Salt of the islands - Business

Salt of the islands - Business

There are 9 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Salt of the islands - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A locally produced sea salt is making small waves, though quietly, among Hawaii's foodie circles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Tasty

Ewa Beach, HI

#1 Mar 25, 2009
Good stuff!
local

Kailua, HI

#2 Mar 25, 2009
I agree. Local hawaiian salt made naturally from the ocean and dried in the sun. It can't get any better than that.
old country gal in Kailua

Honolulu, HI

#3 Mar 25, 2009
I wish it were sold in stores I can get to.
Tasty

Ewa Beach, HI

#4 Mar 25, 2009
http://maps.google.com/maps...

The Strawberry Connection, if they don’t have it they can get it for you. The link show maps to the place too.

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#5 Mar 25, 2009
i have been using moloka'i made red sea salt for many years. there is definitely an improvement in the taste of foods due to the salt. at first one would think that salt is salt, but here is my proof. and i am glad that hawaii's cottage industries are emerging with many diverse local goods. their websites will also help spread them around the globe.
Shareholder

Kaneohe, HI

#6 Mar 25, 2009
Salt is salt, you should buy whatever is the cheapest.
uku

Kahului, HI

#7 Mar 25, 2009
local wrote:
I agree. Local hawaiian salt made naturally from the ocean and dried in the sun. It can't get any better than that.
add alae

Since: Jan 08

Kahului, HI

#8 Mar 25, 2009
halemalu wrote:
i have been using moloka'i made red sea salt for many years. there is definitely an improvement in the taste of foods due to the salt. at first one would think that salt is salt, but here is my proof. and i am glad that hawaii's cottage industries are emerging with many diverse local goods. their websites will also help spread them around the globe.
Any good recipes lately?
Busta

Aiea, HI

#9 Mar 25, 2009
To say that salt has "health benefits" is silly. Physiologically, we only need about half of a gram of sodium per day. Unfortunately, most Americans consume 5000 mg or more per day.

To pay that high price for a bag of salt is silly. It's just a novelty. The one thing I never liked about Umekee market is that they make a lot of unsupported claims about their product. I'm waiting for them to go out of business.

For those of you who think that you can tell the difference between salt I challenge you to a blind taste test. I'll salt some fish with whatever kind of "special" salt that you like. I'll cook another batch of fish with plain old, Kosher salt that cost $2.00 per box. I guarantee you that you will not be able to tell the difference. It's all in your mind! I can get cheap Kosher Salt, package it in a fancy, bottle/package, and tell you that this salt is from "pristine, deep Alaskan waters", sell it to you for $10/lb, and you will then tell your friends that you "can tell the difference."

People are gullible - they fall for anything! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gourmet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Holiday Booze ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Francois Pharts 1
News This Boston restaurant is one of the top-grossi... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Carly 1
News David Letterman briefly unretires, devastates D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 msvk23 1
News Bringing tourists the toothsome taste of Cambod... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Ted 1
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
News Cyber crimes and other things (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bong Power 1
News A new restaurant hopes to bring an added boost ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Left Coast 2
More from around the web