Homeless down on their luck hit gourm...

Homeless down on their luck hit gourmet jackpot at MEND

There are 20 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 1, 2009, titled Homeless down on their luck hit gourmet jackpot at MEND. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Food bank director Richard Weinroth talks about his work in the kitchen at MEND in Pacoima.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Matty S

Brea, CA

#1 Apr 1, 2009
This is great! With a little creativity, a lot of goodwill and the help of donations, you can take care of people down on their luck WITH DIGNITY!
I wish others would take notice and follow this example of really great human beings...
Specially in our Hollywood-crazed LA, where so many pseudo-celebrities are idolized for doing nothing of real value, it is refreshing to encounter caring, interesting, selfless people like the volunteers and the Chef at this place.
Way to go!
Laura Paul

New Orleans, LA

#2 Apr 1, 2009
I had the pleasure and privilege of working with Rich Weinroth here in New Orleans, Louisiana during the city's recovery from hurricanes Katrina and Rita (still ongoing!)

I'm so pleased to see he's found a way to continue to bring together his two greatest strengths - cooking wonderful food and caring for people - again.

Kudos to M.E.N.D. and to Rich - best of luck with all your work!
Old friend

Sherman Oaks, CA

#3 Apr 1, 2009
I've known Richard for many years and this story doesn't surprise me at all. Richard cares about his friends, co-workers, and everybody else in between. Always a nice guy, works hard, and knows how to make a difference. Red Devil Pizza was always known as a place where generations of West Valley people could catch up with each other and "talk" to Rich about anything and everything. Mend is a fantastic program and they lucked out! Best of luck to Rich and those he helps on a daily basis.
Rev Linda Amador

Tracy, CA

#4 Apr 2, 2009
I am proud to say that I once worked for MEND before moving to Northern CA and entering ministry. I always felt like I was already doing ministry of a sort working at MEND. I don't regret my decision to enter the ministry, but I sure do miss MEND and MEND folks. After all, it is the people that make it so great!! Rick is just one example of the many great people who work for and volunteer at MEND. Truly an agency worth supporting through financial and in-kind donations, as well as volunteer support. I encourage all to check out the MEND website today and see how you can also be part of this great organization!
Shykora Us 3

Calgary, Canada

#5 Apr 2, 2009
WOW..Vow....GREAT...Good...GOD Bless ''all'' of Yous' good persons,here....US 3 do agree,here.....good eat'n Onwards....eh...yada u..eh..
Pia Hugo

Glendale, CA

#6 Apr 3, 2009
Hi! This article mentions Christian Assembly (CA), a church in Eagle Rock that benefits from the hundreds of prepared meals from MEND every week. Last Sunday, I led the team from CA (we are all church volunteers) and we got the opportunity to actually pass out the food being described here and it is no exaggeration how delicious it was! We fed about 200 people and everyone remarked what an improvement it was from the stuff we used to give out (our team includes about 10 leaders and we all used to take turns cooking the home-made food). What a blessing it was for us to serve quality food, not worry about the costs (the church gives us $200 but it is usually not enough), save preparation and cooking time, and most of all, see the happy faces of our honored homeless guests who were all very grateful! I do not know Richard personally, have never met him, but he is definitely up there in my list for being one guy who makes a HUGE impact and difference in the lives of soooo many people--many of whom he will never meet until he gets to heaven! God richly bless him and everyone who is a part of MEND!
Brian Roxas

United States

#7 Apr 3, 2009
I too am a member of the Skid Row Ministry at Christian Assembly, and serving the food to the people there has really given me perspective on stereotypes and prejudices that do not accurately reflect the people of the area. I want to thank Richard and the people at MEND for contributing food to our ministry.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#8 Apr 7, 2009
..GOODNESS...GOOD....People/Fo lks,here,toooooo boooot.....GOD Bless...Onward.....eh...The hillbilly farmboy has spoken...now most...yodeling....eh...
i agree

Glendora, CA

#9 Apr 7, 2009
paul shykora arts wrote:
..GOODNESS...GOOD....People/Fo lks,here,toooooo boooot.....GOD Bless...Onward.....eh...The hillbilly farmboy has spoken...now most...yodeling....eh...
Umm your rubber room awaits, down the hall, first door on your right... have fun!
Luisa

United States

#10 Apr 8, 2009
I saw the story today on ABC Good morning America. I love someone who cares so deeply for the less fortunate. Does anybody know how to contact him or the organization? Our church, Mission Village Christian Fellowship in San Diego works with GEH(God's Extended hand)providing meals for the homeless. We are always looking for recipes(for groups of 100 or more) or ideas to feed the homeless. I'd appreciate any help and God blessyou all!!!!
Rev Linda Amador

Walnut Creek, CA

#11 Apr 8, 2009
Luisa wrote:
I saw the story today on ABC Good morning America. I love someone who cares so deeply for the less fortunate. Does anybody know how to contact him or the organization? Our church, Mission Village Christian Fellowship in San Diego works with GEH(God's Extended hand)providing meals for the homeless. We are always looking for recipes(for groups of 100 or more) or ideas to feed the homeless. I'd appreciate any help and God blessyou all!!!!
Luisa, you can contact Richard through their website www.mendpoverty.org
I worked for MEND for 7 years and it is a wonderful organization, in all regards. Blessings on your ministry.
Luisa

United States

#12 Apr 8, 2009
Gracias Rev. Linda Amador. Ya le envie un mensaje.
Luisa

United States

#13 Apr 8, 2009
Thank you so much Rev. Linda Amador. I sent him a message. God bless your life and your ministry.
Arlene Bernholtz

United States

#14 Apr 10, 2009
Great to hear positive things are happening right here in the San Fernando Valley regarding the homeless. Having a gourmet treat must really had to their self esteem too. Bless MEND and the job they are doing for the community. Sharing, that is what life is about
paul shykora

Calgary, Canada

#15 Apr 11, 2009
i agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm your rubber room awaits, down the hall, first door on your right... have fun!
....thankyous'...god bless.....good ..''thoup'' mix it.....eh...yada u.
pacoima resident

Sunland, CA

#17 Apr 25, 2009
I'm all about helping the less fortunate in society, but I fear that mend is turning a Latino community with strong work ethics into a group that sits in line each morning waiting for food and other people to take care of them. Mend started out humble and "keeping it real", are they creating a dangerous entitlement attitude? The article keeps referring to "homeless" but rarely have I seen a true "homeless" person in line. They are making it popular to ask for handouts that are so easy and accessible, there is no need to rise above it. Dependency destroys the human spirit.
Shykora Us 3

Calgary, Canada

#18 Apr 28, 2009
..GOOD POINTERs,here....eh...
ChefRich

United States

#19 Apr 28, 2009
I have had the pleasure of working at MEND for about 5 months, now...and it's a job I'd gladly do for free if I could afford it.
I understand the concern of the previous commentary, and we do not take that issue lightly.
One thing among many that the article neglected to point out is that only about ten percent of the people we serve on any given day are actually homeless, but so many are hardworking families often with two incomes that just can't make ends meet with what they're paid.
MEND offers more programs than just our emergency food bank and soup kitchen. We offer medical and dental services on a donation basis for those that would otherwise go without, we offer computer skills courses, sewing classes and English classes as well. We try to make good food at our kitchen because we're also working on creating a culinary vocational training program for those interested in pursuing a career in the culinary arts.
The old adage has never been more apropos,'Give a man a fish, and you feed him lunch but if you teach a man to fish he'll never go hungry'.
I like to think we offer fishing lessons at MEND.
In addition, 99% of all work done at MEND is done by volunteers and we incredibly are fortunate to be in such a hardworking and active community wherein when so many people are losing their jobs...we see a big surge in volunteerism.
Truly, I'd rather err on the side of caution and help feed a few families that should maybe be trying a bit harder, than let those ones that can't seem to make ends meet send their children to school or to bed hungry.
Rev Linda Amador

Walnut Creek, CA

#20 Apr 29, 2009
Touche Richard! I could not have said it better myself. I can tell you have really gotten into the whole MEND culture in just 5 short months. MEND grows on you, doesn't it? I have been away 6 years (hard to believe) and still have many active connections with staff, volunteers, and of course the Development staff with my monthly donation! I am so glad to see you take such an active interest in the Food Dept, the hot meals program and the Culinary Training Program. That training program was my "baby" while I was there, along with other vocational training programs in the other departments. Unfortunately, I had little actual control over Catering training growth and development for reasons I will not disclose. I am so glad that you are there now and so impassioned. God bless you!
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#21 Apr 29, 2009
..YES...GOOD People/Folks',here,...tooooooo boooot...GOD Bless...Good eat'n...eh...yada u...Onward...LOV'yha....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gourmet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Week in Houston Food Blogs: Holiday Booze ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Francois Pharts 1
News This Boston restaurant is one of the top-grossi... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Carly 1
News David Letterman briefly unretires, devastates D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 msvk23 1
News Bringing tourists the toothsome taste of Cambod... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Ted 1
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
News Cyber crimes and other things (Dec '14) Dec '14 Bong Power 1
News A new restaurant hopes to bring an added boost ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Left Coast 2
More from around the web