Garlic dip recipe
Bill in Loveland

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Jul 6, 2006
Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for a fantastic whipped garlic dip that I had on vacation recently. It consisted of a whole lot of pure raw garlic cloves, light olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and sea salt. There was nothing else in it and it had an absolutely heavenly bite to it. Can any one help with an actual recipe?
Diablo Blanco

United States

#2 Oct 26, 2006
Hi Bill et al.,
Here is a garlic recipe which will fool chefs some of the time. I was amazed and I believe you will be to.

FAUX GUACAMOLE

3 cloves garlic
1/2 - 1 pound of raw pumpkin seed ( yes, pumpkin seed. Be sure the seed are raw.)
1 tomato
1/2 tsp salt (or salt to taste)
Any other ingredients you like to use in Guacamole.

Place ingredients in blender.
Blend until smooth.(I use pulse control)
Refrigerate for about an hour.
Serve.

You may have to go to a health food store to get the pumpkin seed.
Enjoy, DB
Stacy

Rice Lake, WI

#3 Feb 12, 2007
I have had this before and I have made it. It's yummy!
Bill in Loveland wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for a fantastic whipped garlic dip that I had on vacation recently. It consisted of a whole lot of pure raw garlic cloves, light olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and sea salt. There was nothing else in it and it had an absolutely heavenly bite to it. Can any one help with an actual recipe?
Jimbo

Sterling Heights, MI

#4 Jan 15, 2008
I don't know the exact proportions, but I had a similar dish to the first post. I know that the ingredients were garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and tiny pieces of minced jalepeno pepper for bite.
Fat J

San Antonio, TX

#5 Mar 5, 2008
3 cups peeled garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons salt, or to taste

I recommend less salt. and roast or saute the garlic cloves first.
Tara

Denver, CO

#6 Apr 8, 2008
Bill in Loveland wrote:
I hear ya! I love this stuff too and had to go looking for the recipe. I just made some tonight believe it or not, and it turned out pretty similar to what I remember at the restaurant. Hope this helps.

8-10 lrg garlic cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 x egg yolk (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
4 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
Bill in Loveland

Boulder, CO

#7 Jul 26, 2008
Tara wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear ya! I love this stuff too and had to go looking for the recipe. I just made some tonight believe it or not, and it turned out pretty similar to what I remember at the restaurant. Hope this helps.
8-10 lrg garlic cloves
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 x egg yolk (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
4 tbl extra-virgin olive oil
Thanks Tara!

At last I have the blessed recipe!!

One more question though. I'm wondering how you assembled the ingredients to this dip.

The reason I ask is that I was instructed to not just throw everything together at once but to carefully drizzle small amounts of the EVOO at a time in order to ensure the proper consistency.

Is that how you make your version?
Jen

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Sep 13, 2008
I know the exact dip you are talking about! My grandpa made it when I was younger and I just loved it. The more garlic, the better! Unfortunately, my grandpa died before I could get the recipe from him. My father is the only one in our family that knows it, but I do not have a relationship with him. Anyways, I was searching for something similar. I know the standard ingredients, head of garlic, ice water, vegetable oil (I would assume you could easily subsitute EVOO), and lemon juice. I remember the trick being that the lemon juice needed to be very cold, as did the water. Here is a recipe that I found:

2 heads of garlic
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt

Mash the garlic with a little salt. Add to food processor bowl with the chipping blade. Process and add oil through the feed tube very slowly. Add lemon juice; process until the mixture is very creamy, like mayonnaise. If you do not have a food processor, a mixer or blender will do.

However, when I make it, I puree the garlic cloves in the blender with about a tablespoon or two of ice cold water. You MUST add the oil VERY slowly or it won't mix properly. It just ends up being very oily otherwise. I do the same with the lemon juice. This version is much more pungent than I remember growing up; however, when I've added more oil, it ends up tasting more oily. It's close enough for now though and hits that craving!

I use this dip for chicken breast. Sometimes I roll it in tortillas (from a Mexican market is the best!), along with the chicken, or just plain! We also used to make a garlic salad using just romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and then the dip. It needs to be chilled before eating and is so delicious!

Hope that helps!
tcia

Atlanta, GA

#9 Feb 25, 2009
am I wrong, but I thought the garlic may have been cooked a little? Not roasted because it is still white, but not as strong tasting as raw garlic. Is it possible that it was par boiled?
SMCDOWALL

Winston Salem, NC

#10 Mar 20, 2010
I've had similar types of dips. As for par cooking, one could do that to lessen the garlic flavor if desired. Obviously roasting would over-minimize the garlic IMHO. I would only blanch the garlic for 2 or so minutes and then shock it in cold water -- then drain well. However, I like the full power.

I would make sure the ingredients are in this order:
Garlic and Salt first to form paste. Then ice water and lemon juice (some) so there is an acid. THEN pour in the oil (light OO or Vegetable Oil) slowly -- and let it create an emulsion -- this means -- do it very slowly -- and keep the blades a churning for a LONG time (minutes++) until it is like a mayo ...

Once you have a nice solid emulsion -- check for taste and add salt / lemon juice as needed and a little extra blending.

The egg yolk is a fine idea because it helps create the emulsion (addition of lecithin -- an emollient enhancer) but is not strictly needed as enough energy can be produced to create the emulsion by just letting the blades whirl longer.

Cheers
SBarbkn

Fort Wayne, IN

#11 Oct 29, 2011
My husband's grandma makes a fantastic garlic dip/spread that is incredibly easy to make:

1 cup Olive Oil
1 HEAD of Garlic, peeled
1 good pinch of Thyme & Rosemary
Black and Red Pepper to taste

Puree all and refrigerate. It will turn into a butter like paste.
Beth

Spokane, WA

#12 Feb 6, 2012
Bill in Loveland wrote:
I am acquainted with the whipped garlic,too. However, when I made it the garlic was so hot and peppery we couldn't eat it and tossed it out. Any one have a clue as to the problem? Was the garlic bad? It looked good and I had just purchased it.
Nic

Rapid City, SD

#13 Jun 22, 2013
This site has the traditional recipe with the science behind the emulsion. It also addresses issues with making it and how to 'fix' it, including the bite of the garlic, if you read down through the comments at the bottom:

http://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/dips/leba...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garlic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do you make garlic clove chips? (Aug '09) Oct '16 Ggo21 8
Raw garlic vs Allicin suppliments (Allimax, All... (May '12) Aug '16 Garlic eater 22
Where did the cloves go? (Mar '16) Mar '16 steelers52 1
News Garlic May Be the Natural Cure For MRSA (Feb '09) Mar '16 everything comes... 11
News Smooth, creamy garlic mashed potatoes (Jan '16) Mar '16 AlfchraBaszffk 3
News Garlic Fest hits downtown Delray Beach this wee... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Lynn Killed Elyse 1
Is my garlic safe to eat? (Aug '15) Aug '15 ajax 1
More from around the web