Russian corruption means foie gras ro...

Russian corruption means foie gras roads would be cheaper

There are 8 comments on the Free Republic story from Jul 23, 2010, titled Russian corruption means foie gras roads would be cheaper. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Corruption in Russia has made road-building so expensive that the same stretch of highway could be coated in an eight-inch thick layer of foie gras for the same price, a study has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Since: Apr 07

Big Lake, Alaska USA

#1 Jul 23, 2010

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Jul 23, 2010
If that was the case, you Wipe-me would be there in a flash to taste that foie gras, wouldn´t you ?

Novokuznetsk, Russia

#4 Aug 24, 2010
it's probably sochialism in action.

Canora, Canada

#5 Aug 24, 2010
Soch wrote:
it's probably sochialism in action.

No, I think it looks like capitalism, American style.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#6 Aug 24, 2010
Russia corrupt, no way!
Small Town America UGXs

Absecon, NJ

#7 Aug 24, 2010
I kind of think the Sochi games in 2014 might be a bad investment for Russia. Certainly, they will never get a return on their capital investment, and their showing in previous games may mean another defeat of prestige politically. And, if the games are attacked by the islamist radicals, then Russia will really sink very deep in world opinion. Deeper than it is now.

Canora, Canada

#8 Aug 24, 2010
Olympics are generally white elephants to all host cities. That being said, the olympic festival produces a large measure of civic pride and psychological satisfaction.
In addition, when host city is televised, the event becomes a monumental public relations and advertising phenomenon which benefits tourism, real estate values and new business, at least in the short term.
Sochi 2014 promises to be an outstanding event for all to enjoy.
This link can also be viewed in English.
Small Town America UGXs

Absecon, NJ

#9 Aug 24, 2010
You speak of the games in general. Sochi is a different matter. It's location is an ideal target for terrorists. Just ONE incident can be a devastating blow to the games. In that case, the terrorists win psychologically, and Russia loses big time. That is a real concern.
Short term effects are noted. And the White elephant will be dead if only one negative happens:
(1) A terrorist incident
(2) Poor showing by Russian teams.
(3) Bad behavior displayed by the host country.

Lets hope nothing goes amiss.

I note you have been clear of your drug habit. Your post was good. Lets hope it is not a temprorary thing. lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foie Gras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Outside France, foodies are gorging themselves ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 common sense 30
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
Lancement d'une nouvelle gamme de foie gras/que... (Oct '14) Oct '14 MarketingEtudes 1
News Responding to complaints from animal rights act... (Sep '11) Dec '13 T Ly 3
News Wire: Chez Simo Bistro Open in Ravenswood; Bon ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Steve 2
News dining review casimir bistro boca raton (Oct '08) Mar '13 Jeanine from Boca 11
News Store says sorry for selling foie gras (Oct '12) Oct '12 CatWhispurrer 1
More from around the web