Several Twin Cities restaurants are o...

Several Twin Cities restaurants are offering prix-fixe meals fo...

There are 44 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Several Twin Cities restaurants are offering prix-fixe meals fo.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The four-course prix-fixe dinner at Luci Ancora in St. Paul changes nightly. A recent meal included, clockwise from top, jumbo grilled shrimp with a saffron white-wine reduction, risotto with morels, chilled tomato cumin soup and grilled ahi tuna with arugula, honeydew and prosciutto salad.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jun 3, 2009
Well, it's nice that the author of this article can afford $30+ for a meal. Most of us are trying to get by on feeding our entire families for less then that when they go out. My meal tomorrow is going to be chicken from Target. You get a whole delicious roasted chicken for under $5 and it very comfortably feeds two. We then get prepared mashed potatoes (plenty of those in grocery store at about $2 or so), heat those up, add butter - and voila. It's a cheaper and better meal then you can eat out and other then throwing a few dishes in the dishwasher - no work at all. I've even had a few leftovers to chow down on later on.
meh

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Ate at WA Frost this past Sunday. It wasn't that busy but I had to wait 40 minutes for my French Toast to show up. When it arrived it was coldm too. Didn't see my waiter either for over a half hour after he plopped down my water when I got there. The past 3 times I'd been there w/ friends the food took a long time coming out as well. What gives? Not great service for the reputation and prices they charge. I hate to see this - it's a beautiful place with decent-tasting food - when it finally shows up. Anyone know what's going on there?
yum

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 3, 2009
Fed up with bailing out wrote:
Well, it's nice that the author of this article can afford $30+ for a meal. Most of us are trying to get by on feeding our entire families for less then that when they go out. My meal tomorrow is going to be chicken from Target. You get a whole delicious roasted chicken for under $5 and it very comfortably feeds two. We then get prepared mashed potatoes (plenty of those in grocery store at about $2 or so), heat those up, add butter - and voila. It's a cheaper and better meal then you can eat out and other then throwing a few dishes in the dishwasher - no work at all. I've even had a few leftovers to chow down on later on.
Some of us ARE fortunate to be able to afford it and frankly choose not to cook (for one) and would rather eat out than eat chicken and potatoes...not trying to be snarky here, I just appreciated the article.

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 4, 2009
yum wrote:
<quoted text>Some of us ARE fortunate to be able to afford it and frankly choose not to cook (for one) and would rather eat out than eat chicken and potatoes...not trying to be snarky here, I just appreciated the article.
Well, good for you - but I didn't cook the chicken and just re-heated the potatoes (which takes 4 minutes tops). We occasionally go out for a dinner and have had meals that cost $35+ for each of us. No one was saying you had to eat chicken or even cook your food. God forbid! It was a suggestion for who ever would find it helpful. It doesn't bother me that you didn't. I guess it's just me being able to remember the not-so-good times when it comes to money. There are people like that you know. Truly! Spend all your money to eat out. It will help the economy.

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 4, 2009
meh wrote:
Ate at WA Frost this past Sunday. It wasn't that busy but I had to wait 40 minutes for my French Toast to show up. When it arrived it was coldm too. Didn't see my waiter either for over a half hour after he plopped down my water when I got there. The past 3 times I'd been there w/ friends the food took a long time coming out as well. What gives? Not great service for the reputation and prices they charge. I hate to see this - it's a beautiful place with decent-tasting food - when it finally shows up. Anyone know what's going on there?
If you ever have the opportunity to watch "Kitchen's Greatest Nightmares" with Gordon Ramsey, you might change your whole outlook on restaurants, lol! I guess one thing I got from watching it is that when a restaurant is empty when it shouldn't be when you walk in - there's usually a reason. If you don't have cable (it's on the UK channel), search for it on Youtube. That's where I used to watch the episodes before I found out it was on cable. Of course I think I watched them all on Youtube and once I tried watching them on television I had already seen them all. Good, good show. I hate cooking and am not crazy about food - but I really enjoy Gordon Ramsey.

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 4, 2009
meh, correction: It's called: "Kitchen Nightmares." Some of the episodes are really great, but some are funny too.

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jun 4, 2009
Another Correction! Sorry. Some of the episodes are really kind of gross, some are just bad food, and some can be funny too.
NoDoubt

Maple Grove, MN

#8 Jun 4, 2009
$30 for food that would cost less then $4 to make at home is not a good deal and don't forget the $6 you need to cough up for the waiter/waitress who spent less then 2 1/2 minutes carrying your plate 35 feet to make it!

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jun 4, 2009
NoDoubt wrote:
$30 for food that would cost less then $4 to make at home is not a good deal and don't forget the $6 you need to cough up for the waiter/waitress who spent less then 2 1/2 minutes carrying your plate 35 feet to make it!
LOL! You got that right. We have some of the best steaks and prime rib for way less at home. The last time we had prime rib we found it on clearance for $20 and two of us had prime rib twice. Yum! All we had to do was heat it up in the microwave for about 2 minutes or so. Someone should compare that time against an expensive meal you wait forever for in a restaurant. I'm not one to fix anything in the microwave except for minor things, but I've been pleasantly surprised more then once at how good pre-made prime rib is reheated. We pour ajous on top of the prime rib so there's no chance of drying it out. We like ours medium rare (me, a little bit more rare then that) and it's perfect when we're done. None of the food we've eaten out lately is that good and really, is quite lousy. The one place we like to eat is Tunuche's all you can eat prime rib. I can only eat one medium sized piece but their buffet is to die for. They've got the best salad bar I've seen anywhere. It's gotten more expensive, but we only do it about every 3 months or so. It's a fact that I don't eat enough to justify $30, but it is really good.
Look out

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jun 4, 2009
Has no one ever heard of "fine dining"? Some of the chef's at these restaurants prepare things you would never be able to make at home and probably would never even think of. There are many good reasons to eat out even in this economy, an Anniversary a Birthday.....
Bon Appetit
Annie

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jun 4, 2009
Just because some people enjoy going out to eat, and can still afford it, don't rain on their parade. I would prefer any of these meals to mashed potatoes in a box and greasy rotisserie chicken. I can't always afford it, but you need to have fun sometimes.
June Cleaver

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 4, 2009
they forgot to mention the Sharing and Caring Hands in Minneapolis,there grub is very good,and the price is right
Curly

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jun 4, 2009
You did notice that the article wasn't titled, "How to feed your family for under $10 a meal" right? The prices in this article start at $20 per person for a multi-course upscale dinning experience. There are plenty of people who appreciate and seek this kind of information. Of course you can save money by eating at home, but that isn't the point of the article. Saving money isn't usually a motivating factor for going out to eat.
Heidi

Hightstown, NJ

#14 Jun 4, 2009
Cheers to Prix Fixe and this article. Finely crafted food does cost more, and the fact that they've developed a menu that makes their food available at a lower price point is to be recognized with an article that highlights the best. I WILL eat cheap food 6 days of the week to have 1 GREAT meal, and it will be appreciated and enjoyed.
Butch

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jun 4, 2009
I'll drink to that
jimbo

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jun 4, 2009
With regards to this comment on Luci Ancora: "and the crowd's not hip". What does that have to do with anything? What does that mean? The crowd is too old for the author, the crowd doesn't dress cool enough for the author, they don't look like the author? Maybe it means they don't use terms like "prix-fixe". Luci Ancora is a good restaurant. Give me a break.
Mom

Cottage Grove, MN

#17 Jun 4, 2009
To piggy back on jimbo's comment.....I'm 31 and I really like Luci Ancora. Guess I'm not young and hip anymore. :) Jenkin's IS crazy for saying the crowd isn't hip. I thought it was supposed to be about the food.....
Chucker

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jun 4, 2009
NoDoubt wrote:
You are nuts. I would like to see you make some of the things here at home for much if at all cheaper at home. First of all I doubt you have the skills to make any of these items. Second, the ingredients in many of these meals are very expensive and you couldn't make them at home for much cheaper. For instance the pictured meal at Luci Ancora,(jumbo grilled shrimp with a saffron white-wine reduction, risotto with morels, chilled tomato cumin soup and grilled ahi tuna with arugula, honeydew and prosciutto salad) lets see you buy the ingredients and make that for $4 bonehead. Fresh Ahi tuna is usually $15-20 a pound itself, and looking the pieces in that photo, that's probably a $10 piece of fish itself, then add up all the ingredients to create the other items, that's a very expensive and delicious looking meal.
But you are right cheapskate, you do have to fork over a few more dollars for the hardworking waiter/waitress that is trying to feed their families on tip money.

So I personally think this was a good article, and some of these prix-fixe meals look like real bargains for great meals.
Granted most people, myself included, can't afford to dine out at places like this all the time, but its great that you can occasionally go out and have a great meal for a reasonable price.
Thankfully Not From Osseo

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jun 4, 2009
NoDoubt wrote:
People like you SHOULDN'T go out to eat!
Crabby

Clinton, NJ

#20 Jun 4, 2009
NoDoubt wrote:
You are probably one of those people that complain about everything!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gourmet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Holiday Booze ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Francois Pharts 1
News This Boston restaurant is one of the top-grossi... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Carly 1
News David Letterman briefly unretires, devastates D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 msvk23 1
News Bringing tourists the toothsome taste of Cambod... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Ted 1
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
News Cyber crimes and other things (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bong Power 1
News A new restaurant hopes to bring an added boost ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Left Coast 2
More from around the web