Higher temperatures will harm many crops, report says

Nov 1, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Kansas City Star

Global warming would be bad news for all those amber waves of grain, and for the corn and soybeans that are plentiful throughout the Midwest."The grain-filling period" - the time when the seed grows and matures - "of wheat and other small grains shortens dramatically with rising temperatures.

Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Aug 24, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
frank miller

United States

#1 Nov 2, 2009
Yeah libeling idiots who should be jailed for spreading false rumors affecting our very way of
life in Bread Basket Middle West U.S.A. I see that warm, hot, humid sub-tropical Chile has no problems
exporting to us luscious fruits, vegetables, and probably to the rest of Europe who loves the heat to grow, wheat, grapes for wines for their own exports!!
The key to great agricultural practices, now a forgotten art/science in America because of the
virtual daily dietary TV assaults on protein from grains, or meats, and fish!?
The soil must not be either too acid, nor too alkaline! Or plowed,harrowed , or fertilized improperly, or at the wrong time to support the luxuriant microbial population needed to ensure a maximum crop yield! Rotation of crops, are very important so that the root nodules nitrogen fixing bacteria are in symbiosis with the grown plant!
The end results is to add large amounts of nitrogen to the soil, especially in long periods of no-rains needed for the roots not to rot! But
because lightning storms splits atmospheric nitro
gen{~78%} into water soluble nitrogen oxides,
which are reprecipitated to Earth in rains, snow
for aerobic bacteria to convert into nitrates
for amino acid protein precursors, arid periods with NO precipitation but just Irrigation must be nitrogen fertilized even more than phosphates fertilized!
But don't blame your problems on "CO2AGW" as CO2 is the key to photosynthesis of every crop!
Send those negative creeps to jail, and hire yourselves microbiologists farmers!
frank miller

United States

#2 Nov 2, 2009
Clarification of my #1 post: Because the fertility of the soil is, therefore, largely a result of bacterial activity, it is common practice to inoculate the soil or the seeds with appropriate
microorganisms before planting! And be careful not to mix acidic, and alkaline nitrogen chemicals together, which would generate free ammonia {NH3},
thus reversing the activity of the genus 'Nitrobac-
ter' to oxidize nitrites to nitrates!
And for God's sake mothers breast-feed your babies, so that they will acquire early immunity!
Albeit certainly indigenous ancient proud native inhabitants, get other communicable STD diseases,
H1N1 flues are not one of them! However if you are predisposed to breast cancer in your family, its best not to excessively breast feed as I read a long time ago, that the precursor is thus trans-
mitted! But consult your primary care physician,
and extensive AMA literature before making life
changes!!
F.M.
NobodyYouKnow

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 Nov 3, 2009
Meet Frank Miller. He doesn't know anything, but he's more than willing to share it with you in long rambling posts with 'scientificky gibberish' of little value, while totally ignoring the subject matter of the thread.

The loss of 'productivity' of grains is just the 'first sign' to a major loss of agriculture if AGW is not held in check. See

http://tinyurl.com/yb467z5
frank miller

United States

#4 Nov 3, 2009
Yeah sure 'nobody you know #3' always there with your obtuse juvenile uneducated, what a high school
drop-out, critiques? The U.S. Australia, Canada all had bumper crops of grains, wheat, corn,barley,
these past 20 years! California has now the best wines growing vineyards, in its always hot dry, well irrigated climate! Keeping well up with population growth demand here, and for overseas disasters grain needs, and general famine-rescuing donations!
Now all-year round seasonal fruits, vegetables,
Summer in the Chile Southern Hemisphere, as well
as grains, have only been available moron over the last 5 years, which you deadbeats "CO2AGW"'s claim
were the hottest years, when actually they have been the coolest!
My 4 for consideration December 2009 Copenhagen
"Kyoto" Summit remedial GW/GC Talking Points,
all well analysed and outlined since this February 2009, on about 6 to 7 "CO2AGW" threads, which YOU have stalked me like some TROLL, with obtuse con-trarian 3 liners, and obscure biased, libeling 'http' sites probably all put out by
Futures Commodity Hedgefunds/Derivative gamblers
trying to benefit from doom-and gloom "CO2AGW"
misconceptions! Now because I have rigorously out- lined these past 4 years on Topix the mechanisms
of both Global Warming {regional Desertification};
and Global Cooling {regional more Rains, more Snows} people who matter understand what needs
to really be done to save this Planet for the next
1000 years!
Productivity to think clearly, translates in my own very Productive 45 years career as a top
Industrial Consumer/Military Specs. Commodities
Applied R&D Chemist, as Productivity in a Global neighborhood; since Globalization matured around
1985, and WE have been playing catch-up in once
not individually tried alternative Agricultural
start-ups which my #1, & #2 posts address, for the U.S. and any other Developing World Agricultural start-ups, on which I have consulted!
F.M.
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#5 Nov 3, 2009
For every crop that could be affected badly by a warmer climate, there are many more that would benefit.
No one can seriously claim that a 1ºF global temperature rise over a 100 year period has had any significant effect on any crops.
NobodyYouKnow

Etobicoke, Canada

#6 Nov 3, 2009
Earthling wrote:
For every crop that could be affected badly by a warmer climate, there are many more that would benefit.
Prove it.

Take the map from http://tinyurl.com/yb467z5 and show where the crops would 'thrive' better than today.
Earthling wrote:
No one can seriously claim that a 1ºF global temperature rise over a 100 year period has had any significant effect on any crops.
The claim stems from fairly consistent logic that our crops and natural plants are adapted and refined to maximize gain at the current temperature. Obviously, changing that will make them NON-optimum. That just takes a grain of common sense.

Even discounting the massive cost of adaptation to grow new crops when others fail, losses from misreading the changes, etc etc.
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#7 Nov 3, 2009
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
Prove it.
Take the map from http://tinyurl.com/yb467z5 and show where the crops would 'thrive' better than today.
I have nothing to prove, it's fairly obvious to anyone who understands weather and plant growth.
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
The claim stems from fairly consistent logic that our crops and natural plants are adapted and refined to maximize gain at the current temperature. Obviously, changing that will make them NON-optimum. That just takes a grain of common sense.
Even discounting the massive cost of adaptation to grow new crops when others fail, losses from misreading the changes, etc etc.
Let's examine your, "logic" and "common sense" carefully.
No two years are ever exactly the same, weather wise, right?
Crops do better or worse, dependant on amount of precipitation and sunshine, right?
Q. How do your, "refined" plants manage to grow at all?
A. They're adaptable to variable temperatures within a certain range.

So far, I've read one report of a particular crop that's suffereing from glowbull whining, but in all honesty, I believe it to be another hoax perpetrated by third world countries, off the back of AGW, to extract more cash from western coffers.

Anyone who falls for this story, knows little or nothing about farming.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
I have nothing to prove,
Which is 'Earthling' for 'I can't prove any of my claims, so why should I?'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
it's fairly obvious to anyone who understands weather and plant growth.
Which is 'Earthling' for 'Ignore the obvious. And if you can't believe my unsupported claims, you must be stupid.'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>Let's examine your, "logic" and "common sense" carefully.
Which is 'Earthling' for 'Now for a non-sequitur response that means nothing'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is 'Earthling' for 'Things vary so any variation must be trivial'. i.e a 'non-sequitur' claim that all variability is the same. A year of severe drought or a year with a little lower precipitation are totally equivalent. Both are 'variability'.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
Crops do better or worse, dependant on amount of precipitation and sunshine, right?
Which is 'Earthling' for 'And since they are equivalent, there can be no impact from a severe drough or even desertification. After, all it is just the impact of variability on plant growth and since the variability of the climate is unimportant, the variability of crop yields must be unimportant.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
And grow best within that range, but not exactly equivalent each years. They are adapted to the RANGE of climate and produce the best AVERAGE yield over the normal range. Not that they will always produce the SAME yield. They have been selectively bred and planted to be the 'best bet' for the climate in the region.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, I've read one report of a particular crop that's suffereing from glowbull whining, but in all honesty, I believe it to be another hoax perpetrated by third world countries, off the back of AGW, to extract more cash from western coffers.
So your claims are based on not reading any of the reports on agricultural losses from climate change and your 'belief' that science must be wrong.

Yup. That is 'Earthling' all right. No clue but lots of BS and time to post it. His main saving is that he's too old to have to live through any of the consequences.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#9 Nov 4, 2009
It's funny watching you global warming believers so up against the wall now because you have bet the house on this theory. You are promsing a lot here. You are ALL IN ! You have made the ultimate bet, death.(note: you warmies all have your own personal definitions that may or may not include death as a consequence and this shows that as a group, you warmies can't even agree on what global warming is)
Public support in this 23 year old theory is falling so fast now because we have waited long enough and anything other than death by CO2 is not global warming obviously. Unless you are a warmie and that just proves it is a religion of pop culture and disco science.
What will you do when you are alone with your death threats by CO2 and public support resists the IPCC and NASA? That is what is happening now. We deniers are winning the war against fear and ignorance.
We deniers are the real rebels, not you obedient and conformist and politically correct climate cowards and Greenzi sheople.
Welcome to your little cult.
Fun Facts

AOL

#10 Nov 4, 2009
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>I have nothing to prove, it's fairly obvious to anyone who understands weather and plant growth.
<quoted text>Let's examine your, "logic" and "common sense" carefully.
I bet 'Nobody you know' believes that CO2 is not vital to life.
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#11 Nov 4, 2009
Fun Facts wrote:
I bet 'Nobody you know' believes that CO2 is not vital to life.
Not sure about him, but LessFactMoreHype spent a few days trying to convince us that it isn't and as far as I know, he still believes it isn't.
Fun Facts

AOL

#12 Nov 5, 2009
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure about him, but LessFactMoreHype spent a few days trying to convince us that it isn't and as far as I know, he still believes it isn't.
Exactly.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#13 Nov 5, 2009
And so far, nobody has shown that anyone can survive on an 80% CO2, 20% oxygen atmosphere. I still invite you to TRY. I think of it as 'evolution in action'.

In fact, NOBODY has found any documentation that shows CO2 'vital to life'. And noboyd will find any proof of such crap. Obviously. No matter how many times they produce these 'bull sessions' of agreement on total nonsense.

If it were 'vital to life' then no amount of it would be 'toxic to life'. Ergo, you should be fine. But that is YOUR delusion.

The FACTS are that CO2 is toxic to life and only the fact that it is at low concentration in the normal atmsophere and that plants can 'detoxify' it back to life giving O2 and glucose keeps us from suffocating on the accumulated waste product.

Not so true in mine cave-ins, etc where it competes with lack of 'vital' O2 to see which will kill first.

Since: Aug 08

Granite Falls, WA

#14 Nov 5, 2009
Earthling wrote:
For every crop that could be affected badly by a warmer climate.....
Here is the warm weather polluted crop of the pukey proud pig words of dirtling, earthling has no brain, eart hling (an alien has no affinity to Earth),'injun killer'(has no love for humans) that prove his pukey proud pig racist denier self & lays rotting on the internet ground:

He no like transplanted euro injun killers. Lightsout have problem, jealous of mememine69, lightsout not get enough sex, maybe needs Bi-Lateral Orchiectomy, that solve problem, but may give him high pitched voice, can join tribal choir as soprano. Lightsout envious of Brian_G, lightsout not invited to belong to anyone's gang, lightsout sad person. Lightsout think Exxon bad medicine, he no understand way of world or how some of his tribe managed to learn to use internet. Lightsout very sad person. Lightsout have problem with humour, he no understand it. Lightsout think all world against him. Lightsout believe euro bad people, he no understand accident of birth theory. Lightsout put wrong baccy in peace pipe, drink bad firewater, make head fuzzy. Lightsong need visit medicine man, drive out evil spirits. Lightsong, him not religious man, he no understand forgiveness, only fear and hate.

Since: Aug 08

Granite Falls, WA

#15 Nov 5, 2009
Earthling wrote:
I have nothing to prove......
But I have much to prove about the pukey proud words of dirtling, earthling has no brain, eart hling (an alien has no affinity to Earth),'injun killer'(has no love for humans). Here are dirtling's words that prove his pukey proud racist pig denier self:

He no like transplanted euro injun killers. Lightsout have problem, jealous of mememine69, lightsout not get enough sex, maybe needs Bi-Lateral Orchiectomy, that solve problem, but may give him high pitched voice, can join tribal choir as soprano. Lightsout envious of Brian_G, lightsout not invited to belong to anyone's gang, lightsout sad person. Lightsout think Exxon bad medicine, he no understand way of world or how some of his tribe managed to learn to use internet. Lightsout very sad person. Lightsout have problem with humour, he no understand it. Lightsout think all world against him. Lightsout believe euro bad people, he no understand accident of birth theory. Lightsout put wrong baccy in peace pipe, drink bad firewater, make head fuzzy. Lightsong need visit medicine man, drive out evil spirits. Lightsong, him not religious man, he no understand forgiveness, only fear and hate.
Earthling

Huécija, Spain

#16 Nov 5, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
And so far, a load of codswallop.
You make a completely baseless argument, as usual.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#17 Nov 6, 2009
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>You make a completely baseless argument, as usual.
How would you know? You would have to read it first and obviously you didn't or you would have to understand the simple and clear logic.

And as usual, you post nothing factual to support your claims. Thus showing to even the simplest minds that your rebuttal is what is 'baseless'. Your claim that it is 'vital to life' is an 'extravagant claim' that requires 'extravagant proofs' but as yet you have not even tried to show any evidence that it is 'vital to life'(as CO2) in ANY way
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#18 Nov 6, 2009
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
And so far, nobody has shown that anyone can survive on an 80% CO2, 20% oxygen atmosphere. I still invite you to TRY. I think of it as 'evolution in action'.
In fact, NOBODY has found any documentation that shows CO2 'vital to life'. And noboyd will find any proof of such crap. Obviously. No matter how many times they produce these 'bull sessions' of agreement on total nonsense.
If it were 'vital to life' then no amount of it would be 'toxic to life'. Ergo, you should be fine. But that is YOUR delusion.
The FACTS are that CO2 is toxic to life and only the fact that it is at low concentration in the normal atmsophere and that plants can 'detoxify' it back to life giving O2 and glucose keeps us from suffocating on the accumulated waste product.
Not so true in mine cave-ins, etc where it competes with lack of 'vital' O2 to see which will kill first.
You reasoning is profoundly wrong. Lets take two simple examples and use your own wording:
If water were 'vital to life' then no amount of it would be 'toxic to life'.- This is obvioulsy false because people people can both drown and dehyrate.
If oxygen were 'vital to life' then no amount of it would be 'toxic to life'.- Again obvioulsy false because people both die of oxygen deprivation and also get oxygen intoxication/oxygen poisoning.
Why do you make up such rediculous statements that are easily disproven?
And so far, nobody has shown that anyone can survive on an 80% water, 20% 02 atmosphere. I still invite you to TRY. I think of it as 'evolution in action'.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#19 Nov 6, 2009
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
You reasoning is profoundly wrong. Lets take two simple examples and use your own wording:
If water were 'vital to life' then no amount of it would be 'toxic to life'.- This is obvioulsy false because people people can both drown and dehyrate.
Well, now you are shifting from what is vital to life to what can kill you if you put too much of it in the wrong place?

Sure. You can kill yourself by putting 100 cubic meters of ANYTHING in your body.

This sort of crap is silly. And so are you. If CO2 is vital to life, you should have no problem with breathing it in any concentration.

Now people DO live in a pure O2 atmosphere ( see the space program). Lots of space missions with pure 02. So you CAN live on pure O2 and could demonstrate that.

Time to put your money where you mouth is. No problem if you want to lower or increase the pressure for your 'test'. Time to put up or shut up.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#20 Nov 6, 2009
Oh, and before you go crapping around again, dehydration or low O2 levels would just prove that O2 and water ARE vital to life. Prove that low CO2 levels will kill you and I'll take your point.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fruits Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiny Bayfield has thriving restaurant scene Thu Natural 1
Opportunity for Pakistan to penetrate Russian f... Aug 23 Putinko 3
State Street's real McCoy Aug 21 Frogger 3
Immigration crisis at border afflicts heartland... Aug 18 T Turner 2
European farmers feel Russian sanctions bite Aug 17 PROUD TO BE SERB 16
Go For the Food: Mexican food in Salt Lake City... Aug 16 Judy 1
Franklin County's peaches are in - extra sweet (Aug '10) Aug 15 Nick 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••