Chicago repeals foie gras ban

Chicago repeals foie gras ban

There are 170 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 14, 2008, titled Chicago repeals foie gras ban. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Chicago's aldermen showed Wednesday that they have had their fill of the ban on foie gras and made it legal once again for city restaurants to serve up the delicacy made from duck and goose liver.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Kevin

United States

#176 Jun 2, 2008
Carolyn Kilborn wrote:
Sadly, the definition of a "civilized city" has to be re-examined when the Chicago City Council secretly repealed a law that protected animals from cruelty.
Shutting down the production worldwide is the only thing that would've saved these geese from this 'cruelty.'

Of course, in order to call it cruelty, you'd have to completely ignore that the gorging of waterfoul liver is a natural process that these animals engage in all by themselves prior to migration, and all neurological evidence that the pain receptors in their brains don't respond to force-feeding.

But ignoring all that messy science, you'd still have to pass a worldwide ban on Foie Gras.

Good luck, whackos. Science and economy are not on your side.
ejhickey

Chicago, IL

#178 Jun 3, 2008
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you suggesting that everyone who cares about animals is an antisemitic mass-murder? Your lack of logic goes with your lack of decency.
No. I was responding to someone who compared Mayor Daley with Hitler because Daley was behind the repeal of the ban of foie gras. My point was that not all vegetarians are saints who believe in democracy. There was nothing in my my post that said all people who care about animals are anti-semitic mass murderers. That is your conclusion which demonstrates a complete lack of logic.
Wanda

Afton, WY

#179 Jun 4, 2008
When did humans become masters of every living animal one earth?
To torture these animal's just to satisfy your palette does not justify the means.
It's time we loved and respected everything this good earth has gave us.
Don't mess with Mother Nature!!!!!
Wanda

Afton, WY

#180 Jun 4, 2008
Sorry, I meant, When did humans become masters of every living animal on earth?
My Mother raised ducks, chickens, and geese til she passed away. I have never saw any of them gorge themselves, nor do the wild ducks that return here every spring gorge themselves.
This isn't an argument, just an observation.
jeff young

United States

#181 Dec 2, 2009
strut2k wrote:
At long last, a victory for freedom and individual choice.
Kudos to Mayor Daley and Alderman Tunney for ending this embarassing and foolish ban. Let restraunt owners and diners choose.
Foie gras for everybody!!!
your a moron and i would like to enlarge your mothers liver putting a tube down her throat and force feed her till her liver exspands 20 times its size ,you bumm its cruelty thats not humane.i dont blame you for your stupidity its your parents fault for raising your worthless life
jeff young

United States

#182 Dec 2, 2009
mayor daleys a mental loser with no heart. he gives chicago a bad name the city i love ,born and raised but ashamed of our heartless mayor ,adding to behaviors that are cruel and should not be tolerated by any city and should be looked at from a sane point of view not a nut like him self.
u A holes

AOL

#183 Dec 4, 2009
hundreds of people are murdered and thousands shot ,...every year in chicago ,...not to mention many thousands of rapes and robberies ,... & THE DIM WITTED DEMOMOCRAT CHICAGO ALDERMEN worry about over feeding a DUCK ?
jeff

Eleroy, IL

#184 Feb 22, 2010
UNKL Vinnie wrote:
Right on Chicago!!!!!
It should be the restaurateurs' decision on what to serve and the customers' right to choose to dine there. Choices. Not Rules!
Now if you can only fix the Cubs.
dude you are the biggest moron on the planet, i pray for your heartless and selfish ways, god bless you vinnie
jeff

Eleroy, IL

#185 Feb 22, 2010
u A holes wrote:
hundreds of people are murdered and thousands shot ,...every year in chicago ,...not to mention many thousands of rapes and robberies ,... & THE DIM WITTED DEMOMOCRAT CHICAGO ALDERMEN worry about over feeding a DUCK ?
that right you moron,thats your problem you dont care about nothing only yourself . your selfish and have no heart . change your way of thinking and be a caring person for other than yourself animal abuse is wrong and should be addressed you nut.
Jacob Zeinnerman

Paris, France

#186 Mar 24, 2010
A friend of mine brought some Chinese foie gras entier from his last trip to Pekin. From the looks, it was just like a French Foie gras, but once I tried to cut whole thing, there were huge chunks of beef in the middle. It is unacceptable how Chinese wan't to copy everything, and sell it at discount prices. Their production capacity is gigantic, and it is incredible how the wan't to copy all the terroirs from the world, with their cheap products they will finish by killing all the production of Foie Gras in France.

Thing are not getting better by Chicago's ban, just pushing harder on French producers. But don't worry, as you could still enjoy cheap imitations of Chinese champagne and foie gras next x-mas...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foie Gras Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3-star chef Benoit Violier found dead in appare... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lovereal SGVN 1
News Outside France, foodies are gorging themselves ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 common sense 29
News Maite Kropp: Is satisfying your taste buds wort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Jerry 4
Lancement d'une nouvelle gamme de foie gras/que... (Oct '14) Oct '14 MarketingEtudes 1
News Responding to complaints from animal rights act... (Sep '11) Dec '13 T Ly 3
News Wire: Chez Simo Bistro Open in Ravenswood; Bon ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Steve 2
News dining review casimir bistro boca raton (Oct '08) Mar '13 Jeanine from Boca 11
More from around the web