

#10 Jul 3, 2007
Burger Chef did rock!! The one at 86/Ditch I grew up at...evolved in to Hardee's that is remarkably still there! Burgers don't compare to Hardee's, McD's or anyone, really. C'mon Hardee's, give it up! Either be your own brand or not!
Huh

Florence, KY

#12 Jul 3, 2007
Is this really a story about a Burger? What a waste of paper.
Jack In The Box

Nineveh, IN

#13 Jul 3, 2007
If you post on a story about a burger, you are telling the editor you want more stories about burgers.
Huh wrote:
Is this really a story about a Burger? What a waste of paper.
Onlooker

AOL

#15 Jul 4, 2007
BC was a home grown national brand and we were proud of it. But it never acquired the critical mass needed to survive the burger wars.

Since: Feb 07

Lebanon,IN

#16 Jul 4, 2007
The problem is that Hardees tried to do a Big Chef on the cheap. Instead of following the original recipe they made it a double cheeseburger with thousand island. Big mistake. If the other company gets the rights to the original recipes they will be a success.
FWsouthsider

United States

#17 Jul 4, 2007
The Burger Chef closest to me was close enough where after my paper route, I would go for double-cheeseburgers, large fries and chocolate shakes. Mom was an R.N. and had 'healthy' food waiting for me, but for some reason many evenings I just wasn't too hungry after arriving at home. Still have my mass-produced glossy pic of Burger Chef and Jeff. What fond greasy memories.
Doug

Trenton, NJ

#18 Jul 4, 2007
I for one hope Burger Chef is revived. It would certainly be a better choice than Hardee's. Hardee's is slooooow, it isn't too family friendly and their burgers are not the greatest burgers around, despite what some may think. Oh and they're expensive. Does anybody actually eat there?
Sharon

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Jul 4, 2007
As far as fast food goes, Burger Chef was one of the all time best. The Works bar was a great item I'd like to see again!
tigger nitties

Newark, OH

#20 Jul 4, 2007
Hope they bring it back. Hardee's is the most ghetto, disgusting fast food out there.
tigger nitties

Newark, OH

#21 Jul 5, 2007
Hardee's is awful bring back the chef
tigger nitties

Newark, OH

#22 Jul 20, 2007
"Is this really a story about a Burger? What a waste of paper." The only waste, "sir" is the worthless waste of humanity that have shown yourself to be. What an arrogant smug jerk. You go back to tennessee or kentucky or wherever the hell you're from and you STAY THERE! We don't complain about your god-awful "cuisine" when we travel to the south.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamburger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Johnny Rockets burger chain entering El Paso; B... Jul 3 butters_ 4
News NY Prison Guard Admits Providing Tools To Escap... Jun 25 John 2
News Checkers changes policy after withholding inspe... Jun 15 Say What 2
burger experts out there please help me May '15 yardburger 2
News Braving the family McDonald's May '15 GBP Ghostbuster 5
News Tamaqua investigates moldy bun report May '15 Stevie Homanko 6
Cindy's Hamburgers (Aug '08) Apr '15 kris 28
More from around the web