Smitty's Better Burger has the taste ...

Smitty's Better Burger has the taste of summer

There are 40 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jul 2, 2008, titled Smitty's Better Burger has the taste of summer. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

F antastic find: Lunch Special Price: $4.45 Where to Go: Smitty's Better Burger - since 1956 Address: 1313 N. King St., Hampton Phone: 723-0661 Hours: 11 a.m.-9:50 p.m., Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-6:50 p.m. ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Hampton

#22 Jul 3, 2008
Best coleslaw in town-- by far. Get a large and take it home. I love it.
Peste

Omaha, NE

#23 Jul 3, 2008
Sweet-e-Pie wrote:
<quoted text>
No cow girl outfits but the girls are the best along with the food.
LOL confession time...the girls are part of the reason I go there! I mean I'd go there for the food alone, but the girls at Smitty's make it that much nicer to go there!
I think Smitty's should be on the Food Network show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#24 Jul 7, 2008
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL confession time...the girls are part of the reason I go there! I mean I'd go there for the food alone, but the girls at Smitty's make it that much nicer to go there!
I think Smitty's should be on the Food Network show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.
True, and while they are in town they can hit up Doumars in norfolk too.
Peste

Omaha, NE

#25 Jul 8, 2008
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
True, and while they are in town they can hit up Doumars in norfolk too.
Agreed!...Dang is it lunchtime yet?
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#26 Jul 8, 2008
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!...Dang is it lunchtime yet?
Yep. Although Smitty's has a good burger, my favorite hamburger in HR is found at Lee's Hot Dogs in Portsmouth. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but the burgers are awesome!
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#27 Jul 8, 2008
Lee's could be featured on that show too. Good chili dogs there as well.
Peste

Omaha, NE

#28 Jul 8, 2008
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Although Smitty's has a good burger, my favorite hamburger in HR is found at Lee's Hot Dogs in Portsmouth. The place doesn't look like much from the outside, but the burgers are awesome!
Cool! I have to try it the next time I'm out and about in Portsmouth. I actually enjoy hole in the wall places to eat in.
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#29 Jul 8, 2008
Peste wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool! I have to try it the next time I'm out and about in Portsmouth. I actually enjoy hole in the wall places to eat in.
It kind of throws me off when your your location posts as Omaha, NE.

Lee's is in Port Norfolk, by the way. Just so you know, they close at 4pm weekdays, and noon on Saturdays. I am rarely over there when they are open.:(
Dum Ass Prodect of HCS

Newport News, VA

#30 Jul 8, 2008
Delicious but you may have dodge bullets if the Sonic thugs get released and show up. They are barred from the Sonic now.
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#31 Jul 8, 2008
Dum Ass Prodect of HCS wrote:
Delicious but you may have dodge bullets if the Sonic thugs get released and show up. They are barred from the Sonic now.
I used to walk to Lee's all the time. NEver had a problem.

BTW, what is HCS?
Peste

Omaha, NE

#32 Jul 8, 2008
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
It kind of throws me off when your your location posts as Omaha, NE.
Lee's is in Port Norfolk, by the way. Just so you know, they close at 4pm weekdays, and noon on Saturdays. I am rarely over there when they are open.:(
LOL Yeah my work ISP routes through Omaha. At home it confuses me when it shows my location as Cape Charles or Norfolk and I live in Hampton!

Since: Apr 08

Hampton

#33 Jul 8, 2008
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to walk to Lee's all the time. NEver had a problem.
BTW, what is HCS?
I'm guessing that is Hampton City Schools.
uh-yeah

Dutton, VA

#34 Jul 9, 2008
DonnaJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing that is Hampton City Schools.
Ah yes, I should have known. Lots of people complain about the Hampton schools, but I don't ever hear suggestions for improvement.

Since: Apr 08

Hampton

#35 Jul 9, 2008
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, I should have known. Lots of people complain about the Hampton schools, but I don't ever hear suggestions for improvement.
I agree. Actually, I really believed alot of things I heard and put my child in private school. Finally in 10th grade, after much begging from him, we took him out and put him in public school in Hampton. He loved it and did very well. He got through and graduated without any problems whatsoever. I know there were teachers my son did not want to get and things that he didn't like but that's gonna happen anywhere. You can't please all of the people all of the time.
Max

South Bend, IN

#36 Aug 9, 2008
I helped pour the concrete when Smitty's first opened. Lived in Hampton for forty-two years and then moved away. Now live in Charlotte, NC and am looking forward to coming back next week for a visit and to get a great burger. Can't get anything like that or even a twirly dog here.
Tudors Gaelic Hanoverians

Los Angeles, CA

#37 Aug 9, 2008
OHBOY wrote:
Prices have gone up alittle over the past year but it's still a good value and great food.
Been around a long time too. Now that I am older, it still amazes me how some can keep the "past" in the present. Good Burgers!
Tudors Gaelic Hanoverians

Los Angeles, CA

#38 Aug 9, 2008
Max wrote:
I helped pour the concrete when Smitty's first opened. Lived in Hampton for forty-two years and then moved away. Now live in Charlotte, NC and am looking forward to coming back next week for a visit and to get a great burger. Can't get anything like that or even a twirly dog here.
Just mention North Carolina, I get homesick.
You will be amazed there Max, it is still the same. Probably the same picnic tables too.:D
Food is still great and crowded as usual.:D

Since: Jul 08

Hampton

#39 Aug 10, 2008
Hate to say but my favorite (the coleslaw, large please, in a bag)has been terrible the last three times I bought it. Don't know what's up.
WOW

Newport News, VA

#40 Jan 21, 2012
Smittys better burger is a landmark in hampton va.That deserves a little national attention,diners,drive-ins and dives should give it the attention it needs
Eustis

Yorktown, VA

#42 Jan 25, 2012
uh-yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to walk to Lee's all the time. Never had a problem.
BTW, what is HCS?
We sent our son to Lee Hall back in 03-04 and he was bullied. We called the Principal and school nurse(bruise), nothing. The quashed it. It was a rat hole with pods. Now we home school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamburger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weird 27 mins ago 8:17 p.m.Boy, 8, craves burge... (Apr '17) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 4
News Spring gets off to a sizzling start at Sara's R... (Apr '09) Apr '17 turner 17
News Wendy's testing a 'pretzel burger' (Jan '13) Feb '17 Fred 6
News Wauconda's Uncle D's dishes out more than beer ... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Delicious 1
News Warning sought for big burger (Apr '09) Feb '17 Greasy Burger Phart 54
News Should Americans banish the burger? (Oct '09) Feb '17 Fat Burger Phart 229
News Man Orders World's Most Expensive Fast-Food Burger (Aug '13) Feb '17 Whopper Phart 16
More from around the web