Force-feeding falls short of humane

Force-feeding falls short of humane

There are 4 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Aug 1, 2009, titled Force-feeding falls short of humane. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

I want to weigh in on the debate regarding banning the production and sale of foie gras in Pittsfield.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

mustang

Pembroke, NC

#1 Aug 1, 2009
P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals!!! Yum,Yum!!!

Since: May 08

Pittsfield, MA

#2 Aug 1, 2009
Excellent letter Ms.Foster,and very salient points are made!
Force feedind anything is torture,and should not enter into the food industry or any other aspect of American life!
Mike

Richmond, MA

#3 Aug 2, 2009
Well thought out letter, indeed. Now we just have to wait for all the immature posters to start their rants. Oh, I see from mustang that's already begun.
religion kills

United States

#4 Aug 3, 2009
Some valid points have been made and it has been known for a long time that this is not a food for enlightened people. It seems now that with more people thinking about where their food comes from, they are starting to realize what those of us who have always thought independantly already knew: don't order it. The letter writer says let legislation show the producers how we feel...I prefer to let the market do that (we don't have legislation in Pittsfield in the first place).

You still can get pate with duck liver that is not made this way, you just can't order the delicious little pan fried bit of almost liquified fat that is the abused version of the key ingredient in that pate and claim to sleep at night.(you may not be able to sleep anyway after such a rich meal!)

However, there are many, many things responsible people shouldn't be doing that is better handled at a broader level. We have the USDA that can govern what is imported and produced here. If the feds won't do anything, then we could look to the state level. But a small, insignificant town like Pittsfield simply has more appropriate (and more urgent) things to work on.

The last time I ate this was many years ago at Le Cirque, and I won't order it again....I can honestly say I have not seen it on a menu in some time. I don't even think L'espinasse still has it, even given their menu direction.

Inhumane? Of course. Appropriate for Pittsfield to fret over? Don't think so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foie Gras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3-star chef Benoit Violier found dead in appare... Feb '16 Lovereal SGVN 1
News Outside France, foodies are gorging themselves ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 common sense 30
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
Lancement d'une nouvelle gamme de foie gras/que... (Oct '14) Oct '14 MarketingEtudes 1
News Responding to complaints from animal rights act... (Sep '11) Dec '13 T Ly 3
News Wire: Chez Simo Bistro Open in Ravenswood; Bon ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Steve 2
News dining review casimir bistro boca raton (Oct '08) Mar '13 Jeanine from Boca 11
More from around the web